Looking for Something Better to Do

Maia Huang

OOC First Name
Steven
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Knotted 11 1/2 Inch Rigid Mahogany Wand with Kelpie Hair Core
Maia sighed as she put her brown backpack down on the ground. It had been a long day and quite frankly she would do anything for it to be over. However, with the amount of homework the Professors had given her earlier, she would have to push the thought of going to bed aside for now. Maia bend over to the side and opened her backpack, taking out her copy of Intermediate Transfiguration, a quill, a bottle of ink and a piece of crumpled parchment that she had put inside of her backpack hastily once one of the Professors dismissed their students from class. Although the third year was rather good at Transfiguration, the homework assigned to the class was complicated and confusing. It was so confusing that she signed deeply and closed the book in front of her, looking around the room in the hope that one of her classmates was around to help her out, but could not spot anyone familiar. Maia decided that she'd continue her homework some other time and started looking around once again - she wasn't tired anymore so going in for an early night was out of the question.

Elvira was good at avoiding things. Things like bludgers, homework, and parents questions about said homework. Today she was busy avoiding the second thing, and it was growing more difficult as the small nagging voice in the back of her mind started telling her again and again that there was a lot she still had to do. In her attempt to look for anything distracting, she noticed a girl that seemed to be having a similar problem. With a grin, Elvira headed over to her. She was younger, probably only one year below Elvira, and seemed friendly enough at first glance. "Hey, homework boring you to tears?" She asked, glancing over at the book before pulling a face. "Blegh, Transfiguration is the worst. Wanna hang out with me and forget all about it instead?" She grinned, holding out her hand. "I'm Elvira, professional homework avoider. What's your name?"

Maia groaned as she tried to come up with something to do instead of homework. She looked up as a slightly older girl approached her and nodded her head at the question. ''More or less,'' Maia added. She grinned when the girl said that Transfiguration was the worst and couldn't agree more with her at the moment. She figured she could ask the Professor for help but wasn't sure if they were still in their classroom, but after some thinking decided not go and see if they were as she did not feel like walking all the way towards the classroom right now. ''Sure, anything better than sitting here and doing nothing,'' the girl replied. Maia chuckled at the girl when she introduced herself and took her hand to shake it. ''I'm Maia, amateur homework avoider.'' She didn't like the fact that she could not finish her homework at the moment but knew that doing it whilst not understanding it wouldn't do her much good gradewise.

Elvira didn't need more invitation than the girl's friendly reception, and cheerfully took a seat next to her. She grinned. "Doing nothing is an amateur move, you need to do something fun so you can forget all about homework and only focus on the fun instead." She told her with a bright smile. "I usually fly, or hang out with my friends. No boring things allowed." She said with a firm nod. "So, Maia, I don't think you're in my year, right? Year below?" She asked curiously. Elvira had a pile of her own homework waiting for her, but she cheerfully pushed that thought from her brain. Making a new friend was more important and more fun, and Maia was probably very fun when she wasn't being all serious. If not, Elvira could probably teach her to be fun. "What do you like to do?"

Maia smiled when the older girl sat down next to her and shifted her position on the chair to face Elvira whilst the two of them would be talking to one another. She agreed with the girl that doing nothing was indeed an amateur move but it was honestly all she could think of doing whilst waiting to start feeling tired again, which could take her hours if she would be so unfortunate. Maia nodded at the girl's question and said, ''I think so?'' not being completely sure as to what year the girl next to her was in. ''I'm a third year.'' she answered. She shrugged when Elvira asked her what she liked to do. ''I like to fly also,'' she told Elvira, thinking of other things she liked doing in her spare time. It was a shame to her that she did not get to fly as much as she had wanted to this year. Had it not been for the girl's parents insisting on waiting another year before trying out for the Quidditch team, Maia would've probably made the team as an alternate, which meant that she would have been able to fly more without being frowned upon when walking towards the stadium with a broomstick in her right hand. ''I don't really know anything else I'd like to do at the moment.'' except her homework, which she couldn't.

Elvira grinned at the younger girl and nodded. "I'm a mighty and all-knowing fourth year, so yes." She said with a wink to show she was joking, mostly. "You should be looking up to me, you know." She joked, making herself comfortable in her own chair. "You like to fly?" She asked, excitement creeping into her voice. "Okay, that means you have to try out for the team next year. We need people, stat." She said seriously, pointing at the girl. "Our chaser and one of our captains is graduating, as is our seeker and our keeper! That's like, half the team." She sighed, shaking her head. "We need some fresh blood, and you look pretty fresh to me." She said with a grin, poking her arm. "Will you try out?" She asked her, hoping she would say yes. "Which position, if you do?" She hoped not seeker, as that was hers now. Hopefully. "We could go out to fly, it's the best way to avoid homework." And Elvira could see if she was any good.

Maia laughed at what the girl said, as it reminded her of what her brother used to say to her back when he was still a student at Beauxbatons. She nodded slightly when Elvira asked if she would try out for a position next year and said, "That's the plan, yes. I wanted to participate in this years try outs but my parents persuaded me to wait another year so I could figure out what position I'd prefer to play as and then train for said position for next year." While she did not agree with that at first, in time she began to understand why her parents had convinced her to wait, as she had figured out which of the four she was going to be trying out for. "Chaser," she answered with confidence when the girl asked what position she would be trying out for were she going to participate. "I have been practicing all year this year so I feel pretty confident about my chances." Maia told Elvira with a grin on her face. And with one of their Chasers graduating soon, the girl knew that she needed to show the other captain that she was best suited to replace Grace Holland for the position of Chaser. When Elvira suggested going outside to fly, the third year jumped up from the chair she was sitting on and excitedly said, "All right, let's go!" eager to show the older girl what she was made of.

Elvira grinned. "Next year is a better time, anyway. And I can show you the ropes as I'll be super experienced by next year." She said, puffing up her chest slightly in pride, partly joking. "I'm planning to do very well during practices and then take the current graduating seeker's place next year. I hope it works out that way." She sighed, it would suck if they took on someone new to fill the position, as she really did work hard. It just bothered her that she had never managed to find the snitch in a practice so far. She was relieved when the girl said she would try out for chaser, as that wouldn't put her in competition with Elvira. "Awesome, we're gonna need one of those." She said with a smile. She nodded in approval when Maia sad she had been practicing all year, as that was a good step. She was pleasantly surprised when she agreed to go flying without hesitation, and she liked that she hardly seemed to need to think about it. "Awesome!" She said, getting to her feet too. "I could play Keeper for a bit, though I'm pretty bad at that, so be warned it won't be the most accurate assessment of your skills."

Maia was happy to hear that Elvira would show her the ropes if she would make the team next year, as it would be nice to have someone who could guide the third year throughout the season. She nodded when the girl told her that she wanted to take over the current Seeker's place on the team next year and smiled. ''I'm sure you'll do well to impress the captain during try-outs,'' she commented, genuinely hoping that Elvira would be playing said position next season because she admired the girl's passion for the famous wizarding sport. ''We should practice together if you and I both make the team next year. It'd be nice to have someone to practice for sure,'' Maia suggested, hoping that the girl next to her would like to train with her besides the scheduled practices. She grinned at her response and nodded her head. ''That's all right,'' Maia said, ''I'll practice on long-distance shots then so the Quaffle will be easier to catch - Need to perfect those shots anyway.'' though she was sure that she could still give Elvira a hard time catching the ball even from a distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back