Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
(Arc)
Wand
Ebony, Dragon heart-string, 9 1/2 inches
Kira hadn't really been in the student lounge yet, but she didn't expect it to be empty. She let out a soft huff. She had wanted to see if see could meet anyone new, maybe get a little out of her comfort zone, but that didn't look like it was happening.

So, she did what she always did. She found a nice seat in front of the fire and curled up with a new book, her legs tucked under her. She was wearing a simple pair of blue jeans and a light pink t-shirt, her chocolate hair pulled back into its usual ponytail. That didn't stop her bangs from falling into her eyes, though, and she had to keep brushing them behind her ear.

Kira was lost enough in her book, "Green Angel", that she didn't notice the girl that entered the room.

Zoe wandered into the student lounge and flopped down onto an armchair. She was utterly exhausted from doing her occasional additional laps around the quidditch pitch, and her grubby jeans and striped sweater showed for it. Her blonde tousled hair fell over her face and fanned out, but from where she was she could make out the shape of another person, curled up by the fire, with their nose in a book.

She sat up, brushed her hair out of her face, and got up to plod over to them. It was a girl, with long dark hair. She didn^t seem to realise that Zoe was there.

Hey, whatcha reading? Zoe asked suddenly, without thinking about startling her.

Kira jumped a bit at the sound of the other girls' voice. She looked up at her, blue eyes wide. "Oh... uh, "Green Angel", it's about a girl who survived a huge fire but lost her family." She shut the book, a finger keeping her place. She stretched out her hand. "Kira Wolf. We have a few classes together, don't we?" She smiled shyly at the blond.

Zoe smiled but was relieved that she had not scared the other girl away. It sounds very interesting, she said politely after hearing the summary of the book. I^m not much of a reader, cause I like sports and adventurous stuff, but I think I could read it.

The other girl seemed rather nervous, but she did not show any signs of hastily leaving, so Zoe sat down beside her and shook her hand in return. Nice to meet you, Kira. I believe we do, she replied about the classes. I always see you and you seem kinda shy. I^m Zoe by the way. She gave her a wide grin.

Kira smiled as Zoe sat next to her. She tucked her book away in her bag with the six or seven other books already there. "I can understand that. Not everyone is content with reading about adventures like I am," She admitted. She had always been more of a play-it-safe kind of kid, especially since her parents' accident.

Kira chuckled, a little embarrassed. Was it really so obvious? "Yeah, sorry about that," She apologized for being shy. "I'm not really used to talking to people out of "customer service" mode. My sister and I run an Inn outside of Arrowtown," She explained. "It's still a little weird being away from home." She admitted. "Do you ever get homesick?"

Zoe was becoming a lot more invested into the conversation now that she knew Kira did not limit her genre of books. She hoped that maybe she could borrow one. She would never get the chance back at home, where her sister was hardly around and there were four other boys around. She never got any peace of Mariah was at university and not visiting home.

You don^t have to apologise, Zoe giggled at Kira^s clear embarrassment to the fact that her shyness had been pointed out. I didn^t mean to make it seem like a problem. It^s really fine. I can be outgoing enough for the both of us, she giggled. Then she dwelt of Kira^s reasoning.

I can^t say I^m the same, she admitted. In fact, my mom usually tells me to keep it down rather than to speak up. But she^s okay. I miss her I suppose. And my only sister Mariah. But I most definitely do not miss my brothers. I kinda like being away from home. It^s so peaceful. Then Zoe paused. I was rambling, wasn^t I? She sighed, embarrassment creeping onto her cheeks. Anyway, do you have any other siblings besides your sister?

Kira smiled as Zoe started talking, listening happily. She wasn't a good talker, but she was definitely a good listener. She chuckled when Zoe said she was rambling, and opened her mouth to tell her it was okay, but was stopped in her tracks when the cheery girl asked if Kira had any other siblings.

Kira looked down, sadness creeping into her voice as she answered. "Well... I did. My parent's and my little brother Cameron, they... well, there was an accident a few years ago. It's just me and Tyra now." She admitted, a little proud that she was able to say it without crying anymore. It still hurt to think about them, but it wasn't a crippling pain like it used to be.

Kira shook her head to clear it of the sad thoughts and did her best to smile at Zoey. "She did get married just before I came to school, so now I have a big brother to go home to."

Zoe gasped - a little louder than she had intended - and her smile fell at Kira^s story. Oh, I^m so sorry. It must have been really hard to say that. She paused, thinking for a moment. I haven^t had any family close to me pass away. My grandma did last year - but none of us kids were close to her, and the only people who cried were my sister, my oldest brother, and my parents. I can^t imagine what it was like for you, Zoe admitted. But I hope it gets better.

Zoe had grown to like Kira, especially now - but not out of pity - and she could not help but hope that this would result in friendship. She could not imagine that Kira had many friends, and so she decided it was going to be added to her to-do list for the year to make proper friends with the girl.

Then something dawned on her. ...Is that why you^re homesick? Are you worried that something might happen when you aren^t there? That...you could lose someone else? Zoe tried her best to be tactful, but she cringed as she realised that her questions may not have come across that way.

Kira actually giggled as Zoe floundered. She put her hand on the girls shoulder- she didn't normally initiate contact like this, so it felt a little weird. "It's okay, silly. As for your question, well..." Kira's hand fell as she thought, looking off into space. "I suppose that could be true, in a way. Tyra had to come home from Paris to take care of me, and we've spent every day together since then. I guess... I'm just not the greatest with change," She admitted, slowly. "But, as long as I can still work with plants in Herbology, I don't miss home quite so bad. Tyra has this huge garden," Kira smiled at Zoe.

"Guess it's my turn to ramble now, huh?"

Grateful for Kira^s ability to lighten the situation slightly, Zoe let out an uneasy giggle and let a smile appear on her face. She tensed as Kira placed her hand on her shoulder - but it did not feel all too unnatural, and she was rather welcoming to the comforting gesture.

She smiled and simply listened as Kira spoke about her sister. Tyra reminded her of Mariah. She wondered how old she was, and maybe that they should meet and be friends too.

By the time her mind came back to the present situation, Zoe couldn^t help bursting out in laughter as Kira realised she was rambling too.
Don^t worry, Zoe waved her hand dismissively, I^d talk fondly about my sister too. She^s hardly ever around though. In fact, I was rather lucky that she managed to take me shopping before school. She made everything all that more enjoyable. She grinned. Speaking of school, how are you finding it?

Kira smiled at Zoe. She could tell they would be good friends. "Well, it's a lot like home, in a weird way. We always get a lot of people in and out of the Inn, so being with so many kids is a little comforting in it's own way. And Herbology and the garden- have you been there yet? It's so peaceful and pretty."

Kira tucked her bangs behind her ear again. "How about you? You look like you've been enjoying something." She waved her hand at Zoes dirty clothes.

Zoe had not been to the garden. If she was honest, it was not exactly the kind of place that screamed Zoe! to her. But she politely said that she had not, and slipped in that maybe she would.

Zoe laughed as Kira gestured to her clothes. Yeah...I was just at the quidditch pitch. I^m trying to get my time to be really fast, so that the team would consider me. No one in my family has ever been that much into sport. They^re all about academics. Not that I^m not - I just like sport a bit more.

Zoe then thought of the perfect question to ask. What^s your favourite subject? As unbelievable as it may sound, mine isn^t actually Flying. Charms definitely has my full interest.

Kira nodded as Zoe talked about flying and Quidditch. She herself had read up on the subject, and whereas it didn't seem quite her cup of tea she could definitely see the appeal.

Kira smiled when she said that Charms was her favorite class. "Well, I love Herbology, but I also really like Potions class. It's like a perfect combination,"

Kira changed the subject then. "So, what's the Gryffindor tower like? I have to answer a riddle to get into the Ravenclaw tower."

Zoe agreed with Kira that Potions and Herbology were a really well suited combination. She didn^t mind Potions, but she had only ever heard about Herbology from Mariah. She had been obsessed with it.

Zoe would have liked to lie and say that she was very familiar on how to enter the Gryffindor tower; but the truth was she never went there by herself, so she had never really given much thought to how to do it herself.

You give some sort of password to a portrait called Fat Lady, Zoe said, tapping her chin. Apparently she changes the password every week. I guess...my siblings told me, but I wasn^t paying enough attention. She giggled sheepishly, and then made a mental note to go and try it out on her own. Hey, do you know about the other houses by any chance?

Kira nodded in response to Zoe's answers and to her question about the other houses. "According to the History of Hogwarts, the Hufflepuffs are by the kitchen and the Slytherins are in the dungeons." She smiled playfully. "I think I'd rather be a Hufflepuff," She teased lightly, "The Slytherins must be so cold down there."

Zoe laughed at Kira^s reasoning for rather being a Hufflepuff. To be honest, I would want to be a Hufflepuff because they^re all closer to the food! She laughed, not the least bit ashamed. But then she reminded herself why she wanted to be in Gryffindor with all of her heart. ...But Gryffindor is the only house for me.

My whole family have been Gryffindors, she explained. All the way back five generations. My mother was the one who decided to break the Pure Blood streak and marry my Dad. But I think it makes us cool. Being mixed makes people kind of unique, don^t you think? I feel bad for those who don^t think so and make fun of Half and Mixed Bloods. Zoe felt herself drain of cheeriness, as she remembered her oldest brother Ezra and his challenges at Hogwarts.

Kira noted Zoe's odd reaction, and she smiled apologetically at the blond. "I'm sorry, Zoey, I don't really know about any of that. If either of my parents were magical, they never said anything. Tyra, my older sister, she's not magical. And I didn't know I was until my letter came in. I do think you're right though, about mixed being special. Tyra and I are mixed, I think, and she's really special." She smiled encouragingly.

Zoe nodded as Kira explained that she had not even known she was magical until her acceptance letter. She then understood the disjoint in what she was saying - how Mixed Bloods were often bullied and belittled for being so.
You don^t have to say sorry, Zoe shook her head. It was my brother who got the brunt of it; not me or the twins.

She then smiled a little when Kira agreed that they were indeed special - and not in a superior way; more like in a validation kind of way. She recalled her mother also warning each one of them that Pure Blood Wizards would more often than not look down on a family like the Harknesses, and at her mother^s choice. She often wondered what her time at Hogwarts had been like.

Okay, Zoe said, gesturing laying a table flat, Maybe we should drift away from the depressing stuff and get back to the happy stuff. She then thought of a new conversation point. How about...what^s your favourite book and why?

Kira nodded at Zoe's response and actually giggled when she decided to change the subject. Her question, though, was an easy one. "Oh, I don't have a favorite." She stated simply. "I read so many wonderful books, it's nearly impossible to choose just one. I do have a shelf next to my bed though, with a dozen or so of the ones I simply love more than the others. Do you have a favorite book? Something you like when it rains, maybe?"

I don^t have a favourite book, per say, Zoe admitted, but I do have a little selection of books by Stephen King that I absolutely love.

She may not be much of a reader, but Zoe adored Stephen King. She blames her sister for recommending them. She then realised that her and Mariah were the only ones who actually read books. Ezra spent his days playing video games; Jacob was almost never in the house - thank goodness for that; and the twins were too busy butting into other people^s lives on a daily basis.

Are you excited for Second Year? Zoe then asked, because to be honest, she was a little scared. The difference between 11 and 12 was a lot bigger than just age.

Kira nodded. "Stephen King is a good author, I always liked 'It'."

Zoe continued to ask if Kira was ready for second year, and Kira instinctively she glanced at her bag of books. "I don't think anyone can really be prepared for next year," She said slowly. "There aren't any books on going from first years to second who know what they're doing." She looked back at Zoe, smiling nervously. "I guess it makes it easier if you have friends."

Oh my gosh - me too! It is definitely one of my favourites, Zoe agreed. Although, I have been a little nervous around clowns since reading it, she admitted.

It turned out that Kira wasn^t all too excited for Second Year either, and she agreed with the part about having friends. Hey Kira, Zoe asked cautiously, ...Have you got a lot of friends? I^m not out to single you, but I thought maybe...we could be friends. The Gryffindor smiled. The more the merrier, right?

And Zoe wasn^t just saying it - she really liked the idea of being friends with this girl. They had things in common, but they also had differences to balance each other out. And the more friends I have, she thought, the better.

Kira giggled when Zoe admitted to being nervous around clowns. "I can understand that," She admitted. "I was afraid of clowns before the book, and now I can't stand to look at them," She confided, not sure what it said about her that she had picked up a horror book on a man-eating clown.

Zoe's next question made Kira think. "Well," She started after a moment, "I talk to a few kids sometimes, but I can be really awkward and say weird things," She admitted, turning to look at the Gryffindor again with a smile. "But if you want to be friends I'd be happy to."

Zoe giggled as Kira admitted that she had been afraid of clowns even before she read the book. It did make her wonder why she had read it - but she found it rather funny.

Yay! Zoe lurched forward and embraced Kira in a quick hug. I can tell that we^re going to be great friends. Then she nodded as Kira explained about her lack of friends. I sometimes blurt things out without thinking too, Zoe admitted, trying to show Kira that she was not the only one. And just a little piece of advice - if you^re always worried that someone won^t like you because of something you can^t help, then they aren^t worth it.

Kira smiled warmly at Zoe. The blonds advice reminded her of what Tyra always said, and Kira told the girl as much. "My sister always says 'Just keep smiling', and I found that the easiest way to do that is to not worry about the things you can't change. As long as I can focus on what I can change," She nudged her bag full of books with her toe, "then I'm sure everything will turn out okay in the end."

Kira changed the subject then, out of curiosity. "So Zoe, what are you going to be doing over break anyway?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back