Glad To Be Away From School

Hilary looked up at her younger friend. Although she'd known her for a few years they had never been the closest, but nothing could stop the fact that that was probably the nicest thing anyone had ever said to her. "Really Kat? Thank-you... that's like the nicest things anyone has ever told me." She smiled then responded to the second part of her statement. "Yeah, I know I feel like so lost... all I really heard was the voice and then all the press yelling and flashing cameras."

"Of course I mean it. Everyone thinks so too, not just me!" Kat said encouragingly to Hilary with a smile. "I hadn't even been there when it all happened. I was on my way down to take the next port key to the task and all I saw was mass confusion where I was headed. Then I heard the news. I'm still not sure what to make of it though. My mum said if anything gets worse then she's going to pull me out of school." The thought made Kat shudder, even though there wasn't much of a chill in the air.

Hilary smiled a little when her friend said that everyone was thinking it. She really wasn't sure how true that was but she was happy all the same. She quickly lost the smile though once they spoke again of what happened. "Oh I hope nothing happens, I really am scared!" It had been someone pretending to be a member of press she had heard, and she was surrounded with members of press right at that moment. Anything could have happened. "Oh Kat, you have to stay.... what am I supposed to do without you around? Talk to.... Bruin?" she said it quite a bit more sarcastic and almost disgusted than she could ever mean. She was actually feeling quite a bit closer to him this year, than almost anyone.

"I'm hoping it won't come to that. I told her that everything is fine, but she'd still not totally convinced." she said rather darkly. It would have been one of the most horrible things to ever happen to Kat if she were to be pulled from school. She loved it there and didn't know what she would do without her friends...they had become like her second family. Kat had to laugh at Hilary's comment though, "Well then that settles it...I'll have to stay to give you someone more interesting to talk to than Bruin. That would be just utterly horrible if you were stuck with him." She stuck her tongue out at Hilary and then started to laugh.

Hilary smiled and a weird girlish giggle popped out. She grabbed her mouth still giggling. That used to happen all the time when she laughed but it hadn't happened in years. "Yes, you just will! Though I'm sure I could handle talking to Bruin if I HAD too." She said it quiet sarcastically but with a huge smile. Something in her just wanted to like spill all that had happened with Bruin to her friend, but the rest of her kept saying that it really wasn't anything.

After a moments thought, Kat realized that the last time she'd actually talked to Bruin, other than over the last week due to the kidnapping, had been before the term started back. The last few times she'd seen him he'd been kind of acting strange so Kat had sort of kept her distance from him, not sure what it was that was bothering him as of late. "Have you talked to him lately? I was just wondering if he's okay...he's seemed kind of out of it lately." she asked curiously.

Hilary smiled and replied, "Yeah... I've talked to him a bit. And he's doing alright, but just thinking a lot. Like he's not as relaxed and carefree as he used to be. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong but I know he was a little stressed earlier on." Hilary wasn't sure what else to say, "But I think I've finally gotten into his comfort zone rather than it just being awkward being around him." She had left it open to interpretations and if Kat started asking questions then Hilary would answer them as best as she could.

Kat nodded at Hilary's explanation of Bruin's bizarre mood as of late, but raised a brow and had a slight smirk on her face when she said, "Comfort zone, eh? What do you mean by awkward?" Kat couldn't help but giggle at her girly interpretation of what Hilary had just said.

Hilary smiled pretty big. "Well, okay so I'll tell you but you have to promise not to tell anyone.... this is a secret cause nothing's official!" she had lowered her voice into an excited whisper and and sort of half smiled have glared at her friend.

Kat burst into a raging giggle fit and blurted out, "Are you two together?" As long as she'd known Bruin she'd never known him to have a crush on anyone so this was news to her, but it really didn't surprise her at all...if anyone could tie Bruin down it would have been Hilary Grace.

Hilary was giggling too now "SHH!" she hushed in her friends face through the giggles. "I wouldn't quite go that far but we had like a crazy long thank-you hug a couple of weeks ago, and it was totally a moment." She smiled like crazy at her friend, it was so cool having girl talk again. It had been forever since this had happened.

Kat was still giggling hysterically when Hilary shushed her. "Sorry!" she said feeling winded, but still having a steady stream of giggles. She had to clutch her side from laughing so hard. "A thank you for what?" she asked with a not so silent outburst. "Doh...sorry, I'll try to be more quiet." she said trying to calm down and be a bit more hushed.

Hilary could also not help her girlish giggles. "Well to thank him for going to the ball with me I got him a pair of Gryffindor socks and a 20 galleon Honeydukes gift card. Then after he had opened them I asked him if I got a thank-you hug.... and I did, and it totally became a moment." She smiled a little dreamily, which was sort of weird for her, especially of how it was of Bruin she was thinking.

Kat started squealing like a two year old in a candy store and then started jumping up and down like a crazy person. "Oh sweet Merlin! Do you think that he's going to ask you out?" she asked, still not quite as hushed as she probably should have been.

Hilary started jumping up and down too, and she was sure they looked ridiculous to anyone walking by. "Well I'm not sure, he said something about being scared that I'd leave him or something. It sort of broke the moment, but I'm not sure..... I think I'm back in his comfort zone again. He's been helping me with Arithmancy" Hilary was smiling still.

Kat realized that people were starting to stare at their ridiculous behavior so she pulled Hilary over to the side, in a little nook between two stores. "Dear sweet mandrake roots! This is unbelievable. This is fantastic! I don't know what to say." Kat started rambling like a crazy person. "So do you want to date him? I mean of course you do...it's Bruin! This is too perfect."

Hilary followed Kat over between the two stores still really smiley. Then she decided to voice her concern "Is it really that unbelievable? Like do you think that maybe he like just thinks of me as a sister or something... cause I pretty much like him, but I don't want to like get my hopes up if he'll just laugh at me." It sounded pretty ridiculous she knew, but she needed another opinion.

"Doesn't sound like a brother sister thing to me. That's what I have with Bruin...a brotherly sisterly kind of relationship, but this has been a match waiting to happen. I think I've seen it there all along." Kat said seriously, still with a cheesy grin on her face. "And I don't think he'll laugh at you...take a little risk. You can't go through life worrying about being rejected. I think that things will work out perfectly...I have a feeling!" she said as her goofy grin grew even wider.

Hilary smiled a little, "Well Bruin was sort of weird with hugs before, but after the TriWizard thing he gave me a hug like in the common room. But I don't think that meant anything. So what have you actually seen?" Hilary wanted another opinion before just jumping into it.

"That looked like a little more than a friendly hug to me Hil, but I'm just an outsider looking in. I'm usually right about these types of things though." Kat said confidently.

Hilary smiled, "Really? Like I have to say it just felt natural and comfortable at the time but when I thought about it after I wasn't sure. So what are these "signs" that you say there are...?" She really didn't know what to think about Bruin, after all she had known him even before her first day at Hogwarts.

"He just seemed less 'big brotherly' towards you in a way. I can't really describe it, but I can definitely tell he acts different around you than he does anyone else. It's like he's trying not to screw up things too badly...almost like he's nervous I guess...no, that's not the right word." Kat thought on it for a moment, still not really sure how to put what she was trying to say into words.

Hilary took a deep breath and replied, "Concentrating? Oh, well I hadn't really noticed.... I guess I wasn't really looking till now. I sort of just always thought he was like way out of my league." Hilary was feeling pretty bubbly inside not exactly sure what the word for this feeling was.

"That's more like the word I'm looking for...though still not it exactly, but definitely closer." Kat said and then added, "Hilary you've got to give yourself a bit more credit. What happened to the perky confident Hilary that we all know and love? Surely she's not flaking out because of some boy." Kat teased her friend lightly while offering encouragement at the same time.

Hilary thought about it a little, "Well I guess she went on holiday or something." Hilary joked and then continued, "But no seriously, she's still around... but still self conscious, you know bad things come in threes...." She trailed off, so the first was the removal of her prefect badge, the second the canceling of the tournament and the third probably Bruin. Or was it even those....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back