+like painting her end

David Mayfield

OOC First Name
David
David Mayfield, head bowed, stood with one arm protectively around the shoulders of his wife, Tess. His three girls, three out of four, stood with him. Benny, his son, stood apart. David's family were grieving the loss of their niece, their cousin. Imploding, crushing, yet David was more concerned for the health of his pregnant wife. Since she'd heard the news, Tess had become a shell, barely eating enough to keep the unborn child alive. The man, wearied beyond his years, looked up at the crowds milling about the hall. He recognised only a few, but they all knew Aroha, and they all wanted to say goodbye. His eldest, Riley was supposed to be officating this ceremony, but she'd not spoken since they arrived. "Riley," he murmured lightly, heart bubbling with pain and misery. "You sure you want to do this honey?"

Riley Abigail Lillis stood, emotions at bay amongst her family. One arm was in a cloth sling; she had stupidly refused to stop skiing when being told the news, and came off worse against the rock. But Riley couldn't feel the pain, it was only numb. The skiier was in shock, but was required to continue with her duties, like running the funeral for her cousin. A small nod seemed suffice to quieten her father, leaving Riley to break the chain holding her family together and to move towards the coffin. Most of the people around the hall seemed to follow her lead, taking their seats. And finally, Riley watched David move their family to the reserved seats at the front. Riley took a moment to look around, Aroha had more friends than she would have ever admitted to having.

"Aroha May Jennings. A Gryffindor, a friend, a cousin, a niece..." as Riley spoke, she reflected on how final this funeral made her cousin's death. And summoning the bravery that Aroha had took to living her every day, Riley's voice kept going, the tall girl not noticing the tear land on the stand before her. By the end, when Riley had finished her monologue, she was in tatters. She only had one thing left to say, her voice small, beat down and sad.

"Bye, Aroha."

Eyes streaming, Olive let herself be guided to her seat. There were other Hufflepuffs, Sephora and Mikkie here too, but Olive couldn't bring herself to look. Her arms shrunk around herself, Olive not knowing what to think. Why did Aroha have to be killed, when she'd been getting better so quickly? Olive remembered the conversation, the last she'd had with her cousin.

"I'll go get lunch, then."
"No, I can do it."
"Nah, you stay here."

Olive wished more than anything that she'd been the one to go, made some excuse. The Hufflepuff was drowning in guilt, she'd fallen apart but lost the instruction manual.

She never really did get her name correctly. Ever. Blame on my Vietnamese accent, blame it on my forgetful memories, or blame it on the fact the girl had always been a victim without knowing. Jaden stood, amongst the faces of many who came to pay respect to Miss Jennings. A girl she had tried to protect without significantly admitting to her actions once. That day came storming back to her thoughts, as she stood weary, her eyes close, while she whispered her last goodbyes. The pain of someone dying hit her greatly than last time before, the last time she could'nt say she ever knew the boy. The boy who's life was cut shortly in the forbidden forest, this time it had been someone she knew. This time around, its different. A tear sting her eyes, while her mother stood right next to her, a middle age woman with the same reddish hair as Jaden, held her close to comfort her. She tried to assured her, everything will be alright that Miss. Jennings will be up there in Heaven looking down at them. Her mother a muggel woman with beliefs, made it sound so easy, when Jaden herself couldn't say for that to be true. They never actually taught us that in school before, instead of making it seem okay, she cried more for her spirit.

Sephora walked quietly as she could into the room as possible - her tiny kitten heels clicking rhythmically, guilt and shame building up inside her with each step. She smoothed her dress down and stared towards Aroha's casket.

"Why you Aroha? Your life hasn't even started and now your gone"

She gave a small sigh and stared down at her feet, she wouldn't believe it. Aroha isn't gone and yet she's lying over there in the deepest sleep possible. She gave a small hiccup as a tear fell gently down her face.

"No Sephora! Don't!" Aroha once said to her frantically.
She remembered the scene clearly: she was in the great hall fighting tooth and nail with Maria.
Aroha happened to be one of the spectators and one of her only friend.

"I should have listened to you...and I know it now, I wish I knew you as well as everyone else did here, but I didn't. I'm sorry to be such a horrible friend."
Her thoughts echoed with the aching of her heart. She glimpsed down at the crystal rose broach that she brought and for some reason, she just knew what to do with it.

((Hello! I made an appearance and from today ONWARDS I'M OFFICIALLY BACK :D..with a nasty plot twist >.<))

Standing at the back of the room, Melodie could hardly bring herself to take a seat. She felt like an intruder in the lives of Aroha's family, she knew the girl, but not like these people did. They had lost a daughter, a niece, a cousin. They had lost everything. The thought of the fourteen year old's body lying in the street only brought back the sharpest memories of her own attack to the part veela. Though she had been the lucky one, her body strong enough to handle it, and her knight in shining armour arriving right on cue. Aroha May Jennings was sick, and anyone cold enough to prey on a sick little girl deserved whatever they would get. Holding back tears, the Professor felt silly. It was the first time she had cried since her attack, and the warm tears that ran down her cheek felt so unfamiliar to her.

Aroha had become a true Gryffindor, she was brave, and Melodie reassured herself that she died a strong little girl. Listening to each person's speech she could barely imagine what would happen if she lost one of her sons. She couldn't imagine what the Lillis family were gong through, or even what Izaak had been through with Ella and Alexis. Though she could try to understand, that was all she could do now. Wrapping her scarf around herself more tightly, Melodie slipped out the back door before anyone could see her. She had made her appearance, that was all that was required of her. The family needed time now, as she knew all too well that only time could heal such deep wounds.

Feeling as if she couldn't sit in silence anymore, Sephora decided to leave.
But before she did, she did one more thing.

Walking towards Aroha's casket and feeling the wood panel beneath her fingers she smiled and un-pinned the crystal rose that was pinned onto her jacket and laid it on the casket and smiled.
"You are the most bravest, sweetest and most kind hearted person that I have known while I was at Hogwarts. I wish that I known you more and spent more time with you and it's something that I'll forever regret...You may be lying here in front of me. but your spirit will live on. Goodbye Aroha. I'll miss you." She whispered quietly.

She looked around the room for the first time - she smiled sympathetically to what seemed like Aroha's family.
And with that, she walked out, tears flowing freely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back