Josh's California Apartment

Joshua Hanson

Josh had just gotten home from visiting Tristan in Wisconsin. He knew that the kids were due to arrive any time now via the floo network from the school. He quickly walked around the place, waving his wand and making sure that the place was acceptable for them to be there, and decorated for the holiday season. The small tree was lit, and had a few ornaments under it, along with a few presents for the pair.

He walked over to the sliding glass doors and opened them, walking out onto the balcony. He went to the railing, overlooking the ocean. Josh soon found a volleyball game to watch from his apartment, occupying his time until the kids arrived.

Blake hated traveling by floo, it made him feel queasier than traveling apparition or port keys. Reluctantly he had grabbed a handful of floo powder, and with one last strangled smile in Lily's direction, he thrust it into the hearth and shouted Josh's address. The emerald flames engulfed him and he spun, his sight twisting in what appeared to be various directions. When the view of the other side, Josh's living room, came closer and clearer into his sight, it was not long before Blake's feet slammed hard onto solid ground. Covered in soot and ash, Blake battered at his robes one handed as he used the other to drag his trunk out of the fireplace.
"Anyone home?" he called to the seemingly empty room.

Lily followed Blake into the hearth, copying his motions and shortly spinning out onto Josh's living room floor. "I really really hate that stuff," she said as she slowly stood up and dusted herself off. "Why did Josh have us come that way?" As she looked around, she was surprised to see the decorations. Pretty good for a single guy to have pulled that off, she thought. "Where is Josh?" she asked Blake, not sure if they had arrived with him out of the apartment.

Josh heard the kids voices coming from the living room, and regretfully turned from the women he was watching play volleyball. "Hey you two. I am here. Just out looking at the ocean," he greeted, not really willing or wanting to tell his son and his girlfriend that he was truly watching girls bouncing around in bikinis on the beach. That would be too weird for them. Josh walked inside, chuckling as they were brushing the ash off of their clothes. "Sorry about the floo network. Couldn't procure a portkey in time. How are you all doing?" He adjusted his sleeves, making sure that the long sleeve t-shirt he was wearing was not riding up and disclosing his secrets.

Blake smiled awkwardly and said, "Fine, I guess. Thanks for letting us stay for the holidays. Again." Flattening down his clothes properly when he finally finished removing all the soot he could, Blake looked around. It was that same as he remembered, except the addition of Christmas decorations. It was a nice place, Blake had to admit. "Cozy place."

Josh smiled at the pair. "Thanks. And you know you are always welcome to stay here. Both of you. I am glad to get the opportunity to get to know you." He glanced outside, then back at the pair. "Well, I will let you get settled. You will have the same rooms as this summer. Feel free to help yourself to the fridge. I have not moved anything around at all so you should be able to find anything. I need to make a quick call, so I will be on the balcony." With that, Josh pulled out his cell phone, waved, and walked back to the balcony.

He quickly dialed Tristan's now familiar number, and spoke softly. "Yeah. Just got here. I will let you know what I find out." He listened for a bit, then ended the call and resuming his look at the "ocean".

Blake shrugged then turned to face Lily. "Are you hungry? I am famished," he said, one hand moving over his stomach as it growled. "Let's eat." With that he tugged Lily's hand and led her to Josh's kitchen. It did still look the same as he remembered, and all the surfaces and appliances were gleaming. Walking over to the fridge he rummaged around until he finally emerged with a jug of pumpkin juice, and the ingredients of sandwich. Placing these down on the kitchen table he found the cupboard where Josh kept his fresh bread, and with a knife he began slicing it evenly.
"Ugh. I wish we could use magic," he said reproachfully. He would not say it aloud, but he felt like a muggle having to do everything by hand. Blake had never expressed to Lily his certain dislike of some muggle lifestyles, and especially their wacko inventions. He still hadn't quite picked up to Josh's life comforts of living on the muggle side.
When he finished making two sandwiches, he placed each on different platters before handing one to Lily and later pouring her a glass of the pumpkin juice. "Just how I remember you like it." He smiled as he sat in the seat opposite her and quietly and neatly devoured his own ham sandwich.

Lily laughed as she was tugged into the kitchen. She sat down at the table as Blake started to rummage for things. "Can I help you at all?" she asked, but was given a shushing with a look from Blake. So, she sat back, and let him work his magic in the kitchen. As Blake finished the sandwiches, she leaned back and saw that Josh was on his cell phone out on the balcony. Wonder what a Death Eater would use a cell phone for? And how is he going to react when I tell him that Strella is my roommate? This is going to be a fun trip. She smiled at Blake when he set down her favorites in front of her. "You are way too good, you know that?" She had not realized just how hungry she was until that moment. Her stomach growled at the site of the food, and she ate quickly.

When they were done, she picked up the dishes and rinsed them before placing them in the dishwasher. Shutting the door and turning it on, she turned to Blake. "I think I want to settle my things in, then head down to the beach. What about you? Any ideas on what you want to do?"

"I'll head upstairs with my things too, but maybe join you a little later on beach." Blake stood up and pushed his seat in. "Need any help with your things?"

Lily looked at Blake and smiled. "Not really, but if you want to, I will gladly let you." Lily decided to hold out a specific package to him. "Actually, if you want to open this one up, you can. Happy Birthday! I know I am a bit late, but with exams, we just did not have time to celebrate." She smiled, really hoping that Blake would like the choice she made, and that it would fit him. She had another present picked out for him for Christmas, but was holding on to though she was overly anxious to give it to him.

Blake was surprised when Lily handed him a package that she announced was his birthday present. He felt hot around the face, but smiled all the same. "Thanks," he said, pulling Lily into a hug. "You didn't have to do this," he said sincerely. He hadn't even noticed his birthday had arrived when it did. Tearing at the wrapping paper apart, Blake unfolded what appeared to be a Slytherin sweater. Pulling it over his head happily he glanced down at himself. "Perfect fit," he beamed at Lily, pulling her in for another hug. "Thank you," he whispered, putting his lips to hers softly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back