Hopefully Some Quiet Reading

Sophia Stark

OOC First Name
Kaela
Things had not been going well at all for Sophia as of late. Frustrated and sick of staring at her bedroom walls she made her way down to the Lake with her overstuffed bag slung over her left shoulder. Upon coming to the rock that she and Ford had spent much time at, she sat upon it and set her bag down beside her. Sophia rooted through her bag for a few moments before deciding on a book and extracting it from the bag, opening it as she crossed her left leg over her right. With a sigh she began reading, hoping it would stay quiet.

Tired and irritated, Estrella made her way down to the Lakefront, not even seeing Sophia as she sat next to the rosebush, pulling a book out of her bag, The Golden Compass, an interesting muggle read that she had brought with her to Hogwarts.

It was not until she had gotten a few chapters into the book that she noticed that Sophia was there, but she didn't say anything. They hadn't talked in a long time, and Sophia, it appeared, had avoided her as much as possible.

With a sigh Sophia decided to give her eyes a break from reading and took a look around. She spotted Estrella and frowned, looking away and back to her book. Sophia had been quite confused about the events over the Winter Break and was still a bit peeved with Estrella. The run in in the Forbidden Forest the other day had certainly not helped Sophia's mood, and Estrella's reaction made Sophia even more reluctant to approach her.

Deciding that sitting around with all the tension wasn't worth her while, Estrella moved over to Sophia. "Hey," she said in greeting, wondering what Sophia's reaction was going to be. She knew that Sophia was still angry at her for ditching them. Except, it wasn't really her fault.

Sophia looked up from her book at Estrella at her greeting. "Greetings," she replied blankly before turning her gaze back to her book.

"So, why did you set Bruin on fire?" Estrella inquired quietly, so that no one, if they were in earshot, could hear. If Sophia was going to be unpleasant, she might as well give this a shot.

"I did not do it on purpose," Sophia snapped back at Estrella, looking quite angry. Notice I myself was shocked and it only lasted a few moments.

"Why did you ruin my home?" she asked, glaring at Estrella. If that was how she was going to play, then Sophia was going to play as well.

"Just starting up a conversation," Estrella snapped. "Same reply; I didn't do it on purpose either." She leaned against the tree. "So I think we could establish some common ground- Neither of us can control it." She looked up at Sophia, not wanting to get into an argument. "Obviously, it's inherited, at least, that's what I found out."

"Well, I do not want it either way. Nor do I want to speak to you. You may think that we have things in common in this situation, but we do not, aside from having powers we cannot control. This whole thing is ridiculous." Sophia looked back down to her book, her expression one of anger and annoyance.

"Yeah, it is," Estrella snapped. "Including your attitude about the whole thing. I'm just as lost as you are." Her expression became angry. "You know, you might blame me for ditching you, but trust me, I didn't do it voluntarily."

"Oh, you mean you did not voluntarily run down the hallway and disappear, running right past me?" Sophia asked as she looked up at Estrella, a very cold look on her pale face. "You are telling me you were imperiused and forced to flee from my home? Well it does not matter, because things are not the same for you and I. While you were held prisoner and tortured I was merely home for the holidays. Your rescue was not so much of a rescue as a way to infuriated all of them and destroy my home."

"Well, I'm sorry for being imprisoned there and finding out that my mom was murdered," Estrella retaliated. "And sorry for coming back for a friend, I guess." She knew that the words were hurtful, but she couldn't take them back.

Sophia appeared unaffected by Estrella's comment. "You were not imprisoned in my home, you were in fact imprisoned in your own childhood home. And from what I heard from my father and Vladmir, your mother was murdered without your father knowing when you were five. Did you plan on simply sitting and griping about what has happened to you or are you going to live in the here and now and accept that you cannot change the past?"

((Tell me if this is not all right with you.))

"I'm not complaining about it," she snapped, "And considering I was chased down from your home, I would consider that being imprisoned. But I didn't come to complain about that."

"Look, I didn't come here to fight with you. But I'm just as confused as you are."

"Did you expect them to let you simply walk out after the way you behaved? You talk back, you fight them, you destroy things, you cause problems. I am not saying you should join with them or anything, but you might try holding your tongue sometimes.

"Believe it or not I do not like fighting either. However, I am not about to turn around and become buddy-buddy with you." Sophia looked at Estrella with a calm, serious expression. Despite her allowing people to become close her last year and last term, she was done with that. She had let people in and things had gone badly. Ford still held her confidence, but that was about it.

"I'm not asking you to," Estrella replied quietly. "But I don't want to be giving the cold shoulder either. I can't stand it, and I'm not out to get you."

She shrugged. "Yes, I run off my mouth, but I'm like that under stress. I mean, I really don't enjoy being chased over some nutter prophecy."

"Were you under the impression I did? Although I have not exactly been chased, as you have. I have no idea what is going to happen with the summer. I was going to write to my mother to try and find out what happened to her. I am not sure if you were aware, but she disappeared shortly after I arrived home during the Holidays."

"I had no idea," Estrella said quietly. "But I don't know what I'm going to do over the summer. I'm not exactly ready to go back with a bunch of death eaters, no matter if they are my family."

"You have friends here, correct? Why not ask one of them if you can go stay with them for the summer. I am sure someone here will let you. As for me I am hoping on getting in touch with my mother." Sophia seemed to have calmed down considerably at this point, as her look was not longer scathing and her voice was merely blank as opposed to cold.

"I probably will," Estrella said quietly. She was glad that the situation had calmed down. "Do you have any idea of where she could be?"

"No. I sent her a letter this morning and am hoping to hear back from her soon. She was always prompt at replying to my letters."

Just as a cue in a movie an owl swooped down and dropped a letter on Sophia's lap. "Well then, she said, setting her book down and taking up the letter. Opening it she scanned it, not wanting to read it aloud until she knew what it contained.

Estrella waited to see if Sophia was going to read off her letter. If she didn't, she didn't, and she wasn't going to ask.

"Well," Sophia began, refolding the letter and placing it inside of her book. "She claims to have fled from my father, whom she says has changed for the worse. She also says that your new brother is very handsome," she added with a look of interest, not having heard anything about this before.

((As always, let me know if that is not all right.))

Estrella's mouth dropped open. "My brother...." She looked up at Sophia. Admist everything else, she had totally forgotten about Lissandra's pregnancy. "Erm, my father had a relationship with that Lissandra lady," she explained.

"Well, apparently she gave birth to one Erik Drage and promptly left him with your father. A bit ironic, is it not?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back