OOC First Name
Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
So, during Y9 some classes changed from standard lesson format to "interactive lessons".
In standard lessons, the Professor would post the full lesson then each student would post a reply to whatever the Professor did then add in what their character did.
This system is quite simple, but also can be mundane and boring. So, some professors took it upon themselves to try to make classes 'interactive'. The major differences were as follows:
[ul][li]The professor posted the full lesson out gradually and you often had to make several posts in the lesson to do the full lesson, however you could now readily interact with the professor and other students (like a proper roleplay)</LI>
<LI>[li]Lessons were posted once every two weeks instead of once a week.[/li][/ul]

The professors currently have the option of which class style they use - and many of them would like to know what you prefer as a lesson style - because what is the point of lessons, no matter the style, if nobody will reply to them?

So I would invite you to reply to this topic with your personal opinion of 'interactive lessons' and which of the two styles you prefer.
If you have any ideas on how lessons can be improved, feel free to share those as well. ^_^

Thank you,

~Nick

Personally for me I think it be fun but than again that's keeping up with everyone post and such. There are so many first years! So what I would do is have interactive lessons for the upper classmate (3rd Years and up) and just have the basic for the first years. Since they are new mostly new to the site. Now the interactive lessons I would have like a 2 paragraph maximum or even a paragraph long so everyone could keep up with the lessons. Also if there any assignments, posted them in another pin up thread (Like Make-UP thread) so that if you do miss class you don't have to look over the lesson to get it. Sorry throwing suggestions and got carried away :r

I think standard lesson format would be better for us 1st years and the second years. I recommend the interactive lesson format for third years and up.

I really like the interactive form. I do agree, though about there being too many first years to feasibly to interactive lessons for them.
The 2nd year Charms was fine in interactive form. I think it's definitely better, although maybe not all classes would be suited to it?
I'm happy with whatever the professors want to do though, because ultimately it's them who have the most work for each class.

I personally prefer the standard lessons. Those that enjoy classes are able to write long, detailed posts, while those that aren't so keen have the option of doing the lesson once and getting it over with. With the interactive posts, everyone is expected to return the topic, or else they will get less marks that those that post frequently. I think that if HNZ were to continue interactive lessons, this should be only in elective classes. Students pick electives because they like those subjects (and would clearly enjoy interactive lessons), or they need the class for future careers (and therefore should do interactive lessons to get more involved and prepared for whatever that future career is). Since I have a Charms professor, I won't mind doing interactive classes if you feel I should, however I would prefer the standard lessons. This is because my character teaches years 1-3, and like a few have mentioned, the younger students and newer members posting seem to decrease in numbers when it comes to interactive lessons.

I am not a big fan of the interactive topic. For some of the students that are taking on a full class load and have so many lessons to post in already it just makes life that much harder. I don't have a problem with them. I think they are all right but I would prefer if a student did not wish to do the lesson interactive than they could do a make-up lesson that was like a regular lesson.

I like the idea of interactive topics and it is an interesting thoughts but in practice, they seem to be too much work for Professors and students alike. I find it hard to keep up to date with interactive lessons and I have enough trouble remembering all my other RPs which still need replies. The 'normal' lessons have, and always will be, my preference. I think the original lesson format had more pros than cons in comparison to the interactive ones. (The most obvious con of interactives being attendance and keeping up with posts). If the opinions are equal for both arguments, is there not a compromise? Something like the Professor only posting once, for example, but the students being allowed to post more than once in a way to interact?
Half the time I don't know what I'm talking about but I would like to highlight the former lines of my paragraph.

I agree with Larissa as it would be easier for both students and teachers if they only 'had' to post once and they can post more if they want to interact. That way, the people with a full class load can post once, and not worry about keeping up, etc.

I think that the interactive lessons are a little annoying. I mean, I have a couple of students and I don't know if I would be able to RP with other students and also post a few times in the lessons. Also, because of different time zones and stuff, I feel like I will fall behind. And that wouldn't be good.

Alyss Summers said:
I agree with Larissa as it would be easier for both students and teachers if they only 'had' to post once and they can post more if they want to interact.
I had suggested this.
That the rest of the lesson be summarized in a spoiler or something, which provides an option for those who might not want to interact.

I have been neutral on this and continue to be. Some professors wanted to try it in Y9. We allowed it, for a few courses to test, because it very seldom hurts to try.
There didn't seem to be much of a negative response in the community (though a few were quite vocal ;) ) so we brought it up again if more professors wanted to try it for their courses.
I think I will leave the option open to professors, but I do want something worked out such that those who don't want to interact in lessons are not penalized for it. I also trust that professors will consider opinions and ideas in this topic when determining how to run their class. :)

I encourage you all to continue to share your ideas here. ^_^

I have to agree here. I like the initial idea of an interactive lesson, but I just dont think I have enough skill to balance all my students lessons out. I have about three students now and unfortunately two are first years, the other being a second. While im sure it is more fun, I thnk the a structured lesson where evey-one already knows what he or she is doing is far more supportive of what will be happening. Any-way thats just how I feel about it. But as has been said before, it is entirely up to the professors andd how they run their lessons. I will go either way if I have to.

~Teigan

As a student, I'm of the opinion that interactive lessons for some classes, are a bad idea. I like only having to post once in a class, because I find that if I have to do it more then once, I'll forget.

As a Professor, I still disagree. Potions wouldn't be able to work in an interactive style, though I have been thinking of ways for it to be implemented as such. If I come to a plain conclusion, on whether it can be changed to interactive, I would talk it over with my other potions Professor, and then some of the 'well seasoned' members of the site.

It's a good idea for most non-magic-learning based classes, to remain non-interactive, for the time being.

- Zach. :)

Myself, I'd much prefer the standard method. I've done interactive on another site, and I found it unnecessarily time-consuming and tedious. But then, the member base was much smaller and the staff less reliable, so it might be better here. Most of the time, lesson threads would just die.

I've never exactly been silent on my opinions on this.

I can not STAND interactive classes. Like, I'm a pretty busy girl. I have a full time job, a reasonably active social life, and I want to do some lessons (especially for Violet, being my 7th year). And if they're interactive, I just can't keep up with it and then I just let my characters down. I am much happier to just do one standard post in a lesson, get the credit from that, and move on to the next lesson. I can't post up to four times in a lesson because I just forget about it and don't have the time, and if I'm late to that class, for example, I feel like I can't post joining in because most of the class has been RPed without me. Kind of defeats the purpose of makeup work later on. If I miss a week or two due to RL, I want to be able to do the posts in the make-up work section as I would in the normal class without too much hassle.

So yeah. That's my feelings on the matter. tl;dr, KISS. Keep it simple, stupid! ;) :p

Thank you all for your replies. :) I'm sure professors will take your feedback in to consideration when determining how to run their classes. ^_^

I am archiving this feedback topic now - but do remember we welcome any feedback to be posted in this forum, and we'll be sure to read it and respond to you about it somehow. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back