La Grande!: A Night at the Circus

Robin Lichester-Raven

Ten minutes before the start of Robin's act, his makeup desk thrummed like a struck chord. His hand immediately went towards a velvet red bag, within which was kept a silver stone disc that was the source of the vibrations. He ran his thumb over it and grinned, thinking of its black counterpart whose proximity was causing the lodestone to tremble in excitement. He felt like trembling with it, but nerves would not help him perform this evening, not with so many shows under his belt. He was a veteran under the Big Top: tonight, he assisted one act with their high bar, and performed a tissue due act with Elsie, a fellow acrobat.
Alessio was watching tonight, Robin was sure of it. Even if he hadn't planned on staying for the late show, he'd asked the hosts to welcome in anyone remotely matching his description if he came. The thrumming of the lodestone confirmed it. He was here, tonight.
His makeup complete, Robin slipped the disc under the elastic of his costume in a discreet fold, and prepared to do the best show he'd ever done since he was allowed in front of the audience.

The high bar went quickly enough, as that act was wont to do, and after the fire-twirlers Robin stepped into the ring to polite applause, which rose as the performance continued. All of his subconscious focus was centered on Elsie as he lifted her and swung into impossible positions, but his mind with abuzz with thoughts of Alessio watching. Did he get a decent seat? How did Robin's arse look in the tights? What if the lycra was riding up? Don't drop Elsie! Panting softly with exertion, he took his partner's hand and bowed at the conclusion of the act, his eyes bright and searching for a familiar scarf. There it was! His grin was blinding. Later, Elsie asked him if he was well, as he kept fidgeting towards the exit before the final bows commenced.
"What's gotten into you, tonight?"
"I've got a date," replied Robin, wriggling his eyebrows at her. "If I can catch him."
Elsie just gave him a confused look as she swapped her hat over.

Robin literally bounced out of the side door of the big top as the exiting mass of audience members slowed to a trickle. He was still in costume and makeup, but there were many circus artists engaging with people after the show, so he attracted little attention. He darted between people and tumbled into the back of Alessio, the man he'd been wanting to see all night.
"Hey, Minunat!" said Robin, taking advantage of the stumble to wrap his arms around the Italian wizard. "Fancy seeing you here!". He gave him a squeeze about the pleasantly slender waist, then took pity and let him go. He was not at all self-conscious about the skin-hugging material he wore only from the waist down. The bodysuit was held up by barely perceptible straps that were designed to blend in with his natural colour. His hair was flopping into his flame-coloured makeup. "You're looking fetching, as usual, but then you can't possibly not."

</FONT>
<FONT font="georgia">Alessio had never actually been to a circus before in his thirty-two years of life, and he had not been sure why, until now. They were loud, bright, and there were quite a few people and a lot of bedazzling costumes, and make up and people everywhere. Part of him did not like the noise and crowds, finding it to be quite a bit much for him, but the other part of him was filled with curiosity, but he kept mostly to himself. He had the stone he was given, and the same scarf around his neck along with it, but otherwise he was wearing slightly more relaxed attire, as he realised that after this he planned to settle down in a nice coffeehouse he had scouted out along his way, where they had some nice tea to drink, and some very delicious tiramisu that he perhaps liked a little too much. If Robin wished to accompany him, he would very much enjoy that, but for now curiosity drove him here, and it was what made him stay, until he had taken his seat and watched through all the acts before he spotted Robin.

Considering he looked quite different from when Alessio had last seen him, Robin was surprisingly easy to spot. Under all the make up and lights, Alessio could recognise that ever confident smile he had witnessed when they had first met. Whether Robin actually saw him was questionable, and he doubted it, as there was quite a considerable crowd. But he felt he had a decent seat, and watched Robin's performance carefully, suspecting that he was treating this show far more seriously than he should have been. People were cheering and gasping wildly, while Alessio merely observed carefully, finding himself rather impressed by the spectacle. It was a wonderful performance, and he regretted not seeing one of these things earlier in his life, but he had done so now and began to leave his seat as the performance ended, planning to attempt to hunt down Robin in order to speak with him if he had a free moment.

Alessio was pushed slightly forward when someone (later deemed to be Robin) went rushing into him, and he smiled slightly at the rather fond greeting. "Hello Robin," he said, giving him a very brief hug back, and taking a small step away when finally released. It had seemed that Robin had had no time to change, and it was not like Alessio was complaining. Not at all, the exact opposite, actually. However, he felt it was a rather cold night, and while Robin did just come from a performance and would probably have been very hot out there, he was sure that his body temperature would probably be running down now. "Thank you, Robin. Do you want my jacket?" he asked, beginning to unbutton it regardless of the other man's answer. "And do you happen to be free after this? I wish to take you somewhere, if you will allow."

Robin had to quash the urge to giggle like a preteen girl when he accepted Alessio's coat. He bowed his head as if in thanks, but was really trying to catch a whiff of the Italian's scent. Breathing deeply, he gave way and let out a chuckle of delight.
"Thanks, handsome."
Coat wrapped securely around him, Robin paused to remove his wand from the bag that he'd grabbed on his way out, and tapped it gently on his face with a quiet "Tergeo". Face now clean of makeup, he tipped his head back to smile up at Alessio. The other wizard was quite a few inches taller than him.
"I'm definitely free for you, anytime," began Robin, "But I have to ask ..." He paused, his bottom lip sneaking between his teeth. Why was he suddenly so hesitant? He was twenty-nine, for Merlin's sake! Nervousness was a foreign feeling to the usually confident acrobat. The few times in his life when he'd had cause to feel it was during situations he'd never encountered, and he'd always known what to do around potential lovers, until now. Robin pursed his lips and winged it.
"Is this a date?". His heart was suddenly beating faster than it had mid-performance. Something, whatever it was, seemed to be riding on Alessio's answer, and the thought occurred to him that maybe he liked Alessio just a little bit more than a potential fling. Maybe it was a bad idea to spend the evening with him ...
"'Cause if it isn't, I can certainly turn it into one," Robin covered his uncertainty with a cheesy grin, but a slight tremble of his hands betrayed him Damn. Please say yes, please say yes

Alessio readjusted his scarf as Robin pulled on his jacket, feeling mildly pleased with himself. He felt that he looked good in his jacket, and privately hoped that he would remain in it for the rest of the night. However, Alessio was caught slightly off-guard by Robin appearing to be nervous. He had began as confident as he usually was, but now Alessio found himself staring down someone that he would have assumed was regularly shy, until he opened his mouth again and grinned, returning to something far more like how Alessio had originally met him. However, the Italian was not feeling kind, and refused to have this moment of vulnerability on Robin's side be missed. After all, Robin had caught him unawares upon their first meeting, therefore he felt that it was his turn to take advantage of the man. "I'm sure you could, Robin," he replied. "However, I merely came all the way here from my hotel to give you my jacket, and ask you whether you were free." He looked around, and found an over-muscled man talking to a group of people about the performance, he assumed. "So you can introduce me to your strong man, over there."

He held the most serious face he had ever conjured in his life for a full minute, staring him down, before cracking a small smile. "Come Robin, you already have my jacket." In order to appear too animated, as he was sure it would confuse Robin. He extended his arm for him to grab. "If you want it to be a date, so shall it be."
<i></i>

Robin's right eyebrow disappeared beneath his mop of hair and remained for every second that Alessio continued to speak. Why on earth would he have sat through La Grande's entire show just to ask him if he was free, and nothing else? It was the social equivalent of a ding-dong ditch. At first unsure of the intention behind his words, it dawned on Robin that he was being sassed by the Italian, with a face so straight it could be a baptist minister. Astonished, he gaped even as Alessio took pity on him and cracked a smile. Fortunately, he didn't need to change facial expressions in order to express his feelings on being asked out.
Usually so smooth, Robin sputtered out a "Really?". The cheeky vagabond act usually worked better on females, so he'd mostly been amusing himself by hitting on Alessio during their lunch. That he'd been such a good sport about it was pleasing, but it didn't explain the other man's actions forthwith. For surely, thought Robin, He can't seriously be considering a 'relationship' of some kind after the stunts I pulled.
That smile, though. It was convincing him of Alessio's sincerity.

"Well," said Robin, his face finally melting back into all smiles. "You really did ask for it, darlin'. Let it be known-!" he announced loudly and suddenly. A few people turned to look. "That this man," He poked Alessio smartly, getting him in the belly-button with perfect accuracy "Has entered into an agreement," He poked him again. "Of mutual provisioning of food and affection, with me." There were a few giggles, some claps from fellow performers, and Robin leaned up and kissed Alessio precisely.
"There. Sealed with a kiss," Leaning slightly upwards on his toes, he drew close enough to mutter in his ear, "And don't you try and cheek me again. I play better than you." Robin pressed his nose to Alessio's briefly and grinned.
"Now. Where are we going?"

Alessio watched carefully as Robin began smiling, and then proceeded to do one of the most embarrassing things that his evil little mind could think of. Alessio stood firm, with a straight, unyielding countenance as Robin decided to announce to any creature with ears and understanding that they would be going out tonight. He was right, of course, as that much was certainly clear, but Alessio would have gone about it in a more discrete fashion. However, while he had only recently just met Robin, it was very clear to him that Robin was anything but discrete. He knew he would have his hands full with this one. He refused the urge to flinch as his bellybutton was attacked, being rather ticklish, and would sooner die than give Robin the satisfaction of knowing just how uncomfortable he was with public displays of anything, most of all affection. He did, however, let Robin have a small victory in way of a smile as he was informed to not 'cheek' him again. He leaned forward slightly as their noses touched, in the form of an affectionate head-butt and released a sigh. "I will take your word," he replied, deciding that he would wait a moment before screwing with Robin again.
***​
Alessio had explained where they were going, on the way, as remaining stagnant in front of all those people (especially after what Robin had done - they even clapped) made him feel uncomfortable. A quiet, secluded café in the late night was much more comforting to him than the hustle and bustle of Robin's world. He gestured to a few places to sit and sat at Robin's choice after ordering tiramisu - which was quite surprisingly good. Apparently, the owner was Italian. It was like a piece of home had followed him to New Zealand, and set up shop, even indulging in some alcoholic tiramisu. All he needed was cobbled roads, and his mother complaining about someone's choice in bride, and he would start feeling right at home. He had ordered for both (after asking Robin what he wanted) and smiled at the waitress as she set his warm tea down. "Thank you." He sniffed it for a moment, breathing it in, before taking a sip, and finally devoting the majority of his attention to Robin.

"The tiramisu should come soon," he stated, creating conversation. He then smiled slightly, taking another sip of his tea before speaking. "You never did introduce us," he said. "I and the strong man. I feel it quite a shame."
<i>
</i>

Robin was quite charmed by Alessio's delicacy with his tea. He had never met anyone quite so poised and collected; it was like spending an evening with royalty. The cafe he'd been taken to was not atypical, but his date looked pleased with the desserts offered and ordered a caramel tart for Robin when he asked. Coming down from the high of performing, Robin felt warm and sleepy bundled up in Alessio's jacket, so he ordered a coffee for himself to try and make himself some kind of stimulating company.
"You know, it's becoming quite typical of you to say just what I don't want to hear," Robin told his date with a pout most becoming of his face. "I'm sure you don't want to be called ungentlemanly," he threatened. "I'm also pretty sure it's not polite to ask after some other squeeze when you're with someone else."
Their relationship was proving to be one based on mutual teasing (at least in this strange beginning). Robin thought of himself as quite immune to the jibes of others, having grown up with so many other bratty children. He'd brushed off Alessio's twin brothers like water off a duck's back, so why was this man the one to get under his skin?

Their desserts arrived promptly, along with Robin's coffee, which he took black and in a mug almost as tall as his forearm. Forgetting his exasperating companion for the moment, he buried his face into the drink with a happy sigh.
"I don't know how you knew it, Alessio," he said without a trace of mocking. "This is just what I needed after tonight. I swear, once I figured out you were out there," he paused, "And yes, I knew," Robin surfaced from his cup and grinned. "I've never had a more nerve-wracking performance. It's that bloody serious face of yours. I kept thinking that you thought I was gonna mess it up."
Coffee now sampled, Robin stabbed his caramel tart with a fork indelicately. "Hm. What would you call this, in Italian?"

Alessio's eyebrow rose slightly at the claim of ungentlemanliness, knowing that technically it was true. If he had actually gone out of his way to be a gentleman in the first place. Besides, it was not as if he were going out of his way to be cheeky. Alessio placed his tea down using his pinkie as a buffer when Robin's caramel tart arrived, and then his tiramisu that, quite frankly, was not going to be finished by him. He felt that it was a little too late to be indulging in a lot of cake, even if it was some of his favourite. He could probably take it home. He smiled slight at Robin as he spoke, citing that this was exactly what he needed. It was exactly what Alessio needed as well. No awkward lunches with his brothers, no-one interrupting him. Just cake and tea (and coffee) at a café at night. Nothing remotely stress-inducing. He picked up his tea to hide his smirk as his companion continued. He shrugged slightly as he replied. "I didn't think you would... fail. It did all seem very exerting however. You seemed rather comfortable out there, actually." Alessio would never have been able to do any of that, not only the fact that he was not trained, but performing in front of an audience was never something he liked, nor excelled at.

The Italian tried to stop himself. He really did. However, as soon as the questioned was posed by Robin, he just automatically responded with what sounded like a serious response, and was coupled with a straight face, but was blatant bullsh!t. "Un display violento con una forchetta?" Acknowledging, even to himself, that Robin was clearly turning him into a sarcastic child and he was not sure he was all that appreciative of it. He readjusted himself in his seat. "Caramello crostata," he added. "Caramel tart, caramello crostata. Ignore first bit."
<i></i>

Robin hummed in assent. He enjoyed showing off his strength and flexibility with a beautiful girl in his arms most nights, but having the brunette watching made it infinitely harder than he'd expected (no pun intended). Every time Alessio looked at him, his heart began to thump noticeably and it threw him off his timing. Stupid sexy wizard, grumped Robin internally.
Robin slowly and purposefully copied Alessio's Italian words, but with a noticeable Romanian lilt. The Italian's smooth trills because sharp and bouncy in his mouth
"Un display violento ... what was that about a fork?" he asked in confusion. He had stabbed his tart quite vigorously, but then, Robin had no table manners at all. I have tart! he reminded himself, scooping up the insides of it and getting caramel on his nose.
Alessio's Italian was uncomfortable to listen to, also. His voice was so rich it could have bought its own island, and being that it was directed towards him, Robin had to squirm a bit in his seat to make himself comfortable again. He didn't blush, per say, but his neck and cheeks went red for quite a different reason, and he scowled into his coffee. Robin finally noticed the caramel on his nose and licked it off with his tongue. Alessio was sure to be mortified by this display, but Robin was a constant show-off and could neither stop like he could cease breathing.
"Caramello crostata," he repeated, comparing it with his mother-tongue. "Caramela tort." He sighed like a maiden receiving a rose. "Gorgeous language. I need to hear more of it."
He could see the bottom of his enormous mug, finally, and the clinking of dishes being returned to the cafe kitchen made him look up. "It's getting late, Minunat. Did you have somewhere else in mind that you wanted to go?" Robin asked Alessio. "I'm ... glad you asked me to have coffee with you. I'd like to do this again, if you're willing." How do you go about asking a guy out? Robin wondered. He'd definitely had some rough-and-tumble nights with bar pickups before, but had never been interested in seeing them again. What if he never saw Alessio again? His eyebrows pressed themselves together. He was feeling rather too exposed and vulnerable. This wasn't him.

Alessio ran his tongue across his teeth as Robin repeated his sarcastic remark, however at least he was not completely ignorant of its meaning. However, the Italian decided that he would not translate the sentence for him, silently hoping that the entire thing would just drop from the man's memory and never be spoken of again. He cut a piece of tiramisu with his fork, and while he was by no means trying to point out proper table manners through action, he did notice that he ate considerably neater than his companion. Especially that bit of caramel on the acrobat's nose. Dear Merlin, it was difficult to refrain from grabbing a cloth or something and wiping it away as if Robin were three. He was not sure Robin would appreciate it all that much at all.

He relaxed slightly as the caramel was removed, having just moments earlier decided that if it remained much longer, he was going to remove it rearguard less of arobin's feelings on the matter. He tried to ignore the way in which the caramel was removed, however, and ate more of his tiramisu. His pronunciation was peculiar to listen to, but he was sure it would be no different to a native New Zealander hearing his own accent around the English language. Seeing as Robin travelled frequently, he had no idea why he did not just try and stay in Italy more often, seeing as he seemed quite taken with the language. He sat on his thoughts for a moment as Robin continued to speak, and finally put his empty tea cup down and pushed his partially eaten tiramisu to the centre of the table, indicating that he had had enough of it.

Alessio located a clock and agreed, it was becoming rather late, though he was not feeling the embrace of exhaustion just yet. He was relaxed, but not tired. His face softened as he looked at Robin, before he shifted in his seat to sit on the edge of the chair, not meaning to be as abrupt as he was, but his English had been steadily slipping the entire night as it so often did. "I would enjoy that, Robin. For you love the language, come to Italy?"
<i></i>

Robin definitely noticed Alessio's fingers itching to remove the caramel smear on his nose, which was precisely why he left it for longer than he needed to. The Italian wizard was so good at getting under his skin that he felt justified in getting back at him with every petty torment he could inflict. They both seemed to enjoy each other's games, fortunately, but sometimes Robin liked to prove that he did play better than him.
The coffee that had come in an industrial-sized cup was filling Robin with a warm haze. Caffeine had never affected him as much as it did everyone else, so he was feeling rather sleepy and sated instead of energized. Why do I always forget that it does this? lamented Robin inwardly, but he wasn't really displeased with the outcome. He could have gone for a good snuggle right about then.

"Mm? Italy? Okay, let's go, then." Robin smiled and pretended to get up. He was too comfortable to really put effort into entertaining Alessio's fancy. There was a long moment of silence, then the acrobat woke up a little when he realised that nothing was being said. He stared at his date, trying to work out what had caused the sudden awkwardness. He had a sneaking suspicion, but Alessio didn't seem at all the type to make wild, snap decisions. Surely not ...
"Wait, are you serious?" Robin exclaimed suddenly, shooting upright. "Now? Tonight? You want to go to Italy. With me." He stared for a bit longer. "Look, gorgeous, honeypuff ... I'm going to call your bluff if you're messing with me," he told Alessio seriously. If the Italian was pulling his string, he was not at all amused.

Alessio nodded slowly as Robin began to speak, though he was not entirely sure if he was taking him seriously or not. It did not feel like he was being taken seriously, even though he did not invite people to his home without intention of actually taking them. He sat through the silence, his nod now coming to a stop when he realised that, yes, Robin was not taking his invitation seriously. He jumped slightly at Robin's sudden movement. He smiled slightly, but it soon began to grow as Robin began to realise that he had just been invited to Italy, but by the way he was reacting, it was like it was a completely ludicrous idea. Italy was Alessio's home, New Zealand was the foreign land to him, naturally he would go back to Italy several times, even though he was supposedly on holiday. "I would prefer to go tonight, yes. Right now." He could take being called gorgeous, but he was not even sure if he heard Robin right when he said honeypuff. Was he perhaps misinterpreting the word? Because it seemed to make absolutely no sense to him. He shook his head slowly, and chose his words carefully. "This is no bluff, Robin. You are perfectly welcome to accompany me to Italy. It is not that far, really. We simply go to my hotel, and go from there." He stood up now, feeling that, even though he had not given Robin much time to give a response, the decision had already been made. "My keys are in the left inner pocket of my jacket. The hotel is fifteen minutes from here. It is lunch time in Italy, and I am not tired. Shall we leave?" He held out his hand for Robin to grab, hoping that this would coax him along. "Or, unless you would rather stay here, and feed the horses, was it?" He grinned, and wiggled his fingers.
<i></i>

Seeing a proper grin on Alessio's face for the first time finally convinced Robin that he was being serious. He could only shake his head in amazement and take his date's hand to stand up. How was he going to explain this to the troupe? Fortunately, there was more than one acrobat trained on tissue, and they often circulated different acts during show season, so he would only be in a little bit of trouble if he left right now. Well, if Baba caught him then he would be in a whole lot of a trouble, but she was worlds away and so was Robin when he felt Alessio's hand in his.
Robin laughed for a moment. "Look, I think you're crazy, but you're no crazier than I am; and I am feeling mad enough to follow you. Let's hit it."

Getting there was uneventful enough, except when Robin almost fell asleep before he stepped into the Floo. There was also the moment when he gave back Alessio's coat on arrival, and forgot he was still wearing his costume. Somewhere out there, there were tourists with quick fingers who had photos of Alessio's face and Robin's perfectly outlined bum in spandex. Despite what most people would assume, they did not immediately make long, passionate love. Perhaps they would have if Robin had stayed awake for more than two hours after they booked into their hotel. Italy waited for them, though, and would do so until the princess had had his beauty sleep.

END

Users who are viewing this thread

Back