Mr. Blue Sky

Deimos Ares

Panting heavily, the wolf chased after it's prey, dodging trees with precision. It was gaining on the creature. It could almost taste it now. The wolf's eyes were focused on the thing before it, sprinting for all it's worth. But the creature could not escape the wolf; it miscalculated it's footing and within seconds, the wolf had pounced.

Birds were fluttering through the crisp morning air of Spring, the trees, still and silent. The forest floor was coated in soft, damp black earth.
The place seemed imbued in silence but for the gentle snoring of a sleeping man. His head was using an animal carcass as a pillow and, apart from the thick coating of mud and blood, he was completely naked. Deimos was in a peaceful slumber, the wolf had long since disappeared and it's stomach, satisfied. A small bird flew down beside Deimos's head, joining him in the carcass, pecking at the flesh left over. Deimos was blissfully unaware of what was in the forest nearby, watching him.

Dover had entered the strange forest in the early hours of the morning, another blot on the landscape of her life. She had forgotten now the amount of forests she had passed through to reach this one and was simply grateful that she was able to stay hidden as she had so far. Each time she ventured away from a forest, she was in grave danger not only from those prejudiced in the magical community but also of being sighted by muggles. By night she travelled and did so with great speed so that by day she would be able to rest in whatever glade she found for herself.

This forest did not sit well with her though. Something was not quite right, instantly her hand drew out the broadsword that had passed through the generations of her female kin and swinging it about her head before settling it in a steady grip in both hands before her she moved cautiously through the forest. The scent of a beast was not so far away and the scent of a kill was mingled with it. What creature had been slain this night? It had been a full moon and she knew full well what beast it was she was approaching. The human guise did not fool her for even a moment.

She stood over the sleeping figure, watching him intently. He was handsome and he was very naked and though Dover should have been fearful and weary she was none of these. Instead she was highly amused. With the tip of her blade she tapped him lightly on his chest to wake him.

"Wake" she called to him, glancing at the remnants of the creature that he had killed. Her stomach reminded her all too impolitely that she was hungry herself, "wake and rise slowly".
She ordered the tip of her blade tapping him harder.

Deimos felt something cold and sharp poking him. He opened his eyes but remained still. "Damn birds.." He grumbled, deciding something was pecking him. But as he sat up, Deimos could see something large and most certainly not a bird. He blinked in the morning light, confused. There was a centaur staring down at him. Deimos was stuck for words. This was one situation he had never prepared for but nevertheless, Deimos got to his feet, his head turning this way and that as to where his clothes were: If this centaur was hostile then he would be unarmed. Though this was a little ironic as Deimos's job was dealing with such beings. Then again, his life was full of irony.

As there was no sign of his clothes within a few meters and a centaur was pointing a blade at him, Deimos decided to stand there, facing the creature. "Sorry," Deimos said, trying to assume a calm and business-like attitude as one would do if they were wearing a suit.. Much unlike the suit of blood Deimos wore. "Can I help you?"

The human woke and slowly stood up obviously confused and more especially when he saw her standing there. Dover restrained herself from grinning broadly at the specimen before her at any other time perhaps she would have run him through with her blade but today the beast was fortunate that the stars and Gaia smiled on him. She did not lower her blade however unsure just what his own intent was.

"I do not need you help beast. You on the other hand seem in extreme need of your mortal clothing" she quirked her eyebrows at the magnificent body that stood before her. Magnificent as far as torso at least. The two legs disgusted her greatly but she found him tolerable enough. Dover glanced away as if she had heard a noise when in truth to was to hide the burdening grin that was intent on surfacing.

Deimos took this opportunity to look about the trees nearby. One of then had an 'X' carved into it. He headed towards this one and reached into the trunk, pulling out a pair of jeans, a thin grey t-shirt, a pair of shoes and, most importantly, a wand. He dressed quickly before turning back to the centaur, pulling on his shirt, now armed with a wand. "I wouldn't have come here if I'd known it was centaur territory," Deimos said genuinely. Yet, he looked about, his sense of smell still heightened. It seemed that this female centaur was alone.

"It was the first place I could think of." He added awkwardly, fastening his shoes and straightening up, coming face to face with the centaur, looking directly at her eyes to gage her emotion. Of course he had seen centaurs before; Deimos saw them all the time at school and made a point to avoid their part of the forest.

Dover stepped back a fraction as he moved away, she did not think for a second that he was going to run especially in the state of undress he was in. She looked on with complete amusement as he walked away towards a tree, unable still to take her eyes of his naked form. It was a shame he was not a centaur, he was built better than most humans she had seen and even most centaurs at that.

As he retreived some articles of clothing she frowned, discovering she was disappointed that he felt the need to cover himself up. Her keen eyes caught sight of the wand and again she raised her sword but this time a small knife attached to her wrist band flicked into her hand and she trained the two on him as he straightened up from putting shoes on. He was tall for a human and they stared at one another for a while.

"Put your wand away and I will lower these human" she told him, her breathing heightened. Dover detested those magic sticks more than most other things she had witnessed in her life. She would prefer to cross him as a beast than with that stick.
"This is not centaur land, I am merely passing through" she told him honestly, waiting for him to obey her before she lowered her weapons from him.

Deimos had not expected to be confronted with yet more weapons. He pocketed his wand obediently, raising his hands slightly to show he was not going to attack. He still had the animal blood and earth smothered over parts of his face. He didn't want to upset the centaur and clean his face with his wand so he used the inside to wipe most of the muck off.

He had never really learnt centaur etiquette and so, did not know the usual manner of greeting. He had learnt, however, that centaurs could be hostile beings when angered.
Deimos offered his hand but did so slowly. He was cautious as to whether these sudden movements would startle the centaur and result in the loss of a hand... or worse. "I'm Deimos Ares." He said clearly.

With his wand stored away she lowered her blades into their hilts once more then had to suffer him cleaning himself with a patch of his clothing. She would have told him about the stream within a league of where they stood but refrained from doing so as that was where she was heading and prolonging his company was not what she wanted at all, no matter how he intriqued her.

She watched him slowly hold a hand out to her but she backed away from it shaking her head.
"Your ways are not mine human" just because this was how the two-legs liked to greet did not mean she had to abide by it.
"Deimos I am..." she paused attempting to think of a name deciding eventually on the one that she had heard most recently from passing humans. The pause was not long and seemed only for effect before she continued, "Dover".
It would not matter to this person if she were Dover, Gaia, Hercules or Verna but it mattered to her who did know her.

Deimos withdrew his hand, a little disappointed by her reaction but nevertheless, taking new knowledge from this. "Nice to meet you, Dover." Deimos said pleasantly, trying to gage some sort of relationship with Dover other than a hostile one. He did not want to overstay his welcome and he was sure that the centaur- that Dover, had much better things to do than stand around, nattering away with humans. Well, werewolves.

It was pleasing that Dover had put away the blades as Deimos really didn't want to lose his life. Not right now, at least.
"Dover, as much of a pleasure as this is, I am sure you have many a better thing to be doing at this moment in time?" He wondered if that sounded a little too.. harsh, and so he quickly added, "Not that I would want to cut this meeting short, or anything." In truth, Deimos was beginning to feel uncomfortable with the still hostile aura of the centaur. Alright, he didn't expect her to offer him a cup of tea or anything but a little bit of acceptance wouldn't kill her.

She merely nodded her head at him as he spoke to her. Never one to stand still for very long, she began to circle him looking at him up and down from head to toe. She suspected he did well with his female counterparts and rolled her eyes at this thought. She had in effect run from the attentions of the most austere of centaurs she had ever known, he had also wiped out her entire family.

As she stood once more infront of him choosing to disregard all he had just said, she attempted to smile. It had been a long time since she had been in the company of anyone she could just speak with and she was not ready for him to leave just yet.
"Are you a long way from your home?"

"I.." Deimos paused for a moment, looking to the centaur. If she had been human then he would not have pushed certain thoughts from his head but it was his werewolf side egging these thoughts on. His eyes flicked away, fixing on the ground. "Yes, quite some way," he said, focusing on the conversation and not on the parts of Dover resembling a human. "I might walk back today." He wanted to slap himself. Walk back? Walk back home? He lived at least two miles away! Why didn't he just disapparate? In truth, Deimos was enjoying the company of someone who did not flee him, having known what he was.

He couldn't lead the centaur all the way back to his home- he shared it with an old woman who's sight was fast fading, but that said, she knew what Deimos was and tolerated him but he very much doubted she would tolerate the arrival of a centaur. He looked to the centaur but Deimos mentally slapped himself once more before muttering under his breath. He smiled at Dover, blocking out the rest of his mind. "A walk would do me good." He decided, speaking more to himself than Dover, "You're more than welcome to join me." There, that was extending the hand of friendship, right?

She could only smile to herself as she noted his reaction to her human half, he was not the first human male she had encountered who had become enamored by her appearance. Female humans did not expose much of their form but tended to cover themselves with an array of garments that were needless. Dover's toned arms flexed as she purposefully reached up to pull back some hair that had escaped her plait. Her perfectly flat stomach constricted to show off her toned abs to his gazing eye, of course her ample chest was barely clad behind a makeshift garment of her own. Two triangular pieces of deer hide smoothed and scrubbed attached to plaited centaur tail hair to hold it fast to her figure. Even with this attempt at decency it just about covered her, the eye was left to behold rounded flesh that caused quite a foray amongst the centaurs of her tribe.

"I will walk with you Deimos" she smiled at him lowering her hands, reaching behind and patting her back she could not help but tease him, "if you get tired, I am sure I am strong enough for you to ride."

Deimos tried to say something but he ended up spluttering and failing. Instead, he simply nodded. He began walking, attempting to distract his mind from Dover for a minute or two- which was hard seeing as she was there with him. He took a moment to travel deep into his thoughts as he walked through the forest, heading the direction of his home. His wand was in his pocket, ready should he need it but not out in a threatening manner.

This was the most Deimos had socialized with a centaur- or probably anyone, for that fact. He was not a social creature and his condition caused him to shy away.. Yet, as he thought about it, he seemed to be using his condition as an excuse to live. Why? He wanted to have a wife someday and children and he was in his thirties now. He didn't have much time left so surely he could allow himself to at least attempt a life? But no. Deimos refused to be around people, to let them in; he was scared he would harm them, he was scared that they would hurt him. The world had become one great vicious cycle.

Ignoring these thoughts which did nothing for his self esteem, Deimos turned to Dover, making another attempt at civilized conversation. That was a laugh. "So.. Do you have a family? Like parents or siblings or.." His eyes fell to a stomach and he felt something stir. He forced his eyes to her face again, "or children?" He did understand a bit about centaurs but only as herd creatures. Alone, would suggest something was wrong.

She walked along beside him, slowly and rather awkwardly for it was not her way to stroll about. Casting sideways glances at him she found herself wishing he had the body of a centaur. He would have made a marvellous mate, powerful, devastating and delicious. Realizing where her thoughts once again were moving she spluttered aloud, aghast at herself. Humans were not good looking at all, they were ugly creatures ... yet, she found this one most appealing.

He attempted a conversation between them but Dover could not do anything but give the truth which would of course ultimately kill his attempts.
"Killed. My father slain for clan leadership and my mother and brother slain by those loyal to the new leader. I fled, though I he did not want me dead. He wanted to mate me with, sire his heir. It was an advantageous move on his part but he did not expect me to flee."

She stopped talking and continued walking, her right hand reaching up every now and then to brush against an overhanging leaf.
"And you wolf" she grinned at him, "what of your family if we are sharing these ... pleasantries."

Of all the things he had to ask, Deimos had chosen to speak of family and now he had learnt part of Dover's rather tragic story. He felt guilty in asking such a thing- especially as he had had a decent life with some family still alive... Well, he hoped so. Deimos had lost contact with his father and had not spoken to his mother in many, many years. Not since he had first left school and told her of his condition: She was a crazy woman, a cannibal and she banished him from the land of her home. Alright, so his relationship with his mother wasn't great but at least he and his father had got on well.

He wished he hadn't ask the question evermore, as Dover played the mirror card, sending the question right back at him. "I have no children or wife. I have.. Well, I've lost contact with them but I had a father- The loving and accepting sort, thankfully." He hesitated for a moment, deciding to save the worst for last. "I have a brother- Nereus. He's a squib." He had learnt not to talk about his brother but he loved him. They were still brothers even if Nereus could do no magic. And his brother had achieved more than he: Nereus had a wife and Deimos was expecting a letter any day, informing him that he was an uncle. "And my mother.." Deimos looked down, shaking his head. He turned to Dover, a weak smile upon his face, "Is a cannibal who banished me and Nereus from her home land. Naturally, I still go to Africa occasionally. She's not everywhere at once. Thankfully." Now he rolled his eyes, smiling properly at Dover, shrugging his shoulders and adding "Not the closest of people, my mother and I."

She walked along with him listening intently to all he had to say, some words troubled her for they had more human meaning then anything and did not exist in the world of the centaur. She was tempted to ask him what a squib and cannibal were but for now refrained from doing so, but she would ask before their meeting was through.

"I did not intend for you to think my life was tragic if that is what you did think. Up until two weeks ago I lived an idealic life, my father the chieftain of our tribe and I his only daughter. I was able to get away with much that other female centaurs did not" she laughed then, "I am a force to be reckoned with or so my father used to inform me."

Trotting a little ahead she lifted a very low hanging branch from their path, she was sure he could have done so himself but she liked being independent and relying on no one especially a male, though the stars were constantly telling her of a meeting Dover wondered for a moment if this was what they had foretold.

Deimos felt sorry for Dover and considered her life somewhat tragic, whether she liked it or not. But she seemed so strong about it all and a woman- a centaur like that could not go without some form of admiration. Deimos was enjoying the conversation but his heart in it had been killed slightly by the talk of family.
Deimos needed to make contact with his brother, to reconnect with his father and possibly pay another visit to his mother- Though she would probably kill him. It was really quite fortunate that she had never learned to apparate, otherwise, Deimos would have to go on the run.

They continued walking but in silence. Deimos had no idea how long it had been but suddenly he could hear the faint sound of life up ahead. They were nearing a town. He knew that this town wasn't entirely made up of wizarding folk. There were muggles present. So, about fifty feet away from civilization, Deimos stopped and turned to the centaur. He could get over how beautiful, how human Dover looked.

"I hope that we will meet again some day. Hogwarts is full of accepting centaurs." He added the second part as more of an after thought. And perhaps it wasn't because he was trying to help her that he so strongly suggested Hogwarts, perhaps it was because he really did want to see her again- Not that he wanted to be more than friends. No. At least, that was what Deimos told himself. "If you end up at Hogwarts, I will almost certainly see you again." He smiled brightly.

She could sense the human village not very far from them and knew that he would soon be leaving her. Knowing full well she had to let him go though she did not want too. His company should have been degrading to her, a threat of epic proportions but she did not care. They had in her own view passed a threshold that boundered beyond mere acquaintences. They were both alone, for she knew the life of a werewolf was not an easy one and many in the magical world despised the creatures.

"Hogwarts?" she had never heard of it but at least it seemed like a place to head too and if the centaurs were anything like he said then her life might be a modicum easier than it had so far been. Dover reached out a hand and stroked it gently down the side of his face.
"We are parting ways then wolf?" she asked him, wondering if her presence to him was loathful. Whether the beast in him craved her flesh. She was simply fortunate that they had not met up hours earlier when he had still been in the form of the lycan.

"That we are." Deimos replied, his eyes fixed on hers. She had to be the friendliest centaur he had ever met- After the initial almost-killing, that was. He was really quite sad to be leaving her and his heart sank a little. It was nice to have company with a difference. The wolf inside did not approve of the centaur's presence. It feared the being. Deimos, however, enjoyed his short period of time around Dover. He really did want to see her again.

Finally, Deimos could hold his words in no longer. If she ran him through with a blade, then so be it! Deimos was smiling as he spoke. "If only you were human," he said, eyes dropping to her horse-like lower body. "I would have whisked you away in an instant. As it is, I am rather tempted." With these words, Deimos backed away a little, should Dover become hostile. He turned on his heel, facing away from her, heading towards civilization, exposing his back to her. Vulnerable. He turned his head back briefly, glancing at Dover, "Goodbye, Dover, and thank you." His eyes shone in a smile at his last words before he continued the rest of his journey alone, into civilization.

Dover laughed heartily when he tossed his insult at her, she would have probably cut any other human down for saying such a thing but not this one. Shaking her head she tossed her own reply back to him.
"No beast, you would make a fine centaur. Much more noble. You too are a temptation I did not see coming but indulging in you is not something I am ever likely to do" she stepped back from him as he walked away. Watching him she wondered why in the world she had actually been tempted to taste what a human kiss would be like, his upper torso was a delight for any female to behold but those two legs were such a blasted turn off. Another chuckle escaped her and she rose up her forelegs to pat the ground before her when he turned to call back a good bye.

"Till next time wolf, may the stars keep you well" turning abruptly she galloped back through the dense foliage of the forest and contemplating his words decided to make for this place he had suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back