Wand
Knotted 12 1/2 Inch Unyielding Beech Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
T H E H O G W A R T S M O N T H L Y: Y E A R 2 7 I S S U E 1

tumblr_ni2360LRar1slcvaio9_500.gif
</COLOR></FONT>
N E W Y E A R IS H E R E
</SIZE></SIZE>
<SIZE size="150">T​
he New Year is well underway now and Hogwarts Monthly welcomes everyone new and old!

So much happened last year that we hope this year is uneventful. We at Hogwarts Monthly would like to extend a warm welcome to the new Professors who have started here this semester as well. We say a complete goodbye to Professor Spenser the Ravenclaw head of house who left early last year and though we don’t have a replacement, yet we’re confident that the next head of house will be the embodiment of class, like the Ravens themselves. As a Ravenclaw myself I would like to especially say that we are a very good bunch of students and will definitely wait happily for our next Head. Until then, please remember to take all of your queries to the headmistress. Public Service Announcement as well guys, Professor Spenser’s class has been taken up by two Professors, Professor Styx (a girl Styx and not the Slytherin head, though I assume relation) and Professor Kaelan, who is apparently quite nice! Professor King will be taking over Potions for a short time as well, though I wasn’t able to figure out if he’s related to the headmistress or not, sorry guys.

On that note, we also have new Prefects and Head people! Starting with the Eagles we have Olivia Havelock and Orion Snow. For the Badgers its Viviana Nacht (why anyone would give her a badge is beyond me) and Carlotta Raven (our own dear editor). Next is Archie Renner and Ailsa Evans for the red lions and of course from the Snakes it’s Kayleigh Hunter and Hamish Kaster. I look forward to seeing how they all do. This year both head people are Ravenclaw, which is certainly a source of pride for me! Congratulations to Isaiah Jeffreys and Pia Morales.

Public service announcement part two guys, don’t forget to head to the Club Fair. Everyone should say hi to the new transfer student too! Shout out to the six new students. Invite some to Brightstone and show them around! I’m sure they would appreciate someone taking an interest in their lives!

As this particular section has been delivered to Carlotta quite late (sorry!) I’m going to add an extra section in here about Quidditch. That game was fierce! Ravenclaw beat Gryffindor 150-10, which is a very nice defeat I must say! The Slytherin and Hufflepuff game seemed to go on forever until finally, Slytherin fought to a win of 220-10, which left everyone exhausted. There were quite a few knockabouts on the pitch and Carlotta took two bludgers! We’re very happy she made it out alive I must say. We look forward to seeing how the numbers come up with the next game!

P.S: If you have a moment, you should go and see Avie's Rock, the tribute to student Avie Mitchell. It was unfortunate for what happened to him. He'll be missed.​
Author: Lisa McCellan​
<i>
</i>
T O P T E N Q U I D D I T C H P L A Y E R S
IE68EW6.gif

10. Lestat Styx

I have to hand it to this guy. He had a tough job, trying to fill Avie Mitchell’s shoes but he seems to be handling the job well and I look forward to seeing what he can do.

9. James Cade

For a while it seemed like there wasn’t a snitch James Cade couldn’t catch. His stock seems to have dwindled a little so he drops down my list but he still a very good seeker.

8. Alana Finch

If you ignore my own house bias Alana Finch is still a talent between the hoops. Keeper is a difficult position to play and I challenge anyone to play it before complaining about Alana’s performances. She is a good leader and a better player.

7. Teagan Maxwell

Continuing my love affair with keepers we turn to the crazy Ravenclaw keeper. This girl frustrates chasers no end, the problem for her and her team is her short temper. If the game isn’t going Ravenclaw’s way Teagan gets frustrated and lashes out. She’s this high on my list because she’s so entertaining.

6. Rudolf Lagowski

Well we know where all the talent went in the Lagowski family. His brother may have been made Hufflepuff captain but it is the twin in the Gryffindor corner who seems to have all the talent. Not to mention the bromance between him and seeker James is adorable.

5. Carlotta Raven

One of the few bright sparks in a terrible Hufflepuff team, I’m confident in saying without their seeker Hufflepuff would be even worse.

4. Zach Jordan

Zach has been around forever and will be missed by Ravenclaws when he graduates and leaves a hole in the team. Whoever steps in at beater to replace him will have some big shoes to fill.

3. Lydia Archer

Another bright spot on a bad team. The fact that both Felix Warrick and Isaiah Jeffreys failed to score against her in the latest Ravenclaw v Hufflepuff game. I think she is a highly underrated player.

2. Isaiah Jeffreys

How this guy can juggle being head boy and Quidditch captain all while being the best chaser on the Ravenclaw team is beyond me.

1. Charlotte Owens

This girl has surprised me. Charlotte has flown under the radar a little since joining the team but she has exploded onto the Quidditch scene as Slytherin’s number one chaser and was rightly appointed co-captain earlier in the season. Keep an eye on this girl because she will be a superstar.
Author: Diane Winters​
<i>
</i><i></i>
S T U D E N T S P O T L I G H T

Lennon: Hi I'm with the Hogwarts Monthly, I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions for the paper for a student spotlight?

Reuben: Um... yeah, cool! What's up?

L: As a fourth year, how do you feel being one of the youngest Quidditch captains at Hogwarts?

R: -nervous pause- It's, uh... It's pretty cool, I guess. Like, it's a pretty big honor. I wasn't
expecting it at all.

L: Don't you think Quidditch is too dangerous for anyone under fifth year to play?

R: Well, it's a dangerous sport, but people know what they're signing up for.

L: So you don't care that every single game results in someone being sent to the Hospital Wing?

R: W-what? Of course I care! What kind of question is that?

L: Well you pretty much just implied that students sign up for their own death sentences. As the captain, how do you feel being responsible for your teams' injuries for the sake of a trophy?

R: -getting upset- It's not a death sentence! People, like, hardly ever die. And anyway, these people would be getting injured even if I wasn't their captain. I'm not responsible for that.

L: -getting heated- But they do! Students that suffer more injuries earlier in life are more likely to worsen their chances of survival for fatal injuries! -huffs- And that's not even it! At Hufflepuff's last match some of your team players seemed to get physical with the opposing team. How do you feel about Quidditch making students unnaturally aggressive and potentially harmful to the student body? That type of aggression can't be normal, it's fueled by their Quidditch-adled minds!

R: -beginning to well up- I... I don't know! I don't know what any of this has got to do with me!

L: I - you're right, I'm sorry. We'll just end the interview here. Oh wait, uh - my editor also wanted me to ask...how do you think the rest of the season will go for you?

R: -sniffs- I don't know. Okay, I guess.

L: Okay well...good luck, I guess. I hope you don't die. Thank you for your time.​
<SIZE size="50">Author: Lennon Cohen-Knight​

</B>
<FONT font="Verdana"><COLOR color="#000">H O R O S C O P E S F O R E V E R Y O N E​
<i>
</i>
<B>Aries: There is little to stop the way this year has been progressing for you Aries, between the struggles of classes and the pressures to have friends, it has felt like a never ending struggle. There's nothing you've done that's managed to change it, but hope is on the way Aries, one last push, and things I assure you will improve. Whether it's meeting some new people, or just getting a good grade it'll turn around Aries. But, in saying all this, remember that while grades and friends are important there are larger things at play, good grades don't define your intelligence, having lots of friends doesn't define you either, the struggle is important, doing your bit in helping make this world a better place is far more important. Whether it's the in helping destroy capitalism, or in making quidditch safer, or making the planet fairer, they will define you more than an O in Styx's class will.

Taurus: Running full steam ahead into a new opportunity is never going to let you down Taurus, and whether this be just in joining a new club like the amazing wild patch, or the torturously mundane Student Defence Association, it will serve you well. Don't look back, it'll serve you better to just keep moving forward. Moving forward is always good, it'll give you more confidence and give you a new opportunity in love. Things may not always appear to be going your way, but trust me taurus this is for the best. There is little better in this world than keeping moving forward, moving forward to stop the relentless growth of capitalism and over production to allow our world to continue growing at it's own pace, a pace that will not destroy everything we hold dear. The new love that may enter your life may not be in the shape of a person, but a love for this world, for the friends around you, for fighting for change. Taurus don't hold yourself back, take a leap of faith and maybe consider joining the struggle.

Gemini: Much like the twins Gemini is known for you seem to be working well with your other half, whether a partner, best friend or soulmate the two of you seem to just be doing so well, but Gemini remember that relying too much on one person isn't always good. Much like the relationship between capitalism and the resources of the earth, they have worked together to make incredible leaps in technology but the capitalism is destroying the planet, and if you rely too much on the other person you can cause them to fail under the pressure. It is always good to have other friends, or give each other space. The analogy ends at what capitalism does to the planet because unlike the friendship that just requires time apart to keep it good, capitalism must be destroyed. Joining the cause will be a great way to spend time apart making new friends and achieving more with your life.

Cancer: With so much to do, it can almost be frustrating with the way your friends are being Cancer. Between the seriously terrible homework given by the astronomy professors or the amount of reading required for the charms lessons, it can sometimes feel hard to even be ahead of what you should be doing. It is easy to feel overwhelmed. But, Cancer, take time for yourself, your grades will be no better if you don't remember to take time for yourself. Whether this be in going to a party, or making new friends it doesn't matter. Each of these will open new doors to you. Trust me, Cancer, letting yourself have a little time isn't going to make things worse, and should it, remember classes are just another part of the wheels of capitalism moulding you into just another drone of the system. It's okay to take time for yourself, it is okay to fail. Break the chains of capitalism, the chains holding you back. Join the cause, fight to break free.

Leo: With the strength of the lion at your back, it's no wonder that you are managing so well at just about everything, and honestly, Leo, it's not going to get worse. Seriously, keep doing whatever it is you are doing because things are working out well for you, really well. You should be happy. This doesn't mean you can spread this good luck to others, join a new club like the brotherhood, or helping someone in your house out with their difficult arithmancy or transfiguration homework. Allow yourself to help out at the next school event, you will be rewarded by the fates who'll grant you good fortune. Or even better, rather than just relying on the fates to grant you good fortune go out and get it for yourself, join the struggle, help fight back against capitalism, the destruction of capitalism will create a fairer, better society that all people would benefit from. Join the struggle.

Virgo: With all these new opportunities arising in front of you, and it seems that none of them are particularly right, you don't know which to pick Virgo. Just jump into one, you will make new friends, meet new people and have even more doors opened to you. It will help you see who are your true friend and which people you should cut from your life. Like a wilting flower sometimes it's good to cut away things from your life. Allow yourself to be open to new opportunities and new people, and allow yourself to take these in both hands and move forward. Above all else be open to learn about new theories and new schools of thought, primarily you should open yourself up to that of those who talk about the destructive nature of capitalism. Capitalism takes without giving back unlike you who would be able to give back after each opportunity. The struggle is always open to people looking to for opportunities and for those who look to making new friends. Join the struggle, help bring the fight to capitalism and make the world a better place.

Libra: With the balance of the world in your favour, with good friends, and good times in abundance it is often easy to forget about the stresses of life, Libra. Of that homework still needing to be completed for History of Magic, of those other friends you have been neglecting. Even if things are going great it serves you better to remember classes, or family, to show those around you how much you care, to do your work. The balance of your world seems to be at the determent of some of those older friends, and while opening yourself up to new people and opportunities is always good, remember those who stuck with you the most. More than that, remember that while you are doing well with life there are those less fortunate, those who would like to have the same amount of friends or good times, and only with the destruction of capitalism is this achievable. Only when we tear down the old system and build a better world together without such a horrible system. A fairer and cleaner world. Join the struggle comrade!

Scorpio: Things are a little odd for you Scorpio, people around you aren't being like they used to, something has changed but no amount of changing that you attempt to do is fixing it. You don't know why they are like this, but just trust in those around you, in those whom you are close to and consider joining a new club or just visiting a new area of the school. There are ghost to interact with that would more than happy to share their wisdom. Working hard at your classes, or doing something new, like picking up a new elective or book will open new opportunities, it will create the opportunities for friends and it will serve you well Scorpio. There may be a few bumps along the way but all will work itself out, and you'll get out of this rut. More importantly what is crucial to know is that doing a little every day to help the planet, to help the environment, like remember to recycle, or not wasting too much food is a great way to allow things to change and create a positive impact. The destruction of capitalism will help end the destruction of the planet but before the revolution can come it is not a bad idea to help a little. Join the struggle, help heal the world.

Sagittarius: There is little doubt that with a few bad grades or the grades you weren't quite expecting it is difficult to feel joy Sagittarius, especially with escalating trouble elsewhere. And while there seems to be a storm ahead for you, have faith and keep working, things will get better. Join new clubs, the brother hood and sister hood are always happy to have new members, try to get on the monthly, expand yourself even if it seems hopeless. Go for more walks, visit the quidditch pitch. Just do what makes you happy and don't sulk in the dorm room. There is little that can be done there. Come visit the wild patch, where you will always find a friend. In a time when you are struggling know you will always have friends who will help you. Remember that this is a product of the crushing weight of capitalism, it benefits only the top percent of society. While it exists the unhappiness you feel will never have a chance of getting better. It may not solve all ills of society, but it'll create a better world we can be proud of. Join the cause, Sagittarius.

Capricorn: Capricorn, it has been intense for a little while, it seems to be hard to keep up with those around you sometimes, or the challenges you set yourself always seem out of reach. Remember that everything takes time and putting more pressure upon yourself will not help get things finished. Give yourself time, allow outside opinions, lean upon friends and family for instructions, for tips in achieving what you want. You should always remember that those around you want to help you, they want to be there for you, they want to see you achieve. But while achievements are vitally important and the achievements you make should never diminished, remember that under capitalism while you succeed another person has to fail. It is an unequal system, that calls for the over production of items, and doesn't pay it's workers fairly in it's pursuit of even greater profits, and treats all the people unfair. While you are able to succeed the person next to you will not. Join the fight against capitalism, join with your comrades and tear it down. Create a better, more equal world.

Aquarius: There is always so much happening in your life Aquarius, there seem to be no moments of rest. You feel like you are constantly working on one thing or another, whether it's working towards a new quidditch game, or that constant flow of work out of potions and herbology, it's fair that it would seem never ending, but don't worry Aquarius all the work you've been putting in lately in the things you've been doing will pay off, whether it's a good grade, a new opportunity or new respect it'll benefit you. Work hard and you will be rewarded, even under this harsh school system. Being rewarded under such a system is hard, you will feel the weight of the world upon your back and truly the only way to allow yourself more time for just you without any work is to destroy capitalism, we have nothing left to lose but our chains dear Aquarius. Join the struggle.

Pisces: The end of a long few weeks and a well deserved break are in order Pisces, you've truly deserved it. Helping so many people in the way that you have, you deserve probably double the amount of points that you have been getting. New opportunities are right on the horizon so enjoy this little break in life, spend some time reading that book you wanted to, or spending time with that friend. It's good to do things for yourself to do more for yourself. Life can be pretty hard sometimes you know that Pisces, so take all the good that you can, and remember that you'll never truly be alone, you have people, friends around you who are there for you. More than anything you know that the struggle against capitalism is the biggest fight we all have, that joining the fight will benefit you. Creating new opportunities and make things better for all, because it would create that fair world you seek. Join the fight back, show those in power, both at the ministry and in school that you've had enough of their unfair system.
Author: Orwell Brocken​
<i>
</i>

Editor's note: This issue would not have been possible if it weren’t for the tireless work of the Hogwarts Monthly Staff. We have all been busy this time of year, and this does not exclude staff members, Orwell Brocken, Lennon Cohen-Knight, Lisa McCellan and Diane Winters. I wish to thank each of them for their contributes to the working of the magazine, and would like to congratulate our intern, Lennon Cohen-Knight on his recent promotion to full-member of the team. He has worked hard with the magazine and we are all very proud of his hard work. Everyone has worked very hard on this edition and I give them my sincere thanks.
Carlotta Raven
Hogwarts Monthly Editor​
<i>
</i>​

OOCOut of Character:
This is super late, please ignore it. :r It is published IC before the start of second semester. Feel free to respond if you so wish. ^_^

Marisol was happily surprised when the Hogwarts Monthly was released at the breakfast table that morning. She wasn't too invested in the paper but it was a fun distraction from her own thoughts. The Gryffindor unfolded the paper and read through it, going from a small frown to a definite scowl once she read the entire list of the Top 10 Quidditch Players. She was probably biased but she was upset that Asaiah wasn't on the list of best Quidditch players. But worse than that, she was upset that Teagan had made the list when she wasn't even good. Her little tantrums on the field didn't make her any good, especially not good enough to get on a list, and over Asaiah.

Then of course there was James Cade on the list, who wasn't terrible if she had to admit, but he was Seeker on the Gryffindor team and that's the position she wanted the most. A position she would never get to play if he was still on the team because he was only a year older than her so he was still going to be here for a long time. Marisol sighed and looked down to see who wrote the article, officially considering their opinion invalid seeing as the person didn't even seem to be a Quidditch player.

Mostly Marisol was feeling frustrated because she just wanted to play on the team again, but she tried to get past that as she read the rest of the paper, laughing a little at the horoscopes. Aside from the anti-capitalist aspect of the segment, her horoscope seemed to be accurate to her situation, and she hoped the positive aspects of it would be right eventually.

The Hogwarts Monthly wasn't often something Charlotte read whilst eating her breakfast in the morning. But when the first issue of the year was released at the Slytherin table that morning, the girl couldn't help but take a little look at it. Her eyes widened at the mention of another Styx professor at the school, but Charlotte pretended she did not read that. Her fear for the Styx professor she did know was quite inadmissible and she wasn't going to let everyone around her realise that, especially considering it was her own head of house.

As Charlotte's eyes continued to scan the page, she came across the list of top ten quidditch players and began reading them from the tenth to the first. The girl smiled at James' name, and she was very happy to see her boyfriend's name written in the school magazine. Then came her captain's name, which she simply nodded at, and then James' friend Rudolf until eventually she came to her own name written beside the number 1. Charlotte raised an eyebrow at it and even used her finger to rub over it incase some crumbs from the toast she had eaten had fallen on it. That didn't seem to be the case, and she smiled at it, glad that she was recognised for her efforts on the pitch.

The next section of the magazine was quite upsetting for Charlotte to read. One of the writers were interrogating poor Reuben and Charlotte frowned at it, feeling quite sorry for the Hufflepuff. He should be proud to be the captain of the quidditch team but instead people were teasing him because his team did not win a match yet. The whole interview was absurd and Charlotte pulled a face at it once she finished reading, hoping to not have to come across Lennon Cohen-Knight ever in her life. He obviously didn't understand how Reuben was feeling and it made Charlotte upset. Once she was done with her breakfast, Charlotte stood up and took the magazine with her, eager to show her parents the part written about her.

Zara kissed the cheek of Asaiah as she sat down beside him, glad that they were able to share his house table without it being too much of a bother although she would've liked it if her best friend could join her too but she would have to just stick with his company for now as they spoke idly about the rest of their day and whether or not they could get to sneak off together sometime after class awhile she poured herself some cereal. When she had settled down again the Hogwarts Monthly had been posted and while the girl wasn't a fan of the paper because she knew that it was still under the control of the school and therefore the bourgeoise dictators she had to support Lennon. The girl skipped through the pages and articles not written by him but eagerly reading it all, giggling a little at her brother's summation before she turned to Asaiah and her cheeks flushed, realizing that this might not have been the best company to read the article in front of. Instead of bringing up it's content she said, "I'm so proud of Lennon." That was all before she folded the paper up again and continued on with their conversation, completely unaware that there might have been something frustrating to her boyfriend about anything in the paper except perhaps what Lennon had written but there was a sort of unspoken agreement not to bring up the topic too much although she wished they could because then he might understand why it was so scary for her to support Asaiah playing.

As proud as he was of himself for sticking to his morals during his story, Lennon was not looking forward to the publication of the Hogwarts Monthly. He knew that his story would get a lot of backlash because this school was unfortunately obsessed with the heinous sport. Try as he might not to care what a bunch of strangers thought about him, he couldn't help but watch the reactions of everyone reading the paper. He hoped his lack of social skills helped him keep a low profile so people wouldn't know him, but then again he and his sister had been gathering attention for their protests.

Judging by the other Quidditch article in the paper, most people were not too fond of the Hufflepuff captain, and Lennon did feel bad for perpetuating that opinion with his article, but it hadn't been his choice to interview that captain. He found it hilariously tragic that of all captains he was chosen to interview, it was the newest and least experienced, so he used that to his advantage when asking his hard hitting questions. He doubted any of the older captains would've put up with Lennon's questions but he was glad that now he had the experience to interrogate someone better for next time. Although the subject matter was not necessarily what his editor had asked for, he was glad that Carlotta had his back when it came to his article and he was glad to have been promoted to a full staff member finally. He finally felt like he was making progress.

Sloane was excited to see the new Hogwart's Monthly. She enjoyed reading about what the students thought were important and now that one of her Prefects was in charge, she felt the need to support it to the fullest extent that she could. However as she began to read over it, she felt justified in being a little put off by what was written. She hadn't expected it to call out Reuben Lagowski as it was and she was angered by the fact that she'd tried to explain to her students that she would not tolerate bullying, which was exactly what this could be considered as. She sighed and threw the magazine back at the table, looking around for Carlotta and pointing for her to follow her out of the Great Hall. She wasn't happy and Carlotta was about to discover just how not happy she was.

Carlotta would stand by the magazine, regardless of what anyone wrote in it. As long as it made sense, and was readable, the Hufflepuff felt that she didn't need to go about stepping on the articles - especially with the original censorship of past years not really being enforced at this very moment. After all, it was a hectic time of year. That was, until the prefect happened to look up whilst sipping her orange juice and saw her head of house - who was looking particularly displeased, and it was clearly focused on her as the woman pointed for her to follow. F#ck. Chugging her orange juice, the editor of Hogwarts Monthly begrudgingly excused herself from the Hufflepuff table and followed her Head of House, metaphorical tail between her legs.

Alana was quite pleased to see her name on the top ten list of quidditch players in the school. Sure, she was only number 8 but the description under her name was enough to make up for her position. "She is a good leader and a better player" she murmured to herself, unable to keep the smile off of her face though it dimmed slightly as she went further down the list. There was no way in this world that Teagan Maxwell or Lydia Archer should be lower on the list than her. Certainly not Lydia Archer. The Slytherin forced her eyes back onto the description of herself, making a point to seek out the writer of the article, a Slytherin named Diane Winters. Alana had no idea who she was.

Continuing on, the smile on the teenager's face froze as she read through the spotlight. If it could be called that. The writer hadn't been trying to spotlight Reuben, that was for sure. Glancing at the byline, Alana rolled her eyes. She couldn't be sure, but she had a feeling it was one of those kids that had protested the Ravenclaw tryouts. Alana hadn't been there, of course, but she'd heard about it. Shaking her head, Alana continued reading on to the horoscopes, which started off interesting and then ended...oddly to say the least. Finishing up her breakfast, Alana headed out of the room, needing to head back to her room to grab her books before class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back