In the light of Day

"Yeah it was," He said remembering a childhood in which he wasn't allowed to mention his Dad. "There were a lot of good things about my dad and she's the only person I have to keep his memory alive and not even being able to mention his name his hard. I feel like everyday that goes by without talking about him to someone who knew him a part of him slips away from me. I fear one day I'll wake up and not remember his face," This was likely to happen as his mother had boxed away all photos of his father and hadn't told him where they were.

Isabella learned the whole extent of how hard it must have been for Oliver growing up as he told her more about the situation. "I'm so sorry Oliver that's awful." She knew how hard that must have been she kinda knew how it was, she had never seen her mothers face but she wished she could just once so she knew what she looked like. Isabella knew her dad didn't like talking about her mom and he hardly ever did, but to not talk about her at all. She knew that must be so hard and she could understand Oliver's fear of forgetting his father.

"It's ok, I'm not looking for sympathy, I've made my piece with how my mother is. I may forget his face but I'll never forget him," He said forcing a smile. Despite making his piece with his father's passing years ago he had never talked about him to such an extent before and it was beginning to take its toll. "Do you mind if we change the subject?" He ask as he ran his fingers through the flowers Bella had created. "Talking about him is affecting me in a way I didn't think it would," He said quietly all the while maintaining a weak smile in an attempt to fool Bella. He hadn't known her long enough to be completely forward with his feelings.

Isabella hadn't meant to bring up and bad feelings or anything and could see it was affecting him. Yelling at herself for even bringing it up she was glad when he asked for a change of subject. "Yeah of course, I didn't mean to bring up any bad feelings." Oliver was still smiling but she knew that he was smiling for her. He didn't want her to know how it had affected him. "So so you like quidditch?" Quidditch was something that Isabella had been wanting to learn more about. Her brother hadn't played in school but he said he had watched. It was played on brooms and there were four balls. It sounded really complicated, but overall very fun.

"Don't worry about it," He said, his forced smile still holding strong. "I didn't know myself that the topic would upset me so you weren't to know," Just as Oliver hoped Bella changed the subject and to his delight it was something he could work with. Quidditch. "Yes, I love Quidditch. I'm a Falmouth Falcons fan myself. I wasn't going to change my team just because I'm on the other side of the world, Falcons till I die," He chanted. Oliver's forced, fake smile was rapidly becoming more genuine as they talked about something happier and something that Oliver loved. "In fact, I'm a alternate player on my house team. Hoping to make the first team at some point, Keeper hopefully," He beamed at Bella, sometimes the hope of making the first team was the only thing that kept him going while he was only an alternate.

Isabella nodded when Oliver said that she couldn't have known. When Oliver said he loved Quidditch she smiled, glad that they were back to something good to talk about. She laughed a little when he said he was a falcons fan even though he had moved. "I don't have a team yet being as I've just learned about the sport but I'm sure I will find one soon." Oliver said that he was an alternate player and she grinned, "Really? That is so cool. I'm sure you'll make it onto the starter team." She smiled at Oliver. She had been thinking of trying out for quidditch her second year depending on how first year flying went. She was athletic when it came to swimming and dance, so she figured she might be good at flying. She hoped so anyways.

Oliver grinned, "It really is the best sport, I recommend supporting a local team, you don't wanna seem like a glory supporter or anything," He said thinking of the thousands of people who became Tornadoes fans after they'd one the league a few years back. "Playing it so much better, I really hope I make the full squad it'll be so cool. Maybe you could try out for your house team, you'll have to wait a year to do it though, but I guess you can take that time to learn about the sport and see how its played. I tell you there's nothing like the atmosphere at a Quidditch game. Ravenclaw v Hufflepuff is just the highlight of the year. At least for us," He said grinning.

Isabella nodded when Oliver said it was better to support a local team. She knew with other sports people just switched teams depending on who was having a better season. "Yeah you should pick one and stick with it, like you." She smiled thinking of how he had stayed loyal to his team even though he had moved. "Yeah I'll have plenty of time to learn the sport and practice flying. I hope I'm good enough to try out by time my second year comes around." She smiled thinking of what it would be like to be on the Quidditch team. She thought it would be wonderful and hoped that it might be possible for her someday. She laughed a little when Oliver said that the highlight of the year was the Ravenclaw vs. Hufflepuff match. "I'm sure it gets pretty exciting." She wondered how competitive it got and figured she would just have to wait and see.

Oliver had lost track of time, for all he knew he had been here all day talking to Bella and it seemed that he was right as he noticed that it was starting to get dark and dusk was starting to fall. "Hey Bella, it's getting late maybe we should head home," He said as he turned his attention from the setting sun back to Bella. "What do you think?" He said slipping his hands into his pockets. The truth was he didn't want to leave but with his mum's condition he had already been out longer than he would have liked to have been. Of course he hadn't counted on meeting someone and making a friend.

OOCOut of Character:
So I was thinking we could bring this topic to a steady close and start a new one. What do you think?

Isabella had taken no notice to the time that had passed but when Oliver mentioned it was getting late she looked up at the sky and saw the sun starting to set. "I think your right, I didn't realize it was getting so late." She knew her brothers wouldn't mind. It wouldn't be the first time she had been out until dark. It was actually pretty normal for her, something always seemed to happen to keep her away from home. It probably had something to do with the people she met and the situations she got herself into but wither way she liked meeting new people and was always open to adventure. "I should probably get going." She stood up taking one last look at the beautiful flowers she had created by accident. They were starting to close. She was slightly upset to leave them but wondered if she would be able to find this spot again some other time. 'And maybe the flowers will spread.' She smiled at the thought, she might have made a start to a meadow.

OOCOut of Character:
Sounds good :)

Oliver didn't really want to go but it was late, the sun had almost set and darkness was beginning to descend. "Until next time," He smiled. Turning slightly away from her, admiring the flowers she had created once again. He hoped that he would see her again soon. If all else failed there would be Hogwarts but he hoped he would see her again before that as the beginning of the next school year was a long way off. He realised he could't hang around all day to watch her leave so reluctantly he turned his back from her and he set off over the hill he had come from towards his home. No doubt his overly nervous mother would be waiting for him, already panicking about the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back