Closed I don't want to talk about it

Maria was relieved to finally have a problem in front of her that could be solved, something that could demonstrate to Flynn that the whole world wasn't against him. "Oh, not at all!" Maria said immediately, sitting up straighter. "This castle is full of fireplaces. We can talk to Katherine about the possibility of giving you permission to use floo to get around the school. It's ridiculous that that hasn't been offered to you already, frankly." Maria said firmly, relieved that her quill was already taking notes for her. "The school has a responsibility to make sure that all students have appropriate levels of access to education, and the stairs are a substantial issue. We can deal with this."

Flynn blinked, a little surprised at how quickly the counsellor seemed to jump on his problem with the staircases. "Oh, um... I mean... I'm fine," while it was a pain to walk up and down them all the time and took longer than it normally did to get around, he didn't really want any special treatment. "Look, I don't want any special treatment or anything. I'd rather just deal with the stairs normally. I'm managing, it just takes a little longer than usual is all."

Maria was a little surprised at Flynn's sudden backtrack, but nodded, letting him take the lead in his own life. "Well, if you change your mind, or if anything else comes to you, you can let me know any time. It's important to me that you have access to everything you need to live here comfortably." Maria sat up straighter, glancing at her clock for a moment. "We're coming close to the end of our time for today, but is there anything else you would like to talk about? Anything at all, this time is all yours."

In all honesty, Flynn was grasping to any sense of normalcy in his new life as possible. He didn't want to feel different to anyone else around him, and being given special permission to use the flue system to get around instead of just using the stairs like a normal person was not the way to go about that. And he was thankful that the counsellor seemed to respect that. "Thanks," he offered in a small mumble, letting out a breath of relief he wasn't going to have to argue that fact. Or have to explain why he felt that way. But thank God their session was almost over, though Flynn had to admit that maybe it wasn't as terrible as he thought it was going to be. "No," he finished with a shake of his head, "I don't really have anything else to say."

Maria nodded, giving Flynn a gentle smile. "I understand that coming into counselling when it's not something you've chosen for yourself can be very difficult, and feel like you're being.... forced into a kind of openness you're not comfortable with, so I really appreciate you coming in today and speaking with me. I hope you know that you can always come and speak with me if you feel like you need to, or if there's an accessibility issue at school you'd like someone to advocate for you on." She stood up, giving Flynn a gentle smile. "You know where I am, any time you need someone."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back