Kara Munn

Future Potioneer in Blue 💙🦅
OOC First Name
Harleigh
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
The library was a rather tall building and very beautifully designed. Kara held on to her book bag strap and walked quietly alongside her mother. They often frequented the library and Kara would read any book she could get her hands on. She couldn't wait until she got to Hogwarts next year, all the magical knowledge at her fingertips.

This library was only a muggle library though, which was still full of knowledge for Kara to learn. Kara grabbed a couple of books from her bag and dropped them in the return slot as she entered the building.

"I'll be over there in that sitting area when you are ready, remember we can't stay too terribly long today because grandma and grandpa are coming over for dinner." Kara's mom said before walking away.

Kara made her way up the steps in the library and found the section with languages. She was looking for a new book on French grammar. Her eyes scanned the shelves for different options.

Daniel knew that it was hopeless to hope that there were books on magic in a non-magical library, but nothing? Really? He was at least expecting fiction novels on the topic. He walked down to the other end of the library, past the horror, past the detective novels, past the languages...

Wait. Daniel stopped and walked back. The girl looking at books looked familiar. Is this the girl from the coffee shop? He couldn't remember. May as well ask."Kara?"

In Kara's arms was a French book for kids, she was hoping it would simply grammar enough. Her eyes scanned the table of contents when she heard her name. Turning her attention to a boy standing in the aisle, she realized it was Daniel, the boy she met at the coffee shop.

"Hi Daniel," Kara said softly. "What are you doing here?"

Kara shut the book and held it in her arms.

Daniel wasn't sure what to say."Uh, this is going to sound weird, but I'm actually looking for magic trick books." Well, wasn't that just smooth. Those are at the front of the library. He was never good at lying and this was extremely difficult. He wasn't sure if she was magical, even though it sounded like she was, but he didn't want to take any chances."What are you looking for?" Dude, she literally already has a book in her hands.

Kara's eyebrows lifted at the sound of magic. She wondered if this was a hint at something.

"Magic tricks are fun. I haven't found many magic books here." She said with a sigh. "French grammar books, I am hoping to refine my grammar." Kara motioned to the book in her hand.

Kara shifted her bag on her shoulder.

"Y... Yeah, I haven't seen any either." Kara mentioned her French, and Daniel wondered if she was going to be learning French at her boarding school."Are you studying French at school?" Maybe she isn't magic, maybe you were lucky will your magic trick comment.

"No, at least I don't think so," Kara admitted. "It's not a very traditional school in that sense, I am not quite sure how to explain it."

She reached for another French book that was a standard grammar book with activities. Kara looked at Daniel again.

"What about you? What are you studying in school?" She asked. "Magic tricks?" Kara added with a laugh.

Kara was attempting to shift the direction far away from her school but realized magic was still magic sometimes.

"Uh." Daniel didn't know how to answer that."I guess?" Dude, what are you doing? "I get distracted easily, so um, I'll probably spend more time on magic tricks than actual school." He shrugged."If that makes sense."

Kara awkwardly shifted her feet. They both seemed mildly uncomfortable about the subject and she wondered if that was a sign. How can I cleverly figure out if he is magical? She had read about how people used to wear green and purple in combination to signify to others they were magical, but that was not done as much anymore. There were other tales that were common in the wizarding community but mostly among other folks.

She was racking her brain thing she could say that wouldn't expose herself to a muggle if he was one, but it was proving more difficult than she thought. "Have you tried looking other places for magic trick books?" Kara asked trying to keep the conversation going. "When do you leave for boarding school?"

"I haven't looked anywhere else yet. Uh, I leave in a few months." How do you tell if someone else is magical? Should I just ask? No, that's a really bad idea."When do you leave? Maybe we're attending places close to each other." Yeah, real smooth. Daniel cringed slightly. He didn't think there were any other boarding schools near Hogwarts, but maybe there were.

"I leave in September," Kara said. "That's always a possibility."

Racking her brain to think of some way to pass a hint, she figured it out. The story of Angus the squib and his accomplishments in the muggle world in rugby. It became a trend to ask somebody who their favorite rugby team was and a witch/wizard would reply with the Scottish rugby team. She had read all about it in My Life as a Squib. At one point it was a bestseller! It was worth a shot to see if he knew about it if he was a wizard or if he was a muggle.

"This is kind of off topic, but," Kara was nervous now. "Who is your favorite rugby team?"

There was still the possibility he wouldn't understand the reference, even if he was a wizard.

Daniel was a little confused. Rugby team? Was this a reference to magic? He thought hard. Why didn't I read more books? Wait, wasn't it Scotland? No, was it England? I was told this! "Uh, I don't really watch rugby often, but maybe the Scottish team? They're pretty good." That's right, it was them."Yeah, the Scottish team. You?"

Kara's eyes lit up with understanding, well at first they did, but then he hesitated. She held her breath and then he confirmed his final answer. He definitely knows its a reference to something. how many kids my age watch Scottish rugby?

"I could watch Scottish all day," Kara said with a smile. She still couldn't believe it. "My favorite player of all time is Angus Buchanan."

It had been nearly 122 years since he had died, this should be a safe giveaway and obvious to a wizard.

Daniel raised an eyebrow. Hadn't he been told that the player wasn't alive anymore?"Really? Hasn't it been a while since he's played?" He couldn't remember the exact details, but he was sure that Angus Buchanan wasn't alive."Like, a good while?" Man, I hope I'm getting these details right.

"122 years, to be exact. He hasn't played in longer than that. Definitely an old fellow." Kara said. He has to be a wizard, it's basically confirmed at this point.

She smiled at him and tucked both books under her arm tight. Kara decided to risk it at this point, something not typically in her nature, but she had gone down all the routes to attempt to determine if he was magical. Besides, if it came down to it, she would turn herself in to her mother.

"Are you going to Hogwarts?" Kara's voice dropped to barely a whisper.

Daniel grinned."Just a bit of an old fellow. I wonder how he's going." This had to mean that she was magical. No other person would mention those two things so casually.

When Kara asked if he was going to Hogwarts, Daniel's eye brightened."Yes, are you?" His voice was also barely above a whisper."I thought you were, the other day at the coffee shop. But I wasn't sure if the other girl, Juniper, was. I hoped if you were you'd get my magic trick book comment." He laughed, but still kept it quiet.

Kara was excited as they talked. "Yes, I am." She said in a hushed voice. "I thought you might be too, I still don't know about Juniper."

Her risk had paid off and it was a new feeling for Kara. She wasn't sure if she liked it, but for now, it was a reason to celebrate.

"Do you wanna go sit in the corner at those tables over there? It's more secluded and we can talk." She asked, hopeful of her new wizard friend.

Daniel nodded."Somewhere secluded would be easier to talk, yeah. Let's do it." They picked a table, one far away from everyone else and sat down."How long have you known you were magical for? Are you parents magical? I wish mine were, they said that they didn't want to let me go to Hogwarts, because they thought it could be dangerous." He stopped talking, since his voice was starting to get a little louder than a whisper and he hadn't meant to mention that last thing. Well, too late now.

Kara pulled out a chair and sat down. As she listened to Daniel's questions, it dawned on her that he was Muggle-born. That made things make a little more sense, all though it made no difference to her.

"My parents are both magical, my mother is a muggle-born and my father is a half-blood." She replied to him. "I promise Hogwarts is one of the safest places around. Magic isn't something that needs to be feared."

Kara looked around again to make sure nobody was listening in before continuing. "I always assumed I would be magical like my parents, but there is, of course, no guarantee. I showed small signs according to my parents, but I didn't show my first true sign until I was 5. There was a neighbor boy, muggle, who began teasing me. One day I got so upset by it and blew all the leaves off the small tree we had just planted in our yard." She remembered the day vividly, she finally shown her powers and no longer was upset by the boys teasing. "What about you? How did you find out?"

"I was hanging out with my sisters and you know those bubble blower things? Like the ones that you press a button and it blows the bubbles itself? We were using one of those and then they just started changing colours." Daniel laughed. He and his sisters thought they were hallucinating. "A few days later, someone came and explained everything. I was so scared." He grinned, since he now thought it was funny, but it hadn't been at the time. His parents hadn't been pleased.

“What about your sisters? How old are they?” Kara asked. “I have a brother and he has showed signs, but he is too young for Hogwarts still.”

She wondered what it would be like to not have known about magic her whole life. “How did you feel? I couldn’t imagine just now finding out.” Kara had so many questions for him, but wasn’t sure how long she had left because of dinner.

“What subject are you most excited for? How much do you know?” She said realizing how rude she might have sounded. “Sorry, I don’t mean to assume. I don’t want to be rude.”

Daniel shrugged."They're about nine and six, but I haven't seen any signs. They could be hiding them though." He laughed."I was so excited to find out. It was amazing. I'm not to sure about subjects, I don't know any. I'm guessing there isn't going to be maths or anything." He grinned."I know virtually nothing. It's fine, I would be interested too." He thought for a moment."I hope that the subjects are interesting, but then again, anything with magic would be interesting!"

"The subjects are most definitely interesting." Kara beamed. "I am most excited for potions, my dream is to become a potions master." She didn't know why she was telling him all this, but the excitement of meeting a new wizard friend in a muggle place was cool to her.

"There are four houses at Hogwarts and you get sorted by the sorting hat. Each house represents a different trait. I am hoping I get sorted into Ravenclaw. Do you know which house you are going to be in?" Kara whispered to him, she again didn't want to assume knowledge. She figured they would've explained this to him when they told him about Hogwarts, but then again, she had no idea.

"Potions sounds really inserting. Is that like making medicines or something?" Daniel shrugged."I don't know which house I want to be in. They all sound cool though. Like each one has very different people. Ravenclaw's the smart house, right?" He had been told this when he was accepted, but he still wasn't sure.

"Potions can be used for healing, bewitching, and poison. It's stronger magic, takes more patience and care but the magic is more powerful and last longer." Kara said. "Ravenclaw is known for their intellect and wit. My dad was a Ravenclaw. My mom was a Gryffindor."

She was excited to be going to Hogwarts and she was more excited that she knew somebody that was going directly. "Maybe when it's time to go shopping for supplies, we could go together? Or some of them anyway." Kara thought it would be nice to have a friend to go shopping with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back