OOC First Name
Jess S
Blood Status
Muggle
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
(Mitch)
Kari had been eager to have Mitchell over for dinner, and after a bit of discussion had arranged to have him over at seven for dinner on Saturday night. She had found a recipe for a sweet chili shrimp stir fry that both accommodated his lactose intolerance and looked absolutely delicious. Music filled the kitchen/dining room as she worked, the sweet scent of dinner filling the kitchen and making her stomach rumble. She had a pan of walnut studded brownies cooling on the counter, and a red merlot she'd bought. She always enjoyed a good glass of wine, but she also had a pitcher of freshly made sweet tea in case Mitchell didn't care for wine. She had just finished setting the table and serving the food when she heard the doorbell downstairs. If that was Mitchell, then her elder sister would be sure to send him up to the apartment from the bookstore downstairs. She smoothed her shirt, having decided that a simple red t-shirt and black jeans, with a simple pair of black ankle boots. Her dark hair was held in a braid over her shoulder, bangs brushing her eyes. She turned to the stairwell, eager to see if her guest had arrived.

After making sure that all of his work was finished and Apollo was informed that he wouldn't be available tonight just in case the boy wanted to drop by, the professor changed from his suit and tie into something less formal. Mitchell, not knowing whether it was expected of him to bring something along with him, having spent most of his adulthood in the Wizarding world meant that he was a little out of practice when it came to Muggle customes, brought along a bouquet of Orchids to the dinner invitation to thank her for inviting him over and making dinner. He ringed the doorbell and waited patiently, running a hand through his hair to fix it one last time just to make sure that it was fine. He smiled at the woman who opened the door and let him in and followed her instructions to head upstairs to where Kari would be waiting for him. Mitchell was feeling quite nervous as he made his way up the stairwell. It had been an awfully long time ago since he last found him in a similar situation. ''Good evening,'' the professor said when he reached the top of the stairs, announcing his presence in case the woman wasn't nearby.

this is terrible, I'm sorry

Kari smiled as Mitchell appeared. "Good evening!" She replied brightly. "Do come in!" She noticed the flowers in his hand and blushed. "Oh, those are beautiful! Let me get a vase." She hurried back to the counters, crouching down to go through the cupboards. "I hope dinner is alright, I managed to find something that I don't think will affect your allergy." She smiled to herself as she found the right vase. "Here we are." She stood, setting it on the counter. "A-Anyway, how are you?" She asked, feeling embarrassed at how much she was going on.

She took the flowers from him as he stepped into the room, the smell of something fishlike filling his nostrils. ''Something smells good,'' Michell said while she went off to find a vase. ''I hope it wasn't too difficult to make, I wouldn't have wanted to be a burden,'' the Professor said politely when she reentered the room he was standing in. He was aware that it was her idea to have dinner together as a way of saying thank you to him, which he found quite endearing, but it wouldn't sit right with him if she had gone through some trouble to make the meal. He smiled when she put the vase on the counter and smiled, glad that she seemed to be happy with them. He hadn't had the faintest clue as to which to choose from when he was at the florist. ''I am well, thank you. I've been keeping myself busy with preparing for the upcoming exams at the school, which is definitely more work than I expected it to be. What about you? How are you doing?''

Kari smiled at him. "Oh, it was no trouble. I made some sweet chili shrimp stir fry, and some walnut studded brownies you can take back with you," She offered. "Just don't tell Arthur I gave them to you or he might take them all," She teased lightly. "Would you like something to drink? I have a nice red merlot, but if you aren't a wine man I also made some sweet tea." She gestured for him to follow after her to the table, dinner already set in the middle of it. "I wasn't sure what you liked to eat, so I just found something I thought looked good," She tucked her hair behind her ear. "I've been alright, helping my sister with our grandfather's book store. Arthur's father recently came back into her life and she's needed the extra support." She paused at one of the chairs and smiled up at Mitchell. "If you'd like to take a seat I can get your drink," She offered.

He smiled when she told him that making this particular dish had been no trouble. He would've felt bad if it did. ''I won't say a thing, although I might have to share them with my godson who happens to know Arthur,'' Mitchell replied. He had checked with Apollo if he knew someone whose last name was Taylor after he returned to the castle the day Karissa and he met, and funnily enough, he did. ''Sure, I'd love a glass of wine,'' he said while followed her to the table. ''It looks and smells marvellous, Karissa.'' He would have to ask her for the recipe at the end of the night so that he could make it himself too. ''Have you done anything with your findings yet?'' Mitchell asked, curious to know whether she'd set out to explore more about the Wizarding world or not after their hour-long conversation discussing theories and whatnot. Taking a seat opposite of the woman, he smiled once more and nodded his head.

Karissa giggled as he said he'd have to share them with his godson. "Then I'll have to make some for Arthur later, or he'll be cross with me." She smiled brightly, shaking her head. "My nephew is rather mischevious and I would really rather not have him cross with me again." She smiled fondly, remembering how he'd rigged her piano to shoot confetti at her when she played. She nodded as he agreed to the wine, bringing out the merlot and setting it on the table. She smiled brightly, reaching into her pocket for the recipe and unfolding it as she drew it out, sliding it across the table to him. "I saved the recipe in case you wanted to make it yourself." She offered.

She poured them each a glass of wine before serving the food, settling more into her chair once they both had food and drink. "Oh, I don't know if I intend to do anything with my findings," She told him. "I can't exactly share them with my usual circles, and I imagine it would seem awfully presumptuous of me to present my findings to the wizarding community so soon after my introduction to it." She sipped her wine. "Though I did find several more interesting connections in greek mythology. The greek pantheon and histories are so rich in lore and culture already, there was so much to delve into." She sighed happily, pushing her glasses up on her nose. "There I am rambling again. Don't mind me. How have your classes been going?" She asked him, a sparkle in her eyes. It was really luck that had brought them together. Hopefully, they could become friends. The wizarding professor of Muggle Studies and the muggle historian searching for magical traces in history. It was ironic, but in a good way.

Mitchell laughed softly. ''Maybe Apollo will be kind enough to share them with your nephew,'' he replied, although doubted if the boy would really share them with anyone. While Apollo was kind, he never knew the boy as someone who shared something that was brought along especially for him. Maybe he'd share it with his friend, they seemed to be rather close. ''Oh, I'd love the recipe for this, actually.'' He picked it up to store it away in one of his pockets. If all would go well then perhaps he'd be able to make this again for himself - it really did smell good.

He smiled kindly when she poured him a glass of wine. He didn't know much about wine other than putting your nose inside of the glass to smell it, at least that was what he saw his parents doing each time they tried out a new flavour. However, rather than smelling it first, he would look stupid for sure if he did so, Mitchell sipped his wine like Karissa and listened attentively as she answered his question. He should honestly have figured as much, of course she wouldn't be able to share them with the other historians she knew. It'd be awfully strange for Muggle historians. ''I wouldn't mind helping you with your findings,'' he said, ''The year is almost over so I would've got plenty of time as well to do so.'' Although he already possessed some knowledge of the connections both worlds shared, their history books generally talked about a couple of such connections, he would not mind helping the woman with her findings. Perhaps they would even find someone not yet discovered by someone.

He smiled once again when she apologised for rambling. ''It's okay, I wouldn't mind hearing more about it.'' He truly did. He had always wanted to something with history, Muggle and wizardry, but the time was never there. ''The classes are going alright, at least I hope so. I've mostly been busy organising trips and preparing for the upcoming exams. I have had some trouble connecting, for lack of a better word, with one student. It's probably because I said that he needed counselling in front of a group of people. Apparently this kid wrote something along the lines of 'Professor North Stinks' on a wall? My godson told me that his friend found out about it, and another teacher confirmed it. I do hope that this will settle down next year. Maybe I should have a talk with him...'' Before Mitchell knew it, he too, was rambling. He decided to take a bite of his food to shut himself up.

Kari paused as Mitchell offered to help her. Her eyes brightened, both at the thought of spending more time with the man and the chance to delve further into her new studies. "Oh, would you really?" She spoke, a new twinkle in her eye. She bit her lip to keep herself from smiling too hard at him. "I think I would really rather like that." She pushed her glasses up her nose again, smiling shyly at the man.

Kari began to eat her food as Mitchell spoke, setting her wine next to her plate. It really was rather good, she was glad she'd picked it. She swallowed as he finished speaking. "Oh, dear, that sounds dreadful. For both of you, really. I do hope things are better with him next year," She offered shyly.

Things seemed to go smoothly after that. They slowly ate their dinner, and Karissa found herself relaxing the more they spoke. She had never been very comfortable with other people, but somehow, with Mitchell, it was different. He was different, in a good way. She found herself telling him all sorts of things. She spoke of her family, of being raised by her grandfather after her parents went on an expedition and not returning, of how close she was to Kameron and Killian despite the age difference between them. She told him of her degrees in History and the classical arts, her years studying and traveling abroad

She had just finished her wine when the subject turned to men in her life. She giggled lightly. "Oh, I've been caught up with my studies for so long. It's just been Milo and I for a while now," she had never actually had anyone in her life like that before. She didnt want to just come out and say that, though. Especially at her age.

As the night progressed, both of them seemed to be getting over their initial shyness. It occurred to him whilst eating that he did not have that many friends apart from the handful he'd made as a teacher at Hogwarts. Hopefully whatever this was could turn into a friendship as well. God knows he needs to be out more. He listened attentively while Karissa told him about certain things of her life, and in return told her bits and pieces about his also. Speaking of how he had been raised in the Muggle world despite his family having magical blood, of his sister and her odd job of interviewing random people for the Evening Prophet, of his degree in Muggle politics and the two people he'd come to regard as his best friends, which eventually led to him telling her about his godchildren and how surprised he was to find out that his godson also had magical blood in him, and ended things with telling her a little about his previous job working as a metal-charmer before he would ask her, very sheepishly, about the men in her life. He was about to ask who Milo was when a giant orange fluff ball started headbutting his leg, purring. He had to look twice to make sure that it was a cat and not a small tiger. ''I assume that the cat headbutting my leg is Milo?'' he asked, reaching out to the cat so he could pet it.

Karissa listened attentively as Mitchell told her about himself. She found herself leaning on the table, chin in her hands, captivated by the stories he told. She hardly noticed that they had eaten dinner already some time ago and that it was getting a little darker outside. She blinked as he asked about her cat and looked under the table. "Oh, Milo, you're up." She kissed her lips at the cat, smiling as he padded away from Mitchell and up into her lap. She pulled her grandfather's watch from her pocket as she scratched his ears, checking the time. "You must be hungry, let's get you some dinner." She told the cat, and he jumped from her lap and padded to the kitchen. She stood, gathering the empty plates from the table. "You're welcome to take some back with you, I made too much," She told Mitchell. "For now, though, would you be interested in some dessert? If you have time to spare, of course. I enjoy your company, I'd be thrilled if you could spare a bit more time for me," She admitted with a shy smile.

He followed the cat as it walked away from him. While he didn't have any pets himself anymore, Mitchell had always wondered whether he should adopt himself a cat. It'd be a great companion at the school, especially when he was cooped up in his office. Perhaps he should visit Obsidian Harbour over the break. Because Mitchell hadn't been paying much attention to the time as the night continued on, he found himself a little surprised to see that the sun was already setting when he glanced out of the window. ''I think I've got some time to spare before I must return to the castle,'' Mitchell replied, turning back at Karissa. It was the weekend after all so the professor didn't have to worry about having to get up out of bed early the next morning. ''I'd be more than interested in dessert,'' he added, not wanting the night to end just yet. ''And yes, I would love to take some back with me.'' He genuinely liked the meal she had cooked for them, it was definitely something different than what the house-elves usually made for them.

Karissa walked into the kitchen, placing the dishes into the sink and quickly washing them. "Good, I'm sure we can handle a few brownies. They're bound to be cooled by now." She set the dishes out to dry, moving over to place the rest of the dinner into a Tupperware bowl. "Would you like another glass of wine as well?" She inquired, moving over and cutting into the brownies. She turned, offering him a small plate with a large brownie on it. "I'm curious, Mitchell." She leaned against the counter, studying her brownie a bit closer than she maybe needed to. "I'm not... stealing your free time from anyone, am I?" She inquired softly. She wasn't sure why she wanted to know if he had someone else in his life, she had never bothered herself with these sort of things before. But the man fascinated her, and he was so kind about her work... she took a bite of her brownie, trying to push those thoughts aside. She wasn't exactly a catch, hardly someone a man like Mitchell would notice. It would be best to just ignore those thoughts now. He could be her friend, she didn't have many of those anymore. Friendship was nice.

Mitchell smiled as she walked off to get them the brownies. He was pleased with how the evening was going and was happy that he hadn't made a fool of himself yet. The only blunder he'd made thus far was not offering to help her with the dishes, as he would've gladly helped her with that since he dirtied half of them. Yet when she returned with a small plate and a brownie on it, the woman had already finished the dishes and had them set out to dry. ''I would like another glass of wine, please,'' he said, feeling at least a little guilty that he let her do all the work. Mitchell took the plate from her and thanked her for it, smelling at the brownie before taking a bite out of it. He glanced back up at Karissa when the spoke again and shook his head, he was still chewing, to indicate that she wasn't stealing him from anyone this evening. ''I don't think you are,'' he said after he had swallowed it down. ''At least I don't think that I've made other plans for tonight.'' He could be rather forgetful at times but Mitchell had made absolutely sure that he did not have anything else planned today. ''These are very good, by the way,'' he said before taking another bite.

Kari set her brownie on the table, pouring them both another glass of wine. "Good," She managed, "I would hate to be a bother," She set the wine back down and returned to her seat. She still didn't know if there was anyone in his life, but that was alright. She didn't need to know. She sipped on her wine, giving him her best smile. "I'm glad you like them. You mentioned sharing them before- Apollo, I think? Could you tell me about him?" She inquired, cradling her wine in her hands. She wondered if he was much like her impetuous nephew. She smiled at the thought of Arthur, wondering how he was taking being away from his mother.

He smiled at the woman when she poured him another glass of wine, thanking her kindly whilst doing so. ''Of course,'' Mitchell said, shifting positions in his chair. ''So, he's the son of my best friends and only found out about magic earlier this year. It's been both difficult and funny to see him experience this world. A part of you kind of wants to help him guide his way through all of it, but the other part wants him to experience it all on his own together with his friend. It's odd trying to find a balance in between that.'' He decided to take another bite from his brownie before continuing. ''Apollo's a nice kid, a little shy still and trying to find his place in all of this, but I think that he genuinely enjoys his time at the castle so far,'' He nodded his head, smiling slightly as fond memories of the boy flashed by. ''What about nephew? What is he like, should I prepare for any trouble from him?

Kari sipped her wine, listening as Mitchell told her of Apollo. She chuckled as he finished. "Oh, Apollo does sound like a sweetheart." She had already finished her brownie, so she just swished her wine in her glass a bit. "Oh, you should most definitely prepare for trouble. Arthur is a quiet boy, but he... well, he's quite the little devil. Full of mischief." She giggled. "My older brother, Killian, he annoyed Arthur one day. I don't know how he managed it, but the next morning my brother came in yelling because Arthur had glued a bad toupee to his head." She giggled at the memory. "It was a week before it fell off. Or, or there was the time his mother and he were arguing, so he replaced her travel mug with a can of those exploding snakes or whatever you call it. She was surprised at first not to get her coffee, but her face when she tried to open it to see what was wrong," Kari giggled harder. "When those snakes popped out, I haven't heard her scream like that since we were children."

Mitchell finished his brownie as he listened to Karissa talk about her nephew. He chuckled at the description of the boy, though hoped that he would never be on the receiving end on one of these pranks. He could see, however, why Apollo held him in such high regard whenever the subject of friends came up in their private conversations. Hopefully, Karissa's nephew would pull the more joking side out of his godson. Mitchell liked the pranks he pulled, occasionally. ''Sounds like someone I should keep satisfied then, let's hope none of my lessons will bore him if he chooses to take Muggle Studies in his third year,'' he said before taking a sip of his wine. He glanced down his watch to keep track of the time. It was getting late, and while he did not actually want the night to be over just yet, he would have to go back to the castle at some point.

Kari bit her lip. "Oh, I, ah, should probably warn you." She pushed her glasses up her nose. "Arthur's father was never a part of his life until recently. Its... a bit of a mess, his father is a good man, but Arthur grew up with just his mother, his uncle, and me. He... hes really rather protective of me." She gave Mitchell a shy smile. "I've never been very good at making friends. I'm worried he might not take your presence well." She took a sip of her wine. "He put a cricket down a colleagues shirt one day because he wasn't invited over," she admitted sheepishly.

She hid the twinge of disappointment when she noticed Mitchell looking at his watch. It was getting late, wasnt it? She sighed softly, gathering their plates again. "Before you go, maybe I could give you my notes? If youd like them, I mean," she bit her lip nervously. "And you can let me know later when you're free again?" She offered shyly, moving back into the kitchen and stepping around Milo to reach the sink.

Mitchell continued to listen to Karissa. It was clear to him that he would need to find some way to make Arthur like him, and fast if he didn't want to be on the receiving end of a bad prank. Perhaps the professor could ask his godson for help on this, they knew each other after all. If he did not want to help, Mitchell figured that he could always, how immature that may be, prank the Gryffindor back. He knew that she had caught him looking at his watch when she asked if he wanted to have her notes before he went off again. ''I would be more than happy to take them with me,'' Mitchell said, standing up as well and following her into the kitchen. ''I've had a really lovely time tonight, thank you for inviting me over,'' he added with a smile. ''I will let you know what I think of it the moment I've read them. Before I go, is there anything I can still do? I'd hate to leave you with all the dirty dished and stuff.''

Kari started to wash the dishes, even though there weren't many, smiling up at Mitchell as he thanked her. "Well, thank you for coming. Honestly, I wasn't completely sure you would. But I'm glad you did." She finished washing them and set them on the counter. "Well, if you really wanted I suppose you can dry these and put them back in the cupboard there," She nodded towards it. "Just give me a moment while I gather my notes." She padded away. It took her several minutes before she came back carrying an old, tattered leather-bound journal. "Here we are, this is everything I've done so far. It's mostly just been going through Greek mythology, though this is much more organized." She smiled shyly and offered the book to Mitchell. "I do hope to go into Norse or Egyptian once I wrap up with Greece."

''And miss out on such a lovely dinner? Never.'' Mitchell said. Rather than using magic to dry the dishes, Mitchell picked up a towel and started drying them off whilst Karissa went to gather her notes. He would've used magic if he was one hundred per cent sure that he wouldn't be violating some Ministry of Magic rule, there were so many these days. When she returned to the kitchen the professor put the back dishes in the cupboard the pointed towards earlier. He took the journal from her after drying his own hands and smiled, ''Thanks, I will look over them as soon as possible,'' he said. ''Perhaps I could help with ancient Egypte once you're finished with Greece?'' Mitchell added as he moved towards the stairs. ''Again, thanks for the evening, I had a lovely time.''

Kari giggled at his enthusiasm. "Well, maybe if you ask nicely we might be able to do it again sometime." She smiled shyly as he took her journal. She nodded as he suggested they go over Egypt once they'd finished Greece. "I lived in Cairo for a few years, you know, when I was younger." She commented offhandedly, leaning against the counter as he started for the stairs. She smiled and opened her mouth to bid him goodbye before jumping up again. "No, wait!" She grabbed the brownies and dinner off the counter and rushed over. "You almost left these," She teased lightly, offering them to him with a bright smile and sparkling eyes.

He looked surprised when she told him that she had lived in Cairo for a few years and said, ''Then you must have some knowledge on Egyptian mythology already!'' At least he thought that she would as Egyptians were quite proud of their history and mythology. That would definitely help them with their research. ''Oh, haha,'' Mitchell mumbled. He took the brownies and the leftovers from Karissa and thanked her for it, a little embarrassed that he had almost left without either of them after asking if he could take some home with him. ''Anyway, I will write to you once I've looked over your notes. Have a good night, Karissa.''

Kari giggled. "Maybe just a little," She told him with a sly grin. "I did an extensive paper some years ago on the histories and mythologies of ancient Egypt." She smiled as he seemed to be a bit embarrassed, managing to keep herself from giggling but still smiling brightly up at him. She tucked her hands behind her back as he took the food. "I'll look forward to it," She told him shyly, pushing her glasses up on her nose. "Thank you for coming. Good night, Mitchell." She smiled at him one more time before turning and moving back into the apartment to get a glass of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back