Open Head in the Books

Sutton Spencer

Librarian, Living in a Fantasy World, Bookworm
OOC First Name
Sam
(Open After @Alexandra Morozova )

Sutton sat in the library, which was actually pretty full. She was lucky to have her own table all to herself, even though it was difficult to find through the masses of students. The library was always full this time of year, right before exams. Sutton herself rarely visited this place of quiet, but she knew it needed to be done. Don't get her wrong, she loved books. But not quite the textbooks and fiction books that filled the Hogwarts Library. Give her a fantasy any day, but a textbook full of Astronomy diagrams were not quite her thing. At least Astronomy was slightly interesting compared to many of her more challenging classes this year.

The young Ravenclaw girl sat with her eyes skimming the chapters of her Astronomy textbook. Her notes were open beside her taking up even more room on the table. This was not quite her idea of fun. Sutton had a million other ways that she would much prefer to spend her day. But this was what was needed for the moment. Sutton hummed softly to herself as she skimmed the pages, her head in the book or maybe just maybe her head was still up in the clouds.

Gradually she learned English and was slow to speak. It was a good feeling when she was slowly coming along. Alexandra smiled as she entered the library. There was a pleasant atmosphere and the room was filled with the smell of books. She noticed a famous girl she met at the Yule ball at the time. She shrugged her Ravenclaw bag and sighed. She could get to approach her and address her. "Hey, can i study with you? I promise, don't bother" She asked the girl softly with her russian accent.

Sutton was rereading over some of the pages on the inner planets, as she heard a voice next to her. She looked up, a little bit in a daze. She had been lost in thought or was it considered studying? Either way the young Ravenclaw girl was a little startled to hear someone talking to her. She smiled at the girl she vaguely recognized. Another house mate, Sutton knew that much.

"Oh of course" Sutton said towards the girl with a bright smile. "The library is pretty packed right now. Everyone gets so frantic this close to exams." She added as she moved some of her notes aside, placing her backpack on the floor instead of right in the middle of the table. She cleared as much room as she could for the young girl. "There you go!" She said happily patting the table space across from here that was now clear.

She smiled and happily took her place. Alexandra felt relieved that she wouldn't have to look for another place or worse and would have to sit on the ground to be with everything. She didn't want to take it off and Alexa knew it would be too much. Brunette took her stuff out of the bag and slowly arranged everything to the table. "Thanks!" Alexa smiled the girl. "That true. Are you ready for exam? I not sure if i be good and ready for them". Alexa was woried about exam and mayby she don't get it some words and what that mean? She felt bad for that but she will be okey and hoped that she will br good

Sutton noticed a slight accent as the girl spoke. Russian perhaps? She was not quite sure. Sure she could have guessed, but she did not feel like insulting the girl who was speaking English just fine. Sutton knew how difficult it was to learn a new language. The young girl pushed her thoughts aside as she listened to the other student. Sutton nodded her head a few times as the other girl spoke, indicating that she was listening but also in a way agreeing with the thoughts about exams. Was anyone ever truly ready?

The young girl's eyes looked down at the book for a moment as the question was posed. It was almost as if she hoped her Astronomy book would indicated if she as ready for exams for not. Realizing this was a silly act, Sutton looked over at the girl who now had her own study materials spread about the table as well. "Umm" Sutton began shaking her head as her blonde braids went slightly from side to side. "I'm not sure I'm exactly ready, but I don't think I'd fail" Sutton answered, knocking on the wooden table a few times as if not to jinx herself. She was a little superstitious and risking her grades did not seem worth it. Her family would be so disappointed if her grade did not pick up this year.

Sutton knew she should get back to studying but part of her wanted a little break. And after all they were talking about exams so the young Ravenclaw was not entirely procrastinating. "Which exam do you think will be the worst?" Sutton asked. It was a tie between potions and transfiguration for her, but she was genuinely curious what Alexandra thought.

Skylar walked into the library, desperate to study. Her exams this semester consisted of Potions, Charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts, but at least there were only 3, but then again some were quite difficult. Her hands full of notebooks, she glanced around the packed library, hoping to find a spot. She finally noticed one just next to two Ravenclaw girls that she knew were in her year. She'd never really talked to them, but she hoped it wouldn't matter. She walked over, dodging stacks of books that students had obviously used but left on the floor. She wondered what the librarian thought about that, surely she wouldn't like it? After picking her way through the maze of books, she made it to the table just in time to hear one of the girls say which exam would be the hardest. Deciding to answer as a way of greeting, Skylar replied. "I reckon Potions will be the hardest! There are just so many ingredients to remember..." she said, sighing at the end at the mere thought of having to remember not only the ingredients but all of their properties too. Then deciding not to be rude, she also introduced herself, "Hey, I'm Skylar, mind if I sit with you? The library is packed and I couldn't find a spot elsewhere..." she hoped they wouldn't mind, since she really needed to get back to studying.

Sutton was surprised as yet another student joined her attempt at studying. She had not been this social all year. Finally she was trying to get some work done. Maybe this was good after all. Sutton honestly needed to get more acquainted with students of her year, even if she did not get as much studying done as she wanted. That would come later. It was nice to have a break from staring at her textbook, slightly zoning out, her mind in an entirely different world. The young blonde looked up at the new arrival, a Gryffindor girl who was in her Potion's class.

She smiled at the girl. Her answer to the question posed was relatable. At least Sutton was not the only one who was worried about the upcoming potions exam. "Hey Skylar" She said in a friendly tone, her smile bright towards the girl. "I'm Sutton" She added feeling as if introductions were needed at the moment. "Of course you can join. There is almost no room anywhere else. They definitely need more space or less difficult exams" She said trying to move her notes closer to her to make some space. It was difficult with all the parchment, but Sutton managed to create some space for the young girl. "Potions is definitely something" She added thinking back to this semester. "But as long as I don't catch the classroom on fire for exams, I'd say that is a bonus" She added, not quite sure if she was joking or sharing some of her worry. What a story that would make! But she knew she could not go home and explain that to her parents. Sutton placed her notes on her textbook, covering the pages. The chapter was serving no use anyway and her notes this semester were good enough to use for revision.

She smiled in appreciation as Sutton told her she could join them. She sat down, placed her Gryffindor bag on the floor and began taking everything she'd need out. Her parchment, ink, quill, book full of notes, and some flashcards that she'd made after seeing Emmaline use hers. She spread it out on her small section of the table and tried to keep it somewhat neat, so she wouldn't intrude on the other two girls' space. Once she was sure she had everything ready, she grinned at Sutton as she said she'd be happy as long as the classroom didn't catch on fire. "Same! I only managed to properly make one of the potions this year, so I'm definitely nervous for how it'll go in the exam..." she frowned, remembering her other two attempts. Although they hadn't gone too badly, they hadn't gone perfect either. "So, how are you guys studying for it? We can't exactly practice making potions ourselves, so if I'm being honest I need some ideas on what to do and how to revise so I don't fail. Do you have any tips?" she asked, nodding to @Alexandra Morozova as well as she said it, wondering whether the other Ravenclaw girl had any ideas. Her notes were fine and all, but it got a bit tiresome reading them over and over again, especially when the words began to blur and swim on the page when she read them one too many times.

She felt weird when another girl came to her both company. She was not sure if she was good listener with big companies. Yes, she has a big family and lot of sisters and brothers but still she felt weird and she missed her brother who loved all the time with her make some troble with poition. "I not sure, if i'm afraid exams but i realy love poitions and i wanted all my life with poition making our something like that. History of magic is realy good to" She answered her with her accent and get a little woried and hoped she say right words. She loved history to and she was thinking later work Romonow castle our Winter palace and tell lot of storie about her home and what happened. "Hi, my name is Alexandra!" She say another girl with smile.

"We can do that but what you wanted make? Mayby we need some extra poition helped homework
?" She asked.

Ooc: So sorry for late. I was long days for work.

Skylar gasped as Alexandra said she loved potions. How could anyone love that subject?! It was cool that she did though, if only Skylar had the same love for it, maybe she'd actually do ok in the exam. She was definitely more of a charms/DADA kind of girl, basically more wand stuff rather than potions and ingredients stuff. But she was also excited for next year's Care of Magical Creatures... realising she was going off topic a bit and no longer focusing on her potions work, Skylar focused again just in time to hear Alexandra say how she wanted to revise. "Oh umm, I was thinking whether you had any tips for memorising the different ingredients? There's so many of them I don't know how I'll ever remember them all..." she had begun to open her book of notes to the potions section when she saw her flashcards in the corner of the table. "Oh wait, we could try with flashcards!" before realising that maybe the other girls didn't want to use flashcards though, she quickly backtracked. "Well actually, I could use the flashcards, I'll leave you guys to your own studying." she added with a sheepish grin, knowing that she'd already taken up enough of their study time with her talking.

Sutton listened to the conversation between the two girls for a moment. She was surprised that Alexandra enjoyed potions, but someone had to. It just wasn't exactly Sutton's cup of tea, so to say. But she was going to try to make it, or at least get a decent grade. It was difficult to memorize some of the ingredients and what they did as well as what they looked like. Definitely not interesting. Brewing was more interesting, it had that hint of danger, but Sutton also knew it required a lot of focus, something the young blonde girl did not have much of.

When Skylar mentioned that she made Flashcards, Sutton was genuinely surprised. That seemed like a lot of extra work, but it certainly was not a bad idea. "To be honest I've just been rereading notes and the textbook for Potions..and everything else." She admitted. "Not sure if that is the best method. Flashcards seem like a good idea though." Sutton said wondering if she could make some, or maybe Skylar would let her borrow them. It was not like they were close or anything though. It may be too much to ask of a random classmate. She decided to turn to her notes once more for a moment. She would rather be reading anything interesting beside this. Why did exams have to be so difficult.

Sutton read over a few paragraphs in her notes, not sure if she was really taking information in at this point. She did not seem like a Ravenclaw in that aspect. She always wondered if she was sorted into the wrong house. She looked up at the girls at her table once more. 'I wish textbooks were more interesting." She said not sure if it was more for herself or the other girls. Sutton shook her head slightly. There had to be a better way.

Skylar laughed at Sutton's expression when the Ravenclaw heard her say she'd made flashcards. It was true they'd taken a while to make, but on the other hand they did seem to be proving pretty useful as she felt she was finally beginning to be able to associate names of ingredients with descriptions and properties, although not yet well enough to do decent in the exam... "I'm sure rereading notes isn't a bad option either, each person has different study methods I guess." she shrugged in response to Sutton's wondering about her own study methods. "Thanks, I hope they work!" she added when Sutton said they were a good idea.

Deciding to finally get back into studying Skylar let the conversation come to a natural end and began going through her stack of flashcards. Horned Slugs, Billywig Stingers, Rat Tails... it wasn't long before the words began swimming before her eyes and she had to take a break. Almost as if on cue, she heard Sutton say she wished textbooks were more interesting. "Same! They just have blocks and blocks of writing, one after the other, how do they expect us to focus?" Skylar certainly knew it didn't work too well for her, hence the flashcards idea. Realising that maybe it'd be more fun to actually go through them together, she glanced at the two girls on the table. "Hey, do you want to try going through my flashcards together? I reckon they're a lot more interesting than the textbooks." she said with a grin. It'd be fun to go through them together, but only if it worked for the other girls too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back