Lesson?

Sophia stood and brushed herself off before turning to face Professor King. "You suppose? But Professor King, that would put you in the grey." Sophia could not help but smirk at the Professor as she said this.

"Ah, right you are Ms. Stark." Professor King said almost dismissively, “But perhaps I am positive that I suppose? As there is no way to be sure what exactly happened, only you can tell me that.”

Sophia's smirk faded into an impassive expression. "Good point Professor. I believe I am beginning to get it, but I know it could be better. It can always be better."

"Alright then." Professor King said as a dummy rose from behind Sophia.

Sophia looked in confusion at the Professor and then turned around. A gasp of frightened surprise escaped her lips and she closed her eyes. She did not struggle, but merely let the fear consume her. Let myself help myself.

The warm surge went through her body again, this time stronger, and the dummy dropped lifeless to the ground as soon as it touched her. Sophia opened her eyes and turned to Professor King with a triumphant look on her face. "Magic is really very surprising sometimes."

Professor King watched with interest as Sophia handled the dummy, impressed that she had so quickly removed barriers that he believed had been with her for quite a while, or at least the three years he had known her. He smiled kindly as she made her comment about magic. "I like to think it is not magic that is surprising, magic in my eyes has always been the same, all that changes about it is how we use it." he paused a moment then continued, "I like to believe it is the people who wield magic that are surprising."

Sophia blinked her golden eyes a few times, staring with interest at the Professor. "Does this mean I surprised you Professor?" she asked curiously. Sophia knew it was probably odd to the Professor that she had been able to let go of herself as she did. She would have to thank Bruin later, although Sophia was not sure he knew how much he had helped change her.

"Quite frankly, yes Ms. Stark you did. For a while I thought this could take more than just today." PRofessor King said, hoping she would take no offense to this statement. He knew she was talented, but natural instinct had never seemed like how she did things.

Sophia nodded at Professor King's statement, looking a bit melancholy. "Yes, well, I must admit Professor that I had the same thoughts. But I am nowhere near finished with the spell, it could be much better in my opinion. I simply need to work on it." She smiled softly at the Professor, a rarity for her, and especially for him.

"I'm not quite sure how you are going to perefect an innate ability except by not hindering it." Professor King said, "But I suppose you can work on letting your magic flow." he affirmed as now a handful of dummies began to approach Sophia. "Don't focus on not stoping yourself. Just don't." he advised, knowing it was much easier said than done, especially when all you were doing is practising not stoping yourself.

Sophia did not even gasp as she observed the dummies approaching her. Immediately she closed her eyes and focused on nothing, allowing the fear to consume her. She did not think about how silly it all seemed, but instead on how she needed help. With her mind and body open to her magic Sophia waited, her eyes still closed.

The warm pulse Sophia had been feeling entered her body, this time much stronger than the previous two. The pulse strengthened and once again charged through her body as soon as the dummies began to touch her. Upon reaching her each dummy that touched her dropped lifeless as her defensive charge protected her.

Sophia blinked her golden eyes open and looked up at Professor King. "Is it really that simple?" It was a bit hard for her to believe that she had been working so hard for so long, and that magic was really much more simple than she had been led to believe.

"Well you're not going to kill whoever touches you, they'll just be forced to let you go most likely." Professor King said, "Other than that yes, very simple but not excruciatingly powerful either."

"No, not very powerful. But still useful. Thank you Professor." Sophia smiled softly for a few moments. "Is that all for today Professor?" She did not want to be done for the day, but she suspected the Professor might be.

Professor King smiled lightly and looked around the room, outside the windows at the afternoon sun and then at his timepiece. "I had been trying to think of something else you would be able to learn today." He informed her; "Of course I don't know what you're up against so I am terribly afraid of making you ill prepared." he continued to muse. Professor King didn't want to try to teach Sophia something too advanced for her and nothing that the book would touch on or that other Professors were better suited to tell her about. All these factors along with the possibility of her killing herself with the defensive charm placed many restrictions on their lesson. As he pondered all of this his left pinkie became translucent, then, moments later it was completely invisible, possibly not there at all.

Professor King of course didn't notice this he was deep in thought and contrary to what some may believe his pinkie was not his utmost concern. "I think if you're comfortable enough with it we could work with your blood ability." he finally concluded, figuring Sophia would not get any assistance from her father in this area.

Sophia had been watching the Professor as he mused over what to do. She thought she saw his left pinkie disappear, and her golden eyes widened in shock. No, that cannot be, Sophia thought, and shook her head slightly. Lack of sleep must be making me see things.

Her face lit up slightly at the thought of working on her power. "Yes, I would much enjoy working with my ability. I did some research, and I believe it is called pyrokinesis."

"Very well then, do you desire I call it that instead? I figured the general term would fit well enough." he asked as he swished his wand and a few dummies stood up again, "How typically does your gift take effect?" he then inquired with a smile, wondering if Sophia understood herself or her abilities at all. He took a seat as Sophia prpared to explain herself and rested his arms on the table. As he did this and waited for Sophia to answer his ring finger vanished in the same fashion his pinky of the same hand recently had. This too he had not noticed as he was paying too much attention to Sophia and how she was handling herself.

"I suppose it is not really important. Although I do like the feeling that I am not alone." Sophia consider the power for a moment and was about to respond when she saw Professor King's ring finger disappear. I know my mind is not that off.

"Professor," she began in a worried tone. "You may want to look at your left hand."

"Why? It's perfectly okay..." Professor King trailed off as he looked at his left hand. He lifted it curiously in front of his face then he made an attempt to grab his pinkie with his right hand. "Oh dear" he finally said when he couldn't feel it, "Well this isn't good, can't heal this one myself." he mused to himself, why he was taking it so light heartedly he had no idea. "Well, as this is actually a contagious illness I would suggest you don't come near me and I should probably go to the hospital wing to be treated." Professor King finally concluded, recognizing the symptoms of the vanishing sickness.

"Of course, Vanishing Sickness," Sophia said with an air of realization. "I cannot believe I did not recognize it earlier. I suppose it helps that I have never seen it before. I volunteer in the Hospital Wing Professor, I can get you the potion now if you would like." Sophia looked cautiously at Professor King, trying to remember if they had made contact with each other recently.

"Yes, yes, I suppose that would be best, better start the treatment before it gets too far along." Professor King agreed as his whole left hand faded into oblivion, "Grab your bag, I will follow you out." Professor King instructed.

"Yes, of course," Sophia said, a hint of urgency in her voice. She walked swiftly go her bag and draped it from her right shoulder across her chest as she walked toward the door. When she reached the large wooden door she pushed it opened and walked with haste toward the Hospital Wing.

Professor King nodded as Sophia grabbed her things and left the room a few moments after she had, watching carefully as his forearm slowly became more translucent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back