Larissa Sedgwick

OOC First Name
Beth / Bethy
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Cherry Wand 12 1/2" Essence of Wood Rose
12th March, 2032.

The cold ebbed away as the sun rose on the light of another day in England. It was a fair sight easier to survive the passing time as the seasons changed and Winter fled. The street was lit with gold sunlight as Larissa walked, barely recognisable beneath the mop of died black hair and pallid features. Her hoody stretched across the bump beneath, revealing how long she had been gone. Eight months had passed just like that. Her bones ached with the focussed weight. Had it not been for her magic, she would have died long ago.
The ancient church stood in the shadow of a large brick office block, but the signs outside beckoned her in. Larissa traipsed inside the building and seated herself upon a heavy wooden bench, too tired to notice the aged woman arranging a vase of flowers beside the font.
The sounds of muggles outside awakening to the promise of a new day, became a muffled sound cushioning Larissa's weary head. She slumped forward, her eyes closing, giving way to sleep. But her peaceful moment did not last for very long. A faint kicking invaded her dream. Larissa's hand instinctively fell to her bump, stroking it to sooth the creature. But it did not settle. In fact, it grew more restless with each passing moment until a pain struck Larissa's body, jolting her fully awake, bringing her to her senses. She gasped, unintentionally alerting the aged woman to her presence, who immediately moved to her side to offer comfort.
"My dear, are you alright?"
Larissa tried to shake her head, but another pain shot through her. Raising her head to look the woman in the eyes, she tried to shift her hand and highlight the large bump. But it was far too early for this. It wasn't time.
She could hear herself internally beg for another moment of rest just to regain some strength, to give herself a chance.
The woman, now aware of her condition, hurried into the vestry to contact someone for help. She returned but a moment later with a neatly shaven man in black clothes. He looked flustered and confused, but upon siting Larissa, turned to the aged woman and ordered her to wait outside for the ambulance.
The man's eyes found Larissa's face, witnessing her pain. He outreached a hand for her to hold. She was too weak not to take it, to question her beliefs and her life choices. Then again, it was not like she had not jepordised that enough already.
The wait felt like an eternity. Her labour grew more intense and painful as she struggled to hold back the tears. She fought them for her dignity. She did not want them to know her suffering. She wanted no-one to know. But at long last, the ambulance reached them, a man in green clothing began speaking to Larissa, promising her that she would be kept safe.

The hospital stank of disinfectant and the breeze passing through sent a shudder down her spine, but Larissa had no freedom, now, no privacy to hide her child. She panted and pushed and did as she had done before for her daughter, and the hours passed by with little sign of progress until the afternoon had arrived in a scream and a cry, a final push and a bolt of adrenaline. The creature was free, sooner than expected, caged in a unit and monitored at it's mother's bedside.
Larissa fell back against her pillows, advised to rest and thankful of the safety of the room. The door was closed and her eyes did likewise, nestling her into an exhaustive sleep.
When she awoke, Larissa's first instinct had been to bathe, to eat, and to watch over her newborn baby boy. A nurse encroached upon her space, looking to the child and Larissa's fingers reaching through to stroke his tiny fingers.
"'e's beautiful," she beamed, passing Larissa a hot tea and setting to work making the bed while it was vacant, "'ave you got a name for 'im yet? I always liked the idea of naming mine after relatives. You know, to 'onour 'em, like."
Larissa stared absently into the incubator, not wholly listening to the musings of the young nurse, not really caring. She already knew the child's name, even without the nurse's prompting. She had decided it during one long Winter's night when the cold had seared her cheeks and she had saught shelter at a hostel, where she had remained for a number of weeks before moving on to the next one.
"He has a name," she finally replied, looking to the nurse with her piercing blue eyes, "and his name is Godric."

She kissed his hands through the open incubator, holding her son for the very first, and the very last time. His warmth sent her heart into a frenzy of love for him. But she knew he could not be hers to keep. She looked deep into his blue eyes. Just like his father's. A tear trickled down her cheek as she kissed the top of his head and set him back in the safety of his incubator. She looked at him with melting sadness.
"I'm sorry, Godric," she spoke steadily as she could, "I love you. I will always love you. This is for your own safety. They will look after you, I promise. Daddy will find you."
Larissa pressed a tiny note into the child's hand, shot him one last look of goodbye, and disappeared down the corridor unnoticed.
Godric lay in the incubator, clutching the note and sleeping, unaware of the life-changing situation that would now leave him to question why his mother had left him alone in a busy English hospital, and why his father would not turn up for another nine years.

17th April, 2032.

Andrew clattered about in the kitchen, searching for the tiny set of bowls he fed Lily cereal from. The toddler giggled from behind him, and he turned to face her with a frown. His face eased up as he realised his stupidity. "Of course," he sighed with a shake of his head, sitting down to join her at the table, "it would be right in front of you. Daddy's really lost it." Lily gave a chuckle and Andrew kissed her head, lifting the cereal packet to pour a healthy sized helping into the bowl, before picking up the glass milk bottle to top it all off.
It was then, just as milk spilt onto the baby-cereal, that he heard the latch go on the front door. Instantly his wand was snatched up from his belt and stealthily stored at his back. He approached the kitchen door in silence, turning his head only to check on Lily, before opening the door very suddenly.
His heart gave a thud. She was back. All these months and she had finally come home to him, to her daughter. There was no way this was real. And she looked so different. She was paler, thinner, and her hair hung limp and dark against her neck. What the hell had happened to her?
She looked up to catch his eye, and Andrew moved closer to her, putting his wand away. "L.. Larissa?" He stammered, not daring to believe his wife had really come back to him after all this time. He still loved her. He still worshipped her. But why had she done this?
"Please," he pressed a hand to her shoulder, guiding her through to the living room, "please, erm, sit. I'll.. I'll get you a drink." He hurried back into the kitchen, setting a full kettle on the stove and spoon-feeding Lily while he waited for it to boil. She ate happily, having not heard her mother's voice.

Lily was back in her bedroom upstairs, playing happily with her cuddly toys scattered across the floor. Larissa and Andrew sat in the living in separate chairs, staring into the fireplace and wielding tea they seemed unlikely to ever drink. At last, Andrew shifted and sat up straight, looking at his wife, her ragged hair and her dull baggy clothes. ".. I just don't understand," he said into the silence, "why did you leave us like that? What made you just go? I thought we were doing so well. I thought.. I thought you cared about us."

Larissa sat in silence. It said more than she dared to voice. She had no intention of explaining to Andrew the struggle she had indured over the past months, or her reasons for leaving in the first place. Instead of responding immediately to his questions, Larissa raised the tea cup to her lips and sipped. It had already turned cold but she didn't care. It just made for an excuse not to speak. Not to tell him why she had left. But at last, something seemed to catch up with her and she opened her mouth to answer.
"I missed the both of you more than anything. I do care. That's why I had to go."
She lapsed back into silence, refusing to say more by sipping further at her tea before casting Andrew a look which invited him closer to her. They joined on the sofa and she cuddled into his chest, the most affection she had shown towards him since just after Lily's birth.
She sat up again a moment later, pecking his lips with a vacant look in her eyes. "I'm going to check on Lily," she said, getting to her feet in one aching movement, "I believe there was cake when I left. Perhaps it could magically reappear." For the first time in months, Larissa smiled gently, and then departed upstairs to pay a visit to the little girl she lived and longed for.
And Lily was only too pleased to see her.

Lily cuddled up to her pink toy rabbit, flopping its ears around and gripping its stomach. She made it bounce and dance the way her father did to keep her smiling and giggling in the small hours of the night when sleep ached but did not come. But the toys could only sooth the unease she felt in not seeing her mother for such a long time. Oh, the hours of a child, they'd pass so slowly in a burnt amber shade.
The bedroom door creaked open. Lily turned her head, expecting the sight of her father bringing her a sweet treat. But it wasn't him. It was someone she had not seen in so long, and while she looked and smelled different, it was almost definitely her mother.
"Mummy!" Lily squealed, dropping her toy rabbit and running to her mother with outstretched little arms.
The embrace seemed to last forever. Lily's cheek grew moist with her mother's tears. At long last, Lily was freed of her mother's arms, and she grabbed hold of the toy rabbit again, showing it off. "Look, mummy, look! Bunny!" She shook the toy in her mother's face, missing the attention of all those months ago, but not for a second holding it against her.

Larissa beamed, immediately welling up at the sight of her daughter. Oh, how her little girl had grown; the thin wisps of blonde hair had now grown into barrelling locks laying softly on her petit head. She was also about two inches taller with a flowery white dress reaching her knees.
The little girl ran towards Larissa with open arms and she swept Lily up in her own within moments, never wanting to let go again. This was worth the months of suffering. This warmth and snug feeling of being back with her daughter, it was worth the pain. But with a pang of guilt she let Lily gently go and fetch one of her toys, probably a Christmas present from the in-laws.
She had another baby. She had a son. He needed her just as much. He needed his mummy just as much as Lily did. What had she done?
Lily shook a toy in her face, and it brought Larissa back to earth. She smiled at the tiny child, making an effort to force the smile back on to her face. "Oh, wow!" she said, "bunny!"

Larissa and Lily played together, for a time, with the selection of cuddly toys the girl seemed to have drowned in over Christmas. Until, at last, Larissa summoned a book to her side and began to read to little Lily. A sound of footsteps on the stairs was the only thing to keep her alert in the comfortable warmth and stability of the family home, and Andrew joined them a moment later, bringing them both a slice of warm homemade cake and a glass of orange juice each.
"Thank you, Andrew," Larissa said, turning her head to make a point of finding her husband's eyes and smiling into them. She had to make this work, now. This was her life and there was no going back.

Lily had fallen into a deep and gentle slumber. Larissa and Andrew sat downstairs around the fire, watching the cool embers dying away in the evening glow. She could feel her husband's eyes on her the entire time, though she barely acknowledged them.
"Andrew," she broke the silence like a knife through warm butter, "I'm sorry. I really am."
Larissa shrugged her shoulders back to shed the blanket strung across them. Her lank hair hung limply against her neck. She had every intention to cut it and style it and get it back to her natural colour. The disguise was no longer required.

Andrew shuffled in his seat, shifting his slipper on and off his foot. He did not say much but simply observed. His wife had been gone so long that it felt a crime to have her back. A blessing, but a warped one at that. She seemed happy to be with him and that was good, so he mused, but why now? Why wait all these months to come back now? What was the significance of the matter?
His eyes moved from his slippers, to the clock on the mantelpiece, to his wife's stony face. Her apology came as could be expected, but the sudden drip from the corner of her eye was less anticipated. It melted his heart to see such emotion when she had been so cold and distant before. Something had happened, Merlin knew what, but it had happened and she had changed for the better.
Andrew kicked on his slipper and rushed to his wife's side, perching beside with an arm around her shoulders, pulling her in close. She sobbed into his dressing-gown, staining it with dark watery marks. "Oh, Larissa," he gushed, "please don't cry."
He leant back to wipe away a tear from her gaunt cheeks. "It's okay," he comforted, "I'm here. It's alright. I will take care of you. I promise."

Larissa sobbed into her husband's gown, soaking it. His arms were a blanket of warmth, and his words were a squeeze of strength. He was going to look after her. He was going to keep her safe. They could be together and he would make sure nobody would ever lay a finger on her. He was going to take care of their perfect little family. But he wouldn't if he knew what she had done. He would leave her on the spot.
For the first time in her life, it felt like she actually needed Andrew.
Her heart gave a loud thud, reminding her of her mortality. It made her straighten up and kiss his cheek. And then his nose. And then his lips. She remembered having kissed him for the very first time, how it had been fuelled by confusion and loneliness. But this time it really meant something.
She was falling in love with him.
Larissa took his head in her arms, pulling him closer to her. She kissed him again, more passionately this time, surprised by the results, the stirring feeling in her mind. And all it had take were those few small words. That one promise.
She parted herself from him to stand and reach out her hand to him, taking hold of his and leading him out from the room and up the aging stairs. She had never felt so grateful to lay in their marriage bed, to feel the soft sheets beneath her and the way the padding of the mattress supported her thin frame.
The floor gave a creak beneath the weight of the two of them on the bed. She sunk deeper into the mattress, burying her shoulders as far into it as she could, thrusting her head back into the soft delight of the pillow she had rested on so many times before but never appreciated. Larissa let out a low sigh of approval. She was so glad to be back with Andrew in this room, in this house, in a way she had never felt before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back