Jester

Robin Lichester-Raven

I'm long past Brightstone, aren't I? said Robin inwardly, frowning as he turned to look behind him. A light snow was beginning to pepper his hair, some landing on his forehead to melt onto his nose and down his jumper. Rob ignored them, more intent on trying to find his way to a familiar landmark. La Grande had only been in New Zealand for a week and though he now knew Brightstone like the back of his hand, Obsidian was uncharted territory. It was a long walk from the village to the town, but somehow he felt that there was bigger game to catch in the larger area. Robin wasn't looking for women; he never was, though they always seemed to find him. In fact, he was simply looking for a good meal that he hadn't already cooked himself (not that he was terrible or suchlike). The difference was that at the circus if you could do anything well then you did it, regardless of whether you wanted to or not. Robin could cook for himself, and therefore cooked for everyone. "I'm going for lunch!" he had announced, and everyone left him be. Lord knew he deserved a break.

Strangely enough, he wasn't planning on performing either. Despite his extended levels of endurance, Robin was utterly buggered by the extensive training leading up to the show in four weeks. If he saw another white ball or swinging trapeze, he'd darn well scream. Luckily, there was a far more interesting sight approaching. It was a womanly figure, and though Robin hadn't seen the girl's face properly, he recognised her gait. "Hey. You. You you you." he said in a mildly surprised voice and a snap of his fingers, sounding nothing at all like the swarthy drawl that he had used as he had tossed the knives. "I know you."

Another cold bitter day had seen her wrap herself up by the fireside, bundled onto a chair with book in hand. Though she turned the pages she saw no words as her mind attemtped to reconcile itself with the hard cold fact that the male race despised her for some reason. Alex had not tried to contact her to even attempt an apology and she had not heard from Hayden is the longest time. She knew that Corinne who sat on the chair opposite was gazing at her, concerened as to why the teenage girl was not outside enjoying the snow or meeting her friends. Eventually the long silence and her guardians unwavering observation of her caused her to rise up from her seat.

"I need fresh air" the book was left on her seat as she went to the hall and retreived her robe and gloves. The weather was much too bracing so she wrapped up well against it. Closing the door she allowed her feet to guide her in any direction, her mind chose to wander another way. Morrigan Kolina Craven was never one for morose subjectivity, having never been plunged into a situation whereby her feelings had been crushed twice. Wanting no more to do with the male race than to perhaps batter than with some finely aimed snow balls she continued to walk.

It was sometime and she was finally beginning to feel hungry about to turn she heard a voice call out. Instinctively she looked though not expecting the male representative of the voice to be talking to her was surprised to see the street performer of the other day. Not knowing why she did it, she pulled up her hood and turned away. Guiding herself down an alleyway but only realising this error too late. The young man of the other day had caused an unexpected reaction from her, one she was loathe to repeat. Men could go to the deuce she had enough of them.

Hoping that he would at least have chosen to keep walking, Moko turned from the alley'd cul de sac to return to the street.

Ho ho, I know you heard me, trilled Robin in his mind as he skipped to catch up to the woman who was moving hurriedly down a side street and into an alleyway. His eyes sparkled with mischief and locked onto the hooded head like a target. Not interested? She would be. The girl was determined but so was Robin, and with the ease of a snake he slipped around her hurried form and stood in front of her. He wasn't in the slightest bit threatening, however. With his hands tucker into his pockets in a jolly fashion, he circled around her back again and now faced her left side, his feet stepping sideways lightly and keeping up with her pace easily. "I saw you in the crowd the other day. Quiet one, aren't you?". Robin's voice was slightly teasing, but mostly just merry and pleased to see someone who had watched a show.

"Do you have a name?" he queried. Rob's cheeks were beginning to go a little pink from the cold and his dark curls were blowing into his eyes as a chill wind swept through the street. Nevertheless, he followed doggedly and, having nothing better to do, intended to take this girl for a bite to eat and a chat. Despite his carefree looks, Robin was terribly interested in every single person who came to watch him. People were his life and passion. It didn't sit well that he was being ignored by an admittedly pretty member of that group. He wrinkled his nose slightly as he thought, cheeks lifting slightly with amusement. "You look like a Selena. Perhaps a Catherine? No, something exotic ..."

Not getting very far as the boy came to stand in front of her Moko attempted to move along. He insisted on circling her which annoyed her greatly and beginning to bristle put her hands into the pockets of her robe. One hand gripping her wand in case it was needed. He changed tactics and began walking along side her now. Moko sighed, wishing the male race would get sucked into some black hole or simply just leave her alone. Taking out her wand she wrote in the air before him as if to answer his question on her being a quiet one.

"Piss off" with a smile on her face now she picked up her pace and came out of the alley. But still her pestered her this time for her name. Stopping abruptly and looking at him as if she would happily strangle him if he continued to pester her, Moko inhaled deeply holding her wand at her side now. It was probably fortunate that she wore gloves or the whites of her knuckles would be visible, her wand however was in danger of snapping unless her grip on it ceased or eased.

"Selena?!" her tone was incredulous as she spat the stupid muggle girly frilly name back at him, the other name was not so bad but still she was far from a Catherine, "If you must know I am Morrigan named after the goddess of war but people I know call me Moko. I am sure you would rather be flirting with knives and tossing doves in the air than harassing me so I bid you good day performer" she purposefully did not bother asking him his own name but rued her decision to bother leaving the house. Turning left she proceeded to make her escape of him.

Robin had to swallow his laughter when the Moko brushed him off so callously with her coarse words. He'd never been so utterly shunned before, and far from being hurt in the slightest, Rob was highly amused. This girl was awesome. The fierceness in her eyes was a wonder to behold, and he found himself insatiably curious as to who she was and what made her so vicious towards him. Was it his attitude? That he could understand somewhat; he knew exactly why some women couldn't stand the sound of him. It was the lazy performer's drawl and the smug demeanour. Eventually Rob would give up the act and simply be the curious and fun-loving person that he was, but not many girls bothered to wait for that stage.

Robin scratched his chin, still skipping along beside her. "Hmm ... you're right. Selena's not you at all." Suddenly his eyes lit up and he grinned, transforming his face from sultry to pure merriment. "Morrigan! My goodness, your mother knew you well." He knew perfectly well that she hadn't asked for his name, since he very rarely gave it anyway. Occasionally he even gave an alias, but not today it seemed. "I'm Robin. And you're not having a very good day, are you? Or is that my fault ..." said Rob, looking sufficiently chastised. "Anyway, I would have said that I would much rather be flirting with you, but as it is I'd just like to make you smile." Robin's eyes crinkled up at the corners as he demonstrated. "You were the only one who didn't look happy that day." He promptly turned left just as she did, and it was obvious that he wasn't giving up that easily. Making people happy is my job. It almost feels like I've failed, Robin laughed sadly at himself in his head.

Each step was becoming an agonising reminder of why she detested the male race infuriatingly. He did not once cease to speak, condemning her to a tirade of his meanderings. Finally his words pierced her and she halted abruptly. How often had Alex Cullen told her she needed to loosen up, to stop being so serious. Well she had stopped, she had been making an effort for him of all people only to have it thrown abysmally in her face. Pride had made her wait out the rest of his graduation ceremony as his prize trophy, being shown around as if she were some brainless fool. He had not mentioned the kiss she had given him, had not reacted in any way at all. It was only when she had finally consented to his showing her around to his friends as he had earlier suggested that he had become in any way animated.

It had been even more embarrassing to have to go to the girls restroom and over hear a few students talking about how Alex was beside himself with jealousy because of Kiera and James. Her heart had crushed in on itself but still her foolish stubborn pride would not allow her to simply
walk away. She had made a commitment and she had seen it through. Now looking at Robin she wondered did everyone see her as some sad pathetic creature who went around looking morose all the time. This Kiera who she had later been introduced too by Alex had been all pleasant and smiles. A bubbly creature with quite literally a world of effervescence locked inside her, an extrovert compared to Morrigan's introverted nature. How completely opposite the two girls were. Kiera was small and had the figure of a pre-pubescent teenager as if her figure had been halted by time and age while Moko was tall, slender yet sported curves apt to her age.

"Why should it concern you?" she asked looking into his eyes, her chocolate brown probing the depths for some answer, "Why should you concern yourself with my happiness or lack of it? Perhaps I have cause ..." she faltered before turning away. Why was she even bothering to speak to a stranger? Comfort was it too much to ask for a little of it, perhaps seeking it in Alex's arms had been a grave mistake. But she knew if she stayed in the presence of someone who looked like the street performer did and with his insurmountable charm, she would seek it there too. Pride kept her walking, any show of weakness was unacceptable.

Ahh, progress, thought Robin, smiling inwardly. Yet somehow it wasn't the thrill of conquest that he was looking for, and he found himself being true to the words he had spoken previously. All he wanted was to make this girl happy, which was generally his deepest desire for most people anyway. He loved seeing laughter and wonder fall onto people's faces, and there was something so ... wanting about Moko. As though she was needing something that someone out there could offer. Rob had no idea, he was just rambling in his head. Yet he would be relentless in his pursuit, and though he was being more ruthlessly rejected than he had ever been in his entire life, he wasn't ready to lay down the fire now.

Moko's eyes were boring into his, and Robin's sea blue eyes did not falter as she confronted him. He frowned for a moment, slightly thrown off and not knowing exactly how to respond to her question. But he tried his best. "It's my job to entertain people, but it's not my job to care about them. That an involuntary freebie on my part. I'm a good multitasker," he grinned, "So I can do both." Honesty was the best policy. "You're pretty, spirited and you need a good time." Rob laughed and scratched the back of his head sheepishly. "Though I didn't mean that in an off way. Truthfully, there's just something about you." he shrugged. He didn't notice, but he was blushing slightly. That wasn't to say that he hadn't noticed her unfinished sentence. Still curious but more mindful of privacy than he appeared to be, Robin said nothing about it.

"Now would you like to grab a bite to eat? It's bloody cold out, and I'm not as evil as I look." he joked, but his eyes were kind. Rob did not allow the hope to surface, regardless. He was meeting the most fascinating people in New Zealand.

Morrigan wondered what it was about her that caused all the crazies to come out of the wood work, had she been so awfully evil in a past life or something? With a resigned sigh she knew she was most likely not going to get rid of him any time soon.

“Yay for multitasking” she muttered finally putting her wand away before shoving her hands into her pockets, when he deemed her spirited and in need of a good time. Her face went livid at what it even sounded like he was suggesting but as he blushed and hastily attempted to cover his tracks albeit badly she felt slightly mollified at least. She had nothing else planned for the day and knew she would be subjected to more morose looks from Corinne and pitiable cups of tea from the housekeeper if she returned early.
“Alright” Moko began to walk further along , “ a bite seems safe enough and no you’re not as evil as you look”
With a wickedly mischievous grin she turned to look at him, moving very close as she did so as her breath fanned his face, if he had been thrown before by simply her eyes then he now he was going to be rocked for six.
“but maybe I’m not as sweet and innocent as I look”.

It was a shame that Moko was invariably unaware 98.8% of the time of how her looks were positively distracting to many of the male race. There was only one boy she wanted to distract and he was not here and he did not want her.

Robin grinned at his own personal victory when Moko finally agreed. Inwardly he frowned, pondering the fact that she had probably only said yes because he had started being a bit more honest. She probably thought him some kind of stalker, but in all truth he was just bored. Boredom always seemed to be his downfall, for somehow he always managed to get into the most outrageous situations (generally with women involved) when he had nothing better to do that day. Why, only three days ago his father had caught him swinging Christobelle around in his arms while the two of them were wrapped up in the Silks. His father's roar and Christa's mortified departure had Robin sufficiently chastised.

He was rather shocked when Moko came closer, close enough to send the hairs raising on his arms as her breath ghosted his cheek. Robin just managed to keep the smirk from his face; somehow he wasn't entirely sure that she was aware of the effect she had on him. That and the rest of the male species if they had been in his position. "Which would have been suitable phrasing had you looked sweet in the slightest. Rather, it suggests some sort of misplaced weakness. And you are anything but." said Rob. Dammit. If she gets too close again I'm sure to do something stupid, he scowled mentally. Most of the time that wouldn't matter either, but as he had said before; there was just something about Moko that he didn't dare touch ... yet. Now that they were in a truce, Robin scanned the surrounding area for a halfway decent restaurant, but his thoughts were interrupted by squeals and shouts of delight.

"Uncle Rob, uncle Rob!" bellowed the bare-footed circus children. A small group of five came charging into his arms and though Robin was miffed at being disturbed, he simply swung the nearest children up into his arms and laughed. "So where's Jemima, hm?" he grinned, being poked every which way by giggling children who were either clinging to his legs or squirming in his arms. "We lost her!" giggled Sabrine. Rob turned his head and watched as a very exhausted woman came jogging up the lane. Every child burst into giggles and darted out of his grip to take chase again. Robin rolled his eyes and turned back to Moko. "Ah ... so ... how about that little teashop over there?" he indicated a street up, vaguely embarrassed by the kiddie attack.

Moko's laughter rang out deep and clear cutting through the cold of the day at his comment about her looking far from sweet. Her brown eyes held a glimmer of the mirth and strength of the girl she truly was, before Alex Cullen had begun wedging himself into her life. She would have given her right arm to be rid of the feelings she had for him, unrequited anything was pathetic and it was beneath her. So far beneath her.

"I am anything but weak?" she turned to face him recounting in her head how many people reminded her of this fact almost daily. There were times she felt tired of being the formidable young woman they all seemed to think she was, knew her to be. It seemed easier somedays to stay in bed and pull the covers up over her head and yell at the world to simply leave her be, "Do you know the stories of the Spartan babies? How when they are born they are placed out on a hill top the extreme weather and wild animals all ready to tear them asunder. Those who do not survive are merely seen as the runts of the litter. They are weak and not worthy, but those that survive are returned to their homes and are raised not as boys, but as warriors. Brutal but effective. I was read the stories of the spartans as a child though my parents are... were far from muggles. They intrigued them greatly. I had no fairy tales, no princess finding her prince. I had tales of warriors and battles, conquests and victories, of honor and bravery. I am anything but weak".
Her words hung in the air between them as suddenly the voices of a gaggle of children rushed at them. She watched as they clung to him calling him 'uncle Rob', she was highly entertained now. Extremely amused and found him beyond intriguing. When the children finally raced off she stood smiling at him before linking her arm through his.
"I think that little teashop is just about perfect ... Rob".

Fortuitously enough, Robin had been told stories of what happened to little Spartan babes. Nevertheless, he was rather curious as to why Moko felt the need to prove that point to him; or rather, prove herself. Was she simply mocking his choice of words, or was she making a firm point about what he could and could not do? After all; no woman made speeches about their strength of character unless it was a personal attack against a perceived threat to it, or so Robin believe. "I have also heard that they did the same to female children which they valued quite a bit more than most other cultures. A female babe left on a hillside anywhere else was simply there to die, not to see be tested," he said mildly. This was his subtle hint at a compliment but also his warning signal. It appeared that neither of them were to be trifled with; especially not my one another. Robin smile secretly. He forgot his dreams of a stolen kiss from her and simply admired the bravery with which she stood before him.

He did flinch slightly when she repeated his name to him. He'd been found out at last and Rob fought hard not to blush on instinct. "Actually, it's Robin," he corrected hesitantly in order to distract from the fact that he had lost that round. Well, if he wanted to take her to lunch then he could not have kept his name forever. The corner of his mouth lifted when she linked an arm through his, and he lead her in a gentlemanly-like fashion towards the tea house. As they walked he was merry in stature and looking rather pleased with himself at enlisting someone to eat with him, and resumed asking questions. "You go to school I assume, yes?" he asked, though he couldn't be sure. Perhaps she was just past school age. Rob himself had never attended a formal academy. Everything he needed to know about magic had been taught to him by his trainers and family members.

Moko felt as if they were both testing the waters, treading ground like panthers before a fight. He spoke of the female spartans and she smiled.
"Of course they had to be tested, they were to be mothers of warriors. Not just mothers of mere men" her voice carried across the cold frigid air like a warm caress. It was only the interuption of the children that had broken whatever tension had been seeming to build between the pair.

She could not help but smile as the children gathered around him and called him uncle, could not help smiling when he corrected her about his name.
"Robin" another smile as she glanced at him, "I like it, it suits you".
The young woman who only moments ago had been ready to tackle him if needs be, seemed to have been masked by a smiling polite woman the nub of it all was which one wore the mask? Was she really a tigeress waiting to challenge anyone that came near her or was she just a heart of gold misunderstood? It was hard to imagine she could be both and yet very few bothered trying to find out. She played her cards much too close to her chest, once bitten twice shy did not truly apply to her. It was more once bitten, they never got a second chance to bit again. She learnt fast from any mistakes made.

They arrived at the teashop and entered, she had not answered his question just yet. Looking about for a place to sit, the waitress informed them that all spaces were taken except one. She must have thought them a couple as they linked arms, it was only when Moko looked with widened eyes at where she was putting them that she immediately retracted her hand from his. But telling the waitress that they couldn't possibly sit there was out of the questions as she
passed them menu's and walked off. The tiny alcove looked as if it were a love nest, indeed the cushioned chair was narrow enough to sit two but at extremely close quarters. The table tiny with probably enough room for a teacup each. She continued to stare for a moment before sighing and sliding over on the chair. Even if she were to sit at the very edge, their arms would still brush against the other. Their legs would invariably touch unless they were to sit with their backs to
the other. Tempting as that scenario was she knew it was also rude so spent the next few minutes composing herself by staring at the menu.

Robin himself thought of the situation as oil and water battling furiously inside a potions bottle, a mix of magic, colour and mystery coupled with opposing forces that refused to relent. Rob was an interesting individual to say the least, but it was rare to meet anyone who was just as curious, if not more so than he was just by being themselves, completely ignoring the factors of background. After all; Rob was fascinated by Moko, and for all he knew she could have been part of one of the most boring families in New Zealand (or wherever she was from). For goodness sake, she had even managed to make him blush several times, including the fact that he was doing so now because she liked his name. Robin. Never. Blushed. Until now. “Shiza,” he mumbled to himself, using a choice German swearword.

He frowned when she did not speak the rest of the way. It only made him ache to know the answer more, which was probably precisely the reason why she did not answer. Rob now scowled openly but teasingly, resisting the urge to give her a poke. Instead her focused on exactly where they were, and smirked to find them staring at a rather cosy spot which was the last table in the room. He took a side glance at Moko and smirked wider to see that she was none-too happy with the arrangement. He would try to take advantage of this situation, if only for the joy of making her irritated. She was just as fascinating irate as she was smiling. “What would you like?” he asked, changing tact entirely and simply being polite. He himself had chosen a lemon tea, not being overly fond of coffee or sweet drinks. “It’s my treat, and perhaps I must bribe your answer out of you with a drink.” Robin arched an eyebrow at her.

The young man had the cheekiest of grins, the quickest of charm and wit that she had encountered yet but for all his good looks and such Moko felt little else but a mild intrigue. She was utterly weary of leaving her guard down. She had been taken for a fool too often in her view and was loathe to let a stranger be further reason for personal introspection later. Yet he blushed at her words, swore in German which made her grin to the side. It puzzled and vexed her no end that she was allowing herself to be led to a tearoom with him but the thought of being alone with her thoughts; thoughts that invariably led to Alex and his callous treatment of her was not what she wanted right now.

So she sat into the little alcove, watching as he did too. They were so close as to be actually touching that she found it all so uncomfortable. Moko had only ever been this physically close to two other young men, Hayden and Alex. Both had left her reeling taking her heart and trampling it mercilessly. The only solace she had here was she felt nothing for Robin, nothing but a sudden ache to want to touch his arm. To run her fingers through his hair and watch is spring back from her touch, to trail the tips of her fingers along the edge of his lips... her eyes widened in horror at what she was thinking. It had come completely out of the blue and shocked her fiercely. Grabbing the small menu she perused it a moment before nodding curtly.

"A black coffee, strong. Very strong. Make that an espresso" she wanted to be alert, her mind was obviously lacking in something to be daydreaming such bizarre thoughts, a good strong hit of caffeine would jar it out of its reverie no end or so she hoped.
"You do not need a bribe" she turned her face to look at him, oh they were much too close in this seat. She could almost feel his breath on her. This would not do at all, glancing back down at the menu she placed it on the table and pushed it from her, "I am attending Durmstrang.
This coming year will be my final."

"Durmstrang. Wow," said Robin with the exact amount of interest appropriate. The way he said it was a little too perfect however, which might have given away the fact that he had no idea what she was talking about. Rob hadn't attended a magical academy of any sort. The magic he knew was taught to him by the elder performers, most of which were spells that had been made up within their community and were for pure practically. Robin knew not a single hex or charm to make a knife chop faster or shrubs to grow out of someone's nostrils, but he knew how to heal small injuries and muscle strains and to mix potions for all sorts of occasions. He wondered if Durmstrang was the local school here, or whether it was one of many. Was it big, or large? He couldn't embarrass himself by asking such questions. Many thought him uneducated because he had not gone to school. Though Rob knew that that was far from true, it was quite a bit more difficult to convince people otherwise.

A thought occurred to him and he exploited it in order to make up for his lack of knowledge. He smiled at her, his eyes crinkling up at the corners involuntarily as all his genuine smiles caused him to do. "You'll have to forgive me if I know very little about the schools in this area. I've spent most of my life in the UK." His epiphany also gave him cause to ask more questions, he was pleased to discover. "What do you study there?". Try not to look too interested, Rob. he told himself in an exasperated fashion. No point pretending to be knowledgeable if you couldn't maintain the charade. All this time he did not notice how uncomfortable their proximity was making Moko. Robin was perfectly at ease and had no qualms about sitting so close to a pretty lady, though that was hardly why he tolerated the closeness. He simply liked people and contact.

Moko's head automatically snapped around to survey him as he spoke, a slight frown creased her other wise perfect, flawless features. It seemed as if the man beside her had not heard of the infamous, notorious and downright amazing magical school which was Durmstrang. Propping her chin in her hand as she continued to look at him, highly intrigued and much amused by him she could not help but smile. This was enough to stem off her discomfort at being so physically close to him, for now.

"You have never heard of my school have you?" another smile as she dared him to with a single look to deny it, "Durmstrang is not a local school at all, it is hidden in Europe like many of the great schools it is unplottable."His mentioning the United Kingdom had caused her to look away for a moment, her long slender fingers drummed on the edge of the table.
"I spent all my life in England" was all she said on the matter glad that the waiter finally came to take their order, she relaid what she had decided on and waited for him to do the same. Refusing to give merry old England another thought. It meant too much to her, held so many memories not just of her parents and friends but of Alex, drunken buffoon that he was when they had come upon one another during the Christmas break. She blinked momentarily to ward off any more memories that might assail her and chose to change the subject to something else entirely.
"The women seem to like you alot, I think you only had a handful of men stopping to view your performance. Is that regular?"

Robin blushed and failed to cover it. "No, I've heard of it. Why would you think that I hadn't?". Once again, his voice was right on the money and perfectly tailored for the situation, however he could not control his body's involuntary functions. He simply went redder and eventually gave her a sheepish look. "Yes, well. Durmstrang is..." too far away for him to have heard of it? No, that wouldn't make sense. Robin gave up. "I've never been to a school of magic before, and we were traveling so much that the majority of my friends were like me. I was educated within the circus, including in magic. I only know what everyone else knew, and most of the spells we use are invented by us, see." He felt that that was enough embarrassment for the moment. He was well spoken and did not appear to be any less educated than anyone else, but he found himself judged often and learned to keep the information to himself. Robin trusted Moko not to think less of him for having not gone to school, though Lord knew why. She just didn't seem the type to make fun of someone unlike herself.

Now Moko moved on to another subject entirely that he wasn't sure whether to be proud of or embarrassed again. Rob would no doubt look like the sleeze he was if he expressed how he did not mind the attention, so he decided to dodge it for now. "Weeeell," said Robin, scratching the back of his head with a grin. "Yes, I guess you could say that. Dunno why, though." A lie. He knew exactly why. He would have preferred that it was because he was good at his craft, but in the end it was probably his shirtlessness and the dark, swarthy good looks. No one knew which side of family it had come from. The dark brown curls were explainable, but not his pale skin. "I'd rather get more males than females, if only for confirmation that they're not just there to stare and actually appreciate what I'm doing." said Robin honestly. "I'm just trying to make people happy for the right reasons."

As she listened to him the waitress finally came to take their order, Moko ordered her own then turned to look at Robin beside her, only speaking again when the woman had moved away.
"You could have simply said as much you know. It must have been very interesting learning magic that way. There are many people who get homeschooled, every one is different Robin. You should know that by now, what with your worldly experience an' all" she grinned at him now, feeling slightly more relaxed though the confined space still bothered her. Yet how could she feel in any way apprehensive about sitting so close to someone who blushed crimson at most everything she said. Deciding to perhaps watch her words carefully she looked back up as the waitress returned once more with their drinks. She smiled and thanked her, popping a cube of sugar into her mug and flicking her finger so that a spoon lifted up and began to stir the sugar in her coffee.

She listened intently as he spoke about preferring men to watch his show than women, not being able to restrain herself from laughing Moko had to place the mug she had just picked up back down onto the table. Her laugh was deep and hearty, as warm as the woman it bubbled from.
"If it helps any, I appreciated what you were doing. I certainly wasn't there in the crowd for your looks" it was her own turn to blush as she hastily looked away from him, picking up her mug once more and placing the steaming hot liquid to her mouth. Typical that her hasty actions caused her to scald her lower lip a fraction, lowering her cup once more her fingers tips gingerly touched her lip. Chastising herself and her way with words once more, she had been hoping not to cause him to blush again but only succeeded in causing herself too.

Once again, Robin gave Moko an apologetic look for lying but he appreciated the way she had handled it. It had been a poor lie anyway, and probably just born of vanity, he decided. After all, he wouldn't have wanted a friend who looked down on him for not having attended school, anyway. "Sorry. I should have said so, I know. It wasn't because I thought you'd snub me for it, nor am I ashamed of my family." he grinned, admitting it openly. "Maybe I just like to look as though I know what everyone else does. For example, already I can tell you the properties of the local herbs and fungi and where they grow. But I can't for the life of me change a pebble into rock or something like that." Robin told Moko, giving her an impish smile. He noticed that she was relaxing a bit more, being very conscious of people and their actions, himself. Robin tilted his head to the side as the spoon by her hand lifted and began to stir the coffee by itself. He took a moment to glare at his spoon, commanding it to move. It didn't even twitch. Coughing slightly as if that would cover his moment of frustration with the cutlery, he went back to smiling and listened to what was said next.

"It does help," he mumbled in reply, feeling the corners of his mouth twitch as the young woman began to laugh infectiously. Robin really did laugh when he saw how red she had gone. "Ha! You're so cute," he chuckled, burying his red face into his hands and laughing till he was breathless. Composing himself, he lifted his head and gave her a look of barely suppressed mirth. "Ahem. Ah, by the way, do let me pay for that coffee. I was the one hounding you anyway, so it's the least I can do." said Rob gallantly.

She nudged him playfully with her elbow, shaking her head slightly.
"I have a feeling that life on the road has taught you many interesting things that I would not have otherwise learnt in a classroom experience" Moko knew this was true in many situations, learning in a save classroom environment was not the same at all as having to learn on your feet in a real life situation.
"Why would you need to change a pebble into a rock? Just enlargen it, it's the same thing" she offered up, Moko's mind was usually quick with a solution at hand for most things. If one particular spell didn't work, she was already willing to try out about five others in it's place. Noticing the stern look he was giving his spoon she knew that he was attempting to move it as she had done but soon gave up the ghost and coughed instead.

Within moments he was laughing at her and appeared as beetroot in the face as she did. Not sure how she took to being called cute she was stunned into momentary silence awhile.
"Well if you keep insisting then of course you can pay" she smiled, "by the way you're the one that's cute, I'm much too goodlooking to be considered that."

She pulled off this rather daring line with a mischievous grin and wink, a sparkle almost pinging in the corner of her eye as she smiled at him.

The cheeky grin did not leave his face the entire time he engaged in their banter. This Morrigan girl was as clever as they came and quite daring too, now that she wasn't threatening to curse him. He had a feeling that he could get quite used to their chatter, but for some reason he didn't feel the need to turn it up a notch and woo her. Robin would have objections to this strange impulse if it were anyone else, but because it was her ... he'd keep his naughty paws well away. Yet, as a man always did, he couldn't help but wonder. What a beauty, thought Rob, sipping his drink and looking at her out of the corner of his eye. Even better when she smiles. I wonder what had gotten her down. "I guess I have learned a thing or two, but a rock into a pebble was just an example." Robin scratched his chin for a moment, then grinned suddenly and announced "I rather think that was the most useless analogy that I've ever come up with!". He 'pfft' at himself and gave Moko a look that made the laughs bubble in his stomach again. This time though, he held his composure. "But I do know what you mean. In the end, if my magic fails me and I'm stuck in a darn-hard situation, I'll get by with the strength of my arms and the knowledge passed down from generations." This was said without infliction or pride; Rob knew what he knew and was unafraid of stating so.

He, too, was stunned for a moment when he was called cute. He had been called many things before, the majority of which hovering either along the lines of 'Core, blimey! Gimme a slice 'o that!' or 'You dirty skeeving b*stard!'. Don't blush don't blush don't blush, he chanted like a mantra in his head. As far as he knew, it worked. Robin made up for his momentary silence himself by blinking and smiling again. "Why Moko, that's like comparing chocolate to vanilla! We are two different vintages, my dear," he said theatrically, fluttering his hands and not noticing the little wisps of smoke that came from them, as always happened when he was in 'performance mode'.

Moko slowly relaxed more and more, when a person can see the funny side to themselves it was always a comforting happenstance and with Robin she simply felt as if she could seriously relax now. He was not trying to flirt with her in any way which really became tedious after a time.
"Oh I'm sure you've come up with worse analogy's than that, you shouldn't put yourself down like that" she laughed heartily realizing that she really was thoroughly enjoying herself in his company now. It might actually not be so strange if they were to become friends, Merlin knew she could do with a few of those.

Again with the jokes and Moko decided that some harmless flirtatious banter was alright in this situation. He so obviously didn't find her in the least bit attractive, so even the close proximity in which they sat held no more anxiwty for her.
"Ah but who is the chocolate and who is the vanilla?" she said turning to give him the full effect of her chocolate brown eyes, "both are equally delicious." As his hands moved she couldn't help it, her own hands reached automatically for them and held them as if inspecting them closely. Her fingers smoothing and gliding over first the back and then the palm of his hands.
"How did you do that?"

"Most likely," replied Robin humbly but with a grin still playing on his lips. It was true that he'd probably come up with worse analogies, but just the same he had come up with better. Rob was very fond of outrageous word games, which was mostly why people became wary of him. He spoke so smoothly for a gypsy and used many long, lilting words that made it sound like he was implying something with every sentence, even when he wasn't. But that wasn't too often. Most of the time their suspicions were entirely correct. Yet still he wondered why he wasn't trying to make a move on Moko. Well ... there was the fact that Christa was still playing in his mind. However, Moko was just too much fun and was worth much more than a one night stand. She'd probably slap me, anyway. thought Robin. He grinned at the image.

Ha! She plays hard ball, smirked Robin as he commented inwardly. Rob quirked an eyebrow at her and gave her the swarthy grin that had set many women's hearts aflame. "No no, screw all that. You're Turkish Delight and I'm cinnamon." he said decisively. Suddenly Moko took a hold of his hand and he jumped in surprise. It had been a long time since he had been so taken aback, and could only look while the beautiful Durmstrang girl searched his hand for an answer. 'How did you do that?'. "What have I done?" asked Robin nervously before he caught on and laughed. "Oh, right. The misty sort of thing. That always happens when ..." Wait ... when does it happen? he thought. Robin concentrated for a moment and watched as the veins in his arms and hand turned visibly grey. Smoke then began seeping out from under his nails and fountaining over her hands. It rose gently and swirled in the air under her nose, filling it with the smell of a crackling campfire. "It's mostly involuntary, but sometimes I can do a few things like this." he explained, delighted that he was able to show it to her again.

She liked being referred to as Turkish Delight, it was one of her favourites but her utmost was cinnamon. It always inspired memories of home and holiday time and everything wonderful that abounded with childhood memories. It seemed unfair that he would choose that particular one for himself but how was he to know what it meant to her personally. She closed her eyes for a moment as if she could actually inhale the scent even now but of course it alluded her.

She was so mesmerised by the wisps of smoke that curled from his finger tips that she had not lost possession of his hands just yet. Still her fingers moved along the skin as she held them up closer to her, fascinated with what he could do, her eyes dancing with amusement and awe. Along each digit her fingers ran as if she were determined to find the source of his magic. Her gaze moved momentarily from the hands she scrutinized to his face and it was only then she realized she had captured his hands and had not released them for some time. Slowly she lowered them though her gaze continued to hold his.

Moko had a passionate nature at the best of times but was almost always able to supress it. She had not expected a sudden burst of nothing short of lust to flare up now as she released his hands. The tension she emitted could have been cut with a knife and she found herself wondering what had changed it the space of such a short time? Surely not the mere fact that he could cause smoke to come out of his hands? That was a stupid reason, the only logical one she could come up with was the closer proximity of touching him had triggered it.
"I like cinnamon" was all she said after that.

With Moko's fingers running along his hands, Robin felt sure that she could feel his blood boil just by her touch. His fingers seemed so close to her lips when she held his fingers up so that the residue smoke wound into her hair. Attune to people's attention, he could feel eyes on them from all sides. He couldn't blame them; even for witches and wizards, it was an enchanting scene to watch. Robin swore that he must be on fire somehow as the smoke thickened and almost billowed out with enthusiasm. "Hey," he mumbled. In that same moment she lowered her hand but not her eyes. 'I like cinnamon.' So the smell filled the room, just like that. Nothing changed or made a sound, yet what occurred could not be described as anything but an explosion of rich smell. Cinnamon! Cinnamon sticks, incense, cinnamon rolls and buns, donuts, desserts and pies; if it smelt of cinnamon, it was directly under their noses. All of it was centered at Robin, who was the obvious source of the cinnamon sensations. He blinked in pure shock, and it simply poured over Moko in waves. Never had such magic taken a hold of him like this had, even as a young boy. Robin's mouth was almost watering with it. So ... good ... smell ... want! he thought with the most base instinct.

He noticed more subtle scent from Moko now, which had nothing to do with her actual scent in reality. It was Turkish Delight, and he was sure that she could smell it coming from her as well. The same base instinct told him to claim the source as his own, and he foolishly obeyed. Without thought or reason, Robin slid his hand behind her head and brought her lips to his. The kiss was as deep as a kiss could be, and he tasted the two flavours on her tongue. It was heaven in its most concentrated form. Then his spoon dropped from where it was balanced across his cup of tea and tinkled on the counter top. Just like that, Robin broke the kiss and sat back heavily. There was a long silence.

"My bad."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back