Meet the Bookworm

I am sure it will too, Zoe agreed. Focusing on things out of your control would only waste time; instead of focusing on what you can control. But yes, things did usually just sort themselves out in the end.

So Zoe, what are you going to be doing over break anyway? Kira then changed the subject.

Zoe paused, unsure of the answer. I don^t really know, the Gryffindor admitted. We would just go on holiday as a family before - but things got tricky when Mariah started university and Ezra just wanted to stay at home. I suppose that we could all go for a day trip to the beach - but otherwise it^s going to be a really boring break, Zoe sighed. She had tried to ask her mother about spending holidays with a friend, but her mother had not wanted her to seem like she was trying to impose herself on someone else^s plans.

Zoe was not sure of what Kira would say if she asked to tag along, but she felt that perhaps it was too early in their friendship to even suggest. She then decided she would wait for an invitation, if it ever came up.

What about you? What are you planning for break? Zoe then asked Kira, having a hunch that she would have a few more exciting things planned.

Kira listened to Zoe, thinking that a day trip to the beach sounded pretty fun in itself. Before she could answer however, a little 'Hoo' next to her ear startled her. "GAH!" Kira let out a surprised yell and jumped back, accidentally falling off the couch. She groaned a bit as she hit the floor. There was a small flapping noise and she opened her eyes, only to find her an earless owl on her chest. She sighed. Aro.

Kira groaned and laid her head back on the floor, reaching up to stroke his feathers. This owl was just as stubborn as Tyra was. "Zoe, meet Aro." Kira said dryly, her feet still on the couch. "He's my sisters."

Zoe was startled by the owl that decided to make its presence known by hooting in Kira^s ear, but she was more curious than cautious. She had never seen an owl so up close before.

She laughed a little as Kira fell off the couch and landed on the floor. Then Kira explained. Zoe, meet Aro, Kira introduced dryly. He^s my sister^s.

Aro was a beautiful and slick looking earless owl; with a lovely arrangement of spotted feathers.
Nice to meet you, Aro, Zoe giggled. Then she frowned, examining Aro. If he belongs to your sister, then what^s he doing here?

Kira groaned a little as she reached for Aro's leg, pulling off the letter attached to it. She reached in her pocket and pulled out one of the treats Tyra had sent last time and offered it to him. He took it carefully from between her fingers before taking off, flying quietly to the owlery to wait for Kira to send him home.

She sat up, wiggling the paper at Zoe. "Tyra and I haven't been apart for any extended amount of time since our parent's death. We write each other every day or so to help make being away a little easier on us both," Kira explained as she moved back to the couch. She unrolled the letter and scanned through it quickly.

Oh I see, Zoe nodded, jumping off of the couch to sit next to Kira on the floor. Then she grew excited as she spotted a letter. Kira explained that she and her sister exchanged letters to make life a little easier, and she could not help smiling knowingly. Mariah often sent two sets of letters every time she sent mail home - one for the family, and one for Zoe.

Zoe^s letter was always more elaborate and fun, because they were so close. Ezra^s portion of the family letter was not that vague, but a lot less impressive than Zoe^s personal one. Mariah and her letters always made her feel less caught up in all the chaos.

What does your letter say?! Zoe let her impulsiveness get the better of her, as she leaned over Kira^s shoulder. Then she paused, blushing sheepishly. I mean...sorry. I just always get excited over mail.

Kira laughed. "Oh, it's okay. I always get so excited over mine, I can understand. I'm just better at hiding my excitement." She winked at the blond playfully, holding the letter so that they could both read it.

Key
You won't believe what happened today! We had that reservation for the CLAWS group, remember? And we thought it was a cat convention? Well, in a way, we were right! It wasn't for cats... but for cat cosplayers! If I had known that I might have set up dinner a bit differently! Oh, you should have seen Jackoby's face when they all came in the door with their ears and their tails. I barely managed to stay the professional Hostess. As soon as we had everyone settled and were back in our section, Jameson and I fell over laughing. Oh, I don't think I've laughed so hard since those two old blokes that came through- you remember them? They gave Johanson such a hard time.

I hope classes are going well. You rarely talk of anything else. I'm going to assume you've hidden your new friends away to surprise me with them when you come back. I have a room set up for them, so don't come home alone! You need to expand your horizons, Keykey. I can't be your best friend forever, babygirl.

Anyhow, I must be off. I can hear them meowling already. Best if I go serve them their cream.

Lot's of Love, Tyra

Zoe laughed along with Kira, before settling down to read the letter.

She thought it was adorable that Tyra referred to Kira as Key. The first paragraph had her in uncontrollable giggles; while she did get a little wide-eyed and hopeful about the suggestion of bringing friends over. Before she knew it, her mind had gone off on a tangent, conjuring up a little adventure at Tyra^s place and all that could be done there.

After reading the letter, Zoe decided that Tyra may just as well be one of the best sisters in the world - apart from her own, obviously.
Your sister seems cool, Zoe said after Kira finished reading the letter too. And funny. The kind of person who is really good and cheering people up. Then Zoe paused as something dawned on her. I haven^t written to Mariah once this whole time! She made me promise to write to her at least once a week about how school was going!

Zoe began to panic. Then she glanced at Kira. ...You wouldn^t mind coming to the Owlery with me later - would you? she asked sheepishly.

Kira couldn't help but laugh along with Zoe as Tyra explained the last reservation they'd had. They always seemed to get the most interesting customers. The reminder of the two old men made her smile. They had been sixty year old, sassy as hell twins.

Kira grinned when Zoe told what she thought of her older sister. "I know, I'm lucky to have her." Kira was about to ask Zoe a question, but the blond seemed to start panicking. Kira waited for her to say what was wrong.

Kira laughed when Zoe asked her if she would go to the owlery with her later. "Of course!" She reached into her bag and pulled out some parchment and quills. "How about we write letters first? I'll reply to Tyra and you can write one to Mariah?"

Zoe sighed in relief as Kira produced the materials they needed for writing. Thank you so much, Kira. She took them gratefully and settled down cross-legged on the couch, all set to summarise many lessons and six classes each worth of knowledge and experience.

If she did not receive a reply from Mariah, it was because she was already plotting her murder. But she was feeling a little hopeful about her completely forgetting about it, being busy with university.

Letter said:
Dear Mariah,

Hehehe...don^t make this any harder that it has to be.

How have you been doing? I hear medical school is not a joke. But maybe you^ll be happy to know that Hogwarts is amazing! I^ve made friends; almost got top marks (I think the Charms Professor doesn^t quite like me); and I achieved a new personal best in Flying. I^m going to try out for the quidditch team, and you can^t stop me! But I won^t abandon academics, I promise.

There is this one guy in my house who seems to enjoy being annoying and competing against me, but he^s also friends with Lavinia (the girl we saw before school started, remember? Mom totally gave her a talking to) so I can^t get revenge or start a prank war. Unfortunately.

Otherwise, classes are a breeze and my favourite one has to be Charms. Spells are so much fun to learn!

Also, sorry for not writing to you before - as you can see, I have been rather busy.

Just in case you^re wondering, no, I have not written to anyone else yet; and mom will probably be on my case soon. Can^t wait for the holidays - not. Anyway, say hi to those brothers that we can^t stand!

Lots of love, ZoZo.

Done! Zoe declared, setting the quill down. I hope she appreciates it.

Kira smiled as Zoe took a quill and paper and sat back to begin her letter. She quickly followed suit, writing a brief description of her day and of Zoe herself. Hopefully that would tide over her sister for now. Kira didn't want to bother anyone by pestering them into going home with her. She had just made friends with Zoe, and she would need a bit more time before feeling confident enough that the Gryffindor would want to go back to the Inn.

Zoe finished her letter quickly, and Kira was done shortly after her. "Alright," Kira smiled at her. "Would you like to go the Owlery now or later?"

Zoe rolled up her letter before hesitating about writing just a little bit more. Knowing Mariah, she would want to know all about these new friends to which Zoe was referring; but then she decided not to dwell on it too much. The fact that Zoe had made friends should suffice.

Alright, Kira said as she finished too. Would you like to go to the Owlery now or later?

Zoe paused and thought about it. Well..., she started, unless you have something you need to do here right now, I don^t see why we can^t go now.

Kira laughed and grabbed her bag, slinging it over her shoulder. She hopped to her feet, nearly humming a cheerful tune before remembering she wasn't alone this time. The thought made her grin. "So you said Mariah is older than you, right? How much older?" Kira asked. She put a hand in her pocket and wrapped the other around the strap of her bag. "Tyra's ten years older than I am." She provided, answering her question for herself.

Zoe jumped up and down in excitement, before tucking her letter under her arm and following Kira towards the door.

Oh, Mariah is the oldest out of all us kids - and she^s a whole ten years older than me, Zoe told her. Then she laughed as Kira said almost the exact same thing. Tyra too, huh? Guess that means we have something else in common. We^re both the youngest, and the oldest siblings in our families are both twenty-one, Zoe grinned as they exited the lounge. Oh, hey, do you wanna come back and continue reading afterwards? I mean, seeing as you were reading when I found you.

Kira laughed. Zoe seemed so hyper, and Kira liked that. She and Tyra were both always so low key, she couldn't help but enjoy the girls' energy. "Oh no, it's okay," Kira told her. "I'll probably finish it tonight. Anyway, you said you had other siblings?"

Okay, Zoe shrugged in response to Kira saying that she would continue reading later. Then she asked about the Gryffindor^s other siblings.

Zoe snorted, before bursting out in laughter. She then stopped as she realised that Kira might not have understood her reaction.
Don^t get me started, Zoe explained, laughing. Mariah and I are the only girls. My oldest brother, Ezra, isn^t much of a threat, but I steer clear of him anyway. He^s nineteen. Then there^s my seventeen-year-old non magical brother Jacob. He is the only Harkness besides my Dad that has no magic. He is definitely not my favourite - all he does is tease me and make fun of me, and he really gets on my nerves, Zoe grumbled, stomping her feet in exaggeration. But I can totally deal with him, she added rather smugly. Anywho; then comes the twins - the second youngest siblings at fifteen. They always pull pranks on me or with me, but they^re okay, the blonde admitted. Then she caught her breath. That was a lot to take in, wasn^t it? she laughed uneasily.

Kira smiled at Zoe as she went on about four brothers. There was, however, one thing in particular that caught Kira's interest. "You have a non-magical sibling too?" She smiled widely at that. So it was common, at least. "That's really cool. Tyra isn't magical either. I don't know if my parents were... they never said anything, at least." Kira glanced at Zoe. "Does that make me weird?"

No, it totally does not, Zoe said hurriedly. They must have had a reason not to say anything I suppose, she suggested. Then she frowned. It did all seem a little suspicious - with Kira not knowing she was magical at all and her sister being a muggle. The strangest piece of the puzzle was her quiet parents. Zoe then snapped her fingers as though she had had a eureka moment.

Hey, what^s your blood status - if you don^t mind me asking, Zoe inquired. The blonde^s brain was ticking, and the answer to the question might earn her a (very much imagination-conjured) junior detective badge.

Kira rubbed her neck a little. "I don't really know. My sister has been going through our parents things, looking for answers. They were packed away until I got the letter from here. Until we found out I was different, going through their things was... Well, it was hard for Tyra. She and daddy got into a fight before she left for France and they hadn't spoken in almost a year. I think she still regrets that." Kira admitted slowly, not sure how much she should admit to. Tyra was a bit of a gossip, but Kira had always been a bit more uncomfortable with sharing things that weren't her business.

Zoe was quiet for a moment. Oh, Kira...I^m sorry, the blonde mumbled. And for Tyra. I can sort of understand the guilt she feels. I got into a fight with my mom the day before coming to Hogwarts. And I haven^t really had the guts to address it again.
Zoe hung her head and walked solemnly.

She also then apologised in case her blood status question had made Kira uncomfortable too. Her intention had not been to dig up her past - just maybe to bring her closer to her parents by finding a glimmer of truth. But she decided that an investigation could wait. They had plenty of time.

So, Zoe shook her head, her curls flying everywhere, let^s go and deliver these letters, shall we?

Kira mentally bashed herself for being so awkward with her first friend. Well, maybe second. She had been awkward the first time she met Jacob Finley too, but she wasn't quite sure if they counted as friends or not. He always smiled at her in class, so she couldn't really tell. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I should be the one to apologize," she stated cheerily. "I've always been a bit awkward. It's hardly light-hearted small talk, is it?" She chuckled. She had grown to accept her awkwardness over the year, and it didn't bother her so much now.

She hooked her arm through Zoe's, hoping the blond wouldn't mind. "So tell me about where you live," Kira changed the subject again, wanting to see the blond's smile return.

Zoe agreed that their first conversation had been rather heavy - hardly first meeting small talk. But she had learned a great deal about Kira, and Kira had learned a lot about her too - more than Lavinia knew about her.

Don^t worry about the awkwardness - they may not be the most light hearted things to talk about, but I^m kind of glad we shared all of that, she admitted to the dark haired girl. It kind of makes me feel a little bit better to get it out - you know?

Zoe was a little surprised when Kira hooked her arm through her own, but she did not really mind. She smiled; some cheeriness returning from the gesture. It made her feel as though they had been friends forever. So tell me where you live, Kira then asked, and Zoe guessed that she was trying to lighten things up again.

Well, we live in Golden Bay, Zoe grinned. I haven^t really been to other places in New Zealand, but I don^t think I would ever want to move, the blonde giggled. So what about you?

Kira smiled. "Ty and me own an Inn about an hour outside of Arrowtown. It's a bit of a drive, but we still get a lot of tourists. Muggles, mostly. Her husband cooks really good, he's drawn in more customers since he's been there." She glanced at Zoey. "You know... Tyra is expecting me to bring someone back with me. We have extra rooms, free food. Maybe you could come over, if you wanted." Kira still felt uneasy asking Zoey over so soon, but she had a feeling the blond might jump on the chance for an adventure.

Zoe could not believe her ears. Her smile grew wider and wider as Kira went on about the Inn, and the excitement bubbling up inside her made her squeal alarmingly.

Oh my gosh, I would love to come over! the Gryffindor danced around Kira in circles. Then she paused. ...If you^re sure that it is absolutely all right, that is, she added sheepishly.

This scenario was precisely what she had been hoping for - she just had not expected for it to come true so soon. But if Kira was okay with it, Zoe was positive that this was the beginning of being best friends.

Kira jumped when Zoe squealed, and she looked at the girl with wide blue eyes. Zoe started bouncing around and Kira gave off a half chuckle. Well, she liked the idea, at least. After a moment Zoe stopped and looked at her, double-checking to be sure it was okay. Kira smiled. "Of course. I wouldn't have invited you if it wasn't. Think of it as... doing me a favor. Tyra will pester me all summer otherwise." Kira winked playfully.

Zoe giggled at Kira^s reaction to her improvised celebratory dance. But she was happy to hear that going to the Inn was okay. Now all she had to to was convince her mother that too...

She also could not wait to meet Tyra in the flesh - she seemed just as amazing and caring as Mariah. If all went according to plan, Zoe could walk away with a second sister; just to even out the imbalance.

All right, Zoe hooked her arm through Kira^s again, Lets get these letters to the Owlerey before we forget why we left the lounge in the first place, she joked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back