Mistaken

Dylas Van Alstyne had been looking back at what he had done with his own upbringing. Shoving that out of his mind, Dylas knew that what he was doing was morally wrong but he was believing that this woman could assist him in some way or form. Ever since he was abandoned on the streets, Dylas had developed useful skills in order to become a great thief and amazing at trickery. This was paused once he was forced to attend school after a professor came and retrieved him from the area that he once called home. He was also informed that he would need a name since he went through most of his life without one. The professor informed him of this other student that once attended that looked a little like him, and Dylas chose that last name to set an example. Perhaps not the smartest thing, but once he attended and was sorted into Ravenclaw, the school life could not be more difficult to adjust to. But, it was a shame that the professor did not pick up the young child soon, as the damage was done already. Dylas filled himself up with hatred and it ate away at his sanity for years. Putting up with people he felt needed to perish only further that aspect on his head. Nothing could be done to change his outlook.

Sticking to the shadows, his eyes gleamed as though he were a mammal of prey, hunting down his new victim. Taking out his wand, he made sure that he was not seen as the woman turned down to go down another alley. This was going to be fun. Dylas could not wait until the girl had fear in her eyes and then his new game of cat and mouse could begin. The reaction gave him this certain feeling that he could not explain but he just knew that he needed it and he would retrieve it one way or another. He needed something like this. Once he came out of the shadows, he used his speed to shove the woman against the wall. He then looked into her eyes and face and she did not seem surprised. Dylas still held her in place, but this was not getting him the joy that he wanted, no, yearned for. Something was wrong. Dylas held his wand at her and he murmured, "Why are you not screaming with terror?" Something had to be wrong with her. It was as if she expected this sort of treatment. Did she know that he was following her?

Katarzyna was just getting off of work, today was one of her longer shifts so she was just happy to be headed home for the day. "If it wasn't for the fact that I need money and the decent connections being in the ministry has, I'd quit right on the spot." Katarzyna thought to herself as she ran tired fingers through her chocolate brown hair. Working as much as she did should be illegal. But she forced herself to work as much as she could so she would stay out of trouble. If she was busy then she'd be less likely to run into some trouble. Eve when she worked normal hours, trouble seemed to find it's way into her life. Katarzyna should have just been named trouble. When she was a kid it wouldn't have made much sense because she was really quiet and shy, but once she broke free of her shell, nothing but trouble spewed from her lips. Katarzyna paused and turned her head slightly when she should she heard something. Was she being followed or something? After a moment of no action, Katarzyna rolled her bright blue eyes and continued on her way. There was nothing more calming that a nice long walk before she settled herself down at home.

Katarzyna paused again when she heard another sound, but this time the individual actually decided to show themselves to her. Katarzyna was suddenly slammed up against the hard brick wall behind her. Then she was finally able to see who it was. "F*cking Thanatos." Katarzyna rolled her eyes, not feeling as amused as she probably would have been if he didn't slam her up against the wall. "Are you f*cking serious? Why am I not screaming with terror? You are so funny. Not get your wand out of my face before I shove one of my heels into your 'man business'." Katarzyna hissed. It was kind of weird to see Thanatos so soon after she had pissed him off like she had. He looked a little bit different, but it also had been months since she had seen him last. He could have changed since then. "Or are you here because you actually want to do what I asked you to do last time?" Probably not, but it was worth a try. Either way he had ten seconds to let her go, or she was going to make sure he remembered why she wasn't the person he wanted to mess with.

The woman appeared to be feisty too, which made him grow more curious about her. It seemed like she knew him too. Dylas slowly released her, not wanting to find her threat to be a true one or not. He would rather not have a heel up there. He put down his wand and he narrowed his eyes. Either way, this could be useful. What if this led him to the other that looked like him? Or fulfilled his boredom? That would be a relief. He needed something to do, desperately. He slowly lowered his wand, not knowing how to behave in front of this slightly older woman. She was not scared. That reaction, he never learned how to combat against it. He put his wand away, knowing how to protect himself without it. He repeated, "So funny... You are curious." She was a curious woman. Someone who did not cower in fear after being assaulted. He looked her up and down, before he folded his arms across his chest. This was not turning out in his favor. Everything he calculated to the last detail was gone. What happened? He had everything so perfect, and somehow, she managed to screw it all up for his little game.

Then, she even spoke about if he was here to do what she had asked of him last time. This confused him, and then he thought, 'The other one... She thinks I am him. Perfect.' Dylas had to go about this without throwing who he really was. His thin lips twitched a bit before he said, "Yes, I have changed my mind. I need something to do, now if you can politely give me an overview, I will guarantee that what you want will be done." It was better than nothing. He looked over at the woman before he looked down the alley. He thought he had heard someone, but it was nothing. Perhaps a rat or something. He looked back at the woman that he did not know the name of. What was this task? It better not be anything boyfriend girlfriend related. He could not handle something like that. He did not have it in him. Dylas thought the woman was okay looking, but he did not like them older. He waited for her to speak, hoping not to draw too much attention to his lack of knowledge of what she had said to the 'other him'.

Katarzyna was so confused right now. Was Thanatos on drugs or something? Not only was he acting unusual, but even the way he spoke was a bit different. If he wasn't on something, then he must have been playing games with her. Katarzyna suddenly frowned. "Quit playing games with me, you creep!" If he kept it up, he would be lucky if kicking was all she decided to do in the end. Katarzyna didn't like it when people played with her emotions, mostly because it had the ability to make her confused and weak until she figured out how to compose herself once more. Why Thanatos decided it would be funny to try and get under her skin like this was beside her, but she was going to put an end it one way or another. Especially when Thanatos made it seem like she was the one that was acting childish this time. Who was the one acting childish now? Katarzyna narrowed her bright blue eyes and stared at Thanatos with pure hatred. Now he thought she was both funny and curious? What the hell was going on? Katarzyna rolled her eyes and turned away from the man before her. This wasn't even fun for her anymore.

Katarzyna then paused as he stated that he had changed his mind, and was willing to do what she wanted so long as she provided an overview. Katarzyna turned her head back towards the man and raised an eyebrow. Now that was something truly curious. "You forgot? How typical." Katarzyna had fully turned her body by this point and was now approaching the man she thought to be Thanatos. "Remember, I had asked for to do something about Joselyn and Nicholai. They are constantly fighting and disturbing me, and I'd like it if they both be quiet? I don't care how you do it, just shut them up." How could he forget? It had sparked an entire fight between the two of them. Plus Nicholai was his close friend or something, so it was kind of weird that he would forget something like that. Katarzyna sighed and shook her head. If he couldn't do something to shut the two of them up, she was going to have to move out and actually find her own place. Which would be a hassle with how busy she was often was with work and when it came to doing the things that Theodore needed done by her.

The young man looked at the beautiful woman with curious eyes, before he smirked slightly. She wanted him to stop playing games. Dylas never stopped playing games at all. His games were often dangerous though, and ended up with someone in the ground. "Games are entertaining, but I suppose I can stop, for your sake." Is that what the other one would have said? He was positive, or something along the lines. All he knew was that she was feisty, and he was liking more and more of it. Maybe the other one claimed her as his own, and they were lovers. Then again, looking at how she would have treated him, perhaps not. Unless he liked that sort of thing, but that made him shudder by thinking of it. Dylas watched as she stared at him with nothing short of hatred. Something was going on, and he would love to know more, but he felt that he might be throwing off his cover. He would not end his game so easily. He waited for her to turn from him, and eventually, she did, before he rolled those eyes. This was exhausting, acting like someone he wasn't.

"I've been busy, my apologies," said Dylas in a low tone. He made sure that he sounded sincere, but it was actually like the other one. The other one actually was busy, and Dylas has no idea. She stated that she asked the other one about what to do with two people named Joselyn and Nicholai. And she wanted him to shut them up. By any means necessary? His thin lips curled into a cruel smirk and he said, "Ah, you want them to shut up. It'll be hard to do that from beyond the grave. How could I have forgotten a task as important and fun as this?" That was what she was wanting, right? All he needed to do was to find a Joselyn and a Nicholai living together, and end them. That would be easy, right? He could not resist that smirk as he thought of how the task could be done. What caused the two to fight anyway? He did not care in the least bit. He nodded toward the woman before apparating off, to find the mystery people. They had to be in the area. And he was gone without so much of a denial from the woman. He didn't want her to change his mind after all.

It wasn't until the man she assumed to be Thanatos began agreeing with her that she realized that something was amiss. Thanatos would never agree with her about anything, let alone actually do as she told him to. "Something's weird about this. Maybe this guy isn't actually Thanatos?" Katarzyna thought to herself as she eyed the man suspiciously. The closer she paid attention to his mannerisms the more obvious it became too. However, it wasn't until the moment that he brought up something about graves that Katarzyna knew that she had made a mistake by seeking help from this man, as he clearly wasn't the one she was familiar with. Now whether he was a twin, or someone using some polyjuice to mess with her wasn't clear, but Katarzyna was about to figure it out. "Hey-" But then he was gone. Katarzyna cursed under her breath and knew that she needed to get to Joselyn and Nicholai's place as quickly as she possibly could. If they wound up getting hurt, it would rest under her conscience and feeling sorry for other people wasn't something Katarzyna could really afford to do right now. Closing her teal eyes, she apparated off to the home of her childhood friend.

"Hey you-whoa." Katarzyna quickly went to work on trying to stop the man, but the moment she stepped around the corner she stopped dead in her tracks. First she saw the man she had just been talking to, and then she saw another man that looked exactly like he did. Minus the fact that he looked older and perhaps just as confused as she did. Joselyn and Nicholai were nowhere in sight. Hopefully they were safe. "Okay, I'm confused. What the hell is going on?" Perhaps the confused looking one was Thanatos? The real one anyways? But then who was the other one and how did he know about Nicholai and them? Was this some kind of freaking joke? Hopefully not, or Thanatos was going to get another swift kick in his man parts. Katarzyna reached into the pocket of her robes and pulled out her wand. It was unlikely that she would need it, but she wanted to be prepared just in case one of them turned out to be a threat to her. Whether it be Thanatos or the stranger who had tricked her just moments before.

Thanatos Van Alstyne had a task to deal with, and it was not something that he wanted to deal with for the rest of eternity. Nicholai Van Zant wanted Thanatos to come over and make sure that the house could not be breeched by magic. The only way to ensure that was with magic, and Nicholai refused to do it. Thanatos apparated into the home of his best friend and got to work, ordering Nicholai and Joselyn into separate rooms to just shut up. He needed some peace and quiet. Thanatos finally had the peace that he needed, that is, until he heard someone burst through the door using a spell. Thanatos made his way into the living room and noticed a figure rushing forward. Thrusting his arm forward, his palm open, he forced the man down onto the ground, using the other man’s weight. However, he noticed the look of the man and Thanatos turned confused. The man looked just like him, but back a couple of years ago. Although, Thanatos usually kept his hair long too, even then. This other man kept it trimmed and a bit shorter. Thanatos did not even pull out his wand on the man, unknown if it was a dream or reality.

Katarzyna burst into the room, just as the other man was getting onto his feet, somewhat in shock as well. Thanatos knew that it definitely was not a dream. He narrowed his eyes and then he darted forward, grabbing the other one by the throat and holding him slightly above the ground against the wall for support. Thanatos pulled out his wand and he jabbed it into the man’s neck. “Who the hell are you and how did you know of this location?” Thanatos demanded in a harsh tone. A sheet of paper fell from the man’s robes, and Thanatos used wandless magic to hover it close to him, and it had listed several people, mostly with the name Van in their surname. This man kept tabs? He must have been rather clever to have done all of this all on his own. No, he had to have connections. “Make one false move and I will kill you, doppelganger.” Thanatos was being serious, and knew nothing of the man. Who was he? Thanatos did not like not knowing about things like that. However, he felt like a part of him knew, and he did not want to find out either. But, curiosity settled in over every other feeling.

Dylas made sure that once he was gone from that woman, he apparated to a safe spot. He quickly got out his list of names and sure enough, a Nicholai was on there. Nicholai Van Zant. It took him years to gather the information he needed. And he was almost the proper age. Therefore, that had to be it. Dylas put it back inside of his robes, and he apparated to the location. He looked at the house for a few moments, before he got out his wand. He intoned a Reducto and the door blasted off the hinges. He ran inside, only to be bounce back with force. Dylas fell on his back, and let out an audible groan. What the hell did he really just run into? That bloody hurt. He shook his head and he looked up to see what he ran into, and he saw the other one. Dylas knew just who he was. Same parents, similar looks due to inbreeding, it had to be his brother. It just had to be. Dylas was ready to explain everything, but he heard that woman come in, and he stood up. He figured that the other one would really need an explanation.

Then, he was painfully slammed into the wall, bombarded with questions. Dylas felt the wand jabbed into his neck and he could not resist laughing, “Funny how this worked out, isn’t it? It would almost be like cursing yourself.” The hold on his throat tightened somewhat, and Dylas laughed even more. He completely forgot that the other woman was even there. It was almost like she wasn’t. He could not help but be completely involved with what was happening in front of him. “Fine, fine, I get your point. I came from Francesca and Culverton Grimrar. Pure-bloods. I am their youngest son, but rumor has it, that there was an older brother, and that’s you, I think. I called myself Dylas Van Alstyne, after I heard of your name in school.” Dylas had no idea how he would react to the news, but Dylas was never adopted fully. Thanatos was, but he did not have the same adopted last name. Dylas did not really know his brother’s name, just the uncanny appearance, and the surname. That was all that he knew. He tracked down the other Van’s because rumor had it, the other one hung out with one.

Katarzyna blinked. She was trying her best to make the connection between the two, but since they decided to throw out a bunch of names she couldn't recall ever knowing, Katarzyna found herself getting more and more lost. Katarzyna hated feeling confused as it made her feel unsafe and weak, so the longer she remained confused the angrier she became. "Are you trying to say that he's your older brother?" Katarzyna addressed Dylas as she nodded in Thanatos' direction. Hopefully that's not what he meant, because she could scarcely stand one of him, two would be unbearable. Thanatos seemed to have little knowledge of the boy, so perhaps there was a lot more to his family than even he knew. Katarzyna's blue eyes darted from brother to brother as she contemplated the idea of leaving them be to catch up. However, leaving without some indication that Dylas was no longer going to go after Nicholai or Joselyn. Holding her wand stiffly at her side, Katarzyna cleared her throat, hoping to catch the attention of both of the males within the room. Katarzyna may be smaller and seemingly at a disadvantage by a mere glance, she wasn't intimidate in the slightest. Thanatos could prove to be some trouble if she got under his skin, but she knew how to handle that type of a situation when it arose.

"Should I leave you two be? Surely you must want to discuss your family matters somewhere other than the presence of a stranger. I have plenty of other things to do anyways." Well she was probably going to go home and get some sleep before she had to get up for work tomorrow, but that was actually pretty important. Katarzyna was one of those people that didn't function all that well without sleep. If one thought she was a b*tch now, just wait until she was tired and lacked sufficient sleep. Katarzyna figured that Thanatos didn't want to be around her an longer than he had to be either, he made it obvious that he didn't like her all that much.

Dylas was soon released from the tightening grip of Thanatos, his uncanny brother. Dylas dropped to the floor, clinching his throat while he tried to gather some air into his lungs. Oh, that was painful. He looked up at his brother who said nothing, and seemed to be more in shock than anything else. Dylas glared up at the man, before he looked to the woman who asked if he was trying to say that Thanatos was his older brother. Dylas slowly rose to his feet, and he dusted himself off, much in the same manner that Thanatos had before. He looked to the woman and he nodded, "Yes. But it is pretty obvious that I know more about our heritage than he does, or cares to know. Trust me, it isn't pretty." The parents were inbred, one of their sisters died after she went crazy, and even parented some of the children from the Zhefarovich family. Dylas had a lot of research, but the only thing that he didn't know was why they were given up, and what Thanatos' name was. He needed to know, but it seemed like his brother was not about to talk anytime soon. He knew what to do.

The woman wanted to leave too. Dylas smirked and he mentioned, "Wait, didn't you want a couple people taken care of? I should really get onto that." Dylas quickly got out his wand and banished his brother across the room, before taking off upstairs where he believed the two were. What great fun, he could finally give in once more to his killer instincts! He found one room with a closed door, and he heard some noises inside. He opened the door, only to see a couple in bed, one that looked just hilarious, and the other had a mass of red hair. All he heard was, "Oh my god, shut the door!" Dylas closed the door only to see that Thanatos and Katarzyna saw what he had seen as well. He looked at the door and then back at the two. "Are you two sleeping together too?" Dylas knew that he was in no safe angle to kill the two, as the two in front of him would definitely stop him. He folded his arms across his chest before he said that he was leaving, because this was more than he could take within a day.

After hearing the doppelganger's speech, Thanatos figured out who he was, and immediately dropped him to the ground. If he wanted to take off the man's head, he would have done so, but even then, it would have been eerie. It would have been like taking off his own head. Thanatos now figured that the man was telling the truth. He was so young, and didn't need a real reason to seek him out. Thanatos, so far, was a little too stunned to believe it, but he figured that it was true. He knew his parents' names, and now, he could seek them out if he wanted to. If he even cared to, but he didn't care. He didn't want anything to do with his true family at all. He never wanted a family, and believed that he was better off without such burdens. This young boy, was his younger brother. He didn't know if he should feel relieved, but he didn't even know his name until now. Dylas. He took after his last name after the incident. Thanatos thought about just telling him to leave, as Katarzyna was about to, before he heard what Dylas said, and then he was blasted into the wall on the other side of the room.

Landing on the couch, Thanatos hissed as some flames of pain hit his spine from the impact against the wall. He got up and motioned for Katarzyna to follow him upstairs, to save their friends. Even if he claimed not to care about Nicholai, Thanatos didn't want him to suffer, not unless it was on his own terms. Thanatos rushed up the stairs, and found Dylas looking into the bedroom with an open door, and Nicholai shouting. What he saw was unbelievable. Nicholai was finally being somewhat human. With Joselyn. Thanatos replaced his shocked look with one of pure disgust as Dylas closed the door. Dylas turned to them, just as Thanatos was seriously going to hurt him, before one question stopped him short of firing a hex at him. Thanatos said, at the same time as Katarzyna, "No!" He looked to the woman before he rolled his eyes. Dylas left, and Thanatos was left alone with Katarzyna. He shook his head before he grumbled, "Ever since Nicholai opened those doors and let you two bimbos in, I've not had a moment without some damn drama." Before she had a chance to respond, Thanatos cut in, "Weren't you leaving?" With a huff, she was gone. And with a loud crack, he was gone too.
Fin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back