Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Pear Wand 14 1/8" Essence of Phoenix Tail Feather
Lily wanted to cry. This library was... Was... beautiful. She only had seven years to read all this? She smiled and began looking through the books. Where would she even begin? These all looked so... So magical! She giggled softly as she made her way through the shelves. She ran her fingers over the spines, not really looking for a single book just yet. She was really enjoying this. Now all she needed was a friend and her life at school would be perfect.

If he was going to learn all he could about magic, then he was going to need a good place to start. And nowhere sounded better in his head that the library. And the blonde was pleased to see so many different books lining the shelves, a grin sprouting on his young features as he eagerly started to scan them all with sparkling blue eyes. "Wicked," was the first thing he said when he found a good book, coming to a stop as he saw a rather interesting title written on the spine of the book in front of him. "Magical tricks to try on your friends and family," he read out loud, tilting his head to the side to read it better, the grin on his face getting ever larger, "Do the Professors really expect everyone to be rule-abiding when they have this kind of content available?"

Lily paused as she heard a voice. She followed its source to see a boy grinning at a book in his hands. She smiled shyly, peeking at him from the end of the bookcase. "Well, it helps if you don't yell." She spoke, trying not to duck back behind the shelf. She couldn't help but wonder if his smile was for the mischief or the book, or even both.

He had mostly been talking to himself and didn't expect someone to actually respond to him. Looking up from the book he was most certainly going to be checking out, he turned his head, finding the source of the new, female voice. "I ain't yelling," he told her rather pointedly before his attention turned back to this book, using a thumb and forefinger to start flicking through the contents. "Don't think I was, anyways," Ettie added after a moment, glancing back over at the girl again.

Lily smiled shyly at the boy as he responded, even though it did sound a little mean. She inched out from behind the bookshelf and took a few steps closer. Though she did stop a ways away from him. "Well, I did hear you from a few a aisles over," she told him gently. She folded her hands behind her back. "The library is really amazing," she added softly, testing to see if he liked books too. It would be nice to have a friend that understood her love for them.

"Maybe I got a bit... excited," he settled with after a moment with a shift shrug of his shoulder, "Sorry if I disturbed you, or something." But he didn't really think he was being all that loud and she probably only heard him because everyone else around them was being quiet. But that was not really something he wanted to press on about, instead nodding his head eagerly at the question, eyes shining as he looked around all the books surrounding the two of them. "I can't wait to get started. Imagine all the information hiding in these books. It's gonna be amazing." And he was rather determined to try and learn everything he could about magic, after all, and no doubt get up to all sorts of mischief in the process.

Lily smiled shyly, scuffing her toe against the floor. "Oh, n-no, you didn't. I was just looking." She reassured him. Her smile widened a bit at the boys eagerness to read. She hesitated just a moment before holding out one of her hands. "My name is Lily Lockwood." She introduced herself. Maybe she would see more of the blond boy.

The fact he hadn't actually disturbed her did make Ettie feel a little better. He would have been somewhat embarrassed if he had been shouting an just hadn't noticed. But he was drawn back to the moment when the girl extended one of her hands towards him and offered her name. Etienne hesitated for a moment before he took the offered hand in his own, a firm smile on his face as he gave it a shake. "'m Etienne. Etienne de Villiers." The French accent he picked up from his mother always seemed to shine out when he was pronouncing his name, which was funny when the rest of the time he didn't have one.

Lily smiled. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Etienne. Did I say that right?" She brushed her hair behind her ear. "Which house are you in?" She asked idly. "I'm in Hufflepuff." She told him. She turned to look at the books around her. "I'm not even sure where to start," She continued conversationally, running her fingers over the spine of a nearby book.

The corners of his mouth twitched upwards slightly. "It was good enough," he responded with a small nod. He understood that his name was not really something a lot of people were going to be pronouncing perfectly on the first try, but he was not a boy who cared very much and usually just let people call him whatever. It was rare he corrected anyone on pronunciation. "The... uh... blue one," was all he could rather dumbly respond with, having already completely forgotten the name of his own house, a hand anxiously rubbing the back of his neck. "But I usually start with whatever looks the most interesting and the time and move on from there."

Lily smiled shyly. "Well, you have a pretty name." She told him. She wondered if she had really pronounced it correctly, but decided to let it go seeing as how he didn't seem to care. "Do you have any nicknames?" She asked. "My full name is Lillian, but I prefer Lily. Or do you prefer Etienne over a nickname?" She twirled a strand of hair around her finger. She had been bullied for her quiet nature in her previous schools, and no one had seemed to want to be her friend because of it. She couldn't help but wonder if the school here would be the same, but she determined to try and make friends in spite of her general lack of people skills.

Lily giggled a bit when the boy forgot his house. She blushed once she realized she'd laughed at him and looked down. "Oh, I-I'm sorry to laugh. I think the blue one was Ravenclaw. And red is Gryffindor, and green, is... um... snakes?" She scrunched her nose as she tried to remember. "Oh! Slytherin." She snapped her fingers as it came to her.

She looked back to the books as the conversation turned back to them. "Oh, that's my problem. They all seem so interesting. Maybe... maybe I should just pick a shelf and choose at random?" She mused, before closing her eyes reaching out. She took the first book and pulled it out. She peeked at the cover. "The Tales of Beetle the Bard..." She murmured, before turning it over and beginning to read the back.

A light red dusted his cheeks at the sudden compliment, unsure of how to respond to something like that for just a moment. So, he decided not to comment on it, instead shifting his focus to the next question he was asked. "Some people call me Ettie," he offered with a small smile, "Or they just call me by my middle name, which is Milo. My maman, on the other hand, calls me all manner of embarrassing nicknames I'm not going to mention." His papa, not so much. But he just pushed all those said embarrassing nicknames out of his head for the time being. "But Lilian is a nice name as well. But if you prefer Lily, I will call you that."

He felt his cheeks almost starting to turn a brighter shade of red when she laughed at him for forgetting the name of his own house. Though she did apologize for it a moment later, he still felt pretty stupid for forgetting. "Ravenclaw," he repeated, almost in a way to try and keep the name in his head. "They don't make it easy to remember though," he added after a moment, "What kind of name is Slytherin anyway?" It sounded ridiculous - all of the house names did.

Turning his own gaze back to the bookshelf in front of him, Ettie hummed a little under his breath as he looked for another interesting book he might loan out with the one already in his hand. Noticing that Lily had found something, he peered over at her, curiously trying to read the title on the cover. "What's it about?"

Lily nodded as Etienne told her his nicknames. Her mama had plenty of embarrassing nicknames for her as well. "Do you prefer Ettie or Milo?" She asked him. "I don't mind what you call me. Lil, Lillian, Lily. Anything is fine." She twirled a strand of hair around her finger.

Lily crinkled her nose as she thought about the house names. "They are all pretty silly, aren't they? Ravenclaw's symbol is a bird, so it's like they're just stating the obvious. Snakes are always Slitherin'," She joked lightly. "I don't even know what a Hufflepuff is. And why would a lion have a Griffon on the door?" She bit her lip to keep herself from babbling.

Lily glanced up when he asked about her book. "Well, I think it's children's tales. Like The Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast." She smiled softly. "I wonder what kind of tales wizards tell their children." She wondered to herself. "My mama is magic but my Papa isn't, so it wasn't until my magic appeared that it entered our house."

Etienne shrugged a shoulder, "I don't really mind. You can call me whatever is easier for you." He was fine with most nicknames so long as they weren't completely embarrassing or made him blush. He didn't really have a preference between all the names so long as he knew someone was talking to him. "I'll just stick with Lily, if that's alright with you," he responded with a smile and a nod of his head.

"I don't even think the bird is a raven, though!" He was pretty sure that someone told him that it was an eagle and not a raven, "If they were trying to make it make sense, it would be Eagleclaw." Though it was quite clear at this point that they weren't trying to make sense in the slightest and were more than happy to come up with stupid names for all the houses. Mind you, Ravenclaw did sound a lot better than Eagleclaw ever would, but that didn't mean he had to think it made perfect sense. "None of this makes any sense," he concluded after a moment, "Wizards are all just completely bonkers."

Children tales. That book instantly went to the bottom of the list of books he wanted to read, he was more interested in something which might hold information, not just children tales. "Your maman didn't tell you about magic even if she was magical? Was she trying to keep it a secret or something?" That didn't make much sense to him. Surely if you were magical and married a non magical person and had a child you would tell the rest of your family about it. Right?

"Alright. I kinda like Ettie." She smiled shyly at him. "Lily is good." She tucked her hair behind her hair again. She should really get some barrettes. She giggled as he called wizards bonkers. "Well, then you'll just have to be the wizard that brings sense to the rest of us." She told him. "What would you have named the houses?" She asked curiously.

"I don't know." She answered honestly. "I didn't think to ask. Maybe she just liked living without it? If you're raised into it, perhaps it loses its wonder?" She mused, looking off softly. She held the book close to her chest. It seemed a little silly, but perhaps it would be interesting to read. She looked to the other books. "Oh, what about this one?" She asked, pulling out a new, thicker tome. "Magical Creatures and Where to Find Them." She read the title aloud.

"You do?" He sounded surprised at that statement, even if he had been the one to come up with the nickname in the first place. Mind you, he had only come up with it because people seemed to have an easier time saying it than they did 'Etienne'. But he hadn't really heard anyone tell him that they actually liked the nickname, more that it was just convenient. "I'll just have to," he agreed with a firm nod of his head, "But I don't know what I would have named them. Just something which makes sense and doesn't sound completely made up on the spot." Given the time, he could probably come up with something better than what they were currently named.

It turned out she hadn't even bothered to ask why her mother had never told her daughter about magic. "That still doesn't make sense. If magic is passed down, or whatever, then she must have known that you would be magical as well. It would just make sense to tell you about it before your letter arrives." That made sense in his head, but he supposed he wasn't much of an expert on the matter and protocols could be different in this magical world. "Magical creatures?" He repeated, tilting his head as he gazed curiously at the cover, "I didn't think the animals would be different as well".

Lily smiled shyly. "Uh-huh." She nodded at his question. She thought Ettie was just as pretty as Etienne. She was sure it was French. She had always considered it a beautiful language. She wondered briefly if her mama would let her study it. She giggled softly. "Well, when you do come up with the house names, maybe that's what we can call the houses. Even if it is just between us." She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She really liked Ettie, maybe they could be friends? Would it be too bold to ask?

He distracted her by continuing on about magic and her mother. "My magic was always... subtle." She told the boy. "I just thought I was being odd, at first, before my letter came. That was when my Mama sat me down and explained I was a Witch." She still sounded a little unsure. She bit her lip to try and hide it.

She opened up the book and began to flip through the pages. "Look! There are dragons, and Hippogriffs, and Thestrals." She stopped as a page in particular caught her eye. "Oooh, look at this one! A Niffler." she smiled softly, running her fingers over the illustration. "'A Niffler is a creature with a long snout and a coat of black, fluffy fur. They are attracted to shiny things, which made them wonderful for locating treasure, but this also means that they could wreak havoc if kept (or set loose) indoors. Nifflers in general are usually harmless.'" She read aloud. "Oh, I bet they're adorable."

He didn't think for a moment he was ever going to hear anything like that again, so he was just trying to savor the moment for a little longer, keeping the memory in his head for as long as possible. Though, knowing how much information went into his head by the hour he would have probably forgotten again in a couple of hours. "That sounds like fun," he added with a grin as the idea was presented to him, already starting to think of better names for all the different houses. "Though it might make people angry," not that he really minded about making people mad, he tended to do that by accident every day.

That sort of made sense, he guessed, but he still thought that it could have been handled differently. "I always knew there was something different about me. When I first did magic no one believed me! They thought I just made it up." His lips twisted and brows furrowed into a frown as he thought about how his parents had acted when he told them.

But that expression was quick to change as he listened to the description of this creature he had never heard of before, eagerly trying to peer over Lily's shoulder to read the words himself. "Does that really exist? I mean, if it's in a book which isn't fiction, then it has to be real, yeah?" That's what he believed, if a book wasn't fiction then it had to happen. And why would they lie about something like that? "When I learned about magic, I never thought that there would be magical creatures as well! That's amazing, I want to see one."

Lily smiled, giggling softly. "People will always be angry about something," She said, "So why not enjoy ourselves anyway?" She asked him seriously. She liked talking to Ettie. He was nice. She almost asked him if they could be friends, but shied away from the idea. He would probably say no anyway.

Lily brushed her hair out of her eyes. "If you hadn't been the one doing magic, would you have believed it?" She asked gently. "It's hard for people to believe what they don't see sometimes." She thought back to her own papa. "When my Papa found out I thought he was going to have a heart attack or something."

Lily held out the book so Ettie could see better. "You know," She offered the book to him, reaching into her bag. "I got a copy of the class schedule, but not just for our year." She produced the paper and looked it over to be sure. "Here," She said softly, pointing to the class. "There's an elective in third year for a Care of Magical Creatures class." She smiled at the idea, looking at some of the others. "There's also Muggle Studies, Divination, Ancient Runes..." She trailed off. This school had some really interesting classes. She glanced up to Ettie with a smile. "This is all so much more interesting than Math class." She joked lightly.

She did have a point, people always seemed to be angry at every little thing these days. Or just him when he pulled a prank or one of his experiments and inventions went wrong - as they usually did. But it was all a work in progress and every invention in history went wrong before it worked, nothing ever worked the first time. "I guess you're right," he eventually affirmed with a small nod of his head.

"Well, not at first, probably not," it was a hard admission to make, but he did understand what she was saying to him. If his little brother had come to him claiming he had just done magic, Etienne probably wouldn't have believed him at first. "But I would have at least done research into it!" He added, tone almost defensive, feeling as though he had to explain a little more, "I wouldn't just brush it off and pretend it didn't happen. I'd want to know the truth, even if it does sound stupid."

He didn't ask for permission as he eagerly grabbed the book from her hands, thumbing through the pages with eagerness to try and see what other magical creatures could be out there. Dragons were about to be his next subject of amazement, but before he could say anything he was distracted again, glancing up from the words on the page to look towards the third year schedules. "Wicked!" He exclaimed, maybe a little too loud for the library and quickly lowered his voice again, "That should be something first years can do. Especially people like me. We need a crash course for these kinds of things. Why do we have to wait until third year? That's ages away. It's not fair." At least, to him, it certainly didn't find it very fair. "And I like maths, it's fascinating how many problems you can solve."

Lily listened as Ettie agreed with her before continuing on to say he would at least look into what someone was saying. She nodded. "Well, perhaps. But not everyone has your open mind." She gave him a small smile. She still remembered the fight between her parents that she hadn't been meant to overhear. Lily blinked, startled at his loud outburst about the class schedule. She fell back a step on instinct but quickly recovered. She looked down at her paper, blushing a bit. "I- I don't know," She stammered slightly. "Maybe... maybe because there are so many classes already for the first and second years? I heard that in third year you get to choose to keep the classes you want and drop the others. Maybe it's so you can remember everything they're teaching you." She thought aloud, not looking up from the page.

He knew for a fact that not everyone was so willing as he was to look into the unexplained and try and get the truth out of everything and most people were more than happy to pretend everything didn't happen. Which just made him angry to no end. It was never any exciting just to live by what you knew and never try and learn more or explain the unexplainable. People were just missing out. "It's not that many classes to try and remember. And it's important to know these kinds of things. What if I bump into one of these magical creatures, but have no idea what it is or if it's dangerous or not?" Maybe it was a little far-fetched of an example, but it could happen, especially now if he was going to be taking part in this magical world and getting to learn everything about it. "It doesn't even have to be the whole course, but just... the important things so people like me are prepared for the magical world."

Lily almost wished she could drop through the floor. Was Etienne angry with her? She hadn't meant for that. She didn't look up at him as she spoke again, her voice very small. "I... I don't know. I wouldn't think they'd have anything too dangerous at a school." She scuffed her toe against the carpet. "M-maybe there are protective spells in place to keep us safe while we learn?" She offered, knowing it was at least somewhat reasonable, but worried it wasn't the right thing to say. She was never very good at speaking to people.

He wasn't really angry, per se, maybe a little bit annoyed at the Professors and teaching staff for trying to keep this kind of stuff from him until he was older, but he was more passionate about learning. His brain was large and he was a boy who craved all sorts of information and facts to try and fill it, and it was annoying to learn there were all these lessons he couldn't even take for another two whole years. That was far too long to wait. "Well, I suppose there is nothing stopping me from reading all the books on the subject and learning in advance," he reasoned after a moment with a small shift of his shoulders, "Then I'll at least be really prepared when it does come to my third year and I can take those lessons as well."

Lily looked up at Ettie from under her lashes, giggling at his response. "That sounds reasonable." She told him with a shy smile. "Maybe if you'd like I could study with you? It's never good to study alone." She twirled her hair around her finger. She hoped it wasn't too much to ask. She wouldn't mind taking the extra time to learn with him. He was nice. She liked talking with him, even if she didn't always know what to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back