Leaving the brain back in Ravenclaw

Merlina Caliburn

OOC First Name
Linda
Wand
Eucalyptus Wand 13 1/2" Essence of Mermaid Scale
Merlina had been getting more and more secluded thanks to the amount of assignments she got from her classes, she was rightly fed up and looking paler than normal even with the beautiful sunshine outside. She wandered the corridors looking at all the portraits and landscapes admiring them but also trying to think of something to do. She was bored and the more she wandered about and saw how everyone else was bundled into neat friend packs, she was also a little testy.

The problem with being in a different house to the friends she had made meant she usually only saw them in class and Merlina was a prize stickler for paying attention, refusing to chat, look at or write notes to any one. She hadn't seen Kaede in a while which she was a bit sore about and she hadn't seen Ryuu either. As she made her way through the corridors she realised she had walked all the way up to the 7th floor. Having never been up this way before she decided to give it a good nose before heading down again.

Some of the more outspoken portraits grumbled at her wanting to know why she a Ravenclaw was on the Gryffindor floor for. Merlina looked about, so this was where the Gryffindor house was then. Obviously behind one of the pictures but she didn't know which one. She'd love to bump into Ryuu right now but the chances of that happening were probably very slim, so she walked over to the bannister railing and looked down at all the flights of stairs but more importantly at the long wooden bannister railing. The thought of sliding down it became very appealing all of a sudden, so with out further thought Merlina went to the top step and swung her leg over the railing.

"I'd be careful if I were you, Merlina." A chilling yet gentle voice echoed along the walls, as none other than Ryuu himself emerged from the shadows and approached the Ravenclaw girl from behind. His pasty white fingers traced the sequence of the wall, as his hair covered his face. His usual clothing attire, which consisted of a black trench coat buckled and fastened along the torso and flowed around his legs that were encased in black jeans. He was staring at the floor, when he stopped walking. Ryuu cast a gaze down the stairs, and thought of the event in a disapproving manner. Would she dare?

Ryuu then gazed at Merlina in an emotionless state, his pale blue eyes void of any sort of humanity, almost as if he were not human at all. However, his proof of living was a simple one. Ryuu's blood could spill. He knew this from experience, and it was all apart of the training. Ryuu murmured once more, "I strongly advise you to not go through with it." Ryuu started to descend the stairs, his moves were as mysterious as his character, his being as a whole. He stopped and turned to face the Ravenclaw girl. He placed his hand on the rail as if to block her completely from going down. Ryuu had his head cocked slightly to the right side, his eyes never leaving her for a second.

Merlina felt her grip loosen and she nearly slipped to the side, the wrong side at that. She could very easily have gone right over the railing. Moving herself, so her awkward frame was leaning more to the side with the stairs, Merlina looked up to see who had spoken. Though she would have known the voice of her friend anywhere.
"Ryuu" she attempted a smile but was not in a very smiley mood, Merlina was still a bit shaken from the slip. He told her he wouldn't advise her to go through with it and she knew he was right, she shouldn't and any Ravenclaw worth their salt would opt for common sense instead of this brainless act. But she was tired of conforming to the Ravenclaw stereotype, it wasn't doing her any favours that was for sure.
She wanted to ignore him and simply push off but as she swivelled her head, she saw he had strategically placed his hand in her way.
"Ryuu please move your hand" she was actually upset, not at him but with the whole school in general. She had tried on numerous occasions to settle in but hadn't even made a dent in the place. So for once she wanted to do something that wasn't like her, that was ... more Gryffindor. She wished he wouldn't look at her like that, his cool blue eyes always affected her more than she cared for.
"I won't get hurt".

Ryuu narrowed his eyes when she about fell over the wrong side. That would have ended up badly, there was no mistaking that. Ryuu stood still, not blinking, not smiling. It was just eerie, his demeanor was. Ryuu did not remove his hand. Rather, he stated, "I will not allow you to do such a careless, thoughtless act." His voice was firm, and slightly cold, to match the degree of his stare. What was she doing anyway. Ryuu spoke once more, "You make it sound like it is so easy, like there are no consequences if you go through with this stupid act. In fact," he paused for a moment, "it is very probable that you will indeed get hurt."

Ryuu ascended the stairs smoothly, as though in perfect rhythm, his boots making no noise as if he were simply gliding on air. His white hand stayed on the rail, preventing her from going down. Not unless it would involve harming him, or he stopping her from mid-slide. Ryuu now stood in front of her, his eyes glaring into hers. Ryuu did not speak, but just stare. Once more, it became eerie, and creepy. Finally, he inquired, "What are you trying to prove, Merlina?" Ryuu knew that if it was a good enough reason, he would simply let her be, but not in traveling down the rail. It was careless, and something a simpleminded idiot would do. And he knew for a fact that she was no simpleton.

Merlina felt like a child after being firmly reprimanded. She blushed which did herself no favours. Of all the times she had wanted him to show up so she could chat with him, he had been no where and now when she wanted to do something reckless and stupid, here he was trying to stop her.
"There are always consequences Ryuu, always. I don't want to get splattered down there, I don't" she slowly slid herself off the railing, though she nearly fell down onto the stairs in her attempt. She wasn't graceful by any stretch of the imagination. He was standing right in front of her and she dared to look up at him, chastised as she was she didn't know what excuse or reason she had to give him.
"I guess I'm fed up with always doing what's expected of me" she lowered her head, he would most likely leave her now. Regret being her friend and she certainly couldn't blame him.

Ryuu watched her with his pale eyes as she came through in her right mind. It made him feel a bit relieved, even though she almost fell still. "These consequences were a bit more extreme than the daily ones." Ryuu finally removed his hand from the rail, now that he was sure that she was not about to slide down. Not with this boy here. Ryuu heard this, and his eyes narrowed. With a hand, he reached to lift her chin up. His skin to the touch was naturally cold, and would send someone into shivers if they were sensitive to it. Ryuu spoke silkily, "You must not do what others are expected of you. You must do what you expect from yourself." Ryuu glanced at the railing, and stated, "And this is not it." Ryuu stared at her, wondering if she would take his advise.

Merlina felt the chill run through her as his fingers tilted her chin up to look at him. It was hard not to be affected by him in any sense, he was utterly different to any male she had ever known. He disturbed her and thrilled her at the same time.
"It's a bit difficult when that was how I was raised. Conformity might as well be my middle name. The only thing I've ever expected from myself is to be the best but I know that stems from them as well" she turned her blue eyes up to him as her glasses slid down her nose a bit, "What does it matter to you anyhow? I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than go around rescuing foolish idiotic girls".

Ryuu glanced away, hearing about the being raised part. He knew about that, perhaps too well. And there was no changing the way he was, how he was raised to be. However, Ryuu wanted to see someone else be themselves, rather than himself. Prove that there can be change in this world. Ryuu stated, "Perhaps that was while you were under the authorities of your home. But here, things are different. Never conform, or else you will be just like everyone else, the very people I tend to not see." Ryuu stared at her once more. "You are different. I can see it." Ryuu noticed that he was speaking lowly, but more than he usually did all the same. Ryuu retreated his hand, and did not speak for a moment. Why did it matter to him? "Would you have rather me to never see you? To allow you to possibly be hurt? What kind of person do you think I am?"

Merlina heard every single word and syllable he uttered and she could only stand there in amazed silence. He seemed to be the only one that could command such a reaction from her and she had still to figure out why. Her eyes were riveted to him, she could neither blink or look away.
"No..." it was dragged from her as if someone was trying to bleed her heart dry, "of course I don't want that. You're my... my friend."

What kind of person did she think he was? How could she answer that, she looked away trying to formalise words, thoughts anything that was coherent before looking back at him again.
"I think... I think you're bloody amazing."

She would risk the embarrassment of her honesty later but for now, she seriously didn't care. Ryuu was quite possibly the most astounding person she had ever met in all her eleven years.

Ryuu wondered about her, and grew slightly curious at how quickly she had stopped. Perhaps she was an obedient one? Ryuu had no idea the effects he usually brought on to people, with his attitude, demeanor, everything about him was just off. Ryuu was ignorant of this, but was only aware of his difference among the diverse population. Ryuu smiling extremely slightly, when she said that he was her friend. Though this 'smile' could be just a trickery of the eyes. However, the last statement threw him off guard. He repeated, "Bloody amazing? How is that I wonder..." Ryuu did have extremely fast reflexes, thanks to the training. Was that what she was referring to?

Merlina thought her little heart would petter out and stop beating altogether. Having him stand there asking her why she thought he was amazing was simply too much. She couldn't believe she had even said it out loud but she had been afraid he would walk away from her, that she might never see him again except for class. Opening her mouth to say something Merlina stopped, her face blushed crimson and her mouth quickly closed. She couldn't, she simply couldn't tell him.
She turned instead to move down the stairs away from him.
"I'd rather not be laughed at".

Ryuu gave her an odd stare. Was it not a simple question? "You have been isolated in so long, you don't understand." a voice told him in his mind. His subconscious mind was what told him warnings, and information when he needed it most. Ryuu flipped his hair back, and was a little shocked when she started to walk away from him. Down the stairs no less. Ryuu debated on catching her, and demanding to know what he did wrong, but that would involve showing her another one of his required skills. Ryuu released a sign, turned, and glided down the stairs swiftly. Ryuu was a fast person, naturally, and now, he stood a few steps from her, facing her almost as if he were blocking her way. "As a friend, I would never laugh at you. I failed to see that whatever reasons you think of me, it is too personal to reveal. I respect my boundaries." Ryuu stared at her with his pale blue eyes, revealing the truth in his words.

Merlina didn't get very far as Ryuu managed to deftly stand infront of her once more. It was almost as if he glided like a ghost. She turned to look behind her and then to him now standing infront of her. She hadn't even heard him move. Pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose she listened to him telling her he would never laugh at her. She felt stupid now for her behaviour but didn't look down this time. She couldn't, her eyes were fixed to his unable to tear them away from the cerulean blue orbs.
"I'm sorry Ryuu, I guess maybe I'm just a little testy today. I shouldn't be taking it out on you or the bannister or anything else for that matter" she was grateful she didn't have to explain why she thought he was amazing, she didn't think she could do her reasoning any justice really.
"What do you do when you need to let off steam? Or do you ever get rattled at all?" he always seemed so self assured and so calm about everything. Merlina wondered how the two could be friends when they seemed polar opposites.

Ryuu was amused, but his liquid cerulean eyes or stiff posture did not show it. He had to admit, showing off his acquired skills. This was the first person to have seen him use these skills, something that was needed to be a trained samurai. After childhood of isolation and performing these tasks, no one was amazed or flabbergasted. No, because his siblings could do the very same things he did. Ryuu approached her, getting closer with the smoothest moves a twelve-year-old could accomplish. "I apologize for what ever is bothering you." It was simple, yet meaningful. Ryuu glanced at the ground, before turning his gaze back to Merlina, "I never get angry. I redirect the emotions." It was something he did naturally. He never reacted on emotions, but merely the logical thoughts of his subconscious.

Merlina saw him mover closer and automatically attempted to take a step backwards, but forgot she was now on the stairs. Her foot merely bumped against the step and her body tilted as if she would sit down accidentally. She reached out for the bannister railing and steadied herself. She blushed once again, this was so unfair. Usually Merlina prided herself on her steadiness of character, her maturity and above all else her lack of silly girlishness that others used cunningly to members of the opposite sex. Yet here she was behaving as if she were not in possession of a brain at all and it only happened when she was around Ryuu. She could not explain it and didn't think she wanted to analyse it either.
She heard him and marvelled once again.
"You'll have to teach me how to do that then, the Italian in me likes to argue and I seem to anger pretty quickly. How do you redirect it?"
Perhaps if she knew this then she could also redirect the feelings that over took her whenever he was near.

Ryuu wondered something, and he folded his arms across his chest. He stopped moving, and stood still, like a ghostly white statue. He saw her blush, and cocked his head slightly to the side. Ryuu was amused, but then again, he was confused too. Why was she blushing? Ryuu did not take his eyes off her however. Ryuu assumed it was because of him. His presence must be affecting her in ways that he did not understand. Ryuu did not understand a lot of stuff. And this was one of them. Ryuu responded, “I cannot teach you such art. Only a master can, and I am not one. I’ve learned to redirect emotions for five years.” Ryuu did not know whether he could teach her. It took forever for him to learn it.

Merlina was grateful when he stopped moving closer, she kept her hand on the railing though as if she felt it absolutely necessary. Almost as if she let it go, her legs would go from underneath her. She could possibly pass it off on someone casting a jelly legs jinx on her but didn't think for a moment that he would believe her. She watched as he tilted his head to the side and absentmindedly did the exact same thing.
"Five years of redirecting emotions? Wow. So where do you redirect them to? I mean it's not like you take anger and send it to China now is it?" that probably sounded ridiculous but she was so curious about him and everything about him and very few people ever excited her intellect.
"Or is it more that you've redirected it inside of you to some other place... because if that is the case then you're probably ready to explode at any given time. Five years of pent up emotions, I don't think I'd cope at all".

Ryuu did not understand her question at first, but then again, would she understand the type of training he had to do in order to become a full fledged samurai like his father, and all the fathers before his time? Ryuu was not entirely sure, and later on, he knew that he would even doubt the vigorous training. Ryuu stated, "It's rather hard to explain. With the training I do, the emotions help with the flow of it." Ryuu wondered if he were bottling these said emotions, but then again, he did not feel them. He felt as he normally did. "No, they are not inside me." Ryuu did not know how else to explain how he did this. Not until he was more comfortable around people, would he ever be able to explain himself.

Merlina wanted desperately to believe him but she was Italian, a race of people led by their emotions 99% of the time. She knew she wasn't good looking, knew she was not in the slightest bit interesting but still she felt the need to try something. If he after all had this effect on her, would she perhaps have some effect on him. Merlina removed her glasses, she never did if it could be helped but this time she felt the need. She slipped them into the pocket of her skirt and looked directly at the pale beautiful blue eyed boy before her. She wore her glasses as she wore her sweater, it was more habit now than anything. Sure she was short sighted but she really only needed them for the blackboard and anything far away. There was nothing about Ryuu that was far away at all. She this time took a tentative step downwards towards him leaving go of the handrail and standing on the step directly above his.
"There are no feelings at all inside you?" her voice was low and unbeknownst to herself it sounded husky and had an almost lulling tone to it.

Ryuu simply stood, utterly confused as she moved closer to him. What was she planning on doing? Ryuu released his arms from their hold across his chest, and let them hang loosely by his sides. He stood directly at her, and revealed no emotion whatsoever. Ryuu noticed that she took off her glasses, and glanced down at her sweater before looking back to her eyes. He also heard the sound of voice, something he had never heard before, thus, did not know how to react to it. Ryuu had half a mind to take a step back, however, as a warror in training, one must never step down. Ryuu responded, "None." It was a simple, yet truthful statement. He was oddly amused by this all, but had not an idea of what was about to happen.

Merlina bit her lip, a silly Fiorelli trait that she had picked up from her mother. She wanted to test his theory of not feeling anything but how far was she willing to go. She had never been this close to anyone let alone a boy. They were barely a few inches apart and even though she was on the step above him, he still managed to be on level with her. She cursed her lack of height and lack of boy skills at this particular time but something in her would not let her back down. She also cursed the red blooded Italian in her that she knew was responsible for her next move. Merlina was risking everything on this, their friendship which meant so much to her but she wanted to know how much he could suppress. How much emotionally he could redirect and if he had never ever been this close to a girl would doing so now, change everything that he had been trained in.

Very slowly she tilted her head, Merlina had never been kissed and had most certainly never instigated one before and yet everything about Ryuu told her if ever she was going to kiss a boy it was him and only him. She kept eye contact until she was a breath away from him and then her eyelids closed as her lips touched his. Hers were soft and very gentle, inexperienced and like herself at that very moment fragile. It was barely a moment before she moved back again and opened her eyes but she knew that whatever about Ryuu, she was utterly changed forever.

Ryuu had never been this close to anyone, not even his siblings. Yet, there he stood, like a statue. He quickly cleared his thoughts, and his pale blue eyes were locked, unblinking. He was literally a statue. The only part of him that was moving was his slow and even breathing that was cool as ice. Ryuu was still. Not even Rei dared to come this close, and they were extremely close. The only one to really make physical contact. Hugs and kisses upon cheeks. All done by Rei. And now, there was another girl that would overstep the boundaries of his sister. Then the strangest thing happened. Merlina put her mouth on his. Ryuu narrowed his eyes, and had no idea how to react. Ryuu stood there, and muttered, "Why did you do such a strange action?" Ryuu still expressed nothing. He never kissed a girl, and had never given it a thought.

Merlina was never more embarrassed in all her life. She wanted nothing more than the ground to open up and swallow her whole. Surely there was a spell somewhere for this eventuality? He had not responded, had felt nothing. Merlina knew deep down that it was because she was awful to look at. She did not appeal to the male species at all. What a complete and utter loon he must think her but her pride made her stand strong and straight as an arrow. Her cheeks remained flushed and her eyes were moistened from the tears she fought at the blatant rejection.
"I wanted... I wanted to see where your emotions were" it was partly true so she knew it would come out fairly believable. The fact that members of her family could not lie made her acutely aware of how she should answer his question and yet her rejected eleven year old self wounded to the quick wanted nothing more than to get away. She stepped to the side to bypass him.
"It's alright I won't be repeating the action again, you don't have to worry about that" humiliation was riddled all over her face and she wished now more than ever that she had his gift for redirecting emotion.

Ryuu blinked his pale eyes a few times, and shook his head. She blamed herself, for his actions? She did not understand. She did not know. She had tears in her eyes, and he recognized them from his sister when she was just a toddler. Ryuu put his hand onto the banister, and sighed. Ryuu listened to the poor, saddened Ravenclaw girl. Ryuu had never liked a girl in that way, never given it a single thought. And wasn't about to for a long time. Ryuu spoke, his voice as low as a whisper, "I must apologize. You are the first person I have socialized with. Apart from family. I was raised different." Ryuu paused, trying to find the right words in english. "I never...I have never thought of things like that." Ryuu flicked his jet black hair back and out of his ghostly white face.

Merlina stopped on the step beside him and looked sideways at him as he spoke to her. He had never thought of things like that... he had never socialised beyond family members. She was the exact same, though she had read books galore on every emotion that the human psyche had to offer. Merlina looked straight ahead of her, she had a few choices here and she knew it. She could be the stupid pouting female who gets all up in herself because she was rejected; she could be the heartbroken 11yr old who had just for the first time in her entire existence bared her soul to the one person she had come to feel anything for outside her family; she could risk losing possibly her closest friend here by either of those actions which was something she knew she would never risk. The mistake had been hers and though the second had been her to a tee she would simply lock it away to view at a later date. Analyse it and chastise herself for the fool she so obviously was. Perhaps she had known a way all along to redirect her emotions.

"I never thought of things like that either Ryuu, don't worry I won't be again" she attempted a smile removing her thick rimmed glasses from her pocket and slipped them back on. It was as if they were a mask, covering her almost protecting what was beneath behind the geeky veneer she portrayed day in day out.
"Are we still friends?" she waited for his reply, not daring to look at him. Knowing she wouldn't be able to bear a negative response but also knowing that she would pretend otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back