Learning Experience for Students

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis Tuuri

I didn't know where exactly to post this question/suggestion, so I thought I may as well open it up here to get more than one opinion.

Say, for example, a character wanted to become an Healer when they were older. Students wanting to be an animagus get lessons from the Transfiguration Professor, yes? Could a student not request to do the same in another field?
Eg. Student wanting to be a Healer - helping/learning from a school nurse
Student wanting to be a Potions Master - helping/learning from the Potions Professor.

I'm thinking something apprenticeship style.

My questions are;
A) Do you think any of your characters would want to try this out for themselves?
:cool: Would any Professors agree to rp with one or two students to help them in this learning experience, just for fun? Maybe have a few rp's with them?
C) Could something like this be considered a genuine qualification boost for certain jobs?
Eg: Newt marks for History of Magic - such and such. Apprenticed to Professor Jonathan Spenser for [insert IC 'years' here]

What do you think?

I don't have a lot of experience here at HNZ but it seems like a good idea to me. It would be like an internship. A lot of students seem to acquire work experience by having a part-time job as assistants in the shops, why not have the same kind of work experience inside the castle.

Its a great idea and I know that Professor Merrythought does it with students she hand picks. I guess that it just depends on what the Professor in RL wants to do if they have enough time and such and if there would be enough people interested in doing it.

Hi KR :hug:

A) Do you think any of your characters would want to try this out for themselves?
I'd imagine a few peoples characters might be quite interested in this. I know that my own character Andromeda has been wanting to be a healer now for quite some time. I rp that she does work experience at Mungo's and at the school since her fifth year and on vacation times, so that it all goes to help towards her future career.
:cool: Would any Professors agree to rp with one or two students to help them in this learning experience, just for fun? Maybe have a few rp's with them?
I'm sure they would but if every student asks to be an apprentice it becomes very hard to decide on which one. Professors are busy as it is with classes, grading, lessons etc as well as their other characters but it would be down to the individual professor here.
C) Could something like this be considered a genuine qualification boost for certain jobs?
Eg: Newt marks for History of Magic - such and such. Apprenticed to Professor Jonathan Spenser for [insert IC 'years' here] I think it would look good on a characters reference/ transcript for future employment that they have shown obvious interest etc. and might help get the person the 'job' over a person who had the same grade but no experience perhaps.

It is a good idea though I found myself that simply pming the professor involved first or staff member from business to clear it helps, they don't necessarily have to rp with you but you can then at least say in other rp's that you are working as an apprentice. Is any of that clear? o_O

Oh yes, it's all quite clear. I have two characters who would definitely be interested in doing this, but I wanted to get some feedback to see if it was a plausible idea and perhaps may be able to directly benefit our characters.
That why I thought it best to ask whether or not enough people were interested in order to make it a genuine qualification for a student.

What I thought was that a Professor might personally accept or politely decline the 'apprenticeship' and perhaps roleplay with that person once (or twice) for the purposes of entertainment and confirmation of the apprenticeship, you see? (If they wanted to. If not, it could be like a 'let's not and say we did' sort of thing).
Not all Professors will be interested of course, but for those who are and including the students, I just thought it would be cool if we could literally gain qualifications while in school.

I hope that that makes sense, too. o_O ^_^

The apprentice system for Professors is already in place and up to individual professor's discretion as to requirements.
It's also fairly strict in that the first two IC 'years' of apprenticeship can only do certain things.
It also must be initiated by the students.
It wouldn't occur on a mass-basis, and is likely best if only a few professors have apprentices.
The example with Transfiguration is an extreme - and that's more akin to extra lessons than to being an apprentice of sorts.
Making it any more of a formal system (bonus job qualifications, working with a nurse, etc.) is too much work on my/our end and won't happen.

I didn't read all your questions, as I don't think this is the place to 'survey the site', or so to speak. Just ask questions about HNZ/how it operates/etc. that you can't find answers to elsewhere - so I hope I've covered it.

I personally thought it sounded like quite a good idea.
If this is not the place to be asking such things then I'll ask it on behalf of Artemis in the suggestions thread.

Topic Closed and Archived

Your question/issue has either been resolved or is unanswerable.
If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to open another topic in the FAQ forum, we're always pleased to answer your questions.

Thank you,

~The HNZ Site Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back