Late Apology contd.,

Brandon Coffield

Wand
Hplly/Ebony Wand 12 1/2" essence of griffin feather
Brandon was relieved when she finally took his hand, hers felt so very cool almost frigidly cold. Yet she had kept her hands so tightly wrapped around herself he had expected her hand to be warmer. She certainly was an engima. He allowed her to lead them out of the common room into the sanctuary of the dungeon. He didn't release his hand from hers as she seemed content to leave hers where it was. Brandon wasn't always confused by girls, he had had the slightest crush on the strange red haired Gryffindor girl since the year before but she had disappeared for nearly half the year only to reappear and seemingly disappear again this year. This was all very confusing for him and he hadn't known who to talk to about any of it, he certainly couldn't go up to her friends to enquire about her and so had kept pretty much to himself as he always had but here he was now, holding Abbey's hand and for some mad astonishing moment it felt natural. Part of him was just overwhelmingly glad she didn't seem to be afraid of him anymore.

When they were outside the portrait guarding Slytherin house he stopped and tugged on her hand slightly.
"I need to apologise to you. I didn't mean for you to be afraid of me, I certainly didn't mean to come across as an ogre that first day back" he scratched his head a little before looking at her sheepishly, "I'm sorry".

Abbey stopped walking as Brandon did and spun around still holding his hand gently and said quietly, "You don't need to apologize to me." She paused in thought for a moment then smiled, "I shouldn't have let any of my other fears pass onto you, it's not your fault at all really." She flashed him a friendly smile and whispered, "I'm sorry." She looked into the boys blue eyes and ran her free hand through her brown hair and sighed gently.

Brandon smiled in return and though he was beginning to feel slightly awkward holding her hand he allowed her the free reign there. It wasn't everyday that a good looking girl wanted to hold his hand for goodness sake.
"Lets start from scratch then" this time he did let his hand free of hers only to hold out his other hand for her to shake, "Hi, I'm Brandon. Brandon Coffield. Second Slytherin thirteen years old and awfully glad to make your acquaintence".
He was making light of the situation now, the smile he gave her touching his cool blue eyes.

Abbey smiled with relief when Brandon let go of her hand, he was nice and all but she liked Theo. She hoped that he wouldn't read into it all that much. She shook his hand as she said, "I'm Abigail Lurken, Second Year Slytherin and.. umm twelve years old." Abbey blushed at the fact that she had to think about how old she was, birthdays didn't matter to her because she really had more important things to think and worry about. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well," Abbey added with a gentle smile.

"Well Abbey besides my room mates your about the closest thing I have to a friend here" he smiled quickly stuffing his hands into his pants pockets as soon as he could. Abigail, the name was cool actually. He wondered if the orphanage had named her or had they been informed of her real name when she had been sent to them. He was so curious about the whole thing, he was virtually dying to ask her some questions but knew that that would just be the rudest thing possible. Especially now when they were getting past the animosity.

Abbey nodded her head and said, "Okay, well I know your curious about something feel free to ask Brandon." She smiled warmly at the boy to let him know that she was fine to ask questions, but that she was only going to answer ones that she felt wouldn't be related to her abuse. She sighed gently as she waited for his long line of questions that she was certain would have to do about her orphanage.

Brandon laughed was he that transparent? He decided though to choose his questions carefully, the first he figured might throw her a bit.
"So your eyes pretty unusual colour, I'm mean they're really pretty as well of course but which side of your family do you get them from?" it was then he wanted nothing more than to kick himself, hadn't she just told him that her parents were murdered. It wasn't likely then that she would want to tell him anything about her gene pool but she had said anything and her eyes were so, for lack of a better word great.

Abbey rolled her eyes at his question and mumbled, "Predictable." She flashed him a warm smile and said, "My Mom's side, all the Hurley girls have violet eyes." She smiled proudly at this then said, "My sister has them as well." She flashed him a dazzling smile as she waited for his next question then began walking further into the Dungeons expecting him to follow her, but she hoped that he would stay close, they were after all in the worst section of the castle and she was still scared.

Brandon laughed and followed her further through the dungeon, he lengthened his stride so that within seconds he was right beside her again. He nudged her playfully and smiled.
"Predicatable huh?" I'm actually enjoying myself for a change, why haven't I put myself out there to talk with her before?
"Hurley that's not an English name though, that's like more Irish isn't it? I've got some family on my fathers side from Sligo" he said as way of explanation, "Ok something not quite so predictable then?" He thought about it and grimaced he didn't know if he should even ask her but curiousty in a teenage boy was nearly explosive.
"You said earlier that your parents were murdered" his tone was grave now, he wanted her to know that he would treat this with the gravity it deserved and hopefully with tact.
"You... you weren't there were you? I mean, you didn't witness it did you?" he was afraid that this was the reason she was so terrified, so scared of just about everything though every now and then, there seemed to be flashes of a girl with light and spirit. The girl he reckoned she would be if tragedy had struck so hard.

Abbey nodded her head in understanding to Brandon's first words then she raised her eye brows at his question, truth be told she didn't know the answer, she could only guess that she wasn't, after all she and Asher would have been sent to the same orphanage. She blinked her eyes as she said, "I.. I don't know." She pursed her lips as she thought about what to say to explain it, she sighed when she finally decided then said, "My parents were murdered when I was a little over 3 months old, my sister was... 3." She let out an exasperated sigh, was it pathetic that she didn't know her sisters age? They had only met last year though, and they hadn't seen each other since Christmas, and even then Asher had been with her boyfriend at the time, Noah. She stepped daintily to the side so they were close to each other, but not touching, that would have been awkward and weird, not to mention the fact that she did not want to give him any ideas. He seemed like the kind of boy that would try hard at that sort of stuff.

Brandon had felt sorry for her earlier now he felt as if all he wanted to do was protect her, even if it was from herself.
"I'm sorry Abbey, I shouldn't have asked something so personal" he felt horrid, felt so terrible for upsetting her and he knew he had.
"Just tell me to shut up, I shouldn't be asking you stuff that's so blasted personal especially when we're only becoming friends" Brandon glanced at the ground he walked across, one foot infront of the other. He almost willed himself to move, he hated being in this situation. He should have had more tact, should have but obviously didn't.
"I don't have many friends Abbey, actually I don't have friends per se. I've always been busy just being by myself, so I don't want to mess up what could otherwise be a perfectly good friendship. So for the sake of that, I won't ask you anything else until you're ready to actually tell me for yourself."

Abbey smiled at Brandon and put her hand softly on his shoulder reassuringly and said, "It's fine, it's been twelve years, I've handled with it." She put her hand back to her side and flashed Brandon a warm smile when he said that he wouldn't ask her any more questions of the sort, honestly she didn't ever plan on telling him or anyone else that didn't know, about her abuse but anything else was free game, she didn't care, it wasn't anything new to her, she just didn't like the pity or guilt she saw in other people when she told them. Sure she didn't like aurors because of her parents death and her sister's seperation but really that was to be expected.

Brandon smiled when she told him it was fine, still he couldn't help the overwhelming feeling that it wasn't. He would have liked to put his arm in a friendly way about her shoulders to reassure her but he didn't feel their friendship was quite there yet so instead he kept his hands firmly rammed into his pockets.
"Is it just you? Do you have any brothers or sisters I mean".

Abbey bit her lip thoughtfully at Brandon's words then said, "I can only assume that it's just my sister and I but I haven't seen Asher since.. last Christmas so I wrote her to let her know that I don't want anything to do with her anymore." She shrugged her shoulders as if her words were something normal, something usual. She added onto that with, "I met her in my first year, it was interesting to say the least, it's how I know Noah, they dated last year." She smiled but her smile turned into a frown and she sighed gently as she recalled her memories from last year, there weren't many but the ones she did have were good ones.

Brandon didn't know what to do with the information she had just given him. He looked at her wearily before continuing on into the darkened dungeon, lifting his wand from his robes he cast the lumos charm to light their way.
"Why don't you talk with her anymore? If you don't want to tell me that's fine of course. But maybe she's been going through stuff too and doesn't know how to deal with them. Pretty much as scared as yourself maybe" he didn't know of course but thought that if he had a sibling, he'd want to keep them close even if it was only by mail.

Abbey sighed gently and said, "I wrote her everyday through the summer but I got no response, and I was, I am, in a pretty bad place in my life, I needed her more then I've ever needed anyone and she's all but fallen off the face of the Earth, no one knows where she is, and I've just given up pretending that I'll see her again." She shrugged her shoulders and said, "It's really complicated, I've lived with out her for most of my life, I figure I can do with out her again." She flashed Brandon an awkward smile and said, "I'm um sorry, I really shouldn't have shared that with you." She pressed her lips and eye brows together anxiously as she waited for his response, it probably wouldn't be a very good one, in the sense that it would be judgmental, she hated that as most of her life was pretty bad and people judged her for it.

Brandon didn't mind what she said to him or how she said it, this was after all her story, her life. He was being honored with being told it at all.
"What if she's out there and really needs you but can't get in touch for some reason. Sorry that sounds awful. I didn't mean to suggest that something terrible might have happened to her but it... I mean... your parents were murdered, who's to say the same people didn't come looking for their children for whatever reason" Brandon truly wished his big mouth would just shut up before he terrified her all over again.

Abbey looked at Brandon and gave him a warning sneer, this wasn't a subject she was going to move her opinion on. She sighed gently, "They were murdered because Aurors were given consent to kill them, I really doubt that after all this time they would begin looking for Asher, I've made up my mind anyways, I experienced too much this summer to be forgiving." She looked away from Brandon and pressed her eye brows together and asked, though it really was more of a statement then anything, "Maybe I should just go?"

Brandon reached out a hand and gently touched her elbow.
"Maybe I should just shut up and maybe you should start telling me to mind my own business" he smiled at her, he hadn't meant to offend her at all. Something she said had stuck though, why would Aurors murder her parents. Only the ministry would be able to give that kind of order. Who exactly were her parents? Had they been Death Eaters or something? Brandon wanted to let it rest now, there were too many holes here and he wasn't sure if he wanted her to fill them in for him. She was too young to know who her parents were anyhow, at 3mnths old it wasn't likely that she would be able to know anything about them. And he certainly wasn't going to hold the daughter accountable for the parents, he had no right to.
"Favourite music" he asked putting his hand back into his pocket but remaining at her side.

Abbey turned her head towards Brandon reluctantly when she felt him touch her, she shuddered instinctively but nodded and smiled at him. She pursed her lips at his question and said, "I don't know, what about you?" She flashed the boy a pretty smile as she waited for his answer, but before he could give it she mumbled, "Sorry."

Brandon stopped dead in his tracks and turned to look at her.
"Abbey you apologise to me once more for no good reason and I will be forced to jinx your knees backwards or something. Do you understand me?" he didn't sound in the least bit threatening but he didn't want her to keep saying sorry to him either.
"If we are going to be friends we should agree on one thing ok, no more sorry's. No matter what we end up saying or doing to the other, sorry is out" he looked at her waiting.

Abbey looked at Brandon with worry in her expression as she heard his words come out, but smiled when she recognized that his tone was non threatening then said, "Fine, but if I do something to hurt your feelings I'm just going to feel awful." She flashed him a playful smile when she warned him, then put her arm around his shoulder as a sisterly action then ruffled his hair playfully, her eyes dancing warmly at him. She then put her arm back at her side and continued walking along the dungeons, but being quite slow so Brandon could stay at her side with ease.

Brandon laughed and shaking his head he turned to her, glad that their comraderie was back on an even keel.
"Good I don't mind you feeling awful just don't apologise for it" he walked alongside her pretending to fix the short hair that she had playfully ruffled.
"But touch the hair again and you'll have to apologise that's the only exception to this" he nudged her again, glad that this new budding friendship was really going to have a chance to grow. He certainly would have kicked himself if he had jeopardised it so early on.

Abbey laughed whimsically at Brandon's small joke, but winced as he nudged her, he had hit a rib that wasn't fully healed, it had been broken and Abbey being her normal stubborn self she did not go to a Hospital of any kind, muggle or wizarding. She put her hand around her stomach protectively and bared a smile through the pain, and said, "I'll try not to.. don't worry." She smirked to herself, then put her hands back down at her side when the gut wrenching pain had disappeared, for now.

Brandon noticed the quick gesture of grabbing her ribcage where he had nudged her, the fleeting look of pain that crossed her face didn't escape him either.
"Crap did I hurt you? I'd say sorry but I'm not allowed, you can nudge me back if you want" he stood still raising his arms up in the arm pointing at his rib cage that was free for her to punch if she so wished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back