OOC First Name
Camilla
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Wand
Curved 12.5" Swishy Vine Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Renata was actually a little nervous about the Yule Ball. She was excited, of course - she really liked the atmosphere of it, she had fun dancing, the food was always great, it was a really nice lead in to her birthday and Christmas. But she felt bad for being excited at the same time, somehow. Like how she felt bad for being proud of herself for scoring so many goals in the quidditch game when they still lost. She felt awkward for being excited about the ball when she'd had to gently hurt her best friend. She'd genuinely failed to realize Sky had any sort of crush on her, and she didn't want her to feel bad when she danced with someone else. That someone else specifically being Eugene. Sure, Renata may have had a little bit of a crush on him in turn, but she didn't think it would go anywhere. If he even did feel the same, he had too much going on in his life, and she was more than happy just to be liked as a friend. She'd be greedy if she wanted anything more. Her mother had already given her a hard time when she'd asked to borrow one of her old dresses for the ball. Another reason she was nervous - it wasn't as though she had the ability to have the nicest and newest dresses. She just had to make the best of what her mother would let her borrow and hope she could look nice enough. She was sure Gwen would probably disapprove. But the worries seemed to slowly fade as she wandered into the hall, taking in the summery theme and being caught up in the bright and happy atmosphere of the evening.

Eugene was actually a little nervous about the Yule ball. The dance had never meant much to him other than just something that was good fun with friends, and also something that was work. Hiding behind a camera at most of his school dances had given him something to do and distract from the fact that his outfit wasn't ever…as good as other people's. The outfits he wore weren't exactly like the slick suits his dorm mates wore. But it had never mattered. Now, it perhaps did a little. He wanted to look nice enough, and had gotten with some spare money an actual suit. It was old, didn't quite fit Eugene's slightly smaller frame, but he'd grow into it…and it was better than just wearing his school shirt and trousers.

Eugene adjusted the tie slightly, he had been in the hall as he was always for a little longer than he needed to. He had a team who could step in and help out, he didn't need to be at the ball for all of it, but once he'd been ready there had been nothing else for him to do. But now and after a little while he knew he should stop. If only because he immediately spotted Renata entering the hall. Not that he'd been looking out for her arrival (just that he absolutely had). Eugene placed his camera into the pocket which was magicked to be bigger on the inside and walked over to her. ”Hey,” he greeted with a warm smile as he approached her, with his nerves suddenly spiking up. ”You look nice,” he settled upon saying.

Truthfully, Renata had probably spent far too long trying to make herself look nice, hoping that she was some approximation of pretty. She knew she'd never be as glamourous as most of the other girls, just trying to use what she had and make it work for her. If she was being completely honest with herself, which was a new feeling she was experimenting with of late, the outfits didn't matter nearly as much as the company. Of course, admitting that out loud would tank her social life. And yet, when she saw Eugene, that suddenly didn't matter. A huge smile crossed her face when she saw him. The suit didn't quite fit him, but Renata thought he looked pretty great anyway. It wasn't as though her dress really fit her that well, despite her nonna's best efforts. "Hey!" she said, brightly, a pink tinge crossing her cheeks at the compliment. "You look nice, too," she replied, hoping that wasn't too weird to say. "How's the night going? No disasters with the yearbook?"

Eugene gave a shy nod to the compliment she returned, it wasn't something people usually said about his outfits, truly because this was the fanciest he'd ever been and it really wasn't that fancy. Just more so than his usual. Eugene moved his gaze around the room for a moment and then back to her. "None yet, I'm a little worried we'll develop all the pictures and there will ghosts blocking the view in every single one, ghosts we can't currently see," he joked lightly. Eugene gave a warm smile as he looked back at Renata. "Hows your night going?" Eugene asked returning the question to her just seemed like the polite thing to do. He knew too if it was going badly he'd be able to hopefully try to make it better.

Renata was about to add something along the lines of 'but you always look nice' but thought that might have been a bit too much, so she instead swayed a little on the spot to the music, her cheeks staying flushed as she did. Hopefully the lighting wouldn't make it too obvious, but it was pretty bright and cheerful in here. She giggled at his comment about ghosts, shaking her head. "If there are ghosts they are a little late for Halloween. But maybe they wanted to have a beach party." It was such an absurd thought, even for a wizarding school, that Renata couldn't help but relax. "It's okay. I took a bit of a while getting ready...I hope you weren't waiting too long?" Of course, with Eugene working on the yearbook, it wasn't as though they had any real plans for the ball, aside from a promised dance. "My dancing is...not that much better than before."

Eugene smiled at her laugh, letting out a little laugh with her. ”Maybe they did,” he agreed. The ghosts being a part of this world was still one of the weirder parts of the magical world, but he was rather used to the ones they could see. ”You look really nice,” Eugene told her, he wasn't sure why, but hearing that it had taken, and he wouldn't have thought it was, and just wanted to show he appreciated her, that it had been worth it. ”I'd have waited all night for you Renata,” he said with a level of sincerity in his tone and thought it was immediately too much. He held out his hand to her, ”I'll be the judge of that,” he smiled. He did like dancing with her.

Renata supposed it would be kind of weird to go into a world where ghosts were real. She hadn't seen too many, but if her great-grandfather was a ghost haunting the old family home she wouldn't have been too shocked. She felt a great pang of nervousness as he complimented her again, her heart fluttering a little as she tried to think of something clever or interesting to say. Or appropriate. She just settled on a quiet "thank you," as her face heated up, especially with his follow up comment. She could practically hear her heartbeat in her head, no mean feat considering the general noise of the hall. All she could really do was take his hand, hoping he didn't notice how nervous she was. "I hope I get a passing grade," she joked, moving to start dancing and letting the music carry her along.

Eugene gave a little smile to her, glanced down as she took his hand. He glanced back up at her as he squeezed her hand lightly. "I'm sure you will. Remember we did agree that dancing wasn't one of my talents too," At the very least hoping that she didn't feel as much pressure to be good or that she had to be a good dancer. It did help that he'd danced with her before, and he knew that she was a good dancer, by his own metrics, perhaps others would disagree. He let the music carry it, and began dancing lightly with her to the music. It was, like other occasions, nice. Dancing with her was simple, and he didn't need to think too hard about it.

Renata shook her head, laughing a little. "I think you're a great dancer. But, you're pretty great at everything," she offered, looking down at her feet for a second as she said it. Was that too much? She wasn't entirely sure. She squeezed his hand gently in return, before looking back up at him with a soft smile. It didn't really matter whether or not they danced well, they danced competently enough that Renata could easily say she was having a fun time. "Are you looking forward to the break? I mean, I guess you'll be working, but it will be nice to have a break from schoolwork, yes?"

Eugene gave a little laugh, he certainly didn't think he was pretty great at everything. He felt he'd just stumbled backwards into a few things he was good at, and that was all Renata saw. ”Well, I am planning to be a jack of all trades when I leave school. Forget music,” he joked with her. He danced with her, enjoying the music as they moved. ”Yeah, I do think the break will hit, and I'll, like, get immediately a cold,” he said with a little laugh. ”Like cutting out a treadmill mid-step,” he had so much to do constantly, that having periods of time with nothing was going to be interest. ”How about you?”

Renata laughed, she knew Eugene would be a great musician when he left school because he was talented, but more importantly dedicated and hard working and loved music. She wasn't at all sure what she'd do. Probably still wait tables at her parents restaurant. Secretly, she thought maybe she could really have a go at Quidditch and maybe a team would have her on, even as an alternate, but she wasn't sure she was ready to admit that out loud. Especially not to her family, who would likely think she was being unrealistic, or selfish. "I hope you don't get a cold," she said, sincerely. "I'll have to bring you soup if you do." That was a little presumptuous, she thought, blushing. "Um, I think it'll be nice. I'll be eating a lot. I might have a hard time getting on a broom after Christmas lunch," Renata joked, grinning. She moved along to the music, feeling equally nervous yet strangely comfortable and reassured dancing with Eugene.

Eugene nodded in agreement, "You and me both," he said. He just felt like it would happen. That he would end up getting sick. It wouldn't be fun, but at least it seemed that if he was, his friends would be there for him. "I'd like that, if I end up sick," he replied laughing slightly, since his words weren't the most coherent. He gave a little smile. "What's your favourite Christmas dish?" he asked, sure that it would be soemthing interesting, and he always wanted to know more about Renata and her life.

Renata couldn't help but smile, it felt like it came especially easily when she hung out with Eugene. She'd probably smiled more in the past eighteen months than she had in her entire life beforehand, which was equal parts nice and a little bit sad. "Let's hope you don't, but if you need me you only have to ask," she said, blushing a little as she did. If any of her friends needed her she'd drop everything for them, though she knew she couldn't offer much. Renata paused for a moment, thinking. "It'll sound really weird, but...eels." Renata shrugged, making a couple of careful steps. "It's...kind of tradition in my family to have them on Christmas Eve. I think it's a Naples thing. And, um, since that's also my birthday, I guess when I think of December 24 I think of capitone. Though, cakes are probably nicer," she added, giggling. "Do you do anything special for it?" she asked, wanting to know more about Eugene and his life in turn.

Certainly Eugene was hopefully that if he wanted to spend time with Renata over the break, it wouldn't be because he'd fallen sick, but it was nice to be reassured to know he had friends like Renata. “Same to you,” he returned, since he would drop everything for her as she would for him. Eugene frowned slightly as Renata prefaced her answer to his question with saying it was really weird. He wasn't sure what it could be, but eels hadn't been the answer he'd expected. He couldn't help but laugh lightly, and nod eagerly, listening to what she was saying about it. The hufflepuff made a mental note to get her a present for her birthday. Maybe he could get more tea for her. Eugene slowed his dancing down as she returned the question, and he considered how to answer.

“Not to bring the mood down, but when my mum was still alive, she was a waitress at a restaurant who were open on Christmas, and we'd usually feast once the place closed. It was nice. The chefs always gave me extra of everything. I'd be so full, she'd always carry me home,” Eugene spoke with a soft and fond tone. He missed her deeply, every day. “My cousin and I are often pretty broke at Christmas, so when I go home for it, we often go carol singing and buy something for each other with the money we get,” Eugene gave a little laugh. “Sorry,” he spoke lightly with a little laugh. He didn't want Renata to feel bad for asking, or sorry for him and his lack of anything special. Hoping the light apology would make things a little better, but he had just wanted to be honest with her.

Renata was relieved Eugene didn't seem totally put off by her answer. Different countries had lots of different traditions for celebrations and Renata always found them interesting. Sometimes, in more selfish moments, she felt a little annoyed about sharing her birthday with Christmas, as she would typically just get one present for both, but she was really just grateful to get something. They didn't have a lot, so she never got anything big, but they'd still have a nice time.

Instinctively, Renata stepped closer, embracing Eugene warmly and reassuringly. She quickly realized it was probably too much and gave him back that little bit of space, her face redder than before. "Sorry, I hope that wasn't, er, uncomfortable..." she stammered, swallowing and trying to compose herself. It had felt really nice, for her at least. "That sounds like it was really wonderful," she said, earnestly. She thought that Eugene's mum must have been a beautiful person. "Um, if you and your cousin wanted, you could come have lunch at my family's place? They open on Christmas Day...uh, only if you were comfortable with it, a-and you don't have to feel obligated or anything, just, you know, an invitation that is always open." Now she was just worried she was really ruining it. She hoped he didn't think she was pitying him or anything like that.

Eugene was a little surprised by her embrace, and before he could return it, she'd pulled away. ”Oh, no, it wasn't,” Eugene replied with a little smile, it had been surprising but not exactly bad. It hadn't been at all. He knew things with Renata were different from with his other friends. He couldn't quite pinpoint the why of it, but it didn't matter. Renata was just cool and he liked her. The offer, her offer was kind, and he thought it could be nice, a way to make new christmas memories, like he hadn't gotten to do in a while.

”Yeah? You wouldn't mind? My cousin is muggle,” he wasn't sure if that would be an issue but the idea of seeing Renata of a meal on Christmas, and he could work to afford it, pull all the hours he was allowed. ”I haven't spent Christmas with my cousin since I came to school, it was cheaper. But since I'm working…it could be really nice and I'd give my cousin a treat,” He thought it would be nice, to pay her back in a meal on Christmas for all the years she'd given up for him. ”I'll get you a great birthday and christmas present” It was nice of Renata to offer and he'd be sure to at least not turn up empty handed.

Renata was almost surprised that Eugene didn't turn her down outright, and was not one to hide her joy at that. She shook her head with a smile at the comment about his cousin. "My grandparents are muggleborn, they like to stay connected to the muggle world," she explained. Her nonno had all sorts of tech set up in his designated non-magical studio, it was very dated probably but it was something he took joy in. Especially music. "Plus, they're all musical, they'll adore you," she blurted, though she now felt like she was second guessing herself, embarrassed by saying maybe too much or making things weird. "You don't have to get me anything, really, I'd be happy enough just having you there...a-and it would be cool to meet your cousin, she sounds really great!" She felt lightheaded, but she knew she was being silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back