Happy New Year!

When Geo had spotted him she got a large smile on her face which made Perry a lot happier. Holiday at home was the best, but holiday with Geo was a good second. Geo hugged Perry and Perry hugged back. She always smelled so lovely. Perry smiled and nodded. ''My parents decided to travel last minute and I couldn't go with them.'' Perry muttered ''And if you are younger there needs to be an adult to check up on you'' Of course Perry had some uncles and aunts, but he didn't want to stay there. It wasn't the same as home and although they were lovely people Perry had changed. He knew magic now and he wasn't allowed to tell everyone. He didn't want to spend a holiday full of lies about a sports scholarship. They walked over to the refreshment table and Perry grabbed a glass of juice. ''Do you want something?" Perry smiled and looked at Geo.

Autumn was disappointed when Geo left her alone at the party but she knew that she couldn't hog the host all night. Hopefully, she would be able to get her alone at midnight for a new years kiss. In the meantime, she decided to look out for her brother and see what he was doing. It was no surprise to her that Austin was stood alone with a drink in his hand but what was a little weird was that he was staring at the girl by the fire. "Isn't she a friend of Margo's?" She asked as she approached him."You should say hi,"

Austin rolled his eyes as he walked away from his sister and Geo. He had been hoping to spend more time with his fellow Hufflepuff but it wasn't to be so he went off to see if there was anyone else he knew at the party. It became clear there wasn't so Austin helped himself to a drink and just watched the party unfold. His gaze being drawn to Margo's friend Odette who started off sitting alone only to be joined later by someone. Austin wasn't sure how long he was standing on his own but suddenly he heard the voice of his sister suggesting he talk to Odette. Austin shook his head. "I don't think so, I like my head where it is thanks,"

Odette tried to tune out Geo and whoever her little boyfriend was and focus on the fire, but she felt like she was being watched and looked up to see the Branning twins looking at her. They appeared to be talking about her, which made her tense. A scowl appeared on her face and she stared at them in challenge, waiting for them to look away or tell her what they wanted from her. Austin was the guy that was always trailing after Margo like a puppy, if he was hoping for some sort of favor on that front he was too late. Odette was sure Margo would never talk to her again. She only really remembered talking to Autumn on the train the very first day, but she hadn't had a very good impression of her. She wondered if they were gossiping about her, or maybe about her hair. It made her uneasy.

Autumn noticed Odette look over and the look she gave the twins was not a friendly one. It was as if she knew they were talking about her but the look proved she had no idea what they were actually saying about the Slytherin. "She's knows we're talking about her we need to go over," Autumn told her brother who seemed to strongly disagree with her. She wasn't sure if he didn't like her because she was a strong personality and that put him off or if it was something to do with Margo either way for once it seemed like she couldn't convince him to go with her. "Find you do what you want, go see if Geo's free or something just don't stand around like a creep," Autumn laughed and walked away from her brother towards the dark haired Slytherin by the fire. "Odette right?" She asked tentatively. "My names Autumn I don't know if you remember me but we met on the train in first year, you mind if I sit?" She asked.

Austin looked over at Odette sheepishly a couple of times, she didn't look happy with the pair but then she never looked happy. He couldn't believe that Autumn wanted to go over and talk to her. Austin hoped his sister didn't have a thing for her too. He couldn't keep up with his sisters infatuations and wasn't sure he even wanted to. "Fine have fun, careful she doesn't bite your head off," He scoffed and wandered away from his sister though he wasn't sure where he was heading.

Geo nodded as Perry explained that his plans had changed surrounding the holidays, although in all fairness it did sound nice to be able to go on holiday with a family, but perhaps next year he'd have better luck. As host, the third year had been doing her best to make sure those on the cliffs were catered for a happy, and her eyes had been dancing around the area in search of anyone who may have needed her. Sure she wanted to enjoy her night too, but it wasn't the priority. She barely registered that she'd been asked a question, as her eyes had found a student who seemed to be a little lost like a deer in the headlines as they were pushed out of a conversation at the fireplace. "What.. Oh, I'm actually okay thank you." she smiled back to the Gryffindor, but took a few steps out to fall in the line of one of the members of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team. "Sorry, um, Austin right?" she asked the boy, glancing between him and Perry before quickly taking him by the arm and pulling him back over to where she'd be previously stood with her friend. "Have you met Perry?" She'd never been particularly good at introducing other people but she'd be damned if anyone at her party felt outcast. "Perry's a third year like me. He helps me a lot during our classes, not sure I'd be doing quite as well if it weren't for him." she said, turning her head back to the Gryffindor with a grin. When all her other friends were sidetracked, Perry was still there for her to lend a hand. "Austin here's on the Quidditch team, though if I were you I'd stay out of his path because he makes a mean Beater," she teased with a wink, nudging his arm lightly with her own. In a few minutes it would soon be midnight, and knowing Geo would soon need to make the last of her preparations, she hoped the pair would stay to see the night through.

Gilly had been sitting in her dorm, when she'd heard the rumblings about some New Years party. The girl had considered not going, but wasn't like she had anything better to do with her evening, with her new year, so why not. Her brother was off somewhere else, the pair had decided to remain at Hogwarts and well, Gilly was somewhat regretting it now. Though the only difference between her and home was that she would have Norton to hang out with. So, despite her better judgement, the girl snuck out of the dorm, and headed to where the rumours had it. She was careful and slow and eventually found what she was looking for. It was surprisingly busy and unsurprisingly Gilly didn't know any of them. Or well, that wasn't entirely true, she knew them, just not personally. They were all people from her year group, the main girl she'd know from classes, Geo or something, she had the weird hair. Gilly felt awkward and she wished she hadn't come. Why would she want to spend time around people she didn't know like this. But she was here now, and she had risked it to be out there in a place that was after all technically forbidden. Gilly wished she'd thought to find Norton before she'd come, at least then she might've been able to follow him along as he greeted people regardless of if he knew them. Gilly stood awkwardly at the edge, wondering if there was still time to leave without being noticed, though hoping to swipe a marshmallow on her way out.

Odette's frown only deepened as Autumn moved over to her. She felt herself tense up, ready to chase off yet another person. She had no idea what the brunette could want from her, but didn't think it was anything good. Odette nodded. "I remember." She said shortly, mostly remembering their interaction as unpleasant. Though she had tried her best to appear friendly, even if she was being a little dismissive. She now no longer had any of those pretenses. "You can sit wherever you want." She added with a shrug, aware that she hadn't said no to her question.

Parties weren't really Perry his thing, but Geo was here and the others seemed nice as well. Geo was tugging his arm and taking him to meet someone new. He barely knew anyone here which made it harder to chitchat. Geo introduced him and she was overly generous. ''You would probably do better without me, I keep you of your work with my stupid questions'' Perry smiled, he wasn't very studious, but Geo had pulled him through. Geo had answered his questions and helped him on his way with the stupid subjects he took. ''Mhmhm, that sounds like a good idea'' He liked Quidditch, but there was no way he could make it into the Gryffindor team. There were too many people wanting to join the team and Perry just wasn't confident enough.

Austin listened as Geo introduced her friend Perry, he looked at the boy and wondered just how close the pair were which made him feel an unwelcomed feeling of jealousy. "Nice to meet you Perry," He said calmly. Austin scoffed when Geo said she might not be doing as well without Perry's help. "Oh I'm sure thats not true," He smiled at her. Laughing at Geo's beater comment he aimed his response at Perry. "Don't worry, I left my club in my dorm," He added with a laugh.

The party seemed to be going just as well if not better than Geo could have hoped for. Her friends seemed to be enjoying themselves and those she'd met that evening were chatting amongst themselves as the celebrations to the opening of the new year went on, the countdown not too far away. The third year chuckled at the boys comments, 'Hey Perry there's no such thing," she smiled at her classmate, knowing that it was important to have discussion as much as it was being fed information from the spoon. As the blonde turned to finish the last of the evenings preparations, she hoped they wouldn't mind being left on their own to bond for a few minutes. She wanted this evening to be special for everyone involved and that meant adding a final touch.

A few spells later and Geo had set the timer for the fireworks along the edge of the cliffs. No one was near the edge and so it made a perfect ground for the entertainment and not wanting to cause anyone or anything injury, Geo had left the space free for such the purpose. She lept a few feet back, before turning to face the gathering that had joined this evening. "Hey everyone." She began to call out, waving her hands in the air to get their attention, it wasn't like they were going to want to miss it. "30 seconds until midnight. I'm so glad you came down here tonight, and I hope everyone has an amazing evening and an even better 2046!" She added, her voice reaching across the small crowd under the sky. She raced back to her position beside the boys, her eyes peering out across towards the edge of the cliff as she glanced at her watch. "Are you ready?" She said is barely more than a whisper to her companions. "Ten, nine.." the countdown began, the seconds building up to midnight as she called out the words for everyone around them. "Three.. two..one.. Happy New Year!" She called out with a laugh just as the fireworks began to light up the sky. Yellows, reds blue and greens sparked against the blanket of the night, mixed with vibrant purples as the celebrations of first day of the year turned over. She looked back to those standing beside her, her eyes sparkling against the wide smile on her face, excitement of the party and its success giving her the sense of happiness she'd missed over the last few months. She only wished her other friends could be here too. As her gaze rested on another's, she surprised herself to find a pull on her heart strings, something she'd not overly experienced towards another so strongly for a while. She had no idea how he felt towards her and besides, they only just met, but it wasn't as though that had stopped her before. Shed been in this position once before and it hadn't ended well, but the longer she paused with her eyes boring into his with the explosions around them barely audiable over the sound of her heartbeat, the more she realised in those few seconds it wasn't like it was before. Unable to put the thought from her mind, and justifying her actions to herself simply as a friend welcoming in the new year, Geo gradually moved herself slightly closer to the Hufflepuff beater, her lips barely grazing his for a few seconds before she moved back, as if afraid for the first time in her life that she was over stepping boundaries. She turned her head back to the fireworks with a quick apology and while her eyes were forward her mind was elsewhere. She'd always been so forward, so direct, but as the years went on she could feel herself shifting, and becoming more aware. "Happy New year" she added under her breath, wondering what exactly this one was going to bring.

Austin smiled at the boy awkwardly as Geo went off to do her party host duties. He mostly made small talk with him until Geo reappeared for the countdown. He was surprised she had returned to them for the most important part of a new years eve party but perhaps she was even closer to Perry than he thought. As the new years count down got closer and closer Austin began to wonder what the new year would bring, and as he was about to wonder off in search of his sister when he noticed Geo making her way toward him. Once the fireworks began to go off, everything happened so fast Austin could barely register what was going on. Before he knew it Geo's lips were on his. It was crazy, they had just met, she seemed to get on with his sister more and yet, for as brief as it was, it felt good, it felt right.

Geo pulled away after the briefest of kisses and left Austin speechless. What could he do? What could he say? Was he even capable of speaking or had the blood left his brain? In a moment of either madness or bravery Austin walked over to Geo who had put a little distance between the two. "Geo," He said quietly, barely above a whisper but enough to get her attention. With her piercing eyes meeting his he placed his hand on her cheek and pressed his lips to hers. It was a little longer, a little deeper than their last but it was still all too brief. Austin pulled away and once again lost for words. Had he overstepped the mark? Maybe Geo was just observing the NYE tradition. He was such an idiot. "I'm sorry," Austin mumbled and quickly walked away from his fellow Hufflepuff. Unsure how he'd ever be able to look her in the eye again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back