I Make My Own Fate

Mallory smiled as the girl spoke. "I do. One of the few things I enjoyed growing up was tutoring my siblings. I feel fulfilled here. The classes, the extra lessons, like with you. I enjoy watching my students learn and grow as individuals." Mallory chuckled and sipped her tea. "Tell me, Celia, have you thought of what you want to be when you graduate?" She asked.

Celia wasn't sure that she could ever understand the appeal of teaching, especially teaching teenagers, but it seemed that Professor Corrins was genuinely happy with her decision. At the woman's question, she nodded. She had a fifteen-year plan, and while learning she had to attend a magical school in New Zealand had thrown a wrench in some of those plans, Celia was determined to get her life back on track. "I want to do something in government before transitioning into politics. I'm just not sure yet if I want to start off in law or diplomacy." There were pros and cons to both, and she knew she'd end up taking whichever path got her to her ultimate goal of federal elected official faster. It was a good thing she still had a lot of time to decide. After Hogwarts, she still had college and then grad school.

Jordie is absolutely not here

Mallory smiled as she listened to Celia speaking, and nodded along at her words. "Well, that's certainly a wonderful plan." Mallory had taken classes when she was sixteen, her father making sure his children were educated in politics and in law, among many things. "I can help you to study if you'd like. I might not be the most advanced, but I do have some basic knowledge of it. I could get some materials in, and next year if you'd like we can have some beginning lessons while you're here. Give you a feel for things." Mallory offered, thinking she could help Celia a bit more.

Celia was glad Professor Corrins took her seriously (or at least pretended to do so). The offer to help her study was a surprise, though not an unwelcome one. Celia technically didn't need the help. Social studies had always been her strongest subject, but she wasn't about to turn down this offer. Besides, it would be interesting to learn more about Russian or New Zealand politics, given that she was hoping to do something with international relations. "That would be great, thank you." She hesitated before asking, "Do you think you could also get in materials for other subjects? Like math?" It was always a risk revealing her ties to the muggle world, but Professor Corrins didn't strike her as someone who believed in blood prejudice. And if she was called out on it, she could always claim she meant Arithmancy. "You don't need to tutor me or anything. I just need textbooks." Celia had been planning to reserve all her muggle schoolwork for the breaks, but it would be nice to be able to get a head start on some of it during the school year.

Mallory pulled a parchment over and took a few quick notes. "Sure! I wouldn't mind picking up a few texts. It might be a good idea to have a bit of a study here, keep texts for students wanting to learn more outside of school," She smiled at Celia, shifting the parchment and quill over to her. "Go ahead and write down anything you'd like me to grab for you," She offered. It would take a little bit of doing but she could handle that.

Celia couldn't help but feel a little relieved that Professor Corrins didn't think it strange that she wanted to study muggle subjects. Her smile widened when the professor mentioned keeping the texts in her office. She hadn't dared bring any of her muggle schoolwork to Hogwarts. The potential that someone could find it was too high, especially since she lived in the one house notorious for its blood prejudice. She wouldn't have to worry about that if she could just study in Professor Corrins' office. Celia took the parchment and quill and jotted down some texts, enough to take her through third year, before passing it back. "Thanks for doing this. If you can't find some of them, that's fine. Anything you can get will be really helpful." she said with a genuinely grateful smile.

Mallory smiled back at Celia, setting the parchment aside for the time being and wrapping her hands around her tea cup. "Of course, Celia." She sipped her tea. "This is part of why I chose this job. I enjoy helping students that truly care, like you, to thrive. I want you to be able to succeed, to find your dreams."

Mallory sighed, setting her tea down. "Of course, there are down sides. Most of the staff is almost twice my age. I've had students fall asleep in class, I've had notes telling me how stupid my classes are, I've had students refuse to participate in lessons." She smiled gently, tucking her hair behind her ear. "But honestly, seeing you so excited for the extra lessons reminds me why I wanted this position."

Celia couldn't help but think it was a little sad to spend all your time helping others achieve their dreams instead of your own. But maybe teaching really was Professor Corrins' dream. It wasn't something Celia would ever understand, but it also wasn't her life. Her eyes widened when Professor Corrins continued to speak, revealing issues with the other staff and students. It wasn't quite "disowned heiress" levels of gossip, but it was still pretty good.

"Wow, that's so rude," she said, giving the woman a sympathetic look. Honestly, Celia wasn't that surprised. Professor Corrins was a good instructor during these extra lessons, but her classes were pretty basic. Of course, that was likely the fault of whoever set the school curriculum, but Professor Corrins' soft-spoken manner and sappy tendencies didn't really help. "I've noticed something similar in a lot of my other classes. People are always falling asleep and forgetting their homework." It was strange, talking to a professor like an equal. But Celia liked it. "I don't think a lot of kids here actually care about school." It was certainly a far cry from her old school, where the expectation was that academics mattered and where most students were planning on applying to one of the city's exclusive exam schools.

Mallory laughed lightly. "You're right," She sipped her tea. "It's not often you see students that truly care about their studies. But its nice when they do," She smiled. "I can't dedicate my time to changing the minds of students that care. But I can spend my time nurturing the ones that want more." She smiled and poured herself another cup of tea. "Would you care for more tea?" She asked.

Celia returned the smile. She knew that if any of her classmates overheard this conversation, she would be labelled a nerd or a loser. That's why she had been so careful to hide her studying. So it felt nice to finally be honest about her ambitions with someone — even if that someone was a professor. "That must be rewarding, helping others," Celia remarked, mostly because it felt like the right thing to say, not because she actually meant it. She finished her tea and shook her head at Professor Corrins' offer. "I think I'm good, thank you. I should probably get going. I don't want to take up any more of your time." Celia gently set the cup down and stood up. "Thanks for the tea and the lesson," she said with a smile.

Mallory blinked as Celia stood, glancing to the time. "Oh, right, of course," She turned back to the girl, standing herself. "It was my pleasure, darling. I'll see you next time then?" Mallory picked up the empty tea cups. Time really did seem to fly sometimes. She wished Celia well, cleaning the cups with a flick of her wand and putting them away neatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back