Not open for further replies.

Joel Gilligan

OOC First Name
Steven
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Straight 11 Inch Sturdy Hawthorn Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
Joël smiled as he walked towards the table with beverages. Although he never had a date or a friend to bring to these kind of events, he still enjoyed them very much. He liked the way the Great Hall looked, and loved that for one evening no one would be serious and stuff, even some of the professors would go dancing. He poured himself something to drink and then turned towards the dance floor, watching the other students dance and grinning at some of the moves before he would go dancing himself.

Layla Reyes had not been certain that she was going to attend the Valentine's Dance. She and Felix had broken up a few weeks ago. It had been mutual, and there were no hard feelings on her part. Still, she hadn't known if she would want to show up alone tonight. The beautiful dress she bought during the holidays had convinced her otherwise. She walked around the great hall until she spotted someone she knew. Joel. She smiled and went to the table where he sat. "Is this seat taken?" Layla asked with a smile.

Joel happily sipped from his drink while he watched the other students dance the night away. He was going to join them shortly but for now remained seated at the side, thinking back on the past six years at Hogwarts. It was crazy to imagine that he'd soon enter his last year at the school especially since it had changed his life a lot. A smile grew on the boy's face as he thought back on every good memory. Joel looked up when he heard a familiar voice echoing in his head, and smiled widely when he saw Layla standing in front of him. ''It's all yours.'' he said.

"Thank you." Layla said, as she took the seat next to Joel. She hadn't known the Gryffindor boy for long, but she liked him. They had quickly become friends, and Layla enjoyed his company. It didn't hurt that he was also attractive. "So, did you attend with anyone?" the brunette asked, interested. She didn't think Joel was dating anyone, but it was a certain possibility.

Joel smiled at Layla's question. He would've asked her to be his date to the dance, but the last time he checked she was still dating another friend of his, Felix. The Gryffindor shook his head and said, ''I didn't, I had nobody to ask, so came alone.'' before sipping his drink again. ''What about you? Why is one of the most beautiful girls in the school sitting next to me and not dancing on the dance floor with her boyfriend?'' Joel asked. He had no trouble with calling her beautiful because that's what she was to him.

Layla was surprised that Joel thought he had no one to ask to the dance. She knew he was handsome and lots of fun. There were many girls in the school that would have definitely said yes if he had asked. Layla didn't miss the fact that he called her beautiful. She blushed slightly. "Actually, we broke up a few weeks ago. We had been dating for several months, and it was fun. But really, we are better as friends." she said, clearly not upset about the break up. The relationship had been enjoyable while it lasted, but they weren't meant to be together forever. "I'm here alone tonight." she said with a smile.

Joel listened attentively and raised himself to an upright position once she told him that she was also alone here. He had to admit that he was slightly jealous of Felix because he was dating Layla, so couldn't help to smile widely. ''You wouldn't mind being my date then?'' the Gryffindor asked while standing up and offering Layla his right hand so that he could pull the girl up and lead her towards the dance floor.

Layla grinned as Joel stood up and held out his hand to her, asking if she would be his date this evening. The brunette always enjoyed the Gryffindor boy's company so she had no hesitation about her answer. She could think of many worse ways to spend the evening. She placed her hand in Joel's and let him help her up. "I would love that." she said with a smile as let him lead her towards the dance floor.

Joel couldn't believe his luck when she took his hand and allowed him to help her up so he could lead her towards the dance floor. Her words set a thrill of excitement coursing through his veins, and Joel could feel his heart beating faster as they echoed in his head. ''I must admit that I'm definitely not the best dancer here,'' the sixth year told the Hufflepuff as the two of them reached the dance floor, ''But for you I will try my absolute best.'' he said.

Layla grinned at Joel as he said he wasn't the best dancer. The look on his face was so endearing to her. "Lucky for you, I am a great dancer. People will be so busy looking at my moves they won't notice if you mess up."Layla teased lightly. She felt her pulse quicken as the music changed to a slow tune. She wrapped her arms around Joel's neck and moved in close to him. She felt butterflies in her stomach which surprised her. Joel was friends with Felix which was how they met. She had never considered whether or not she had feelings for him but now, she was reconsidering. She smiled at him. "I almost didn't come tonight. I'm glad I changed my mind."

Because Joel was a terrible dancer, he was hoping that the music would stay with an upbeat tune until they would eventually leave the dance floor so they could get something to drink. Unfortunately for him the music changed. He would have done alright by just moving his head to the beat or to use silly dance moves, but to slow dance? The Gryffindor chuckled at Layla's reply and forgot all about his worries when she wrapped her arms around his neck. Joel smiled as he put his hands on her waist, following her movements. ''I'm glad you did too.'' the boy answered back with a wink.

Shivers went up her spine as Joel placed his hands on her waist. Because of the way that the dress was made, his fingertips were touching her skin. The song was something unfamiliar, but she liked it all the same. She imagined that many of the songs tonight would be slow ones since this was a Valentine's day dance. Layla was just happy to be spending the evening with someone who was as wonderful as Joel and not alone. "So, how do you feel about the fact that pretty soon it will be your last year here?" Layla asked, curious as to whether he was happy, sad, or both.

As it turns out, slow dancing wasn't as bad as Joël thought it would have been, though had to admit that it didn't seem as difficult now that he was doing it with someone that he actually really liked. The Gryffindor didn't know whether or not Layla was supposed to be this close to him while they were dancing, but couldn't say that he did not enjoy having her this close to him for once. He had pretty much liked the fifth year ever since the two met but since she was already taken before he could ask her out, Joël was forced to stay at the sidelines and wait for his shot. He shrugged at the girl's question, "I was actually thinking about that before you walked up to me, the boy told her with a smile on his face, "I'm happy but also sad. Hogwarts is my home and since I still don't have the faintest idea of what I want do to after school.. At least I can rent a house in Brightstone Village thanks to my parents!" he said as he moved in a bit closer to her

Layla was a petite girl, slender and short. Her head did not touch the top of Joel's shoulders. She was aware that he was closer to her than he had been moments ago. She rested her head on his chest as they danced slowly in time with the music. Layla listened to his answer with a smile on her face. "I still don't know what I'd like to do after school either. I'm not particularly gifted in any of my classes." she admitted. She wasn't exactly the brightest when it came to classes. She had to work harder in school than most of her peers to get mediocre grades. "I'm glad you will still be close after you graduate next year. You can still visit me." She said, looking up to wink at him.

His cheeks turned red as soon as Layla rested her head on his chest. He had not expected her to do that and certainly didn't mind it. Joel listened attentively and smiled when she told him that she too didn't know what to do after school. He was somehow relieved to hear that she didn't have a clue what do to after graduation because it meant that he wasn't the only one struggling with this problem. ''Are you crazy? You're amazing.'' the Gryffindor commented, still smiling at the girl. Joel was surprised by what he had just heard and for a second didn't know how to respond, which was something that rarely happened to the boy. ''You want me to visit you?'' he asked after he had gathered his thoughts.

Layla's cheeks flushed as Joel called her amazing. She hadn't expected such a compliment from him, but she appreciated it. The Hufflepuff girl was afraid she had said something wrong when Joel lapsed into momentary silence at her comment about visiting her after he graduated. Maybe she had misjudged the situation. Maybe her crush on him was one-sided, or he didn't see her as a friend he would want to keep in contact with. Her face was red from embarrassment. "I would like that, but only if you want to or have the time." she answered, not sure how he was feeling.

His smile grew wider when the girl answered his question. He would love to visit her whenever he could, and since he would probably start looking for a job after graduation, the boy had all the time in the world to visit Layla during the Brightstone weekends. "I would really like to visit you, Layla." the sixth year told the girl as he looked down at her with the same smile still on his face, he hadn't stopped smiling once during their conversation.

The Hufflepuff girl's fears were alleviated as Joel spoke. Layla's face lit up as he said he would really like visiting her. "I'm going to hold you to that." she teased lightly. Layla just happened to glance over towards the drink table. There, she saw Felix and Lydia Archer kissing. The fifth year was a little surprised to find out she didn't feel jealous or upset. It only confirmed that she had been right that Felix was better as a friend than a boyfriend. It seemed his heart really was elsewhere. A small part of her thought that the person that she was currently dancing with might also have something to do with her lack of jealousy. She turned back to Joel, still smiling. Without thinking about it, she leaned up and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you for tonight." she said simply. She was enjoying herself more than she expected for this evening.

He blushed when she kissed him on the cheek and nodded his head with a small smile on his face. He was so happy that he had decided to check the Valentine's dance out this year after all because if not the girl of his dreams would not have kissed him on his cheek. ''I think I should thank you instead,'' the boy told Layla. He moved his hands from her waist to her hips, hoping the girl would allow that because his arms would be slightly more comfortable now. Even though all that Joel could think of at the moment was kissing the Hufflepuff on her lips, he tried his best not to since she had only broken up with his friend a few weeks ago and definitely did not want to make things uncomfortable as they were clearly enjoying each other's company.

Layla moved closer to Joel, closing in most of the available space between their bodies even though there hadn't been much space between them. The brunette girl looked up at Joel, her hazel eyes bright. "Really? Why is that?" The Hufllepuff wondered aloud. "It seems like you were doing just fine before I got here." she said with a wink. Layla really didn't have many friends, and one of her closest friends was actually her cousin. "On the other hand, you saved me from feeling pathetic tonight when my ex-boyfriend has already moved on." she said, not bitter but stating a fact. Layla actually liked Lydia.

Layla was so close to him right now that he could not stop smiling while she was talking to him. ''I guess I was, yes.'' he said whilst looking into the Layla's eyes. ''But if you hadn't shown up, I'd be dancing on me own instead of dancing with the most beautiful girl in the school.'' Joel said with a wink. He tilted his head slightly to the side when she told him he had saved her from feeling pathetic and chuckled. ''He's an idiot for breaking up with you.'' Joel told the girl truthfully. He didn't know the reason why they had broken up because his friend had not told him that, but knew that if it were him dating Layla he'd never break up with her.

The Hufflepuff blushed again. Joel kept calling her the most beautiful girl in school, and Layla certainly didn't believe that about herself. She knew she was pretty, but she wasn't so vain as to believe that there weren't girls who were much prettier than she was in the school. Layla smiled coyly at Joel. "Maybe." she admitted with a laugh. "No. Really it was for the best. It wasn't love for either of us, and it never would be. We are better as friends." she said, knowing that what she said was true. She wasn't heartbroken, or even really missing Felix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back