I have to tell you something

Riley Smith

The curtains were closed casting a dark shadow in the room. It was cold, ll the windows in the apartment were open allowing a icy breeze roam around. Despite the cold and the dark Riley could barely feel it. He could barely feel anything for that matter. He was just sat in the corner of his room on his bed. His boy still, lifeless as he looked towards the wall but his mind in other things. Things like the events of a few nights ago. He had not been home since then and he had no seen or spoke to anyone since then either. It had been a real shock to him and now h had to deal with it. He now had a incurable condition. He had taught how to defend against werewolves in his classes but he had never imagined en for a split second that he would ever become one. He guessed it was what he go when he walked around a woods on a full moon. At least he was still alive, if he had not had his wand on his then he wouldn't have been here now.

He was quickly bought back to the real world a his stomach rumbled. If there was one thing that ha not changed it was hi monster apatite. He slowly slid off the bed and glumly walked in to the kitchen. He didn't want to make anything so something quick was on his mind. He looked in the cupboards and sighed as he took out a pocket of roast chicken crisps. Not amazing but it would do for now. He went over to a window and felt a cold breeze engulf him. Again he just felt like he hardly felt it. His biggest fear above them all was Adele. How would she react to him being a Werewolf now. Would she think he was a monster and take Lowan away from him. Or would she think indifferent. He needed to talk to her, but when. Sooner, before he had come to terms with it himself or wait until he cold get used to it himself. His head pounded with pain as he thought. His whole boy hurt.

Cyndi Weasley didn't get around to going home much during the semester, but on occasion she did like to head back, just to make sure the apartment was alright. Her biggest fear was to one day return home and discover that it was broken in to. She knew that someone breaking in was highly unlikely for two reasons. The first was that the building that she and Riley lived in was super safe. The most dangerous thing that had happened in the building was the wild party that their neighbor two doors down had thrown over the winter. The second reason was that Riley was the Defense professor at the school, and because of it, he had placed a charm on the apartment to protect it from intruders. It was as safe as a fortress. It was time that she got around to visiting the cats as well. They seemed to be especially happy that Riley had moved back in because they were now reunited, even though all they did was sleep side-by-side. It was still pretty cute to watch.

As she used her wand to release the lock and pushed the door open, Cyndi was immediately aware that the apartment was cold. It was springtime, but the weather was still pretty chilly and today it was especially cold and dark. She held on to her wand as she edged into the apartment slowly. Both of the windows in their living room were open, and the curtains were blowing madly. She waved her wand, shutting the windows and allowing the silence to recapture the room. "Riley...are you home?" she asked loudly, and then realized that it was probably a bad thing to have done. If it turned out that someone other than Riley was in the apartment, she'd just announced to the person that she was now in the apartment. Her non-wand hand, she realized was still on the doorknob, and she waited, listening for any sign that someone was inside. Finally, she heard something in the kitchen and she slowly, cautiously walked that way, her wand held tightly in her hand, ready to be used in a moment.

Riley popped a crisp in to his mouth although he could really taste the flavour much. Kind of like eating cardboard, although why he would know what cardboard tasted like was beyond him. He sighed and placed the packet on to the side and leant his elbows on the hard surface he stuck his head in his hands. He hated his life right now. He had had the perfect life a few months ago. The perfect girl friend. The perfect son and a good job. Not to mention a super healthy social life. Why had he switched lives with mark. His cousin seemed to be a lot happier now with his life. He groaned. If he was totally truthful than he would g as far as to say that he was a little bit jealous of him. He knew that was selfish of him but it was true.

Looking up and across as he heard the door open and close he passed it off it just being Cyndi. It wasn't about to be a muggle that was for sure. His suspicions were shown to be true as he heard her voice call out. Her voice was so welcoming to him. It always was. She was always the only person he wanted to talk to about anything. He trusted her more than anyone. "In here." He said in a horse. He had not had a drink in a while. He had not rally had anything in a few days. His eyes landed on her wand as she entered the room. He didnt comment but then he ddnt really have too his face probably said it all. e had never been good at acting

Cyndi let out a huge breath when she heard Riley answer her from the kitchen. She didn't even realize she'd been holding out, and now that she realized it was only Riley in the house and he was the one who had the windows all thrown open, she could her heart beating madly in her chest. Rolling her eyes at her own paranoia, she entered the kitchen. It was only when she entered and saw Riley staring down at her wand that she noticed that it was still raised, and she quickly stowed it away.

As she looked at him, she could tell that there was something wrong with Riley. She didn't know exactly what it was, but she figured it probably had something to do with Adele. She knew that Riley missed her just like she missed him, but something it wasn't enough to deal with the issue. "It's freezing in this place. Why do you have all the windows open, Ril?" she asked as she went over to their fridge and opened the door, taking out a bottle of water for herself and one for Riley. Now that she was done being afraid of intruders, she was pretty thirsty. She turned to face her roommate and hopped up onto the counter, taking a seat on the tiled surface as she held out a bottle for her friend. "Are you ok? What did Adele do now?" she asked. She didn't push for him to tell her, knowing that he would in a few moments. There wasn't much that the two kept from each other.

A shrug was all he answered her question with. He had not really noticed that all the windows had been open, then again he wasn't naturally a very observant person. It didn't help that he as very dumb to the temperature any way. He could walk around in a T-shirt in the winter and be fine. He reached out and took the bottle of water that Cyndi ha offered him. Opening he lid and taking a sip, the coldness of the liquid made him cringe but he was thankful for the quenching of his overly dry mouth. What would he say to her? He was worried about how she would react to him. Of course Hogwarts had its fair share of werewolves but he was her room mate and best friend. Maybe she would think him a dangerous monster.

Placing the bottle back down on he table he gripped the edge with his and as he thought. his was not the sort of thing he had ever pictured himself saying so is mind was really at a total loss. "I wish it was Adele. I really do. At least that wouldn't effect the rest of my life like this." He said sitting down, fearing he would probably end up on the floor if he stayed standing. He put his head in his hands and clenched his teeth together. "Why is my life so complicated now. It was so good a few months ago and now look at it." He manage to struggle out. He was a little lost for words right now.

Cyndi rubbed her shoulders with her hands, trying to warm her body up. After a moment, she took out her wand and placed a hot air charm on herself as she waited for Riley to speak. He was hardly ever too cold, but she was the opposite. As she took a sip of her water, she looked over at Riley, watching his face for any sign of what was bothering him. It was hard to figure out, but he looked upset as if he hadn't really been sleeping much at all.

She was surprised to hear that it wasn't Adele who had done anything after all, and that caused her eyebrows to raise. If it wasn't her, what was it then? She frowned slightly, regarding his words as she watched her friend take a seat at their kitchen table. Effect the rest of your life? she mouthed silently. Hopping off the counter, Cyndi went over to Riley and rested her hands on his shoulders. She looked down at him, worried because Riley was usually the one to keep his calm and pull her through whatever was bothering her. Seeing him with his head hanging down and looking so upset made her anxious. "Talk to me, Ril. If it isn't Adele, what is then?" She certainly had no clue what it was, but it seemed pretty serious.

Riley sniffed. He could feel himself slipping he just wanted to go somewhere dark and cry where no one could see him, but Riley, even with everything that was happening, liked to look brave and not like a wimp. He cleared his throat and concerntrated hard. He thought about wording his next sentence. He couldnt think though his mind was blocked after thinking about to many things already. He sighed before sitting up as he felt Cyndi's hands on his shoulders. He felt better under her touch, it kind of gave him a bit more confidence. Knowing that she was here for him and that she cared for him. only time would tell if she would feel the same way towards him in a few moments time once he had told her the situation with him.

Taking a deep breath Riley decided to just be out with it so he said. "The other night i wanted to go for a walk. You know i like woods and places like that. Well when i was walking i crossed paths with a urm werewolf." He said before stopping. He didnt think he needed to continue. He knew his friend well and knew that she was smart. Smarter than him. "Do I really need to continue?" He said clenching his teeth together and swalling again as another lump formed in his thoat at the memory. It had all happened so fast and it just seemed like a blur to him right now.

If she wasn't mistaken, Cyndi could have sworn that Riley was on the verge of tears. She waited, with bated breath, for what he had to say. When she heard the word werewolf, she took in a sharp breath. She often went for walks late at night and hearing that he had come across a werewolf sent her heart beating like mad. Cyndi shook her head when Riley kept his head down. No, he did not have to continue. She knew exactly where this story would lead. "Oh, Riley...Where did it bite you?" she asked in a near whisper.

Cyndi couldn't help but wonder if the werewolf that was roaming free was Andromeda. No one had heard from her in months and Cyndi was beyond worried about her friend. Andy would never do that, she berated herself silently. Andy took her wolfsbane potion diligently. Still, she'd never thought Andy would disappear either. Turning her attention back to Riley who seemed to be waiting for some sort of reaction from her, Cyndi moved towards the empty seat beside him and pulled it closer to Riley before sitting down. She stood silent for a few moments, not from fear but because she was thinking. Midnight roamed into the kitchen then, but she wouldn't get too close as she eyed Riley warily. "Have you figured out where you're going to be getting your wolfsbane from?" she asked, matter of factly. Sure, she was upset about hearing that her friend was now a werewolf, but she also wanted to help him and have him know that she would always be there for him.

Riley concentrated on his breathing. In....out....in...out. It meant tat he wouldn't stop and that he would be able to control himself. He knew that he was probably acting over the top bout this but he couldn't help it. Maybe if this had happened before he already had a load of problems then yeah fine he could have dealt with it, but no it had come at the worst time ever for him. "Well I was quick to defend myself so it didn't do too much damage, then again they don't have to do they. Just peircing your skin lightly will have the same effect right." He said, his voice almost a whisper like her was too. "It got me on the side." He said lifting his shirt on the left hand side with one hand. He revealed two puncher marks where the fangs had bore in to him and a few other scratches around it. He knew a spell or potion could get rid of them but he wanted to keep them. A reminder of what he was.

Letting go of his shirt he let it fall back down again. It was a huge relief to him that she had not freaked about this like e had feared she might. The cats however seemed to have a different reaction. Midnight was prowling, seeing f he was safe and whiskers seemed to be nowhere in sight. Probably hiding somewhere until told it was safe. As Cyndi spoke again Riley listened. He had not actually thought properly about where he would get it. "Urm I don't know. The castle maybe." He said unsure. If he really couldn't think about where to get it then there was always Ryan. He seemed to be able to get anything and as they had this thing where they would help each other out Riley was sure Ran could do this for him. "Where would you suggest?" He asked her curiously as he he looked to his side at her sat on a chair.

As she listened to Riley speak, Cyndi couldn't help but wonder whether or not he was trying to downplay the actual injury so he wouldn't have to show her. When she saw him lifting up his shirt, she braced herself for the wound. "Ouch" she hissed as she gazed at the wound, feeling her friend's pain. The telltale signs of the animal's fangs were there as well as several scratches from its claws. "Why haven't you or anyone else healed it?" she said, looking back at Riley's face. She was set to take her wand out and heal it for him even though she wasn't the greatest at healing charms.

Thinking over his question, Cyndi wondered where the best place was to get wolfsbane. She wasn't even really sure where Andromeda used to get hers. She figured one of the professors probably made it. "Maybe Blaze will make it for you" she shrugged. "If not there's always St. Mungo's." She squeezed his hand and then added, "Have you told anyone else?"

Riley nodded at her reaction. It didn't even came close to how it felt but at least she knew it hurt. One thing that he liked about being an adult was that in school you got those annoying people that think it would have been funny to poke you injury. "Yeah. Ouch." He said sighing as he shook his head at her next question. "There is no point. It wont change anything, im still a monster now. Besides I doesn't hurt too much. Its going to hurt more at the next full moon." He said shaking his head again at the thought. He didn't even think he knew anyone who was a werewolf so he had no idea about what to actually expect when he turned. He may have taught about werewolves but that was just defence against them. The last Werewolf was lucky, he had been the Care of Magical Creature Professor. He knew just what to do.

As Cyndi spoke to him again he nodded. "Yeah I know. l ask him later. If not then yeah Il just go to St. Mungo's. Or just make it myself I mean how hard can it be really?" He said. If he had the right ingredients and instructions he could make it, hopefully anyway. "No your the the first person I have told. I would have told you before anyone anyway. I always do." He said truthfully. She was more like family to him that a friend. He knew Adele would have to be the second.
[/small]

Cyndi shook her head. "You are not a monster. Well, maybe to Deputy Minister Hensel you are, but he's an idiot." She really hated that man and the fact that he wanted to do away with practically anyone who wasn't a pureblooded wizard. Nodding, she bit her lip. "When is the next full moon anyway?" she asked, wondering how long they'd have to prepare. Even if it was not too soon, Riley might not have enough time to find someone reliable to give him the potion he needed. It was a big problem.

"No way Ril. You cannot brew it yourself. Aside from the fact that it takes nearly a month to get ready, which you kind of don't have" she pointed out, "It's crazy complicated." Cyndi sat back and crossed her arms across her chest. There was no way she was going to let him take that risk. "I helped brew just a piece of it in my Potions class when I was in school and my f-" she stopped, about to say friend. She couldn't reveal her friend's secret to anyone. But, Andy and the professor who'd helped them had mentioned how difficult the potion was to make and what could happen if even one ingredient was off. She'd never concentrated so hard on a potion in her life. Shaking her head she continued. "You wouldn't want to risk making a mistake."

Riley scoffed at her comment. He thought of himself as one. May he and that Hensel guy shred the same view on this particular matter. He classed a monster as something which could kill or has killed something before. Seeing as Riley had killed someone before and is capable of doing so as a werewolf, he was a monster. "If left unaided I could kill someone as a wolf. That classes as a monster in my books." He said rubbing his eyes. He was so tired, he couldn't remember the last time he had properly slept. He shook his head. He actually didn't know when it was. Sure he would find out soon enough though, the had way mind. "I don't know. I do know that with regular Wolfsbane I wont phase unless im in direct view of the moon." He said to his best friend. At lease that was what he had heard, whether or not it was true was a totally different story Still he could always hope it was. Then again if he was hoping for anything it would be a mericle, one that involved him not going grrr in the moonlight.
He huffed at her as she said that he couldn't make it himself. Stupid potion. Taking too long to male and being so dam complicated. He thought sourly to himself, like a child not getting his own way. When he cut off in her conversation his eyes flashed up to her face. e was intrigued to what she was going to say. "You wanna finish that sentence?" He said as he locked eyes with her. If he had been a little less curious by nature than he wouldn't have mentioned it but that was not the case. "Ah well, you learn from your mistakes right. Merlin knows I have countess times." He said with a chuckle as he thought back to some of his past memories.

Cyndi pursed her lips, the disagreement written all over her face. Riley included she now knew a total of two werewolves and she wouldn't consider either one of them monsters. Even if it had been a while since she'd spoken with Andy, she could not imagine the girl doing anything to harm another. And, even with his temper, she didn't truly think that Riley would hurt anyone else. Perhaps she was naive or just truly believed in the goodness of others, but she really could not see it happening.

Shaking her head quickly when he asked if she wanted to finish her sentence, Cyndi continued. "Nope. But, we do need to figure this out soon. If you get the potion in you, you'll at least be able to keep your wits about you when you phase." She looked down at her hands as he continued speaking. She chuckled too, looking up at him again a moment later. "and lucky for you, you have me to help you fix 'em. Seriously, what would you do without me Riley Smith?"

Rolling his eyes at her face. She obviously disagreed with him but it was really only his pinion abut himself that mattered right now. He was the one who would be forced to live with the condition for the rest of his life. He sighed at the thought. It just seemed like such a long time to him. The rest of his life. His life was just starting as well. Typical. He thought to himself as he leant back on his chair to look at her.

Another sigh escaping him as she stated the obvious. Of course he had to figure this out soon. He would do it, just in his own time which was cut short to the next few weeks. He hated time limits. "Yeah I know that much. Il get the potion before the next full moon don't worry." He said waving a hand casually like this was no worry to him at all. His mood ha defiantly lightened since Cyndi had shown up. "Thats Professor Riley Smith." He joked nudging her side like he usually did after cracking a joke. He was just trying to be himself now. "Probably crash and burn." He said with a weak smile on his face

Cyndi kept her gaze narrow as she looked at her friend, waiting for him to continue the argument that he was a monster. She realized that this was one of those times where they would simply have to agree to disagree because there was no way that she was going to admit he was a monster. He wasn't and that was that. Sure, there were bound to be wizards who were evil when they transformed into werewolves, but that didn't make every werewolf a monster. Finally, she relaxed, realizing that he was going to take care of his potion situation.

With a smirk, she replied, "Oh excuse me! Professor Smith." Cyndi chuckled. Her friend was really something else, but he was her rock. The one who kept her sane when it seemed like the rest of the world was threatening to do otherwise. He gave her what she sorely missed from her dorm four girls and Estrella back when she'd been in school and lived with them. Now, they saw each other only on occasion but not nearly often enough. "Without me, you'd probably still be the crazy teenager I met years ago" she snorted, giving him a light smack on the arm. "And, you'd be dating nothing but psychos. You know I scare away all the crazy ones for you..."

Riley's breathing was level. His muscles felt tight though, that was probably due to the lack of work they had ha for the past few days. He needed to start working out again soon. He had just been a little pre occupied for obvious reasons. Decided to stand up he grabbed a glass from the rack and filled it with water and took a sip. He never had water usually but it was the quickest thing he could have and no to mention it was less effort for him right now which was the main reason he had done it. He wasn't in the mood for strenuous exercise now. The cold water felt strange as it slid down his throat. The condensation dripping don the glass was making his and cold but he didn't care he was thirsty.
He laughed out loud at Cyndi's reply. "Don't worry I forgive you." He said winking playfully at her. He didn't really like being addressed as Professor but it was necessary to keep up that respect in is class room. Once he was out of the class he was just his usual self again. "Years ago? No that long go sheesh. Only like.....3 years ago." He said with a chuckle. Time had certainly moved quick between the two. It only felt like yesterday that he ad helped her carry her shopping home and had to use floo powder because he hadn't been able to apperate then. He sighed. Back in the good old days. "Well you know what they say about psycho girl." He said said biting his bottom lip and raising both eye brows in a suggestive way. "Great in the bedroom." He joked. He never really dated girls like that. He liked girls that he could talk to easily. Although he had to admit he had been with a few girls an said little mpre than a sentence to them

Cyndi was glad that even if things were crazy, she and Riley could still laugh. Sometimes, that alone was worth more than anything. "Phew!" she exclaimed, wiping the sweat of her brow as if she had feared that he might not forgive her mistake. As Riley began to think about how long they'd known each other for, Cyndi crossed her arms and raised her eyebrow. When he finally realized that it was in fact three years, she chuckled too. It had been an interesting three years between them and she was glad that she had Riley in her life.

"Gross!" she exclaimed loudly, smacking her friend in the arm playfully as he suggestively mentioned his bedroom antics. She so did not want to be hearing any of this. "Topic change puhlease" she kidded as she got up from the seat she'd been in and headed to a cabinet where they kept kitty treats. She took out one for Midnight and fed it to her cat. The cat ate it slowly, her eyes still on Riley as she chewed and then she quickly left the kitchen. "I think Midnight's scared of you, Ril" she said, a frown on her face.

Riley rolled his eyes gain with a huge boyish grin on his face. He loved the fact that he could joke around with her and not have to worry about offending her or anything like that. They were just so laid back together. Unlike some other of the people he had spent time with the past. He had to make sure hat he did not say anything that would offend them. He hated that, having to change his words around, it meant he couldn't be himself. Luckily that was not the case with Cyndi. He knew where the line was and never really crossed it.
The teenager laughed as she slapped his arm. "Im sorry. Just thought you would like to know. It could work the same way with guy." He said nudging her side. He knew that she probably didn't care for such things but even a girl like Cyndi had to have he fun sometime. His eyes followed her a she fed her cat. "Well im the big bad wolf now. I don't think I will be very popular with the feline kind now." He said with a chuckle as he watched Midnight leave the room. "Maybe I should get a dog now. Ridge-backs are nice dogs" He said leaning against the side as he turned his attention back to his best friend again.

Cyndi pretended to think for a moment and then replied, "Hmm...you may be onto something there." She paused for a moment afterwards and then chuckled because Cyndi hadn't really slept with many guys. Unlike her roommate, she wasn't really a one night type of person. She much preferred the whole committed relationship thing, and that meant that when she went to a club to have a good time, she did...with friends. And at the end of the night, she went home alone, tired but content.

She shook her head slowly and rolled her eyes, not willing to admit that the cat might be frightened of Riley. She was pretty sure that cats had been afraid of Andromeda too, but that still didn't make either of them monsters. "A dog?" she asked, wondering if that could be what she got Riley for Christmas. It was coming soon and she hadn't figured out what to get him at all. "As long as he doesn't bother the cats" she shrugged.

Riley smiled at her comment. In the whole time he had known her Riley had never seen her bring a guy home. Though who could blame her when he lived with her. Knowing him he would scare them away, well the ones that he didn't like he would but if he liked them then they could stay. If they made Cyndi happy then that was the only important thing that mattered to him. He knew that Cyndi would not stay in a relationsip that she did now like, so he was safe in that area.
He nodded slowly as she said dog. "Yeah you know that thing that has four legs and barks." He said with a laugh in his voice. He was only joking, not making fun of her. Pouring the water back in the sink and washing the glass out before putting it on the draining board. "Well if I get a puppy then im sure it will grow to not care for cats." He said with a shrug. Not top mention he had a soft spot for puppies.

"I know what a dog is Riley" she said with an eye roll and then stuck out her tongue for good measure. Riley reminded her so much of her own little brother or what he probably would be like when he was Riley's age. Just without the whole sleeping around bit. She hoped. But, they were exactly the same in terms of their teasing of Cyndi.

Standing, she brightened. "Let's go look at some now" she said on impulse. It would be fun, getting to cuddle with the cute puppies even if they didn't bring one home. "It looks like you haven't been out of the house anyway" she said, nudging him with her elbow.

Riley chuckled at Cyndi's comment. "Are you sure? Do you want me to get those cards that kids have or something?" He said with a cheeky grin on his face. He had got Lowan some of those the other day. Now that had been a sight he would remember. Mainly because at first there were five and at the end e could only find one. It puzzled him to think hat Lowan could have done with them.
A huge grin crossed Riley face when Cyndi said to come a look at some dogs. At leas that would take his mind off things. "Awesome. I call dibs on name picking." He said as he quickly headed for the door. "Do we want a big dog or a small dog? Or medium?" He asked excitedly.

OOCOut of Character:
Sorry its so lame :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back