Getting ready for the game

Crispin V. Cold

Wand
Bloodwood Wand 15 1/4" Essence of Phoenix Ash
Crispin sat down at his house table, nodding his head to people sitting close by. He was still really shy and needed to meet more of them. He grabbed a bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and a milk. He was getting nervous about tomorrow's Quidditch game. Zoe-Hope couldn't make so he'd be playing Seeker. He hoped he could win the game. Or at least just stay on his broom and not get knocked off.

An owl landed next to him, dropping a rolled copy of the Daily Prophet next to his milk. He fed it some toast and flipped it open.

Athene entered the Great Hall, and took an empty seat opposite another Slytherin first year who was eating a breakfast of oatmeal.
"Hi," she said cheerfully. "I'm new, I missed the first train and had to be sorted late. My names Perthro. Athene Perthro."

Kale strode into the Great Hall with his Slytherin robes billowing behind him, it was the day of Slytherins first quidditch match and he thought that he should get something healthy for energy. At the sight of two first years sitting at the house table, he approached them since he hadn't talked to either of the first years. Kale recognized the girl from an encounter in Flourish and Blotts but didn't really formally meet her, he remembered the boy from the previous year. Kale picked up a fresh apple from a bowl on the table and rubbed it in against sleeve before taking a large bite out of it, "Greetings.." he said in the middle of chews, "I don't recall meeting you two." Kale said, swallowing and quickly flashing a smirk at the two.

Athene drew her eyes away from the first year and his breakfast.
"Hello," she said. "We met in that store you work at... I can't remember it's name. The one with the cranky assistant." She snorted. "Never liked Ravenclaws much." She added with a smirk.

Kale resisted the urge to roll his eyes at the first years comment about Estrella, "I work at Flourish and Blotts." he stated as matter of factly while taking another bite of his apple and staring at the girl, "That 'cranky assistant' is my girlfriend." Kale said calmly, not allowing his temper to get the best of him. During his past year while attending Hogwarts, he had only been in the prescence of one other Slytherin who had extreme beliefs on purity of blood or which house you're sorted into: Bellatrix, who had made a huge improvement since the first time he met her.

Kale stared at the girl, examining her from head to toe and over again, "I don't think I've caught your name." Kale said poignantly, while pouring himself pumpkin juice in the goblet in front of him.

Ford walked into the great hall, trying to keep his mind off of quidditch. He was anxious about the quickly approaching game, and had descended into a bit of a mood as a result. He saw some Slytherins at their House's table and walked over to them. Crispin and Kale were speaking with a girl that Ford had not yet met, however, she and Kale seemed to be in a serious conversation, so Ford simply sat and began eating some pancakes. He was watching the new arrival, trying to get a feel for her, as was his way whenever he met someone new.

Athene scowled at the Slytherin boy. "I know she's your girlfriend, though I have no idea why. She's a Ravenclaw, and she's not terribly pretty is she?" She added with a giggle."But I suppose after saying that you no longer want my name?" She smirked, "It's Athene Perthro anyway. I'm a pure blood," she stated proudly.

Kale shot the girl a dirty look at her comment, "What makes you so great that you get to shoot people down like that?" Kale stated with a sneer on his face, he curled his lip. This girl had already ruffled his feathers and it was only his second time ever seeing her. "You really shouldn't be judging peoples appearances when you don't have anything going for yourself." he said coldly, his piercing blue eyes narrowed to her. Kale ignored her name and blood purity comment, he wasn't ever planning on using it, so why learn another useless name?

At that, Kale turned around in his seat to direct his attention away from the girl who obviously had an appetite for drama. He was relieved to see Ford approach the table and sit down, "Mornin' sunshine." Kale said dryly with an air of annoyance in his voice and piling mounds of potato hash onto his plate.

Sophia entered the hall in her Slytherin robes. Her black hair hanging limply about her pale face, which was wearing a rather blank expression. She saw the gathering at the table and decided it would be best not to ignore her teammates so close to a game.

"Good morning," she said plainly to no one in particular as she took a seat opposite Ford. Despite not really feeling hungry, Sophia knew she should eat. She poured herself a glass of milk and put a few pieces of sausage and some scrambled eggs on her plate. After taking a sip she began to eat in small bites, silently observing those around her.

Ford grunted a response to Kale through a mouthful of bacon, then washed it down with some orange juice, "Hey Sophia," he said as she sat down. The new girl was interesting, and Ford had been listening keenly to her conversation with Kale. She seemed to have the pureblood prejudice that seemed fairly common amongst some of the Slytherins. She's entitled to her opinion, he supposed, But that doesn't give her the right to throw it about like a spoiled brat. Probably never spoken to a person of muggle descent in her life, Ford shrugged to himself.

"Athene, is it?" He said, "Ford Harkonnen. What's got you buggered with Kale?"

Crispin looked up from his paper when a girl then a boy sat down. He finished chewing his toast and introduced himself. "I'm Crispin Cold. Nice to meet you both." He was about to say more when they seemed to get into a squabble. He hid behind his paper, not wanting to get involved. He was still pretty shy around his housemates.

"Hey Ford." Crispin nodded to him. He glanced at the older student who sat down, but was too shy to ask her name.

"Morning Ford," Sophia said after she had finished swallowing her bite of eggs. She scanned the others assembled at the table and saw the boy greeting Ford as well. After searching her mind for a few minutes Sophia found she could not come up with a name for the boy.

"Hello, I do not think we have met. I am Sophia." Her face remained calm and blank, her voice completely void of emotion.

"Oh, hello Harkonnen, it's always a pleasure to meet fellow Slytherins," said Athene with a slight smile, completely ignoreing Kale. "And i've nothing against him," she added, jabbing her thumb in the direction of Kale and Sophia. "It's his girlfriend I don't like."

Crispin put aside his paper. He still wasn't used to the still beauty of most of the Slytherin girls. Especially not being around girls a lot, period.
"I'm Crispin, Crispin Cold. Nice to meet you Sophia." He thought of something to say and settled on, "Do you play Quidditch too?"

"Yes, I play Keeper. One moment," she said and turned her attention to the girl whose name she still did not know. Sophia thought Ford might have called her Athene.

"I am sorry, are you talking about Estrella?" Her expression was blank, but her tone was slightly more harsh now.

Kale took a large bite out of his toast and chewed it with a harsh expression on his face; clearly annoyed. He tried to be friendly to the new Slytherin girl, but she clearly did seem worth his time. Sitting at the table quietly, he listened to the slow conversation that was unfolding at the table before him; he'd rather not participate, he was too busy thinking about the quidditch game.

"Excuse me, but eaves dropping is rather rude," snapped Athene, glaring at the Prefect. "It's none of your business who I talk about."

Sophia narrowed her golden eyes at the girl, her expression hardening severely. "I was not eavesdropping, merely asking. But if you insist." She then turned to Kale, smirking. "Good morning Kale. How are you?"

Crispin stared at Athene. "Are you not feeling okay? I don't understand why you're being so rude,"he said, confused by her attitude. He knew everyone in Slytherin wasn't cheery all the time, but to be outright mean. It was odd to him.

Athene stared at the boy. That girl was just as rude to me as I was to her! She thought indignantly. She was eavesdropping, and it is not any of her business what I was talking about.
Out loud, however, she said "I'm fine," through gritted teeth.

Crispin wasn't convinced but dropped it. Sometimes he wondered if he'd been sorted into the right house. "So are you in Quidditch too?" he asked, trying to lighten things up.

"Of course not!" She laughed softly. "First years are not allowed to join quidditch teams until they have passed their flying lessons, and flying lessons are not complete. What year are you in?" Athene wasn't entirely sure if she'd seen him in her classes or not.

This being an area that concerned Ford personally, he decided to speak up, "At this point most houses are taking what they can get, there are not that many students," he said dryly, as usual, as if he really didn't care, "There are two first years on the Slytherin team. So there's a chance. We have permanent positions filled, but we need backups." He took a swig of orange juice and continued eating his bacon.

Kale shot the girl yeat another disgusted look, he pounded his fist on the table; he then turned to Sophia as she spoke to him, "Hello Sophia," he said calmly while sipping his pumpkin juice. "I am fine." Kale said gritting his teeth at the girl who was still talking nonsense to Crispin, "How are you? I think we're going to play a good game today." he said trying to lighten the tension at the table and control his anger.

Sophia took a drink of her apple juice and set the cup on the table. "I am well, thank you. Yes, I definitely think the game will be a good one." Sophia smirked at Kale and began to pick at her scrambled eggs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back