Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Straight
Wand
Straight 12 1/2 Inch Sturdy Wenge Wand with Acromantula Web Core
Hyun had been surprised when a Professor got in contact with him about helping out a new transfer student a couple of years younger than him. But he supposed it made sense, especially when he learned that the new kid was also from a Korean background as well. And Hyun did also have the experience of being a transfer student himself, last year had been his first year at Ilvermorny and time had flown since then, now he was going into his second year which was no doubt going to be all that harder thanks to the upcoming exams. Not that he was worried, he was already studying and preparing for them, and with that and quidditch taking up his time he hadn't really had a chance to meet the other guy. That was, until he had shown up at the try-outs and bagged the position of Alternate Keeper. So now Hyun found he was even more interested in the kid and was quick to catch up to him after they left the Quidditch pitch.

"Hey, hold on a second!" He called out, the Korean slipping out naturally before he could even think about it. He had to admit, aside from the breaks back home with his family, he rarely got to speak his native tongue anymore.

@Yoo Hyun Ki

Yoo had been finding it a little difficult to adjust to liver at Ilvermonry, the other students all knew each other, had known each other and he was a little left out. It didn’t help that he wasn’t particularly good at starting these conversations, but he was struggling to find his place in amongst others. Yoo had known quidditch would be a good outlet for him, he wasn’t great but could improve to being good at it. It would give him an in with several people and be a way to get to know others. He’d been leaving the pitch when he’d heard someone call out to who he presumed was him, given that it was in Korean rather than English. He looked at the older boy who approached him, he had thought perhaps this boy was korean but knew better than to assume. ”Okay,” he replied with a friendly smile, he half wondered what this guy would want, and was vaguely aware that someone had told him upon arriving that an older student would give him a hand as he got himself settled.

He was thankful the other boy did actually slow down and didn't keep walking, assuming that he had been talking to someone else. Maybe it would have been a smart idea to use his name to get him to stop instead, but it seemed as though the Korean had worked well enough. Not many people around would actually understand the command to wait up in the first place. "Thanks," he uttered with a breathy smile, switching back to English pretty easily and taking a moment to get his composure back after that short jog to catch up. "You're Yoo Hyun Ki, right? I'm Hyun. Ong Hae Hyun," he felt it appropriate to introduce himself with his surname first, "I know, weird that I have two surnames. It's a long story." He laughed, running a hand through his hair for a moment before shaking it off. His family history was not something he supposed was very important at the moment. Instead, he should probably tell his younger student what he actually wanted with him. "A Professor told me you were a transfer this year and asked me to keep an eye on you and such, make sure that everything's alright and you're not having any issues."

Yoo Hyun Ki just nodded at the thanks, and then nodded again as the boy asked his name. He would’ve held out his hand to this boy but since he didn’t do it first he decided against it. Perhaps it was rather odd to have two surnames but he didn’t mind it. He didn’t think it was his place to ask about such things. He nodded once more when the reason why Hyun was speaking to him was because a professor had told him to look out for him. ”I’m currently not, the school is a little different, and I don’t understand the houses...but I’m not yet having any issues,” he said, his english was accented though good, he’d been learning it long before he’d ended up in America. It was clear that he didn’t use it as often until now, and he took sometimes fractionally longer to find the right words than most. ”Which of the houses are you in?” he asked, it would be good if this boy was tasked with helping him if he’d know where to find him.

He nodded his head in understanding. Hyun totally knew where this younger boy was coming from, having gone through all that confusion himself only a year ago, though somehow it seemed a lot further away from that. Maybe it was because he had made friends here and had really settled in, Quidditch helping a lot with that. Not to mention just jumping into his studies had kept him pretty occupied for the most part as well. "It can be pretty overwhelming at first, but you get used to it eventually, trust me. I don't even really think the houses are that important, just think of them like sleeping arrangements." It was not like they had separate Quidditch teams or anything. "But me? I'm a Wampus. Though I don't often hang around the common room. You can usually find me either on the Quidditch pitch or in the library."

Yoo knew that it was going to be something that would eventually get easier, but he could admit that it was just going to take time and Yoo wasn’t sure how much time. He was sure that he wouldn’t move again during his school but there was no telling about if their family would move after. He wasn’t sure where he wanted to stay if his family moved once he graduated. But that was quite a way away. He nodded as the older boy seemed to confirm Yoo’s own suspicions that the houses were at least a little arbitrary. ”Okay,” he nodded, taking in the information. ”I’m usually in the library too, this world, not just america if quite new to me and I hope to be a healer so the library is the best place for that,” he admitted more than he might’ve to someone else but he also wasn’t trying to keep it a secret and this boy was someone he might be able to turn to. ”How long have you been at this school?”

It was impressive that this boy a couple of years younger than he was already seemed to know what he wanted to do with his life. And it was a pretty admirable goal as well for someone so young. "What makes you want to become a healer?" he did have to wonder just out of curiosity, "I mean, that's a really impressive goal to have. I don't even know what I want to do when I graduate yet. I probably should think about that more, though as it is only a couple of years off now." And he knew his parents were already getting right on his case about his future and making sure he had a respectable career under his belt and not to even mention a decent wife as well so he could have decent kids and carry on the family and magical lines. It was an awful lot of pressure to have, but he liked to think he had dealt with it all thus far and he could keep dealing with it in the future as well. "Only a year," he responded to the question with a laugh, "Before that, I was at Mahoutokoro."

Yoo gave a little smile, ”Before I wanted to be a doctor, so it seems like a natural move,” if he was to be in this world and be learning magic in his mind there was no turning back to the muggle world aside from to see his family. He didn’t think it was necessary for others to be as singularly focused on their future and education. ”I don’t think you have to decide right away, I’ve just always known,” he told him plainly, clearly trying to imply that there was nothing wrong with Hyun not having decided when he had. ”Oh, same, I was there last year, it’s a very different school,” he said with a little glance about the school they were now at.

He nodded his head a little at the explanation, "Yeah, that does make sense. But it's impressive you already have a clear goal at your age. I hope you achieve it, I imagine it's going to take a lot of work." Wishing him luck in his goals was the least he could do, he supposed. And he couldn't imagine that being a healer was going to be very easy. No doubt there would be a lot of studying involved with it. "Yeah, try telling my parents that, though," was all he offered with an awkward laugh. His parents were always going to be difficult about things and telling him that he should know exactly what he wanted to do with his life. "But seriously? Damn, we must have just missed each other then. You're a second year, right?" If that was the case, then Hyun would have left the year he arrived. "Yeah, it's a lot to get used to at first, but it'll come with time and soon you'll be comfortable here."

Yoo nodded, he knew it would take a lot of work, but it was absolutely something he was more than willing to do. ”It will,” he agreed but he knew that he would do any and all work necessary to get to it. He gave a little grimace as the other boy said that his parents didn’t particularly agree with the view point that figuring it out would come with time. He knew his dad was proud of his goals and proud of his drive so he didn’t know if his dad would’ve been less proud of more forceful in him picking a career if he hadn’t already. He nodded lighty, giving a little smile as Hyun realise they would’ve just missed each other. ”Which do you prefer?” he asked. Given that Yoo had only been at the other school a year he wasn’t sure it would ever been a fair comparison to where he was now and where he was likely to spend a good number of years.

"Hwaiting!" He really couldn't help but give the little Korean words of encouragement, even adding in a small fist pump as well. But he was being serious as well and di hope the kid came through and ended up in the profession he wanted. After working for so long it would have to feel pretty good and fulfilling to eventually reach your goal. All the hard work finally paying off. Hyun himself only hoped that all the effort he put into his studies to get good grades actually meant something in the end and it wasn't all just a waste of his time. Though his parents would be the first to tell him good grades were the most important thing and what he should be worried about the most. "Ah, an interesting question," he admitted, having to frown as he thought about it, "Honestly, I can't really say. Each has its ups and downs. I guess I can say that I am happy here and don't really have any great desire to transfer again, but if it ended up happening I wouldn't complain that much about it. If that makes sense."

Yoo gave a little smile at the words of encouragement and returned the fist pump though it was visibly awkward for Yoo to do so. It felt nice, he decided that he like Hyun, he was maybe likely only speaking to him because of the fact they shared a korean background but he decided that Hyun wasn’t too bad, and could be friends with him. Even if there was a bit of an age gap between them. He nodded as Hyun thought about his question, nodding as he explained how he felt which wasn’t really picking one of them but pretty soundly explaining why he couldn’t. ”That’s fair, makes sense,” Yoo told him with a nod of his head. ”I have moved a few times, I’d be glad if this was my last but if it wasn’t you just have to adjust,” Yoo said, he was in essence saying the same thing back to Hyun but the point was to agree with him. He liked this school enough, it was different but no better than his last school. He didn’t want to move again, especially while in the magical world but if he had to he would. ”Do you have any tips for managing this school? Professors to be aware of?”

Though keeping an eye on this kid and helping him out had been something a Professor had told him to do, Hyun was finding that he actually wanted to do it of his own accord the more they actually spoke. He was a good guy and they had a lot of things in common. It was only right that he should offer a hand if he ever needed some help or had any problems. "Yeah, my parents want me to have broad horizons, or whatever, so they transferred me to give me new opportunities. But I'm hoping now I'm getting into an important exam era that they'll decide maybe transferring me again to another school might not be a good idea." It was hard enough to keep up with the schoolwork if he suddenly switched school, but having to do that with an exam coming up was just too much to ask. So, hopefully, they would decide that keeping him at Ilvermorny was the best decision. "But honestly, just keep out of trouble and you should be fine. Though the Charms Professor can be a little grumpy, just don't talk in his class and hand your homework in on time and you should be fine."

Yoo gave a little smile as Hyn explained that his parents had moved him around to broaden his horizons. He could understand why, but he knew that it was probably more tiring than anything else. ”I would hope that they allow you to sit all important exams in the one place,” Yoo replied, ”it would be more difficult to switch schools in the middle of them. More disruptive,” he got the impression that Hyun’s parents were just perhaps the sort to be very occupied in their kids and what they were doing, they would probably be the sort to take exams very seriously. He couldn’t offer any help to him. His moves had been because of his father and him moving for his job, there had been no question in his mind over if he’d stick around in Japan without his family. ”Noted, Charms professor grumpy,” he repeated back to him. He would never be late with his homework, but it was always good to know who would be more lenient. ”Did you have the history professor at Mahoutokoro that always shouted as if the room was four times it’s size?” Yoo asked.

He supposed it was a good thing with languages, though picking up both Japanese and then English for school had been a little hard, he liked to think he managed. Though even after three years his Japanese was rusty, even more so now that he hadn't used it in well over a year. "That is what I am hoping as well," it would just be very helpful if his parents just kept him at Ilvermorny for the rest of his schooling now that he was coming up to exams. Even they had to realize that switching schools at this time of his life was going to disrupt things and he might end up getting worse grades because of it. And, to them, grades were everything and they wanted him to get straight O's on everything. But when the younger boy brought up one of the older Professors he did have to laugh, instantly knowing who he was talking about and nodding his head. "Oh yeah, I remember him. I'm honestly surprised I didn't lose my hearing because of his classes. I think he had gone a bit deaf so didn't know how loud he was actually speaking." It was the only explanation he could think of because there really was no reason to talk that loud.

Yoo hoped that Hyun wouldn’t end up in some other school, if only because for the few years they might share at this school it would be good to have someone he could get to know, someone he could be friendly with. He didn’t think they would be friends friends, they were in different years and he was sure Hyun would rather not end up with a friend that could just be a little brother but they could be friendly. He listened as Hyun remembered the same professor, he found himself smiling a little at it, more casually and friendly. He had only had the professor for a year but it had been pretty awful. ”Some of the students in my year thought it was a sonorus spell that went wrong,” he said, he knew that it wasn’t always good to fuel the rumour mill but it was also probably not that bad. ”I’m sure every school has professors like that, that shout rather than speak,” he said.

If things went his way then he would end up a graduate of Ilvermorny. And then he knew he would have to worry about his future and what he was actually going to do with the rest of his life. But that was just one bridge he was going to have to cross once he got to it. For now, it was probably best if he just focused on his schooling and making sure he actually managed to get through his exams in one piece. Just failing one of them was not an option if he didn't want his parents to absolutely explode in his face and most likely ground him. If he did bad enough they might even consider pulling him off the quidditch team and that was something he was not going to stand for. "Maybe he just thought that speaking loudly made him feel important," he offered his own hypothesis on the matter. But it was just speculation, it was very unlikely he was actually going to find out the truth - even more so that he didn't even go to the same school anymore. "I haven't come across one like that here yet, but maybe there is one for younger years I missed out on. Or one for the upper two years I haven't encountered yet."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back