Meeting on the lake

Ford Harkonnen

Wand
It's made of wood, I suppose
Ford sat on his usual rock on the lake, floating a rock through the air above the lake. He had given Sophia a note to meet him there, he wanted to talk to her about what had happened the last time they were on the lake. He sat patiently, hoping that she would come.

Sophia had received a note from Ford and made her way to the Lakefront, noticing him on his usual rock long before she actually reached it. Her messenger bag from slung over her right shoulder and across her torso as usual, her right hand grasping the strap, on which the Slytherin Pin Ford had given her was attached, her fingers fiddling with it.

Sophia approached Ford with a blank expression, her face giving away no emotion. "Hello Ford," she said with a nod. "You wanted to talk?" She stood a few feet away from the rock, unsure of how long this would take and such. Sitting upon the cold rock was not on the top of her list of things she wanted to do.

Ford hadn't heard Sophia approach and jumped when she greeted him. He stood, and jumped off the rock, "Hey Sophia," he said quietly. He looked down at the ground momentarily, "I just wanted to say I'm sorry." He said quickly, "...for what happened...earlier."

A hint of a smile appeared on Sophia's lips and she stepped toward Ford. "Apology accepted." She leaned forward and gave Ford a small kiss on the lips and retracted with a smile. Unsure if there was anything else he wanted to accomplish at this meeting she merely stared at him with her golden eyes, waiting to see what he did.

Ford smiled widely when Sophia pulled back from the kiss, but didn't say anything at first. He looked down at his feet again and returned his gaze to Sophia, "Would you, well, like to go to the Yule Ball with me?" He hoped that this wasn't too soon after his apology to ask.

Sophia smiled a bright, genuine smile that looked very odd on her usually emotionless pale face. She quickly kissed Ford again, "Of course, I would love to." Sophia had yet to attend a Yule Ball and was quite excited for this year's, now that she had the jewelry from Valcan to wear.

Ford continued grinning like an idiot, completely happy with how this was going. "So, how have things been for you..." he trailed of tentatively.

Sophia's smile faltered and she sighed, looking away from Ford for a few moments. What should she tell him? She turned back to look at him with a blank expression. "Perhaps we should sit," Sophia said softly and stepped toward the rock.

That can't be good. Ford thought and his smile faded, "Okay," he said and pulled himself up onto the rock and held his hand out to Sophia, to help her up.

Sophia smiled softly at Ford's hand and took it, using his leverage to help her get up onto the rock where she sat down, trying to ignore the immense cold beneath her. Looking over at Ford Sophia considered her thoughts for a minute before speaking.

"Ford, I have an ability called Pyrokinesis. It allows me to create fire, and works especially well when I am angry. The problem is, I do not yet have control over the ability, and it can...take over if I lose my temper." Sophia stared at Ford, waiting to see how he would respond to this.

Ford stared blankly at Sophia, not really knowing what to think, "How long have know you known about this...power?" Ford said after a moment. Why hasn't she told me about this?

Sophia bit her lip and looked down at her lap quickly, her pale cheeks blushing red. "A bit," she began softly, looking back up at Ford. "I...I guess I was hoping that it would pass, or be something I could ignore. Unfortunately neither proved to be true and now I have to find a way to deal with this ability. It's family-inherited, my father has the same ability, as did his mother."

Sophia searched Ford's face and eyes with her golden eyes, hoping he would not be mad. She had not talked about the ability with many people at all, and the last thing she needed was Ford to take her keeping it from him personally, right after they had made up.

Ford looked from Sophia to the lake. He picked up a nearby rock and skipped it over the water, thinking about what Sophia had just said. Initially, a wave of anger rose up inside of him, but Ford pushed it down. No. We just made up. She was afraid, she didn't know what to think. Ford sighed, he didn't want to ruin things again. "It's okay. Why didn't anything happen when we...we...last talked?"

Relief washed over Sophia when Ford asked his question, glad to see that he was trying. "Because I did not let my anger take control of me. I kept it in control. It's very difficult. Mainly I just have to control my emotions. That is all I know to do now to control the power. What I have yet to figure out is how to trigger the ability without being angry."

Ford did not really know too much about the wizarding world yet, but he had the feeling that this wasn't too common.

"So, all that time ago, when we were in the forest and you caught us then Bruin caught fire..." Ford asked gently, "That was you?"

Sophia nodded slowly. "Yes, it was. Not on purpose of course, but yes. That was the first time it happened in fact."

Ford thought for a moment, "Does this have anything to do with the kidnapping?"

Sophia's golden eyes widened and she quickly looked around to ensure that there was no one within earshot. Turning back to Ford she looked at him, perplexed. How did he draw a connection like that?

"Well, yes, sort of...." Sophia began softly, seeming unsure. "Why?"

"Well, it's not everyday that your own father kidnaps you from school," Ford shrugged and flashed a mischievous grin. He paused momentarily, "Can you control it at all, yet?"

Sophia smirked at the sight of Ford's grin. "Well, a little, sort of. If I let myself get too angry the ability just kind of takes over. I barely know anything about controlling it. The only other person with an ability like it who I've talked about it with is Estrella, and she has about as much control as I do it seems."

Ford's eyes widened slightly, "Estrella?"

Well, she did get kidnapped, too, I suppose. Today was full of surprises for Ford, "What does she have to do with anything?"

Sophia bit her lower lip as she realized Ford had not known before about Estrella's ability. "Well, our abilities are family-inherited. She got hers from her father, just as I did. Her paternal grandfather was my paternal grandmother's brother, and he raised my father. Estrella and I are second cousins. She has a different ability though, I believe she is called a Knall. All I know is that she can cause things to explode."

Sophia was speaking in quick whispers, not wanting anyone to possibly overhear this conversation. She seemed very at ease speaking about all of this with Ford.

Ford blinked and began drawing a mental diagram of Sophia's, and Estrella's apparently, family tree. Nodding when he had it pieced together, "You must have interesting family reunions," Ford said dryly, but with a sardonic grin plastered on his face.

"Well, I never actually knew any of this until this past summer, which I spent with Estrella's grandfather Valcan. I have no recollection of meeting any family aside from my mother and father. I think having my memory modified might have something to do with that. What I cannot figure out is why my memory would have been modified in the first place."

"There is probably something that somebody doesn't want you to know," Ford suggested, "Are you going meet any of your family over break?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back