How has roleplaying changed you?

Hanna Wallin

I used to be a member of another virtual hogwarts, but unfortunantely they quit, so Im new here. Anyway, Im doing a paper in school in a subject called communication and media and am planning to write about role playing on the internet (with focus on my own experience in the Harry Potter community).

This is where you peope come in =) I would love any thoughts on how being a member of a virtual Hogwarts has affected you!
Have you learned anything during your time here?
Have your communication skills evolved any, or have you writing skills improved?
Has your relationship with the official Harry Potter merchandice and movies been affected by you being a member here?
How do you feel about previous attempts to put an end to these types of media where fans create their own Harry Potter spin offs?

These are just a few questions I came up with now, any thoughts at all are greatly appreciated even if its "Harry Potter rocks!!" =)
Sorry for my bad english, its been awhile since I practiced..

Also, if you do not want your user names in my essay, please say so and I will make up new ones!

Thanks!

I have learned a lot from this site.
1.Improved my vocabulary 10 times more
2.It is fun since you can read other roleplays which is like reading a book from my point of view.

Since you are writting on how it 'effects' I guess you can also include these
1.You get addicted to the site, which i have
2.You might back up in uur studies because of lack of concentration, wich I haven't.Its all how you plan yourself actually.

When you say you are addicted negative people will probably respond and say that it is a big problem with youngsters fleeing into this fantasy world, getting addicted and not being able to cope with real life (greeeatly exagerating this =P). How would you respond to that? And has your social life changed any after joining this network?
Am not looking for anything special with these questions just any and all thoughts, so you know!
And my take on the whole subject will be positive, so you know that aswell =)

I think it provides a nice sense of escapism. Sometimes, the real world just gets too boring, or too frustrating, or too depressing. That's why it's good to go to the RP world to relax and get out of the mundane normality.

I have learnt a little bit of history. Now I know a lot more about the Salem Witch Trials, e.t.c.. It's quite educational.

Have your communication skills evolved any, or have you writing skills improved?
Well, I get to practice essay writing. Which is very useful. And interacting with others. I'm not very good at conversation in RL, but I get to practice through RPing, and that's really good. I think I'm actually improving at human interaction, tbh.

Has your relationship with the official Harry Potter merchandice and movies been affected by you being a member here?
I don't think it has, no.

How do you feel about previous attempts to put an end to these types of media where fans create their own Harry Potter spin offs?
Eh. Fanfiction is a form of creative expression. And it's practice for other writing. I think it's wrong to try and stop people's creativity. Even if it's using a trademarked brand.

I've learned a lot, actually. My English, spelling and grammar has improved so much since I joined the site. Also, before I joined, I was absolutely terrible at dialog. I'm still not great, but I'm a lot better than I was 6 months ago.

As I said above, my writing skills have definitely improved.

Not really, no.

I can see their point. I mean, Harry Potter belongs to Warner Bros and JKR, so It makes sense that they don't want other people gaining from the world that they created. JKR, Luckily, is supportive of the Harry Potter fandom, so we don't have to worry about the site being shut down by her or Warner Bros.

I have learned many things from my time here. First of all, Harry Potter people rock. This community is so friendly, and everyone is here to listen to your ideas. Also surprisingly, from the lessons from the Wizarding World that I have had to put my character through, I have actually had to recall the researched facts for person use, in High School today. I have also grown in my love for Harry Potter, and understanding where any author comes from with developing a character, whether protagonistic or antagonistic. Every person/character has life within them, and they have their own mental drive, which leads to how and why they do certain things.

My writing skills have improved greatly. I now understand to have a goal and place to where I wish for my statements and descriptions to lead to. I have also improved my grammar and spelling skills, which were not up to par.

Has your relationship with the official Harry Potter merchandise and movies been affected by you being a member here?

I have an even greater understanding for anything developed in the Wonderful World of Harry Potter, and enjoy and embrace anything to do with it, that much more. My understanding and love of it has grown greatly.
Joann was brilliant!

I think an attempt to end any of these wonderful, imaginative sites would be a great loss to the world. We have focused out society more so on the 'practical' side of life, and are losing our love and appreciation for writers. People are losing their love of literature, if we keep pushing them into Corporal America. These sites help many express and develop their writing and imaginative skills, and who knows, they could be the next famous, world wide author. Also, this is a major destresser for many people, who have had hard days at work/school/or any other activity, thus they need and depend on their lovely friendships made here, to help them through life's daily adventures.

(Sorry for any misspellings, and if you would like me to elaborate on anything else, just let me know. I think what you are going to do, is a brilliant, amazing thing! We need more people like you in the world. :D )

Yes, much actually. I'm a very self centered person and while I have not been drastically morphed into a totally different being, having to communicate with other people on a greater scale has helped me a lot. Listening to what other people have to say is quite important. It also has helped me come to more of a self realization.

Communication skills evolved greatly, my writing hasn't improved much but writing with other people has become easier.

I'm not really sure how to answer this one. I own a Gryffindor jacket. =3

I think these attempts are absolutely ridiculous. Let the people have their fun, I say! It's better being addicted to Harry Potter than to drugs or sex, in my opinion. It's a rather creative and positive outlet, if time consuming.

Although, as a writer, I can see their point. I don't think people should get money for the spinoffs; that's JK's money that she earned. But I do think we should be able to get enjoyment out of it, just as any other person writing fanfiction does.

Feel free to use my username- I actually might like to see this essay! It sounds really interesting! It's always fun to do essays on things you are really passionate about; it was so fun doing a research paper on how Harry has affected the world.

I'm totally cool with helping out on this essay, so if you have any more questions, feel free to pm me!

Yay, many answers!! =)
As for your question Estrella, am not from New Zeeland and my essay is going to be in Swedish.. =/ Is it still ok to be a member if your not from New Zeeland? But the abstract has to be in english, so at least you can see that =)

Just read a study from febuary saying that 10% of all Harry Potter fans show serious signs of addiction. What do you respond to this?

How do you all feel about the other poeple on this site? Haha, that sounded abit weird.. What Im interested in is how does friendship online work? And when its on a site like this, how do you keep from confusing your characters with your actual selves? I was thinking along the lines that over the internet its hard enough getting personal, and mixing in personas and characters that might not be the least bit like you must make it harder? Or does it?
Just random thoughts

If theres someting you dont want to talk about on the board please PM me! I just have to figure out how the PM thing works...

And thank you Bellatrix! I love the Harry Potter fandom and Harry Potter people so it was an easy choice for a subject. Thank you so much for your answers wonderfull people! =)

Hanna - doesn't matter that you're not from NZ. Most people here aren't!

Yeah, Hanna.. I live in America. The majority of the people here haven't even been to New Zealand. :D

Just read a study from febuary saying that 10% of all Harry Potter fans show serious signs of addiction. What do you respond to this?
It depends what you consider addiction. There's fine line between dedication and addiction, I think. Both can be a good or bad thing.

What Im interested in is how does friendship online work?
I think it's a lot easier to make friends online than in the everyday world because you make friends according to personality, not looks or past judgments.

And when its on a site like this, how do you keep from confusing your characters with your actual selves?
A lot of times the character does reflect the person, but I've never really had a problem with character-actual person confusion, so I'm not entirely sure how to answer this.

I was thinking along the lines that over the internet its hard enough getting personal, and mixing in personas and characters that might not be the least bit like you must make it harder? Or does it?
It doesn't really make it harder in my opinion. Most people online (I stress on the most) know the difference between being in character and out of character. Your character may be a total jerk, but most people would realize that this is probably not in fact the real you.

Have you learned anything during your time here? I have actually learned quite a bit during my time here. I know most people will say that it is not the real world and how do you learn anything from a magical nonreal world but it doesn't matter that it is not real. Many of the role plays have real issues in them just with an added touch of interest. Believe it or not but I learned how to and how not to handle many different issues.
Have your communication skills evolved any, or have you writing skills improved? I have actually create a voice for myself in writing. I used to be just another writer but now even in school my professors are telling me how much I have created my writing voice. My essays now are more personal and compelling. Also my vocab had increased and I use and learned a lot of words that I had never even heard of.
Has your relationship with the official Harry Potter merchandice and movies been affected by you being a member here? Not really to tell the truth.
How do you feel about previous attempts to put an end to these types of media where fans create their own Harry Potter spin offs? I understand why they would want to attempt to shut down sites but I don't agree with it. I know the characters(most) and the harry potter world itself comes from JK herself but the freedom should be given to spin off as much as we want :p. I mean its not like we are selling are roleplays in published books. We are here to just roleplay, have a good time, and escape reality.
Just read a study from febuary saying that 10% of all Harry Potter fans show serious signs of addiction. What do you respond to this? I understand this and know how fans can get addicted to sites like this. I am addicted to it but that's not a bad thing. I think now that I have just another part in my life. I know that now I have to learn to balance my day to day life between this site, homework, school, chores, sports, ect. I think even if it is an addiction as you may call it it teaches me at least to balance my busy day to day life.
How do you all feel about the other poeple on this site? What Im interested in is how does friendship online work? Well you do create bonds with people on these types of sites or at least with their characters. Online friendship is like any other type of friendship, you talk and go out except this is all virtual. Just think you get to save all the money for going out bowling and such :p

And when its on a site like this, how do you keep from confusing your characters with your actual selves? I was thinking along the lines that over the internet its hard enough getting personal, and mixing in personas and characters that might not be the least bit like you must make it harder? Or does it? Well I have added a bit of myself to all my role playing characters yet no character is exactly like me. I wouldn't want a character to be exactly like me because that would be me too much in a reality. I roleplay to get out of the real world. I want my character to have some of my faults and some of my talents but I also want my character to have faults of its own and talents of its own. At first you may want a character just like you but that gets boring after awhile. It may be different to get used to being someone that your not but it is kind of like when you were five and you pretended to be a princess. Its all just make believe.

I hope I helped and sorry I typed a novel :p

Thanks for the post, no problems with the novel leangth! =) If you want you can always go ahead and elaborate to a complete essay.. ;P

Am frenetically putting it al together now, the whole procrastination thing dosnt get better with age.. But couldnt have doen it without you, thanks to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back