Closed From the Worst Situations

Lavender felt deep sympathy for him, knowing exactly how it felt to watch someone die and be unable to help them. She hadn't had the same drive to be the help for others, but she could understand it. Lavender wanted to reach out and take his hand and almost did so before she stopped herself and pulled back. "I'm sorry about your mother," she spoke softly, her voice deeply sympathetic, there was a pain in it, like she knew how it was. "It's okay Elijah," she said to him, not wanting him to do something that would put others out. "I can rest in the chair. This is not the first time I have been in this sort of situation," Lavender assured him.

Elijah chuckled, reaching out to snag the hand she'd attempted to offer him. "Lavender," He murmured gently. "Let me take care of you, won't you?" He told her. "I don't know why, I just... there's something about you that's drawing me in." He smiled gently. "It's the least I can do, and you need rest before your shift. Please?" He pleaded with her gently.

Lavender didn’t know why he was doing this. Why he seemed drawn to her. He’d soon realise she was stupid and pathetic. He’d realise she was worthless and she’d be alone again. Lavenders gaze dropped to her hand before she glanced back at him. “Okay, you…you can move my mum, and I will rest,”

Elijah smiled. "Thank you," he murmured, pulling out his phone. He sent out a few quick texts as their food was brought out. He smiled gently at her and set in to eat his salmon. "So, Lavender, tell me about yourself." He asked her.

Lavender had gotten macaroni and cheese. It was perhaps a little childish but she had wanted it. The food was placed in front of her and she pulled her hand out of Elijahs to be able to eat. She took a few quick bites of food and practically moaned in pleasure, blushing furiously. “I’m sorry,” she replied. “Oh, there’s not much to say really. I was born in Dublin, moved when I was fourteen. I got a job at fifteen to help my parents and sister,” there were details missing in that, but she was sure it was all he needed to know. “You?” She returned the question and focused mostly on eating. Eating quickly as if this had been her first real meal in a long while.

Elijah noted her reaction to the food. It was cute, almost, if not a little worrying. "Oh, I was raised by a nanny mostly after mothers passing. Father and Mother met working for a shipping yard; she was a secretary and he worked the docs. He was a hard worker and moved quickly up to captain of his own ship. But when we lost mother, he had to hire a nanny to watch my brother and I when he was away. He worked hard to provide, hes a good man. My brother is somehow working his way through law school, when he isn't taking a week to go camping or partying," he chuckled. "Hes a good kid, if not a bit of a mess. Father just adopted a little girl and I think he's finally met someone," he told her, sipping his drink.

Lavender listened to him actually talk about his family, about growing up and about his brother. He spoke so fondly of him, he looked beautiful when he did. The father must be kind too. Lavender had quickly finished most of her meal as he spoke, only slowing down at the last few bites. “My sister…she was born sick, something went wrong and she…we moved here because there were doctors, expensive doctors. I had to work because my parents couldn’t, they were looking after her. But she died anyway, and it broke my parents. She was their pride and joy.” Lavender spoke quickly and quietly the words spilling out of her, like they never had before. She blushed. “I’m sorry, I…shouldn’t have said that…,”

Elijah listened closely to Lavender, his heart reaching out to her. Gently, he took her hands and held them in his. "Lavender," he soothed her. "Thank you for telling me." He lowered his head, pressing a gentle kiss to her hands. "I would still like that date, if you'd let me. When are you available?" He asked, rubbing his thumb against her knuckles.

Lavender blushed deeply, she couldn't meet his gaze, could only stare for a long while at the spot where he had just kissed her hands. She could almost still feel his lips on there. This had been nice, eating properly, sitting down with someone, talking to someone had been nice, she'd been alone so long. But he didn't actually want this, surely. His thumb was rubbing against her knuckles. "I'm working a lot, but I have some time on Wednesday," it was a full five days away and she had been planning on spending the free time sleeping and visiting her mum, but maybe, maybe she should just let herself be taken on a date. "Does that work?"

Elijah smiled, pulling out his phone and looking at his schedule. "Hm... I can slip away for an hour or two Wednesday afternoon." He looked up to her, smiling softly. "Where would you like to go?" He asked, rubbing his thumb still over her knuckles.

Lavender felt herself smile at the offer, a couple of hours on Wednesday afternoon would be good. She didn't want to be excited but she was immediately so. She was actually going on a date. "Oh, I don't know..." Lavender replied softly. She finally looked back up at him. She wanted to go somewhere cheap so she could pay her half but she was sure he wouldn't like that. "Can it be close to the hospital...just in case?"

Elijah smiled. "Oh, absolutely. I happen to know a rather nice Italian place near the restaurant," He told her, mainly because they had a killer lobster mac and cheese that he thought she would like. He pressed another kiss to the back of her hand. "Would it bother you if I started stopping by your coffee shop for coffee?" He asked her. "My usual place is closing down."

Lavender nodded, thinking that a nice italian would be nice, perhaps she could even insist upon paying for her share. The woman just blushed at him kissing her hand before shaking. "Not at all," she said to him. She thought about going behind the counter and making it herself so she was sure it was good. "Thanks for this...," she said, her voice trailing off.

Elijah chuckled, pressing another kiss to her hand. "Lavender, you are absolutely adorable," He complimented her easily. "This won't be easy," he told her. "I haven't quite finished my schooling, and I'm on an accelerated program, it's very difficult." He spoke to her earnestly. "But could I perhaps get your number? I want to get to know you more, and I know my schedule is... difficult. But please, could you be patient with me and give me an honest chance?" He pleaded gently.

Lavender didn't think she was adorable. Didn't think he would think that soon. She wouldn't mind that he didn't have much time. She didn't either really between her two jobs and her mum. Lavender was also sure that the tight schedule would let this fizzle out and he'd find someone better. "You're giving someone like me a chance," her tone was laced with a soft sharpness, Lavender had a low opinion of herself. "I can give you a chance," She told him before giving him her number.

Elijah took her number quickly. He could tell that Lavender was going to take some winning over, but honestly, he didn't mind. She wasn't like the usual girls he'd spent time with- she wasn't the one night sort of girl, the party and part ways. He just smiled. "Let me walk you back, at least." He paid the bill before standing, guiding her back in against his side with her hand in the crook of his arm. "What sort of flowers do you like?" He asked her, starting the slow walk back to the hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back