Meeting a midget.

"I know what you mean. There's so many people I have met that ask me what house I wanna be in and suddenly don't want to know me just because I want to be in slytherin. I'm just like fine, if you're not good enough for slytherin then walk away." Shaylah turned and looked towards Sydney.

Sydney nodded. "If they judge, they aren't worth it are they?" She took a second to realise where she was; In brightstone, talking with a young girl about how rubbish people are. "This is not how I imagined spending my day."

"I imagined spending my day same as everyday-sitting in my room getting bored out of my skull. Instead I ended up walking through brightstone. I had nothing else to do when I saw you so I thought I might as well come and talk. Meet someone new." She realised she was babbling a bit so just said "Most of the time I have to do homework or practice music."

"Yeah. My dad is my only family so I kind of try and make him happy most of the time. We have the occassional fight but the rest of the time were like best friends basically."

Sydney nodded in understanding though she could not imagine being best friends with either her parents. Her mother always seemed distant with the familt and her Father was to controlling though there were moments where they got along. "I have some moments like that with Mother and Father though they are rare, Our family isn't that close."

"I think the reason I'm so close to my dad is because of the stuff we've been through together. I think if all that stuff hadn't happened then there's no way we'd be so close."

Sydney was about to ask about this 'stuff' Shaylah was talking about when an owl flew down towards her. She caught the letter it dropped and read it before writing quickly on the back of it and sending it away again. The Slytherin turned and rummaged through her bag quickly and pulled out a wrapped present before turning back to the other girl. "Mother will be here soon."

"Sounds cool." Shaylah noticed the present that Sydney had pulled out her bag. "What's the present for??"

Sydney looked around for her mother while answering the young girl absently. "It's Fathers birthday soon."

Tracy had dropped her new dress home and written to her daughter, telling her to meet her in brightstone so she could pick up her husbands present. When she got the letter back telling her where Sydney was, Tracy apparated to Brightstone.

As the woman searched for her daughter in the crowsd of small children her mind unwillingly flew back to the meeting she had had with Jay earlier, she was hoping there wouldn't be another one and that that was the last she would ever hear the name Rouge.

Tracy spotted her daughter sitting on a bench talking to another girl. "Sydney." She spoke loudly but did not yell, proper ladies did not yell, it was part of the rules she had to learn to convince people of her pretend blood status.

Shaylah saw a woman walk over and say Sydney's name. She assumed it was Tracy, Sydney's mum.

Shaylah noticed that Sydney looked alot like her mum.

Sydney raised her head and loked in the direction of the voice speaking her name. "Mother." She spoke politely and held out the gift. "Oh, this is Shaylah, she will be attending hogwarts next year. She is also aspiring to be in Slytherin." Sydney told her mother of Shaylah, she quickly added on the end that Shaylah was pure and watched the curiosity appear in her mothers face.

Tracy took the gift and placed it into her bag before looking towaards tha child Sydney was talking about. The childs name sounded familiar and she became curious when her daughter menioned that the girl was pure. "What family are you in Shaylah?"

Shaylah heard Sydney introduce her to Tracy. Her mum looked at Shaylah and asked her what family she was in.

Shaylah replied "My dad's Jay Rouge but I never met my mum. She left when I was only a baby."

Tracy froze when she heard what Shaylah had just said, no wonder her nae was familiar. Sydney's new friend was Tracy's second daughter and Sydney's half sister.
The woman made sure that there was no look of shock, fear or dread on her face even though she was feeling them and smiled politely at her youngest girl "I'm sorry I haven't had the pleaseure of meeting a Mr Rouge, maybe I will one day. It was nice to meet you though." Tracy lied through her teeth before turning to Sydney. "Darling I have to be getting home and setting up your Fathers party, It was lovely to see you, send me a letter about christmas." She gave her a peck on both cheeks before apparating away.

Sydney watched in confusion as her Mother quickly hurried her way out, normally she would have stayed if she didn't know the family but instead she was running away. As much as Sydney wasnted to know why, it wasn't proper to be nosy into the business of people higher in sociaty than you and that included her parents. "Well, that was Mother." She spoke.

"She seemed perfectly fine. I thought you said she is controlling??" Shaylah turned away from where Tracy had just disapparated from to Sydney who looked slightly confused. "Why do you look like a giant just ran through the village??"

Sydney frowned even more. "Because she is controlling, that wasn't the way she normally acts. Normally she would be here milking as much informationas she could about your Father and what you know about your Mother but the minute you mentioned who your family were she ran faster than a basalisk from a roosters cry." Sydney realised what she had just said, it made it sound like her Mother was hiding something from thhe family, not the type of thing you want someone you just met to think about your family. "She's probably swamped with the ball, she is organising it herself after all."

"I'd never want a ball for my birthday. It would mean having t wear a dress of which would never do." Shaylah realised what Sydney had said first. "Why would she try and find stuff out about me and my dad??"

Sydney tried to think of a nice way to explain it, to be blunt her mother was a gold digger. She tried to get into all the best places to people would know her, she made freinds with all of the right people and she took advantage of whoever she needed to to get what she wanted. "She likes to get to know people that might be worthy of our family friendship. Like pure families, Mother would've tried to find an impurity within your family just in case there was one, that way she is sure who I know and who she talks to, little things."

"Oh right. My dad's nothing like that. He always asks people becase he doesn't tend to like muggle and muggle borns but hes ok with half bloods and he loves pure bloods. What about your dad; what's he like??"

Sydney smirked at the mention of her dad, he wasn't the nicest of people and you had to be pretty special to get him to leave the house. Or you had to be dealt with. "Father is nice if you meet him through Mother, that's the best way to meet him. If you meet him without Mother introducing you then you really wouldn't like him."

"So basically, if I want to say hi to your dad I have to say hi to your mum first." Shaylah didn't know whether she should ask the question that she was about to ask but she thought she might as well give it a try. "Are either of you parents..." She lowered her voice to make sure no one else could here her. "...death eaters??"

"Well, you'd have to be approved by Mother first. One of the reasons she gets to know you and your family first." Sydney laughed at Shaylah's next question. "no, They approve of the theories and methods but if they were then there's a chance it can be traced back and then they would be in trouble. Mother doesn't like taking chances unless she is absolutely sure there is not even a miniscule chance anything can go wriong."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back