Closed French & Friendship

Daniel thought that Ravenclaw sounded like a good house."What are the other house like?" Kara offered to go shopping with him for his school supplies."That would be great! My parents weren't keen on having me go alone, but they didn't really want to come either. That way I'd have someone with a proper idea of what to do!" He laughed, since he had been really nervous about going to get school supplies, but this sounded good. That way his parents would know he was with someone and that they didn't have to come. He was relieved.

Kara loved talking about the stuff she learned and was happy to tell him about the other houses. "Gryffindor is most commonly known for their bravery, Hufflepuff for their loyalty, and Slytherin for their cunning attitude." She, of course, knew these were just generalizations, but it was the basics. "They all have their own common rooms, those other houses are not allowed in. That's where your dorm will be."

Kara was excited that he wanted to come with. "It'll be with my parents, so if your parents felt more comfortable they would be happy to talk to them beforehand. It's my first time shopping for supplies." She said, realizing how silly of a statement that was. "I mean it's my first year, but I have never gone shopping for supplies with anybody older. My cousins might come with, but I am not sure. They are a little unpredictable."

Hearing about the houses made Daniel's heart race. It was actually happening and it was all real. He had worried that something would happen and he'd wake up and realise it was all a dream, but it was real! "You said earlier that you wanted to be sorted into Ravenclaw, right? I think that'd be a good choice for you!" He couldn't decide which house he wanted to be in, since they all sounded different."I don't think Gryffindor or Slytherin would suit me, I'm not really brave or cunning."

Daniel nodded."My parents are coming to pick me up soon. Maybe they could talk then?" He didn't want to leave. He wanted to learn more about magic and everything about Hogwarts, but that would have to wait until he went to school."How cool would it be if we got sorted into the same house? Then we'd know someone in our own house!" And then I would have someone to ask questions if I was confused or got scared about something! Daniel wanted to seem like he was chilled out, but he was quite scared to go to Hogwarts with hardly any knowledge. Talking to Kara was helping a lot.

Kara nodded. "I don't think I could be in Slytherin or Gryffindor, to be honest with you. I am definitely not brave enough either. Hufflepuff is a maybe for me." She wondered what houses they would ultimately get sorted into and secretly hoped they would be in the same house. Of course, it wouldn't change much if they were in different houses.

"Yes, my mom is here with me, I am sure she wouldn't mind!" Her mom was usually welcoming and would love to see her make friends. "That would be super awesome if we got in the same house. We could study together too, we would have the same class schedule for the first year anyway." She was a little embarrassed by how excited she was. "I can't wait to get my first wand."

Daniel's eyes brightened."Do we get them when we go and get the rest of our school supplies? I'd guess that we would really be able to use them before we go to school, since we wouldn't know any magic yet." He was super excited. He hoped that his sisters would be magical too, and they could all go to Hogwarts together. But even just having one person he knew would make the experience so much better.

"We get them pretty much around the same time as the rest of our supplies. I can hardly wait, but I am trying to be patient." Kara was excited to go for her supplies. "I have been looking at potion supplies and all of that, I really can't wait for that either."

She realized she didn't explain the best part. Glancing around to make sure they were still alone, she whispered again. "The wand chooses you. It's pretty amazing how it works, but wands can be just as fickle as people are and they tell a lot about a witch or wizard."

"That is super cool," Daniel said. He couldn't wait to get his wand."How long does it take? I would be pretty embarrassed if it took ages." He didn't like being in the center of attention for too long and getting a wand sounded like there could be a possibility of that happening."What if a wand doesn't choose you? Are you allowed to do magic?" He hoped that he would get a wand, because it wouldn't be fun to know all of this stuff and miss out.

“I don’t think it usually think it takes very long. I’ve heard the stories from both my parents about their wand choosing ceremony. Neither of them said it took a long time.” Kara pauses to ponder. She hadn’t considered that before.

“I have never heard of a case of a wand not choosing someone. Although, I hadn’t stopped to consider this. I’ll have to do some more research on that, I’ll let you know what I find out.” Her mind now had a million questions of its own. “You don’t even need a wand to do magic, think of the magic you did without realizing it was magic. I don’t think you need to worry about that.”

Daniel laughed with relief when Kara said that he shouldn't be worried."I shouldn't be, I'd just hate to get this far and be told I can't go to Hogwarts. That would be super disappointing." He didn't like to admit it, but he had worked hard to try and convince his parents to let him go. He would hate the that work to go to waste, especially if his sisters were both magical too.

“There is a book and quill at Hogwarts that writes the name of magical children. It’s never made a mistake and even double checks itself. Your name shows when you show a big sign of being magical.” Kara said trying to reassure him with facts. That’s the best way she knew to help people. “You belong there just as much as I do.”

She glanced at her watch, realizing that their conversation wouldn’t last long much longer. “Do you have a phone? We have a muggle phone because our grandparents. I don’t use it too often, but I don’t know how accustomed to Owl Post you are.” Kara was excited to maybe get an owl of her own this year.

Daniel breathed a sigh of relief."Well, that's good." He nodded."I don't have an owl, so Owl Post is probably not the greatest idea. We have a landline, though it's back in Australia. So it could be expensive to call." Still, he gave Kara his number and promised that once he got an owl, they could communicate that way.

“I am sure it’ll be alright. It’ll be temporary anyhow. You can always send an owl via the post.” Kara gave him a reassuring smile. She wrote her phone number down and took his.

“We can talk freely on the phone and via owl. I can always send you an owl and you can send the same owl back if needed.” She said trying to think of other solutions.

Daniel nodded."That could work. At least, until I get my own owl." He had never thought about buying a pet, but maybe an owl would be useful. Especially if he wanted to talk to people. He wasn't sure what his parents would think about it, but that didn't matter. They'd just have to get used to it.

"We can strategize our shopping plan to be most effective," Kara said. "I am really excited." She said beaming from ear to ear. Her plans for the school year were coming together and she was excited to have somebody to join her on the adventure from the beginning.

"I have dinner with my grandparents tonight, so we will probably be leaving soon," Kara said solemnly. "I will tell my mom and we will wait for your parents. I don't think she will mind."

Daniel nodded."That feels so far away now, but I'm sure it'll go quickly!" They walked to the front of the library, to find Kara's mother, and just add they reached the front, Daniel's parents asked in."Mum, Dad, this is Kara. I met her at the coffee shop the other day." How do I get this across to them? Luckily, Kara had gone to ask her mother about what they had spoken about. Hopefully, she'd be able to ask them without giving anything big away in public.

Kara shuffled off to find her mom in the sitting area and went up to her. "A boy I met the other day from the coffee shop is going to the same school as me and he is here. His parents aren't used to the school supplies and I told him he could come shop with us. Will you talk to them?" Her mother seemed surprised but delighted to hear about a new friend and agreed. Following alongside Kara, they made their way to Daniel.

"Kara tells me they are attending the same school together next year. You must be very proud of your son. My name is Candace" Candace Munn said to his parents, holding out her hand. "Kara said that he might like to tag along to go shopping for school supplies this summer."

Kara looked at his parents hopeful and smiled at Daniel.

Daniel hoped that his parents would agree to letting him go. It sounded like it would be heaps of fun and not too much trouble for them. His parents shook Kara's mother's hand and introduced themselves."I'm Lucy," his Mum said."Hugo," his Dad said. His Mum quickly took over the conversation from his Dad."That would be a great experience for Daniel! Hugo, don't you agree?" His Dad looked at his Mum, then at Daniel. Daniel hoped that he would agree, since he was most against Daniel going to Hogwarts."I think it would make things easier for us," he finally said."We would appreciate it very much." Daniel grinned at Kara. That had gone better than he had expected.

Kara was especially excited now. "I can't wait." She looked at her mother with a smile. "Oh! Before I forget! It's almost my birthday. Would you like to come to my birthday party?" Kara's birthday was coming up soon as it was almost March.

Daniel looked at his Mum, who he knew would be more likely to say yes. She nodded and he grinned."Sure! That sounds like fun!" He was pleased to be invited to Kara's birthday party, since it meant that he might be able to be close friends with her. It would be nice to have a close friend at a new school, with a new environment. And he might learn more about magic then too."Daniel, we're going to have to go back to the house now. We didn't want to leave the girls for too long," his Mum said. He nodded and said to Kara,"I gave you my number, right? Did I give you the one for where I'm staying now?" He didn't think he had, so he gave her both just in case. He quickly wrote them down on a piece of paper."It was nice seeing you again. Maybe we could meet up again to talk more?"

Kara accepted the phone number and was happy to hear he was going to come to her party. "I'll send you an invitation by post as well." Her mom informed her that it was also time they get going to meet her grandparents. "See ya, Daniel, I'll try to call you as soon as I can."

Kara proceeded to check out her library books with the librarian so that they could leave for dinner.

Daniel nodded and waved as his family left the library."So, she's going to school with you? I think it will be good for you to have some friends," his Mum said. Daniel nodded."I think it'd be cool if we were in the same house. Do you remember the person talking about the house?" He explained everything to them as discreetly as possible. It was important, even though he was excited, to not give anything away in public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back