Glad I wasn't here sooner.

Alex Cullen

Wand
Rowan Wood 12"1/4 Essence of Silver Thistle
Alex was out cold. And he had been for quite some time now. If you think about it, it must have been a least 20 minutes before someone though of calling the forces and then about 5 minutes before the fire engine showed up to cut him out the car and another 20 minutes before he got to the hospital and started to get his cuts and bruises all tended too. All the while, Alex had remained in his own little world, oblivious to the fact people had been shouting around him and asking him if he could hear them.
Lying in the bed now though, he was almost peaceful looking, that was of course, if you ignored the fact that he had stiches above his eye on the right and a few more scratches on his face and that his right wrist was bandaged up and it was already bloodstained slightly. And also the fact his left leg was in a cast. He had been lucky though according to the doctors that came in regularly to observe him. After all, if it hadn't been on Alex's instincts to try shield his neck and face, he might've of been dead.
But Alex was far from serene as the horrors of what happened that day were now passing over him as if he was just an observer in his life for that day.
The day was quite breezy today but the sun was out shining as always and Alex was getting away with just a t-shirt, a tan already forming on his skin. Alex had never been known to burn, not that he had wanted to experience that but it was better than getting burnt by an iron he had guessed. At least sun burnt didn't leave big scars that he knew of. As he waked through town, he felt happy that today he was picking up a car he had bought recently for $100 dollars. It was extremely cheap but then, if anyone was to look at the car, they would think it was worth about that. It was just for the purpose of driving around until Alex had enough money to actually buy a nice gleaming new car with some pride in it. Stopping at the shop, he knocked ont he window and smiled cheerfully at the old man. 'Yo, came for my car. And before y'ask again. I got my license right here,' he told the manny, showing his new license he had gotten 5 days ago. He was quite proud of it, he had to admit. It wasn't every day a boy managed to get his driving license in 3 lessons. As the manny patted him on the back and showed him to the car Alex sat on the front seat, just checking and adjusting everything first. He looked at the man and thanked him before turning the ignition on and driving off. He decided he would take a trip to the countryside first. Or maybe the beach, depending on how nice the weather was turning out to be.Going along the highway, he thought about the beach more and turned his car so that he was now travelling on the windy roads to there. He liked it in the car. He felt at home driving it and totally relaxed. His foot leant harder against the accelerator and without his notice, he smiled at the thought of timing himself like a racer on how fast he could improve on 20 minutes to get there. One hand pulled down the sun sheild witht he mirror and Alex looked at himself in the mirror quickly to make sure he looked okay and his hair was still waxed back in a fashion that was greatly loved by the 'Cullen' books. Looking back at the road, he fumbled with a Cd to play and didn't notice how fast he was actually going now. 90 m.h...100m.h...110m.h Alex finally got the Cd playing and was singing along turning the corner. Suddenly a cat crossed the road out of nowhere and Alex slammed hard down on the breaks. It was as if it was all in slow motion. Alex stared in horror as the cat just stared at him and his hands grasped the steering wheel turning it off the road but something was wrong. He felt the car lean down on it's back left corne and the break suddenly lost it's control. Alex saw the tree and turned, his right arm immediately going up to cover the neck and his face was tucked into his chest a he turned his back. The metal crunched as it met the ground, rolled over twice and wrapped itself round the tree. Alex's vision blurred as he felt the metal dig into his back and shards of glass shatter all over him. He yelled in pain, but he couldn't hear himself or the rolling of the escaped wheel metres away. All he saw before the blackness over took him was the little black cat staring at him.
Alex's black eyes immediately snatched open, his breathing heavy and his head suddenly exploding into a headache. He sighed, his hand going up to his shield his eyes as he tried to focus against the bright light. He winced at the movement and remembered why. He looked for the source of the now very annoying uneven beeping sound he heard and tried to knock it away but it was a very feeble attempt as he realized why his movement had been sore. The pain was from his back shoulder, right where the important muscles were. He didn't bother though with anything as he flexed his fingers and tried to sit up in the bed slightly but failing miserably.

Kiera had been at the gym when she had gotten a call on her cell phone. Even though Nationals were over, Kiera was still training. She had a lot to do before she could leave to go back to school. The phone call had been her dad calling to tell her Alex had been in a wreck. Kiera felt like her world stopped spinning. From the sound of it, it was a bad wreck, the kind that killed people. Kiera didn't bother saying goodbye to her coach or Arielle. She grabbed her gym bag and headed straight to her car. She did not put on her clothes like she normally did when she went out in public. She barely remembered to put on her flip flops.

Tears came to her eyes as soon as Kiera reached her car and climbed. How could this be happening? They had said he wasn't conscious. Kiera raced to the hospital. She was lucky it was so close to her gym, otherwise she never would have made it there in one piece. Kiera parked her car in the first spot she saw. Kiera began running as soon as she locked her car. She paused only to ask where she could find Alex. A nurse told her where he was. It was like she was in a bad movie. Kiera couldn't seem to reach the end of the hallway fast enough. Kiera slowed as she reached his room.

Now that she was here, at the room, she was nervous. Did she want to see just how bad it was? Kiera prepared herself to open the door. Slowly, Kiera walked into the room. Alex looked like hell. She walked to his bedside, afraid. She had tears in her eyes. "Alex?" she asked softly.

Alex had just been talking to the nurse who had taken notes. She had even checked all his bandages and kept asking if he felt fine. By the 5th time she asked him the same question, Alex had just given her a blank stare and said he was really tired and could he be alone. Of course, this was a lie but he was fed up with her questions and not being able to move as much as he wanted to. Plus, to him it seemed it was quite obvious he wasn't feeling very good. Couldn't a normal, sane person see that or was it just him?
Staring at the four bare walls and not wanting to go to sleep again for fear of having to see those black flash backs again, he was almost glad to see Kiera come in. He smiled so widely, he didn't care if it caused him pain. All he wanted to do was get out of these four walls of the ward. Not too mention he was the first crash victim of the season to be treated. He tried to push himself up to sit up more than the titled bed was but all he could do was wince and lean back against the bed annoyed. And it showed.
'Hey Kiera. You can't believe how glad I am to see you. I would hug you but the flippin nurses refuse to put the back of the bed any higher for me and my back is killing me right now to even sit,' he told her, the smile returned before it faltered slightly at her tears. 'Are you ok?' he asked her suddenly worried. She looked like she had been crying. What had the people told her?? He didn't bare to think what she had imagined. Overactive imagination slipped into his head as he tried once more to sit up, not even caring about the pain anymore. Kiera looked like she might break down any minute. She had obviously been practising though because her gymnastics clothes hadn't even been changed.

Kiera was afraid to come closer to Alex in a fear of hurting him. She just stared at him incredulously. He was talking to her as if everything was just fine and dandy. Alex did not look fine and dandy. She walked silently to his bed side, afraid to speak. She didn't want to lose her control in front of him. It was threatening to break with each new thought that popped into her mind. She looked timidly at Alex. She had never been this afraid for anyone else in her life. Kiera knew she had to talk to Alex; he was waiting for her to speak. Kiera shook her head.

Kiera made her way to his bed, she picked up his hand. "No, I'm...fi-" Kiera choked out. She couldn't speak anymore. Her control was lost, her tears flowed freely. Kiera's face turned splotchy. It was clear that she was not alright. She couldn't help her break down. It felt like her heart was in two pieces from seeing Alex, laying in the bed, damaged.

(fine and dandy? Lol. That just has to be the funniest thing i have read so far today. :lol: )

Alex just watched Kiera as it seemed she was in shock. 'Kiera? Do you want me to get a nurse or something?' he asked, the growing worry clear in his voice, as she didn't say anything. She just seemed to walk so slow to his bed and he frowned not sure what to do anymore. He couldn't even get out of the bed seeing how his leg was strap to it unfortunately. He just took Kiera's hand in his and rubbed patterns into his comfortingly.
'What's wrong Kiera? Honest, just tell me and I'll get a nurse if you're hurt,' he said, not liking the fact he couldn't hug her. Boy, no wonder half the men on TV in the hospital beds broke down crying. Alex felt he'd be doing that pretty soon out of the sheer frustration of not being able to control his movements anymore. Instead, the best he could do was lean off the bed, and using his unbroken leg as a support, he finally managed to sit enough so he could put an arm round her in a half hug. He tried very hard to not to show the pain but there was no way he'd be doing this often. His muscles were already starting to protest and this was from a guy who did about 60 pull ups, 140 press-ups and 100 sit ups a day.

((Lol i didn't even think about it when writing it...common here in the south...))

Kiera could tell Alex was worried. His words and his tone in his voice made that very clear to her. Kiera knew she had to speak. Alex was holding her hand in a comforting manner but all she could do was sob. Kiera didn't like it that Alex was squirming around in his bed. Didn't he know that when you were hurt you were supposed to sit still? Kiera tried to wipe some of the tears from her eyes but was failing miserable. She tried to calm herself down.
"No I don't need a nurse." she managed to say after a few moments. Her voice was shaky and weak. "Please don't move." she told him. Kiera couldn't stand the thought of him hurting himself worse because of her. Kiera looked at Alex, her brown eyes still shedding tears. "Don't worry about me. I just....I just don't like seeing you hurt here in this bed. I feel shattered" she told him in a whisper. She still didn't know how much damage had been done to him.

(common here too, well, with my granny anyway. :p but i ain't heard it in a loong while. :lol: )

Alex sighed relieved as she said she didn't need a nurse. Thank goodness, he thought to himself, not even wanting to think what his brother would do if it was Alex's fault if Kiera was hurt. Steering clear of the scene he had begun creating, he leaned back against the bed, still hating the fact it was practically flat still. (55 degrees actually but you know, I have to do it from the characters point of view)
He frowned as she told him not to move. Why couldn't he move? And what on earth did that have to do with anything to with now? He looked at her, his hand reaching for the tissues on the side of his bed and wiping the tears away on her cheeks. He was glad the gymnasium wasn't in between where he crashed and where the hospital was. If she had seen the car, which was a complete reck after rolling round twice and crushing itself on the tree and getting cut into by the firemen, then she would know the extent of damage that was on his body, though he was still lucky.
Alex shook his head at her when she continued. 'Don't be silly. I'm not that hurt you know. No need to worry bout me either,' he replayed, smiling at her. 'Well, I don't blame you. You're happy to help yourself to the food over there. I ain't allowed to eat anything yet. Doctor's orders,' he told her, nodding over the the table over in the corner. There was his tray, the only one not touched, with plenty of food on it. He let his cool hand run over his face which seemed to still be slightly hotter than normal.

(( :p I like it. Funny really.))

Kiera's tears seemed to have subsided for the moment as Alex dabbed them with a tissue. She couldn't help but think that she was being selfish. Alex was the one who was hurt so why was Kiera the one having a meltdown? She couldn't come up with an answer though one thought stuck in her head. She loved him. It was a brief thought that passed through her mind when she had gotten the phone call. Kiera's were concerned as he said that she shouldn't worry about him. Why on earth did he think that? Had he seen himself? Kiera shook her head. Her body was weak from worry. "I know what happened. My dad told me. He saw the car." she told him softly. Kiera knew he was just putting on a brave front for her. Kiera looked Alex straight in the eyes. "I don't have an appetite." she said telling him the truth. Kiera could not eat with Alex, laying in front of her, looking half dead. "How can I not worry about you? Have they let you see yourself?" she asked him, tears coming to her eyes once more. She was fighting hard to keep them locked up inside.

Alex shrugged as Kiera told him she knew what happened. 'So do I, sort of,' he replied, wondering how bad the car looked. He was only able to guess on it, considering he had gone out cold in a matter of seconds after crashing. 'I didn't really get the chance to see the car myself. Hope I can get out of here soon enough to see it,' he told himself quietly though she could probably hear. After all, there wasn't exactly anything to drown his voice away.
He laughed as Kiera asked him if they had let himself be seen. 'But I'm fine, honest. Pain-killers need to be invested in the school one day. I tell you, the only pain I feel is on my back.' he told her truthfully, not seeing the point in lying point blank to her. 'But mind you. I haven't actually seen how bad my hair is. No mirrors in this place either,' he complained pulling an annoyed face before smiling at her again. 'Geez, how much do I need to confess before you cal yourself down and eat?' he joked with her, getting another tissue for her.

Kiera froze as he said he hoped to see the car. Why would he want to do that? She had heard it was beyond fixable. Kiera shook her head. "Why do you want to see it?" she asked, confused. Kiera knew she did not want to see the car. It would probably cause another breakdown. Alex had been so lucky to get out alive.
Kiera looked at Alex skeptically as he said he was fine. She wholeheartedly disagreed. It annoyed her that he was laying in the hospital bed, barely able to move, and yet he was joking. Kiera took the tissue he handed her and twisted in her fingers. "You scared me. You're in the hospital. How can I calm down?" she asked him, her voice barely above a whisper.

Alex smiled. Girls just never understood much about cars. 'Well, it was my first cars. It'd be nice if I could say bye for it. Besides, my favourite CD was in there. Hopefully, it might still be there,' he told her, hoping if she was like this to him, she wouldn't go to see the car. He reckoned it would just upset her.
He sighed as she asked him she could calm down. 'I'm sorry I scared you. I scared myself sick too you know. Waking up and finding your leg in a cast and finding you can't actually get out your bed is scary,' he told her before sighing. 'Sorry, I guess I'm a bit annoyed that I crashed my car,' he apologized, not sure how to continue. His headache was coming back slightly and he wasn't enjoying it to be honest.

Kiera shook her head. She would never understand that about cars. "I don't think I should go see the car. That's something I just can't handle." she said honestly. Kiera looked down her hand in his. She felt powerless and helpless, both were feelings that she never encountered. Kiera listened as he said it had been scary for him too. She knew it had to be but Alex just always seemed so mellow. He never got upset. Kiera looked back up and into his eyes. "You don't have to say sorry to me." she told him. She was just happy he was alive. Kiera knew there was something she needed to tell him. She looked back at their hands. This was not going to be easy for her to do. "I think that I was so scared and so upset about what happened because....because I think...I think I love you." she told him, not sure why she was telling him.

Alex gave her a shake of his head. 'Naturally,' he commented in return to her saying she didn't want to see the car. She had no sentimental value whatsoever for it and nor did Alex really, but it was just something he wanted know. How bad his first crashed had actually been. Suddenly a thought ran through him about his license. Would they take that away too? He sincerely hoped not.
He frowned slightly as she continued. Why was she telling him this? Hadn't she liked him more than that before when they first started dating. Maybe it had been him only. He had no idea on anything anymore it seemed. Sighing, more in frustration that he thought the last thought he had thought was probably true (confusing sentence :p ). 'Love's a big word you know. Not literally obviously, but still big,' he told her not sure what she was expecting. He liked her, a lot but love was meant to be for the one and he wasn't sure if Kiera was that one just yet.
The car by the way.

Kiera nodded her head. She knew what he was saying. After all she had said she thought she loved him. Not that she was sure. Kiera needed Alex to talk it through with her. She didn't think she could work it out alone. She wondered if it was just the near death experience that made her say that. There was something between them for sure. Still, she shook her head. "I know that. I just know I felt my heart break when I heard you were unconscious and in the hospital." Kiera told Alex, her eyes not leaving his face.

That car looks like hell!

Alex sighed. 'Maybe it's just because you freaked out. After all, without my jokes and annoying you, how could you not miss me?' he joked with her before shaking his head. 'Never mind, what I mean is that maybe you're just still overeacting and not thinking about what your thinking. Cause what if you don't love me, you just think you do at the moment because I'm stuck in this dingy prison,' he told her, his hands finding her shoulders so he could looked at her face properly. He was serious right now and though it was especially rare when that happened, he didn't feel uncomfortable with it for once. It felt normal. Normal. The words lingered in his head before he gave his girlfriend a warm smile.
'Not that I don't mind if you love me course. But err, doesn't matter actually,' he trailed off about something on how the lighting in the room was really bad. His heart felt warmed when she said she loved him but boys just didn't openly admit to that, did they??

Kiera smiled at his obvious joke. She shook her head. "You have no idea how much I would miss you, even your jokes and you annoying me." she said with a fond glance at Alex. Kiera's heart quickened as Alex grabbed her by her shoulders. She listened to what he had to say. He was serious and that really made Kiera think. He was hardly ever serious with her. Kiera had been dating Alex for 7 months now, with a slight break a few months back because of James. Kiera couldn't imagine herself with anyone else now. She cared for Alex too much. Did she love Alex? Kiera's heart melted at his smile. She felt like she was floating on a cloud whenever he was near her. Was that love?

Kiera sat down gently on the side of Alex's bed, extremely careful not to disturb him or hurt him. She laced her fingers through his. She looked back at him, so that he could see her whole face. "I can see your point but what if I do love you? Would that be so bad?" she asked, slightly hurt.

Alex sighed. That's what he was afraid of. He knew he was the same without her right now. If it was the other way round right now, he would definitely be freaking out just like her most likely. He would miss her too much to want to think about it. He let his fingers intwined with hers as she sat down. He smiled crookedly at her last questions.
'Well, if you do love me then, no, it wouldn't be so bad.' he simply replied, shrugging slightly but not really liking how his stomach had an effect to that. He hid his pain well though as he waited for it to return to it's background state before continuing.
'After all, what if I loved you back? Then it would be more good than bad,' he added, squeezing her hand softly.

Kiera listened to Alex say it wouldn't be so bad. Did that mean it would still be some bad? Kiera had a sinking sensation in the pit of her stomach. She heard him ask what if he loved her back. Kiera tried not to get her hopes up, after all, it was most likely that he did not feel the same about her. She turned her face from him, not sure what to say. She knew she did love him but should she admit it again? She didn't want to weird Alex out. Kiera sat in silence for a few moments. Just thinking. She was trying to get her thoughts together before she spoke again. Kiera's heart lurched once more as he squeezed her hand. It was funny how the slightest touch from him affected her so dramatically. She kept her gaze on their fingers. "I do love you." she said, deciding to be brave.

Alex sighed. His heart skipped a beat as Kiera told him she loved him. even after all they had been through and all the crap he had done to her, she still managed to love him. Cullen looked at their fingers before looking at Kiera. She had taken the same idea he had by looking at their hands. Taking his free hand, he took her chin loosely and lifted it up so he could see her beautiful face.
'I couldn't lie without you either as far as I'm aware,' he told her, his lips curving up at the sides. 'Now, do I get my kiss or not?' he asked her pouting jokingly before looking at her normally again. 'I do expect bed service,' he added raising an eyebrow jokingly at her.

Kiera felt Alex's hand on her chin, lifting her face upwards. She complied and her eyes found his. Kiera couldn't believe it as he said he couldn't live without her. The shock was evident in her eyes, before a smile spread across her face. That was the same thing as telling her he loved her too right? Maybe it was even better. Kiera couldn't help but laugh as he pretended to pout. "You can have as many kisses as you want." she said laughing. Kiera leaned to Alex, not wanting him to move and cause himself pain. Her lips brushed his, in a soft, sweet kiss. She broke away and looked at him again. Kiera frowned. "I know some minor healing magic if you want me to fix these cuts." she offered to Alex. Now that Kiera was finally 17 she could do magic outside of school.

Alex smiled as Kiera laughed. It was nice to hear her laugh when she had been crying five minutes ago. He enjoyed as she kissed him, letting himself forget that he wasn't in this stupid hospital bed for a second but she broke away too quickly for him and he remembered that there was the fact he was injured here.
'No, it's ok. They're just cuts. It's not like they're painful,' he replied to her smiling. 'But thanks all the same. I hope you didn't leave training to see me by the way,' he told her, his eyes traveling down her body which was still in gymnastics gear. He raised an eyebrow as he looked at her face amused. What would some people think he could only imagine. But she was his girl, no matter how hot other people thought she was.

Kiera was utterly happy at this moment. She knew that she shouldn't be since Alex was lying in a hospital bed but she couldn't help it. Alex loved her and she loved him. Kiera was finally reassured that Alex was going to be alright. Kiera was so happy that she couldn't keep herself from him. She leaned in to kiss him some more. She got a little carried away. When she moved away from him, it was just to answer his previous question. "Actually I did." she admitted sheepishly. "I was worried and upset. I didn't want to take the time to change when I didn't know what was going on with you." Kiera told him with a soft smile. Even laying in a hospital bed with cuts covering him, Alex was handsome. She couldn't help but smile at him.

Alex's happiness got even bigger as Kiera leaned in to kiss him more. She numbed the pain he was feeling a lot and besides, he felt a tinsy bit dizzy half the time which just made the sensation of no pain even better.
He laughed as she admitted she had. 'I don't know. You people always seem to worry way too much,' he joked with her good humourely, the 'people' referring to the female population. He smiled back at her, still trying to wonder if she really meant it when she said that she loved him. He'd have to think about that for a while.
But he didn't have time to dwell on that as something grumbled from the bed. Alex's cheeks pickenned ( :p ) as his hands coverred his stomach. 'Geesh, guess I was hungrier than I thought,' he thought aloud jokingly. In fact, he hadn't eaten anything since breakfast so it was pretty much normal for anyone, 'xcept that he wasn't allowed any food yet. <_<

Kiera smiled sheepishly at Alex as he implied that the female population worried too much. Kiera shook her head. "It was well deserved worrying. Don't you ever scare me like that again." she told him sternly. Normally she would have hit him playfully for emphasis. However, she didn't want to hurt him. Kiera frowned as she heard Alex's stomach growl. It didn't seem right that he couldn't eat. Kiera gently moved away from Alex. "You shouldn't be starved to death." she told him, concern on her face. "I'll be back in a minute." she said before leaning in to give him a kiss on the cheek. "I love you." she whispered softly in his ear before turning and disappearing out into the hallway.

Kiera returned about 15 minutes later. She had been having a 'discussion' with the nurses and doctors about what Alex could eat. Eventually, she got her way in a sort of compromise. Kiera returned to the room with a food tray in her hands. There was a bowl of chicken noodle soup, applesauce, jello, pudding, a small bowl of ice cream as well as some water on the tray. Kiera sat it in front of Alex. "They said you can eat this." she said with a warm smile on her face.

Alex laughed as she defended her case. He gave her a frown as she said he should be starved. 'I'm hardly being starved to death. I'm still here aren't I?' he objected though he was silenced by her kiss. 'Hmm,' he agreed not realising she was going away until she started leaving. Alex didn't welcome the silence and loneliness too well. And Kiera wasn't back in 60 seconds. Or 120...
As Alex counted he drifted into a light sleep due to the painkillers starting to kicking in again. But the door opening again soon made him awake himself again. Though he did like the view he was greated in. 'Wow, I'm defeinetely dreaming today,' he replied, jokingly with himself. 'Ta baby,' he told Kiera, giving her an air kiss and he took the tray from her and started with the soup, lifting it to his lips and drinking the soup only boys managed to get away with for manner-wise problems. When the bowl reutrned to the tray, it was empty and Alex smirked. 'You should eat too you know,' he told her, remembering she hadn't had anything either. He gave her a worried look but he did care about keeping her safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back