Gryffindor Pride First Practice

"Nice one Taylor" Hilary cried out when she saw the new seeker catch two out of four balls. "I remember the first time Bruin did that to me one of them hit me on the forehead." She laughed at herself a little hoping that if the second year saw how laid back she could be that she'd maybe loosen up a little herself. "Try another" she finished as she tossed just one ball, but only about a foot above her where it started falling fast. She wanted to test the diving skills of the new player before she started teaching her tricks and techniques.

"these things are mad" she said as she watched Cyndi answered her questions "I have been trying different things on my broom. i'm trying to work my Gymnastics into my broom flying, it would be fun" she said as she smiled before she stradeled on her broom and lifted herself up into a handstand. "I just have to work on my balance and speed, i can only do certain moves while flying" she said as she came back down and sat on her broom.
"Bludger back bear sounds interesting, do you have a... signiture move?" she asked curiously Kida watched Cyndi watch a bludger go to her and she swung and missed she smiled "bummer they like to tease you by doing that" she laughed

"Ok girls. How about if I zoom in at him really fast then swing the quaffle around my back to fling it to one of you. Like a basket ball pass except without the dribbling" she grinned as she looked at her team-mates, roomies and best-mates to boot.

Taylor laughed lightly, "Well if I hadnt have caught the one in front of me, it might have done just that." She grinned, thinking back to practise sessions with her Dad, she had had more than enough lumps on her head to last a life time.

Hilary warned her about the next one she was about the throw, but was caught of guard when she let it drop not far from her. Taylor gripped her broom as best she could and flew into a dive. As she swooped down, she stuck a few fingers out of one hand. She still had the two golf balls in each hand. She hadnt dived fast enough, or perhaps low enough to catch the small ball, but she felt it hit her finger tips and she flicked it up, then came to a halt. She was then able to catch it firmly in her hand, where she also clutched the previously thrown ball, as it came back down again. She knew a snitch wouldnt be that easy to push around, but it was a start. She flew back up to Hilary's height and threw her back the three balls, with a small smile.

Hilary laughed slightly at the resourcefulness of the young seeker. While the dive hadn't been the greatest and she still had a golf ball in either hand, she managed to work with it and caught the golf ball. Hilary then felt though that she should pass on a slight piece of advice when she returned to her level. Catching the golf balls with not a super amount of difficulty she said "Great use of circumstance but in a game with a snitch it is best to not stop moving." She continued "You don't have to fly your hardest and fastest all the time darting to every corner of the pitch and doing laps around others, but do keep moving. Don't just hover and wait for the snitch to fly past you because when it does it'll be doing it to tease you and by the time you get your broom to full speed it'll be out of sight again" She looked over at the first year and realized how much she was talking "Sorry, maybe I'm going too fast, do you have any questions?" she said giving Taylor a smile.

Taylor listened to Hilary's advice that actually was rather helpful. It made a lot of sense and truth was Taylor had never looked at it that way before. She nodded once more when Hilary finished, but shook her head lightly when the older girl asked if she had any questions. "Nah, your not going to fast, Im good." She said with a smile, letting Hilary know the information wasnt too much, although she appreciated that Hilary took it into consideration, just in case she was having trouble processing all the information.

Cyndi smiled at the mention of gymnastics. "You should really talk to Kiera about that...she's a Gymnast too!" Cyndi exclaimed. "Balance is definitely important, especially since you'll only have one hand on your broom and sometimes you have to reach to catch the bludger off guard. Speed isn't as important unless the bludger really gets far away from you."

Cyndi laughed as Kida missed the bludger too. It seemed to be playing a game with them now. As it flew nearby, Cyndi swung the bat and finally came in contact with the bludger. "Ha!" Cyndi said as it soared back toward Kida. Cyndi continued to answer her question. "I don't know if I have a signature move." She tried to think about it but couldn't come up with anything, "I mean I'm sure I do but I'm too busy smacking the bludger away from my teammates to notice. Now, you've got me curious..."

"oh really cool!" She said with excitement "i used to do mainly beam work, so i think i have good balance" she smiled "Bludgers like to play tricks on you so that could proberly throw off my balance" she said as she sat on her broom with no hands.
Kida watched Cyndi finally hit the bludger "Yay!" she said laughing, she watched it come back to her and quickly swung her bat hitting the bludger and directing it away from her back towards Cyndi. "well do you have a special way to hit the bludger?" she asked curiously "that would be me, making people think" she smiled

"Alright I was just checking" Hilary said with a smile. She took a quick glance over at the other groups wondering if she was up to speed when it came to how much she was teaching her new 'mini-me'. They all seemed at pretty much the same place in their training as Taylor was. Also from what she saw of Bruin, their time together may be pretty close to done. "Okay, so Taylor.... why don't we leave our corner of the pitch and go in search of the snitch? That is if you think you're ready..." Hilary trailed off not wanting to push the training on too fast if the second year wasn't ready for it. "Even if we don't find it, interfering with the others is so much fun in itself. Though in a game it is the other team you want to mess with rather than your own." Hilary stuck out her tongue slightly and waited for the younger student's response.

Cyndi took a mock bow on her broom as Kida cheered her on for hitting the bludger. "It depends on who I'm targeting. If I want to hit someone close, a regular swing will do like you just did. If I really want to get it out of the section and away from our guys, I usually use a really hard backhand swing." Cyndi smiled as she readied her bat, and with a strong follow through Cyndi smacked the bludger with a backhand as hard as she could. The ball soared toward the North hoops and Cyndi watched to see if it would actually go through one of the hoops.

Taylor glanced over to the captain as Hilary did, noticing him flying about and making sure everyone was doing the right thing. When hearing her name, Taylor snapped her attention back to Hilary who asked if she wanted to go in search of the snitch. She nodded once, "Sounds good to me." She said, eager to have a try. She had only ever searched for a snitch with her Dad in the backyard. There was that one time at school, but there were several snitches, so that didnt count. She chuckled lightly at Hilary's statement. "So true." She said as Hilary told her it was the other team they needed to mess with instead of their own.

Andy laughed at Kat before she realised her bestfriend was completely serious.
"I'll tell you later Kat. Come on or practise will be over soon" she tucked the quaffle under her arm tighter leaned low on her broom and sped towards Mike. It looked as if she were gunning for him completely, as if she were going to crash right in to him she was going so damn fast. With one fluid motion and Andy would never know how she actually managed it, She tossed the ball behind her back towards Kat and pulled up her broom a metre or so from Mike so that she climbed steadily and swerved hard so she could see if Kat caught the quaffle or not.

Kat merely nodded when Andy said she'd explain it later. Leaning forward on her broom to gain some speed she followed Andy towards the hoops that Mike was guarding. When her best friend threw the quaffle behind her back Kat dropped down a few feet, getting underneath it and having it land right in her open arms. She smirked and picked up speed again, heading straight towards Mike and when she got close enough she launched the quaffle as hard as could towards the left hoop. Once again she had that dizzy feeling overcome her, but as always she closed her eyes until it subsided thinking to herself This cold really has knocked me for a loop.

Bruin was extremely pleased the way Hilary and Taylor were working together and noticed that Cyndi and Kida were similarly impressive in their handling of the bludger. He turned his attention to the Chasers who were now bearing down on Mike, admiring the speed and grace with which they flew together. Suddenly, Andy fired this insanely unexpected behind the back pass to Kat and rocketed heavenwards. Kat, meanwhile, collected the Quaffle and fired it at the far hoop. If Mike saved it, well, it would be a miraculous save. It appeared that Bruin had been right to suggest Andy give Chaser a try and he began copying down some notes for the playbook.

Bruin looked at his watch and decided that he would call the group in soon. As far as team building and skill development, Bruin would be giving his team an A+ for their efforts today.

Kida smiled when Cyndi smacked the bludger down to the north hoops "good shot" she smiled as she watched it soar towards the rings "i wonder if it will score" she joked as she looked around "Did Bruin only Release one bludger" she asked curiously, looking around for a bludger that might strike out of no where.

Mike outstretched his arms, making him look big, hoping to off put Andy. Mike also noticed Kat tagging behind her. Mike was not one to back down from confrontation and braced himself as it seemed that Andy would clatter into him. Clenching his teeth, Mike barely managed to keep his eyes open, when Andy diverted the collision, and ascended above him... with no quaffle in her hands. Mike desperately looked for the quaffle and saw it in Kat's hands. Mike watched as she zoomed towards him and when she threw it, Mike moved his arms, attempting to make the save. It would be close. Mike felt his fingertips grasp the material of the red quaffle, and tried to divert it away from the goal. The moments seemed like forever, and it seemed as though the quaffle would go in, when all of a sudden, Mike had luckily got enough of a touch onto the quaffle to divert it away from his right hoop. Mike managed to grab back onto his broom, regaining his balance and soared off to grab the quaffle which was plummeting to the floor. Mike offloaded it, a smile on his face. It was a very difficult one to save but it seemed he had done the job. Mike waited for round 2.

Kiera smiled as her roommates almost put the Quaffle through the hoop. Mike was an excellent keeper. She could tell this year was going to be a good one. Kiera pointed her broom into a dive. She swooped down and snatched the falling Quaffle. She flew back to the center pitch and waited for her friends to join her.

Andy swung around and flew down towards Kiera who had retrieved the quaffle. She smiled over at Kat.
"Ok it was a good effort on our part, any other ideas. He only barely made that save so we gotta come at him with something harder and faster maybe" she looked to Kiera and Kat waiting for instruction from the more experienced chasers.

Kiera frowned as she thought about what Andy had said. "I think that the key is confusing him. We need to pass the Quaffle quickly and be sneaky about it. If he has trouble following the Quaffle, it will be harder for him to see it in time to save it." she said grinning. She looked at Kat to see what she thought.

"Gonna have to sneak attack him...Kiera I think it's time for you to bust out some of those fancy moves of yours," Kat said with a goofy grin on her face.

Andy nodded in agreement.
"Yeah I know I always had a hard time saving your quaffles" she smiled and swerved on her broom, momentarily distracted as her gaze shifted down to Bruin. She could have sworn her heart beat picked up a few paces but blamed it on the adrenaline rush of being out on the pitch with the team. Her gaze lingered before giving herself a small shake to focus on Kiera and Kat.
"So with that in mind, what's the state of play?"

Kiera grinned when Andy said she had trouble saving her Quaffles. That was quite a compliment. Kiera thought for a moment before coming up with a plan. She motioned for the two girls to come closer. Kiera whispered her plan to them. ((pm))
"What do you think?" she said grinning.

"Oh I think we can more than manage that," Kat said with a sly grin on her face as she moved into position to start their play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back