Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Renata <3
Wand
Knotted 13" Sturdy Pear Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Eugene hadn't been able to help out at the club fair with Casper, since he'd needed to do accio things, but to make up for it Eugene had decided to do a little half event, not a real club event, but almost more like an open day. He had put notices up in all of the common rooms, inviting first years (but anyone) to come and experience the room, and perhaps pick up an instrument. He wouldn't do as Casper said offering an instrument to everyone, but at least give them an opportunity to look at what instruments were available in the room and encourage people to continue in their magical pursuits. He was lightly playing his guitar, sat on a stool waiting for people to come by.

Sky loved the arts club. the music rooms had all kinds od instruments that she could play. she had chosen the viola as her favourite but it didn't mean that she didn't like to experiment on others. at the suggestion of a try and instrument event she headed to the room. She saw that engine was there but other than that the room seemed pretty quiet. "Hello Eugene. what are you playing?" she asked. before looking at the selection of instruments, picking a guitar. she knew how to play it. it didn't feel as natrual to her as other string instruments but she knew it was a popular instrument and one that was used in many styles of music. she started to strum a melody, an ear worm that had been filling her head trying to get out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eugene was just lightly strumming the guitar as the first person walked in. He recognised the girl, as someone who was a musical person and part of the arts club. "Hey cuz," he greeted warmly stopping his playing. "Oh nothing in particular," he watched as she took the guitar, he was sure this wasn't her usual instrument, but she began strumming a melody and after a moment of listened he began to play along with her. "I didn't realise you played guitar," he commented with a warm smile.

René had always felt a little out of the loop with his roommates, considering how many of them played an instrument except for him. It wasn't to say he hadn't tried before, but he'd never managed to get anywhere near good enough to feel like he could join in, considering he'd heard Manaia, Nolan, Eugene, and even Charlie play much better before. Still, the art's club offering a chance to try out some new instruments was intriguing, maybe René just hadn't found the right one, since guitar just made his fingers hurt and he could never quite get the hang of strumming, and pianos just intimidated him.

Stepping into the arts room however, René paused. He'd completely forgotten this would be run by Eugene, and with the event geared at least in part towards new first years, René felt like he stuck out like a sore thumb as he tried to awkwardly shuffle his way over to where some instruments were sitting near a far wall. "How are you even supposed to play this, it's so small," he asked weakly, holding up a ukulele with an baffled expression before flinching as it made a discordant twang as he plucked one of the strings.

Eugene smiled as he spotted someone else joining them. "Hey cuz," he greeted. He knew he was less close with Rene than he was with the other boys, but he was always keen to be friendly with him, and make that effort. He knew it probably wasn't easy to be friends with them in the dorm when all they did was play music. He gave a little cringe at the discordant twang of the ukulele. "Oft boy it's out of tune. I can tune it if you want?" he said, "Ukuleles are a fun instrument and generally easier than guitar because it's fewer strings, it's smaller so you have to be more careful, but also easier because the chords require less movement," he explained to Rene. He wasn't sure if the other boy was interested in playing the ukulele but he would still give all the advice he could on it.

Sky was surprised that Eugene greeted her as cuz. he wasn't her cousin. her only cousin was back in Norway. though she had some friends who were sort of cousins in Ireland too. she paused her playing as she spoke. "Oh the viola is my favourite. but I play a few instruments. mostly string" she said. plucking one of the strings as she tuned it slightly. setting it to not be quite such a jarring imitation of an A.
the door opened again and someone else came in, Rene. one of the other fourth years. "hello Rene" she said watching and suprised that he picked up a ukulele. she flinched as he twanged it. it wasn't something that she had played before. but she could dell from the metric sounding twang that it iwas out of tune. she listened to Eugenes description of the instrument. it was interesting mentioning things she hadn't thought of. "anything played on a ukulele already sounds like it is being played on a beach" she said.

Since Eugene had mentioned the arts club, Renata had been really keen to have a look at it. She loved music and being around it, and while she was absolutely not a virtuoso, she liked to play a little and have fun with it. She was really keen to hear what everyone played like - since she saw Sky's viola at the sign ups she wondered if her roommate would be there and she could hear her play.

In fact, both the people she recognized, as well as another boy on the Quidditch team, were there already, and Renata gave a sheepish grin. "I swear I am not stalking you," she started, throwing her hands up like she was caught. "It's nice to see you all." She smiled at the assorted students in the room and headed over to the percussion instruments, giving the xylophone an experimental few taps and playing a very simple melody. She sat down behind some drums, looking over at the others in curiosity.

[quietly laughing at Hufflepuff only time]

"Ah yeah, I think I've seen my brother mess around with one before, they sound pretty nice. In tune, I mean," René said sheepishly, handing the instrument over with a nod of thanks when Eugene offered to tune it. Sully was the sort of person who seemed to just be able to be effortlessly good at things like a ukulele but when René tried he'd never been able to manage it. He'd always thought it was a really cool thing about his brother until he found out he wasn't able to effortlessly pick things up as well, which was just unfair. "Oh huh, hey," he said awkwardly, returning the girl's wave, unable to remember what her name was.. Sky or Melody? Harmony? She had like three names and René was never sure which one to use and now he was well past the point of asking her.

He was saved by any more small talk when Renata joined them, offering her a crooked smile and a small laugh, shaking his head. Renata was pretty new to the school, and already on the Quidditch team which made René a little wary, but she seemed cool enough. "All good, didn't think you were," he said, waving a hand vaguely before realizing she was probably joking. "You uh, play?" He asked, nodding towards the drum kit she'd sat behind.

[and just third and fourth years, not first years which is what it seems to be aimed at]

as the door opened again Niamh looked up and smiled warmly when she saw Renata coming in. "Hello Renata. It is good toes you here" she said. before giving the guitar a strum glad that it sounded in tune now.he watched as she moved over to the percussion area playing a tune on a xylophone before sitting behind the drums. she mused that she had never really played procussion. the xylophone and glockenspiel would be at least similar to a piano. but drums. they were not something she had any idea of how to get her head around. "should we have a go at playing something?" she asked. as comfortable as it was to sit there with a guitar across her lap the air seemed to be hanging like a still vail around them waiting to be painted with music.

Eugene gave an excited wave to Renata when she joined them. He took the ukulele from Rene and took a moment to carefully tune it. It was a little trickier, but he had good experience tuning guitars so he did what he needed to and then handed it back to Rene. "Ukuleles are fun," he told him. It seemed there was a lot of young interest, but plenty of people who were keen and he was happy with that. He nodded to Sky, "I'd be down for that," he said, he wasn't sure if Rene or Renata would be interested in it, or feel confident to jump in. "Why don't you lead us in?" he suggest, "People can join if they'd like?"

((im a firstie at heart okay))

Renata nodded at René, who she recognized from the Quidditch team. It seemed like a lot of people she knew from Hufflepuff were here, which was nice - meeting new people was always exciting but also pretty exhausting in the grand scheme of things. "Just a little. My mother's a musician but I didn't really get much of her talent." She did a small drumroll, looking back up with a grin. "But I try anyway, because it's fun, yes?" She hadn't found anything she felt confident in saying she was especially good at, but she liked doing everything she could anyway in the hope that maybe she'd find it, and until then, be average at everything else. Her foot began tapping the pedal in a steady rhythm, like a metronome - not overpoweringly loud or complicated but hopefully giving the more adept musicians something to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back