Map-be we could be friends... or frenemies, up to you

"You don't like LEMON PIE!! HOW?!" He gasped when she refused to have a piece of lemon pie. It was one of his favorite flavors and he couldn't believe how someone could turn down the crispiness of the crust, the velvety lemon custard filling and dreamy fluffiness of the torched meringue. It was the greatest combination of culinary textures. "Fine. More for me!" He said and proceeded to cut a hearty slice for him, closing his eyes delighted at the sound of the knife breaking through the biscuit-like crust. He took a teaspoon and started eating greedily. "What about you favorite food, desert, animal, drink, color?" He could barely ask with his mouth full. "Don't tell me you like orange? I hate it!" He uttered in an absolute tone about his least favorite color.

Sapphire winced, leaning back a bit at his sudden outburst, ignoring the glares that were shot at them from other Slytherins. She decided not to tell him it was just pie. She dramatically stuck a finger in her ear and twisted it, sticking her tongue out at him.

She did manage to understand his garbled questions, around his mouthful of precious pie. She would have to remember this weakness in the future. She snorted at the orange comment. She could have made a snarky comment but decided to spare her hearing for now.

She drummed her fingers on the table, chin in hand as she thought. "Hm... let's see. I am particularly fond of fried chicken, and french fries are always heavenly. Desert is easy. Peanut butter cookies with a hint of cinnamon in them are absolutely the best thing in the world." She decided not to compare them to his... pie. That could be done later. When she could hear again. "Animal, well, I've always been fond of wild cats. Hot chocolate with whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon, that's divine. And color..." She eyed him teasingly for a moment. "I like black, and darker blues."

Sapphire was actually craving hot chocolate now, and reached for her cup. She peeked at it furtively, and almost died with delight. "Oh I love magic." She took a careful sip. Oh yes, there was cinnamon. She wrapped both hands around the goblet and took a deeper drink, almost forgetting Alkander there next to her.

Alkander was listening attentively as Sapphire shared her favorites, moving his head every time he had a mutual liking as he couldn't really talk with a full mouth. He loved peanut butter as well as cinnamon but they could top up a lemon pie. Overall, Sapphire's favorites were things that he liked as well. After he managed to gulp his mouthful, he proceeded to tell her about his favorite animal. "I like both eagles and lions so my favorite animal is the griffin. It is half eagle, half lion so embodies both my favorite animals." He explained, having realized that Sapphire might not be familiar with what exactly a griffin looked like. "I also like demiguises. They are apes that can turn invisible at will and can predict events in the immediate future." He described fervently, happy to tell her more of his knowledge for magical creatures. Alkander proceeded and pulled out of his pocket his wand.

It was pure white in color and subtly curved. "My wand has a core of demiguise hair." He told her and gave it a wave. "I have named it Willowisp because it's made from willow and is white, well like the will o the wisp's ghost light." He explained the reason behind the naming. "Do you know how to cast any spells?" He asked, really wanting to demonstrate to her the wand-lighting charm he had recently managed to cast once successfully. "I know one but it doesn't last long." He admitted and had another bite of his desert, unaware that the tip of his nose had a touch of meringue now.

Sapphire listened to Alkander talking and knew that either she would have to get him really going on all the different magic animals, or she would need to hit the library. The second one sounded more fun, she could use it to gain knowledge without him and surprise him with it later.

She looked at his wand curiously, wondering if it was common to name your wand. She hadn't really messed with hers yet, and she told him as much when he asked if she knew any spells. "I've been busy playing with potions," She admitted with a sly grin, before reaching out and swiping the meringue off his nose. She licked it off her finger and set her hot chocolate down gently. "But, if you want to show me that spell I suppose now is as good a time as ever to try."

Saph turned to him then, waiting for his response.

Potion making was considered a much more complex task than spell casting so Alkander was quite surprised when he heard that Sapphire had been working on that. He was about to express his admiration but she interrupted him when she swept off his nose some meringue. He recovered quickly from his embarrassment when she told him to show her the spell. "Lumos!" He said firmly and flicked his white wand. Αn orb of golden light burst out of its wand's tip. Alkander could feel a subtle warm on his face. "See? Now you can wander the corridors late at night." He said with a smile as he waved his illuminated wand. He wasn't sure if that was an entirely good idea. The spell could help you see in darkness but at the same time, it rendered the caster visible to others as well. It was a double-edged sword. It could help you find your way in complete darkness or it could attract patrolling professors and prefects to your location.

"And there is the counter spell as well. Watch." He said as he raised his wand in preparation to cast another spell. "Nox!" He flicked his wand but it continued radiating light out of his tip. Losing no hope, he tried again repeatedly. "Nox! Nox! Nooox!" Alkander started flicking his illuminated wand, desperate to extinguish the light but to no avail. "You know, usually the charm fizzles out after a while. I haven't used the counter spell before." He admitted reluctantly, still looking at the glowing tip of his wand. "It's warm to the touch and it doesn't burn. Check it out." He offered by bringing his wand closer for her to examine his assertion. An attempt to abstract her attention from his previous fiasco.

Sapphire was slightly impressed when Alkander brandished his wand and it lit up brilliantly. It was like a flashlight without batteries. She laughed when he couldn't turn it off though. She half listened to him talk, wondering how she ended up with such an obnoxious if not amusing Gryffindor during breakfast. Speaking of, a thought crossed Sapphire's mind. She turned her attention from Alkander and the wand he had held out to her to look around the Great Hall. It was almost empty. Which meant she would be late for her first class of the day- or at least, later than she usually was.

Sapphire leaned down and collected her things quickly, before standing and giving Alkander a playful grin. "Well, Alakazander, it's been a lovely breakfast, but I'm afraid I must depart." She stuck her tongue out at him and hurried off, her raven hair bouncing against her shoulders as she left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back