Mastering spells

Arianna Tipley

OOC First Name
Lizzy
Wand
Ash Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Hair from the Tail of a Male Unicorn
After dinner Arianna decided to find an unused classroom and practice her magic. She made her way her way to the sixth floor and found a empty room. She put her bag on a desk and pulled out her wand, revelling in the peace and quiet.
Remembering yesterday, when she had done her first magic ever, she decided to make sure she could still do it.
Holding her wand at the right angle, she said loudly "Lumos!" To her delight the end of her wand flared brightly, just like it had yesterday. She grinned and moved it around, watching shadows dance around the room.
After practising the spell a few more times, she got out her copie of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 and had a look for another spell that she could try.

Tracing her finger down the page, she found one that looked interesting. "Winguardium Leviosa" she said under her breath "Makes thing fly" Arianna definetly liked the sound of that one. She read the instuctions, and memorized them. "Swish and flick, swish flick." she recited a few times.

After a day of exploring the castle, Vivienne still somehow managed to wind up lost. It was getting late, and the candles on the wall weren't enough to light her way clearly. She was sure she was walking in circles, because every corridor looked the same. But as she came round a corner, she saw something different. A door was slightly ajar, and an odd glow was shining into the hallway. Vivienne's curiousity got the better of her, and she went to see what was inside. As she opened the door, she saw a girl about the same age sitting on a desk, reading a book. The light was coming from her wand.

"Oh, hello.. are you busy? Sorry, I just saw the light, and I was curious.. are you practising charms?" Vivienne said politely.

Arianna looked up surprised, to see a girl standing in the doorway looking a liitle lost. She smiled and said "Yeah I am, I LOVE charms. I'm Arianna, or Ari." She stood up and walked over to the girl "Do you want do it too?" she offered. "I was just about to start on Winguardium Leviosa" she said "Actually, before I do that, I should probably learn how to make fire, so that we can light the candles in this room" she said thoughtfully, and then added "But before I do that, I'll learn how make water, so that I can put out any fires I might accidentally start."

Skipping back over to the desk, she flipped through the pages of her book, and found the spell she was looking for. "Aguamenti" she recited. "Hmmm" she mumbled, rumaging through her bag "What.... Ah, here we go" she said, pulling out a water bottle with a flourish. "Perfect" she beamed

Vivienne laughed. "I know how to do the fire spell. Would you like me to teach it to you? Or I can just light the candles and you can take care of any.. accidents :lol: Ooh are a Hufflepuff too? Or are you wearing a yellow tie for some.. other strange reason?"

((ooc: Sorry for the slow replies, this is my first RP site so I'm still a bit slow))

Arianna laughed, "Nope, I am a proud Hufflepuff! I've had some people tell me Hufflepuff's are supposed to be a load of duffers, but that's not true! All the Hufflepuffs I've met have been really nice, and smart!"
She thought about Vivienne's offer, "I think I'd like to learn how to do the spell, I know the incantation, but I've never done it."

"Yeah, I totally agree. I think it's sad that Hufflepuffs are classified as the 'others' even though to be honest.. they're actually the nicest people! Think about it, would you rather be kind and caring, or smart, bold, and ambitious. In my opinion, being a nice person at the end of the day is the most important thing." Vivienne smiled. "Oh! I just realised I haven't even introduced myself. I'm Vivienne, but usually people just call me Viv or V, you can call me whatever you like."

Vivienne pulled out her wand.

"Now, with each spell, you need to hold your wand the right way. If it's a hard-core fighting spell, you'd hold it firmly and flick it sharply. But with a smaller spell like this, you need to hold your wand gently, like you're holding a pen. Then you flick it nicely like this, and say inCENdio nice and loud." a spark flew out the end of Vivienne's wand, and lit a candle, now flickering warmly.

(( ok, see you when you get back :D ))

"Wow, that was really cool!" Arianna exclaimed. "Ok, here we go" she said readying herself, and holding her wand like Vivienne said, but a little firmer, because she didn't want it to fly out of her hand. Aiming at a candle on the far wall, she flicked her wand and said firmly "InCENdio!" trying to mimic Vivienne. Instead of the candle coming to life, a few feeble sparks shot out of the end of her wand and landed on a nearby desk, where they smoked and fizzled. "Oh no!" Arianna squeaked, thinking she'd set the desk on fire. "Um, ah!" she said all panicky " Oh yeah!" she suddenly remembered. Pointing her wand at the desk, she gave it a firm flick and said forcefully " Aguamenti!" A jet of water flew from her wand, and drenched the desk. The force of the spell surprised Arianna, and her wand flew out of hand, landing on the other side of the room.

Vivienne picked up Arianna's wand, and handed it back to her. "That's ok, it's hard getting it right on the first go. I almost burnt down my dorm room when I tried it for the first time. Luckily someone else knew the water spell." She opened her bag, and pulled out a stack of napkins. "I wish I knew how to do little things like dry stuff immediately, like I saw a teacher do down at the breakfast table. Oh well, we'll have to make do with these napkins I took." Vivienne laughed, passing some to Arianna and trying to mop of the puddle.

Arianna sighed "Thanks, you're a life saver" She then burst out into giggles, it was pretty funny, and she was pretty sure the desk hadn't even been on fire. She took the napkins Vivienne handed her, and started mopping. After the puddle around the desk was gone, she surveyed the drenched desk with her hands on her hips. " Hmmm, how about we produce a little bit of fire, and try the dry the desk out?" she said. Though she wasn't sure if that was the best idea, just in case the desk really did get set on fire. "Or, we could look in the spell book and find the spell for drying things out, though it might take us a while to master it, but we do the perfect thing to practise on." she said thoughfully, weighing the two ideas.

Vivienne laughed along. "Hmm.. maybe shooting fire at something made of wood is not the best idea.. and I don't think 'drying spell' is in the books, it's more of something you just learn to do on your own. So instead we could either learn a wind spell, to dry it just as quickly as fire, minus the danger. Or, we could just leave it to dry naturally. Water on varnished wood wouldn't cause any damage, I don't think.." she laughed again. "Why am I rambling like this? I'm talking like we're solving a crime, when all it is is some water on a desk!"

Arianna giggled again, realising that Vivienne was right. She was really having fun with her, and hoped that they would become good friends.
"You're right, it's probably safest to just let it dry. I know there is a drought charm, but I'm not going to attempt it." She picked up her book and studied one of the pages. "Anyway, before I attempted to light a candle, I was going to try Winguardium Leviosa" she said. She started rumaging in her bag and pulled out her empty water bottle. This was light enough to try lifting, and if she accidentally destroted it, she could easily get another one. She didn't want to acciedentally destroy one of quills, because she needed those for classes, and didn't know when she'd be able to get another one. Setting the bottle on a desk she gingerly raised her wand. She more respectful of it's power now, and didn't want to accidentally do any more damage with it.

Vivienne quickly lit a few more candles when Arianna had her back turned. She didn't want to make her feel bad just because she didn't get it on her first go.

"Wingardium Leviosa? I tried that one before, but I couldn't do it very well. The first time it did it too gently, and it just rolled over. Then I tried it with more force and it flew right to the ceiling before crashing back down onto the floor. Unfortunately I tried with a pot of yoghurt.. I bet you can imagine what happened." Vivienne giggled, picturing herself covered in dripping strawberry goo.

Arianna laughed too, noticing that the candles were now lit. Knowing that Vivienne must have done it when she wasn't looking, so as not to offend her made her smile, Vivenne was so nice!
"Ok" she said readying herself, and pointing her wand at the drink bottle. Swish and flick. she recited in her head. She swished and flicked her wand, then said the incantation. Nothing happened. "I must have to say it at the same time as waving my wand" she said to herself.
This time, as she swished and flicked, she said strongly and clearly "Winguardium Leviosa!" The drink bottle shot up to the level of her wand, and she laughed joyfully and directed all around the room, making the candles flicker. Slowly she walked foward, and directed the bottle into her bag, then breathed out and ended the spell.

Vivienne cheered as Arianna lowered the bottle into her bag. "Wow that was so cool! That must be.. I dunno, your signature spell or something, seeing as you did it so quickly." Vivienne leaned against a desk. "I think I need to work on getting my flick just right. I did it too gently, then too forcefully.. since I didn't know how it was meant to be. But now I've seen you do it, I think I know how to flick it correctly." V walked around a table to get her own bottle out of her bag. "Can I try it now?"

"Go ahead! This is so cool that we're learning spells together!" Arianna exclaimed. She was having an absolute blast. She sat down with her book and watched as Vivienne prepared herself to cast the spell.

Vivienne smiled, and picked up her wand. She was having heaps of fun as well. "Ok, you held it like this didn't you?" she put down the bottle and prepared herself. "Wingardium Leviosa!" Moving her wrist, she slowly raised the bottle up and up. "Hey! I'm doing it!" She moved it in circles, figure eights, and any other pattern she could think off, before settling it back on the desk carefully. "I did it! Wow that was so cool! Even though it's probably not special, I'm still really pleased. Hey, I'm pleased when I learn anything!" Vivienne said, a massive smile now spread across her face. She quickly did the spell again, to make sure it wasn't just a fluke, before putting the bottle back in her bag.

Arianna grinned too. "I know what you mean, it seems so special, though other people might not think so. Well, I definetly think it's special!" she said enthusiastically. "Ok, why don't we go over the spells we've learnt, just make sure that we can still do them" she suggeted, thinking of the spells that she now knew. Lumos, Winguardium Leviosa, Incendio, Aquamenti.

"Ok, I'll start off with.. lumos." Vivienne cleared her throat, preparing to cast the spell. "Lumos!" The tip of her wand lit up at once, casting a bright glow around the room. "Knox. Well, that was quite easy.. I must admit that that's the spell I know the best. I've practised it quite a lot." Vivienne laughed, hoping she didn't sound boastful. "There's only one unlit candle left. I'll leave you that one incase you want to try incendio again."

"Thanks, that's what I was thinking too" Arianna said "I might do Lumos though too, just to warm up" Arianna too had done that spell quite a bit too. She cleared her throat, held her wand casually in front of her and said "Lumos" the end of her wand flared brightly, and she quickly said "Knox".
"Ok" she said nervously, thinking about what was she was about to do. Pointing her wand straight at the candle, she flicked it and repeated "Incendio!". Nothing happened. Looking sheepishly over her shoulder at Vivenne, she lowered her wand and said "I might practise that tommorrow, close to the lake" Arianna stepped aside so that Vivenne could light the last candle.

"Doing that spell by the lake is a good idea, you can just shoot the flame into the water. Oh wait.. you might accidentally fry the giant squid though.. But I guess if you like calimari, then you could have a free lifetime supply." Vivienne grinned. "I think I'll try Augamenti, I haven't really done that one.." she layed down some more napkins, to make an easier job cleaning up. "Augamenti!" A small stream of water rushed out the end of Vivienne's wand, flowing like a waterfall at her feet. "Hmm.. I guess that's not too bad.. I'll have to work on it though, to make a solid jet of water shooting forwards, not just a puddle.. dropping downwards." Vivienne said with a smile, stepping backwards to dry her shoes.

((ooc:sorry for the slowish reply, i closed HNZ and for some reason it wouldnt reopen for ages))

((I get that problem too!))

Arianna grinned back "Well actually, I'm a vegetarian, so no squid for me, but it should be alright"
She helped Vivienne mop up the water, and then straitened up, ready to try it herself. Remembering how the last time she had done it, the jet of water had been really powerful. She thought she'd better not put as much force into it this time. Pointing her wand straight at on of the candle on the wall, Arianna said firmly "Aguamenti" the jet fell a little short, but Arianna tred it again, and this time the candle was extinguished.

((i managed to reopen it by typing the whole address, including the http etc))

"Really? That's so cool! I don't like squid either :lol: . I'm sort of a.. casual vegetarian. Do you get what I mean? Like, if I go to dinner at someone's house, and they serve meat, I'll eat some to be polite. But when I have the choice, I don't eat meat." Vivienne pulled out her wand to light the candle again. "Incendio!" A flame shot out of her wand, but fizzled when it hit the candle. "Oh, of course, that candles wet." Vivienne turned to the other dry one and lit it quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back