Hogwarts Monthly Y44/S2

HOGWARTS MONTHLY: Y44 SEMESTER 2 ISSUE
105f2715666f9d23543003a1d46c6c11b238d96f.gif

Another Semester Passes
By Giulia Alcott (Rowan)
Time passes quickly at Hogwarts, and with the end of the school year, it's time for another issue of the Hogwarts Monthly. This semester saw plenty of excitement around the school, between Quidditch drama, competitions of all kinds, classes, dances, and normal life. We've got all the news for you right here in this semester's issue of Hogwarts Monthly, so dig in and enjoy!
Quidditch
By Margo Fox (Kadi)
Club Events
By Giulia Alcott (Rowan)
This year’s quidditch season has come to an exciting end this semester, and congratulations to Slytherin on their quidditch cup victory!

Their win against Ravenclaw secured their position after a short and sweet game that started off quick, with captain Xiuying Huang first taking possession of the quaffle. She scored the first points of the game before the Zhefarovich brothers took possession of the quaffle and were unsuccessful at their attempt at the goal. Before any beaters could land a hit and before any more chasers could score any more points, seeker Ivelisse Burleigh caught the snitch, ending the game. It was an uncharacteristically bloodless game and I’m sure the school nurses appreciated a slow day in the hospital wing.

The same could not be said for the international game that followed. With their title secured Slytherin faced off against Beauxbatons in a game that would be called anything but quick. As soon as the whistle blew captain Celia Vuong landed the first blow of many against the French team and Terror Zhefarovich took possession of the quaffle. But the Beauxbatons' beaters were not about to be outdone and landed their own blows against Slytherin. The brutal game continued until Vincent Poe, the French seeker was knocked out of the game, quickly followed by Slytherin’s captain who was replaced by Mischa Falter-Butera. And then the casualties continued as Slytherin’s seeker Ivelisse Burleigh was taken out of the game as well as teammate Terror Zhefarovich. Unfortunately Slytherin’s luck didn’t turn around and Niniane Archambeau of Beauxbatons secured the win for the French team.

Despite the tough game both teams gave it their all. Here’s to next year’s season and all the excitement it is bound to bring! Who knows maybe Slytherin has reignited their winning streak?
With two of the school's many clubs covered extensively already, there isn't as much to cover in this section as usual, but that doesn't mean there wasn't excitement in all of the clubrooms.

Well, in the clubrooms may not be entirely accurate. Heta Omega and the Brotherhood of MAGIC got together in the great outdoors to enjoy a bonfire together, with marshmallows and barbecue to be shared by all.

Our spiritual cousins in the Accio! offices have been busy behind the scenes putting together everyone's favourite yearbook just as we've been working on the paper you're reading now, though the Monthly team also took some time out to take inspiration and stretch our writing muscles in a new way.

While there are a few unofficial clubs floating around the school as well, we haven't heard much from the History Club or Quidditch Club this semester - hopefully they're cooking up new and exciting activities for next year. It's also been a quiet one out in the gardens - the Wild Patch club were more focused on sowing seeds than throwing parties.

So that's it for the clubs this year! Next year should hopefully be a thrilling one, so don't forget to sign up and get involved at next year's Club Fair!
Talent Show
By Aine Thompson (Camilla)
Duelling Tournament
By Margo Fox (Kadi)
The Conglomerated Arts Club did something a little different this semester. In the midst of duelling, Quidditch, and exam prep the Arts Club, led by Hufflepuff’s Sky Eriksen and Eugene Nestor, put on a wonderful afternoon of entertainment featuring a variety of talented student performers. With refreshments provided and decorations put together by the hard working club members, we were treated to music, dance, drama, and even a few laughs. The brother-sister duo of Felix and Thistle Carnahan showed off a bit of muggle magic with a routine that would not be out of place in a comedy festival, and Veronique Chatelain challenged herself to show off a multitude of skills in one act, proving that bravery is not just limited to those in the red and gold. A big thanks to the Arts Club and to all the performers for putting themselves out there and putting together a very enjoyable show.
Every year students from every house come together to test their skills on the dueling platform and this year was no exception. Organized by SDA President Celia Vuong, a grand total of 25 students signed up to participate. The first round of duels started out with a bang, or rather a Confringo. From a squabble amongst the second years to an explosive display from the seventh years that ended in a disqualification. But the drama didn’t stop there with cheating rumors and the final round of third year duels ending in a forfeit after a heated argument. A reminder about good sportsmanship might be needed for those who sign up next year. But until then a hearty congratulations to this year's winners: Tempest Vero, Anisah Khatri, Yuelia Rossingol, Monday Weeks, Seamus Reid, and Caleb Thorne. And a special thanks to Professor Borisyuk, Professor Moncrieffe, and Professor Castillo for their help proctoring the event!

Last semester, I got the chance to sit down with one of the newly named Gryffindor Co-Captains and resident Gryffindor prefect, Louis Alcott. Here is what he had to say about the upcoming Quidditch season and what plans he has for after graduation.

RG: So, how bout we start with something simple. How'd it feel when you were asked to co-captain? Were you expecting it or was it a bit of a surprise?

LA: Well, I wasn't expecting it, but I was hoping for it. It was a surprise to be named together with my fellow chaser, but she's a good player and we definitely make a strong team on the pitch.

RG: So, you're saying that you were more hoping to be named a Captain by yourself?

LA: Not necessarily. I meant that I expected there to be one captain, since Isaiah did it by himself too, and then I also said I did hope it would be me.

RG: But do the two of you have any big plans for the Quidditch team this year? Hoping to get your first championship in what feels like a century?

LA: I mean, we do plan to win the cup. We were nearly there last year, just got unlucky at the end. I think our odds are good. Especially since our first match is against Ravenclaw.

RG: Especially because it's Ravenclaw? Trying to say something about the Ravenclaw team?

LA: I just mean that they were in last place last year. While we were in second, you know?

RG: So, just because they happened to place last the previous year, that automatically means you're going to write them off this year?

LA: Not automatically, no. But it’s not like we should just ignore that, either. The team isn’t that different from last year. It’s just strategy, you know?

RG: I think winning the cup is just automatically at the top of everyone's list. Not got any personal goals you want to achieve?

LA: I mean, I'm hoping to go professional next year.

RG: Any teams in particular you're hoping to want your signature, then? Got any back-up plans if you fail?

LA: I’d love to play for the Quibberon Quafflepunchers, but I’d take any team that would take me. I guess my backup plan would be to stick around Quality Quidditch supplies a bit longer. Or work with my dad, he makes brooms.

RG: The Qufflepunchers, huh? Any reason why you want to play for them specifically? Your favorite player on that team or something? Have you thought about maybe trying out for teams in another country if you don't make any the ones here?

LA: I mean, I'd love to play for France. But like I said, any team would be fine.

So there we go, folks. I think the lesson from this interview is that you should never write off a team just because they happened to end up in last place the previous year, don't you think. But thank you to Louis for taking the time to sit down for an interview.
Op-Ed
In Defence of the House System
By Aine Thompson (Camilla)
Op-Ed
In Opposition to the House System
By Celia Vuong (Ana)
I’m prefacing this article by saying that yes, I am fully aware there are issues with the house system. There’s plenty of things that could be done better, and I hope to express those ideas for positive improvements while also explaining why I think that the house system, while flawed, is actually a good thing.

Let’s start with the obvious. This is a boarding school, and students are going to be sharing living space with other people for seven years. While yes, it would be more appropriate for senior students to have private rooms, the fact is you will have roommates and ideally you will be on good terms with them. Or at least, able to co-operate and stay out of each other's way. Separating everyone by personality can be a flawed process, but in theory you’ll be placed with people who are similar enough that you can find common ground with them. Of course, not every person in every house fits a specific mould, but you might find yourself less inclined to argue with someone who has the same work ethic as you, for instance. Beyond school, you will likely find yourself in a workplace of varying personalities but with a common goal or interest, and house common rooms are an effective place to prepare you for this.

Like in muggle schools, inter-house competition is part of the school’s social calendar. However, in a muggle school (at least in my experience in Australia), there would be more encouragement for everyone to compete as opposed to a select few, and a wider variety of events. Perhaps, rather than simply abolishing the houses, we might consider creating new events and competitions that encourage teamwork. Quidditch and duelling are tests of magical skill, but perhaps we could consider a inter-house performing arts contest, or maybe an encouragement to fundraise for wizarding charities, something that would have the double benefit of house points for the house that shows the most innovation and business savvy in their fundraising efforts, as well as generally doing something good for the community. Reward physical activity and team play beyond the select few who play Quidditch. Encourage participation for all, working to build each other up and not make anyone feel like they can’t contribute.

Importantly, rather than simply removing the houses, the school should consider how they’re presented. It is hard to destroy a lifetime of preconceptions - Gryffindors are foolish, Ravenclaws are nerds, Slytherins are rude and nobody cares about Hufflepuffs - but we can start to make a change. Instead of focusing on these negatives, we can lift each other up. Present the houses in the way that we can all be proud of. Yes, the house system is flawed. But it’s the foundation of something we can improve upon and make better, make our own, rather than just removing it all together.
Everything at Hogwarts is structured around the houses. When you first arrive, your house is how you're initially judged. But even as you grow older, your house will continue to dictate your living conditions, your roommates, your advisor, and your ability to participate in sports.

That wouldn't be a problem if the houses were relatively equal. But they're not. While Hufflepuffs enjoy easy access to the student lounge and library, Slytherins are stuck in a windowless dungeon. While many Gryffindors wait years to get a spot on the Quidditch team, Ravenclaws can often walk onto their house team as a first year. If you get stuck with a particularly harsh or unhelpful head of house, then you're out of luck. As I've written in a previous column, your head of house shapes your entire Hogwarts experience, and getting a bad one can be disastrous.

House systems can work, as evidenced by muggle schools that have them. However, under those systems, students are usually sorted randomly, and basic facilities between the houses are generally equal. It is absurd that Hogwarts insists on making snap judgements about the personalities of eleven-year-olds and then sequester them with the quarter of their classmates who happen to share one of four random traits.

Why do we put up with such an inane system? The simple answer is because a thousand years ago, a random group of four Scottish wizards decided this was a good idea. For context, this was a time in human development during which the printing press did not yet exist, the modern day calendar wasn't yet in place, and people still thought the Earth was the center of the universe. This was also a time when blood supremacist ideology thrived, and it was considered perfectly acceptable to create a house that selects for blood purity.

Hogwarts Monthly staff writer Aine Thompson argues that we should avoid focusing on the reputations of the houses and instead "lift each other up." But that is impossible when the histories of the houses are baked into their identities. Salazar Slytherin is most well known for his bigotry and his attempt to murder schoolchildren with a basilisk, yet Hogwarts treats him as if he is worthy of honor and asks muggleborns to wear his symbol on their robes. The school can't claim to care about prejudice when it implicitly endorses a man whose legacy is hate. Is it really any surprise that Hogwarts still sees incidents like the one that took place earlier this semester, when a Slytherin used a blood slur on the dueling platform and was allowed to continue with the duel despite it?

When the foundation of a system is rotten, the only solution is to dismantle it completely and start over. There is no salvaging the Hogwarts New Zealand houses as they currently exist. Instead, the school must think critically about its values and goals and build something new.
Hello everyone, today I'll be showing you how to draw a rose. Drawing is my favourite thing to do as both a hobby as well as passing the time! Roses can also show a bit of romance, who knows maybe you can ask your date out with a rose you drew for the next school year's Yule Ball or Valentine's Dance.

STEP ONE
The first step is that you will need to draw an oval. (Don't worry if the oval is not the perfect shape! Not every rose is the same shape!)
Start-by-Drawing-an-Oval-e1521140590815.png

STEP TWO
After drawing your oval, you want to add a spiral in the middle of your oval. You can add as many turns or whatever direction you want the spiral to go.
Draw-a-spiral-inside-the-oval-e1521141498926.png

STEP THREE
Once you have drawn a spiral in the oval, you then want to draw a heart around your sprial and oval. Make sure that the top corner of your heart touches your oval and spiral. Again, it's totally okay if the shape of your heart is imperfect.
Draw-a-heart-around-the-spiral-e1521141860452.png

STEP FOUR
After drawing your heart, you will need to start drawing lines following your recently drawn heart. You want to draw a line on the left side of your heart, following the line of the heart. You then want to draw another line in the bottom middle of your heart. You wanna make sure that your left and middle lines connect.
Follow-the-heart-shape.png

STEP FIVE
On the fifth step, you want to do a similar thing on the right-hand side, only that it needs to be smaller and will need to end about one-fifth of the way up. Again, make sure your following the shape of your heart.
And-on-the-other-side.png

STEP SIX
Once you have drawn the side petals in the previous steps, you then wanna connect it all together by drawing a U-like shape to connect them both.
Draw-an-U-Shape-e1521143803670.png

STEP SEVEN
In this step, you want to connect everything together. Adding the little details to your rose will make it pop a little more! The little details are always important!
Add-a-few-details-e1521144172752.png

STEP EIGHT
After adding all the little details you need to make your rose pop a little more, you then want to add some leaves at the bottom of your rose. You can add as many leaves at the bottom as you wish!
More-details-e1521144595694.png

STEP NINE
The ninth and final step of drawing your rose is adding the stem and leaf to your rose. Again, add as many leaves to your stem as you'd like! Maybe add a thorn or two on your stem too!
Draw-a-stem-e1521144720108.png

And voila! your drawing is complete! Feel free to colour your rose in as well!
Color-1.jpg

And that's how you draw a rose! I hope this was helpful and who knows, maybe one day you'd be able to use it somewhere! Good luck and have fun!
Horoscopes
By Ruto Vernier-Raison (Kaye)
Top 10
Mythical (Real) Creatures
By Aaliyah Chun (Arle)
Aquarius (January 20 - February 18)
This month you will discover the importance of love. Whether this love be for your significant other, family members, friends, or fur babies. It comes in all different shapes and sizes and its sweetest meanings are often unspoken. If you’re unsure about how you stand in someone’s life, be observant in their actions. How do they react towards you? What can you gather from this information? You will find that more questions are answered in silence.

Pisces (February 19 - March 20)
There is always a reason to sing joyfully. Don’t be afraid of who you are. Last month you kept to yourself, but this month it’s time to show the world everything you have. Look on the bright side of life and you will find that there is more to it than the everyday bustle. Try and make sense of other people’s views and you will find your mindset will broaden. In turn, others around you will find happiness and those who are far will come. As Oscar Wilde said, “Youth smiles without any reason. It is one of its chiefest charms.”

Aries (March 21 - April 19)

Lately you have been quite curious about what is around you, and that is definitely a good trait to have. Ask all of the questions and see what you will learn. William Shakespeare taught us that “We know what we are, but know not what we may be”, so perhaps being a little more curious about yourself this month should be on the cards. See what you could be good at. Perhaps potion brewing is your one true calling? Or flying on a broomstick with the wind flowing through your hair? Don’t be scared to step out of your comfort zone a little as you discover yourself.

Taurus (April 20 - May 20)

Life’s greatest treasures are often buried deep within the simplest things. Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly in a calm spirit, and you find that there is a lot more to what meets the eye. In each of your friends, you will discover a part of yourself that you didn’t think ever existed. Be curious and try not to miss any details. Follow well-trodden paths where you must, and use your gifts to help you blaze new trails where you can.

Gemini (May 21 - June 20)

It is important to realise that nothing should ever be rushed. Live today in such a way that when tomorrow comes, the memories of yesterday will all be cherished ones. Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. You’ve done more than enough, so take this month as a chance to relax and unwind. Your mind runs faster than you’d like and it’s imperative that sometimes you give it a break.

Cancer (June 21 - July 22)

You know more than anyone that the manner of giving is worth more than the gift. Your friends mean so much to you but sometimes they aren’t given the opportunity to reciprocate those feelings, so this month you have to step back a little and let others do the work. Let your friends show you how much they meant to you. But don’t worry - you’ve already filled the cup of happiness for them and there should be enough overflowing to fill yours to the brim. You will discover who your true friends are.

Leo (July 23 - August 22)

Nothing great was ever accomplished by sitting in the stands. Get on your broom and show everyone that you are a lot more capable than they think. It is important to not get too carried away however. This month you need to find a healthy balance between showing everyone you are a star, but not completely stealing the light. Gather your friends and show people that you work stronger as a group. Dreams and ambitions are easier to reach when you’re sharing them with someone you love.

Virgo (August 23 - September 22)

This month you should set an example. You know you are intelligent, confident and brave, and it’s time to pass your knowledge onto others. Enjoy the love, laughter, and limelight that are yours this month. Those who are younger than you will be looking up to you, seeking the advice of someone wise. Be that person for them and encourage them as best as you can. Even your silent companionship may be more healing than words of advice. You may then find that good karma will come around when you need it the most.

Libra (September 23 - October 22)

You have your mind focused on goals that you know very well you have the ability to achieve. However this month, you must realise that it’s not the length of life, but the depth of life that is the most important. If something is currently stressing you out, perhaps it is time to take a step away from it and take a break. Even kings sometimes need to take their crown off for a moment and relax.

Scorpio (October 23 - November 21)

Be the most grateful this month and you will find that it will make things a lot easier. Be content with what you have as others may not be so fortunate. Human beings are actually the only creatures that strive to be something they are not. Embrace your life and find happiness in the smallest things. For everything you have missed, you have gained something else. Love will get us further in this life than selfishness.

Sagittarius (November 22 - December 21)

A good character is more valuable than gold. You have been trying to follow the rules, though it can be immensely difficult, but you should still be proud of what you have achieved. Your actions have influenced those around you, though you may not realise. To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; that is to have succeeded. You don’t need to worry about whether people like you or not, because I can assure you that they do. This month, take pride in yourself and your efforts for you have definitely come a long way.

Capricorn (December 22 - January 19)

This month it is important to be a good person. Nothing is rarer than real goodness. The more we give to others, the more we are increased, and goodness is the only investment that never fails. Have you heard the saying that “Only the pure in heart can make good soup”? If you stay true to yourself and to those around you, you will find friends in those you never really thought of before. These friends will have a gentle heart that will help guide you to where you need to be.
Hold onto your wands, folks, because we're about to dive into the magical world of mythical creatures! While muggles may deem these creatures as purely imaginative and fantastical, the wizarding world has the privilege of rubbing shoulders with these extraordinary beings on a daily basis. So, grab your brooms, and let's take a closer look at the top ten mythical beasts that are very much real in the enchanting realm of witches and wizards.

1. Dragon: With scales as sturdy as a fortress and fiery breath that could roast marshmallows in seconds, dragons are undoubtedly one of the most awe-inspiring creatures. In the wizarding world, dragons thrive in habitats such as the Forbidden Forest, providing magicians a chance to witness their majestic presence firsthand, however, most of our dragons can be found in our dragon sanctuaries just like the one in Romania.

2. Phoenix: Rising from the ashes, the phoenix is a symbol of rebirth and immortality in muggle mythology. However, in the wizarding world, these magnificent birds do exist and are known for their ability to burst into flame and be reborn again. Their tears have healing properties and can even resurrect an individual from the brink of death.

3. Hippogriff: A hippogriff is a fearsome yet intriguing creature that possesses the head, wings, and forelimbs of an eagle, while its hindquarters resemble that of a horse. This majestic beast combines the strength and grace of both these animals, making it a remarkable sight. In the wizarding world, hippogriffs are not mythical because witches and wizards encounter them in their everyday lives. These magnificent creatures can be found alongside their mythical counterparts in various enchanted forests and are often tamed and trained. Hagrid, the lovable half-giant and groundskeeper in Scotland, even taught students at Hogwarts how to properly approach and interact with them during his Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

4. Unicorns: Known for their ethereal beauty and purity, unicorns are often seen as fictional creatures worthy of fairy tales. But in the wizarding world, their strength lies in their unique healing powers, which can cure any ailment when their horn is correctly harvested and used.

5. Werewolf: While muggles may imagine werewolves only in horror stories, in the wizarding world, they exist as well, though they are deemed to be dangerous and regulated creatures. During full moons, these individuals transform into ferocious wolves, becoming a force to be reckoned with. With the help of the wolfsbane potion, these individuals suffer less when they go through their transformation.

6. Basilisk: With snakes for hair and the ability to petrify those who meet its gaze indirectly, the basilisk is a truly terrifying creature. This enormous serpent once roamed the chambers of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and killed a student just by its gaze before it was successfully defeated by Harry Potter.

7. Pegasus: The stuff of legends, Pegasus is a winged horse capable of flight. With shimmering feathers and eyes that glisten like diamonds, these magical steeds serve as trusted companions for wizards and witches, taking them on breathtaking journeys through the skies.

8. Centaur: Half-human, half-horse, centaurs possess unrivaled wisdom and knowledge of the stars. While they can be highly secretive, these enchanting beings play an essential role in the wizarding world as skilled divination experts and fierce protectors of their forest homes.

9. Vampire: A creature synonymous with darkness and immortality, vampires captivate the imaginations of muggles as beings of pure myth. Wizards, however, know that these bloodthirsty creatures do exist, dwelling in hidden covens and maintaining their immortal nature by feeding on human blood.

10. Veela: Veela are undoubtedly enchanting creatures that captivate all who witness their beauty. Native to Bulgaria, these beings possess an ethereal appearance, with long, flowing white-blonde hair and mesmerizing blue eyes. Although they resemble elegant young women, veela are far from ordinary humans. When provoked or angered, their true nature reveals itself. Veela have the ability to emit a powerful and irresistible allure, capable of captivating anyone in their vicinity. This allure can cause individuals to become infatuated and even lose control of their actions. In the wizarding world, individuals with veela heritage are not uncommon. They pass down their enchanting qualities through generations, making their existence very real. Veela blood has been known to influence the magical abilities of those who possess it, making them highly sought after by some for their allure. Fleur Delacour, one of the Triwizard Champions during the events of the Triwizard Tournament, was part veela, demonstrating that these magical beings are indeed not mythical but rather a part of wizarding society.

So, there you have it! The top ten mythical creatures that are anything but mythical in the wizarding world. It's a captivating reminder that, while muggles may not have access to these incredible creatures, the enchanting realm of magic holds endless wonders waiting to be explored.
Fashion Forecast
Glitter Accessories
By Gemma Delaney (Sam) (Source)
Muggle Moment
Rollercoasters
By Lorenzo Vero (Kiersten) (Source)
Welcome Back Fashionistas! It's been a long semester full of boring classes and too much writing. When the times are dark, fashion is here to save the day. The upcoming trend, I'm happy to announce, is Glitter! I know what you are thinking, what can a little bit of glitter do to spice up a drab uniform? Well, let me tell you! Just about everything. Glitter accessories are a great way to bring some light into the darkness that falls our busy lives. Glitter will help you stand out of the crowd and even leave your mark (and glitter trail) wherever you go.

f2ccc6df26e2ab6533d97340c3d645b7de4683ea.pnj

Now Glitter Accessories certainly need a little styling help. My biggest tip is to make them your statement piece. Plan your whole outfit colour scheme around the glitter accessory you choose. If you are a little shy, to let your light shine, try a simple glitter ring. If you want to really show your true colours, match up any outfit with a glitter necklace, set of earrings, and of course that added ring. People won't be able to look away! Glitter accessories can be mixed and matched to your preference. I, of course, let to add a bit of everything to the uniform that desperately needs it. Start out small and build up your collection. This school will be shining in no time!
There are many similarities between the muggle and magical world, but there are also vast differences. I am always curious what muggles create for fun activities. In my research, I discovered something called an "amusement park." While many elements are similar to the fairs and festivals we have in the muggle world, including food, treats, booths, and even games, muggles have gone one step further. Many amusement parks contain "rides," and, more specifically, "roller coasters," giant metal structures that then have a box with wheels attached to them. They roll along a track and go very fast; some even contains loops. If you have ever been inside Gringotts, the roller coasters are similar to that.

21cb8837c1d97bd37506834a02c7b676b86ea39b.gif

A representative drawing of what a rollercoaster looks like

However, muggle do not have the magical protections we do. Some roller coasters have bars that go over to hold them in, but there are many older roller coasters that use a simple strap. Some of those roller coasters even go upside down without the box falling off. Muggles do not wear any protective gear like helmets on these rides. Numerous people have died on these "amusing" rides. Not every muggle is willing to ride one of these, well, death traps. But many do. While we do have thrill seeking activities in the wizarding world, we at least have ways to make them safer with magic, something muggles obviously cannot do. Do you think you would ever ride one of these?
Poetry Corner
Cheers That Echo: The Final Class Goodbyes
By Aaliyah Chun (Arle)
Hugo's Book Corner
A Circle Of Shadows by Evelyn Skye
By Hugo Stark-West (Mia)
Farewell to the Classroom Cheers

Oh, how time flies, dear schoolmates mine,
As we bid adieu to a grand old time,
With heavy hearts and teary eyes,
We say goodbye to friendships tried.

Through books and pens, we shared our dreams,
From laughter to tears, it's been quite a scene,
The tests and quizzes, the late-night cram,
We stuck together—just like jam.

We battled through projects, side by side,
Creating memories we cannot hide,
From science experiments that went awry,
To winning the big game under a sunny sky.

The teacher's voice, stern yet kind,
Guiding us through unknown binds,
We found our voices, raised them high,
In classrooms where dreams could really fly.

But now the day has finally come,
For us to scatter, and run, run, run,
To different paths, we'll surely stray,
But the memories made will forever stay.

So let's raise a toast, raise it high,
To the school year that passed us by,
With bittersweet goodbyes, we say it loud,
Farewell, dear schoolmates, we are mighty proud!
Anyone who knows me would know I love a good book. And a fantasy is certainly the kind I will always reach for. Welcome to a world of warriors who can climb buildings like a gecko, swim like a fish or jump like a grasshopper, all with a few words and hand motions. Sora and Daemon are best friends, they are more than that they are Gemminas. As final year taiga apprentices they look forward to graduating to be full warriors of their countries warriors who are between police, army and secret service. As strange things start happening during the mid-autumn festival. A party in an uninhabited Vally and an attack on a temple and soon they must decide if they stay safe (for now) in the academy where their stories aren’t believed or go against orders to save the country and the beloved empress from a threat that was until now presumed dead.

With an evil sorcerer on the loose brandishing a power stronger than they believed possible, they only have one option. With the help of their friends Fairy and Broomstick, they go on an undercover mission to save the world.
This was a really good book. I enjoyed reading Sora and Daemon’s adventure through Kichona and reading about the two different kinds of magic. It was fun watching the characters interact and the care they had for each other. I am looking forward reading the sequel to get some more answers about how magic works and to see what Sora, Daemon, Fairy and Broomstick do next.
Tuna-Salad-over-Crackers-300x193.jpg

Ingredients
  • 1 can 6-oz albacore tuna in water, drained
  • 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon minced onion
  • 2 teaspoons minced celery
  • 1 teaspoon superfine mustard powder
  • A dash of ground black pepper
  • A dash of salt
  • 1 pack of soda crackers or snack crackers
Instructions
  1. Combine tuna, onion, and celery in a bowl. Using a spoon, mix all the ingredients together.
  2. Add mayonnaise and mustard powder. Continue to mix. Taste the mixture and add salt and pepper as needed. Make sure that the ingredients are well blended.
  3. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Scoop a tablespoon of the mixture and top over the crackers.
  4. Serve. Share and enjoy!
Student Poll
"What's your secret talent?"
By Giulia Alcott (Rowan)
3fd5c6ea97f076af6445087ef4d4f093563b7406.png
Gryffindor First Year
"How long you got, I can name all the Kaikora Kea members since the team's inception starting with-"
Santiago Torres
Gryffindor Second Year
"Uh, well… I’m pretty good at riding horses. If that counts."
Gregory Friend
Hufflepuff Third Year
"I don't have any talents, much less secret ones."
Chaos Zhefarovich II
Gryffindor Fourth Year
"My secret talent is that I can play a wide variety of instruments. My favorites are the drums and the violin."
3e6d16f9380ca071d962463971439404c40afa68.png
Slytherin Fifth Year
"Avoiding stupid questions."
Maisie Morvay
Gryffindor Sixth Year
"I have the most wonderful affinity for my crystals! Like for you, have this rose quartz! It's a calming stone, just keep it in your pocket to bring a gentle calm to your day to day activities!"
Eugene Nestor
Hufflepuff Seventh Year
"I don't think I have any....most of my talents I do things with (photography, singing) and barely hide them."
Professor Adorah Zumwalt
Astronomy Years 1-4
"I suppose a less known talent is that I can play the piano pretty well. My favorite thing to play is an old muggle song called "Moonlight Serenade.""
Editor's Note
By Giulia Alcott (Rowan)
That's another issue wrapped up, and there's nothing left to do but thank the rest of the team. This was a bumper issue, and everyone on the Hogwarts Monthly staff put their all into filling it with goodies for you to enjoy. We hope you've had as much fun reading this issue as we had making it, and wish you all a good holiday. Thank you once again to team Hogwarts Monthly, none of this would happen without you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back