Ford's rock

Sophia seemed considerably more at ease now. She was no longer dizzy, and was actually enjoying speaking with Ford. It was quite strange for Sophia to be enjoying a conversation. “Both of my parents are pureblood, or say they say. My mother is really the only one who makes a deal of it. She comes from a famously pureblood family, the Princes. I'm actually related to Severus Snape. I like to believe that is where I got my love for potions.

"So, what does your father do for a living?"

Ford quieted a little at the question, his usually confident manner slipping from his grasp.

"Not sure. He ran off when I was little to hunt trolls in Sweden. My mother never heard from him afterwards," he looked up at Sophia who seemed slightly embarrassed to have asked, "No, it's alright. I've never really known him." Ford bounced back almost instantaneously, "So, related to Severus Snape? That's pretty cool. I've seen you in potions, you're really good there. Can't say the same for myself, though."

Sophia was indeed embarrassed upon hearing about Ford's father. She frowned slightly, feeling bad for bringing it up and forcing Ford to think about it. She noticed Ford's change in both subject and demeanor and decided to go with it, pretending not to notice. A hint of her usual smugness returned as she talked about potions. "Oh, you're not bad really. You simply need more practice. My mother let me practice with potions before I came to school, so naturally I am a bit ahead. I can help you if you'd like."

"That'd be cool," Ford said, "We could find an unused classroom and set up a cauldron and stuff. You could teach me potions, and I could teach muggle politics...or muggle culture in general."

A small smile was curling onto Sophia's lips, trying to take over, but only currently at the corners. She was fighting it back, not wanting to give in. What was wrong with her? "Yes, that would be nice." She looked away from Ford, seeming to be somewhere else all together. "It's getting late, I should probably get inside."

"It is getting late," Ford nodded and stood up and extended his hand to her, "It was a nice night, though."

Sophia looked to Ford's extended hand and began to put her hand toward his. She suddenly stopped and put her hand back at her side, standing on her own, her gaze downward. "Yes, it was a nice night." She then looked up at Ford, trying her best to keep her expression emotionless, failing as a slight hint of something - not fear, nor sadness, perhaps agitation? - could be detected in her golden eyes. Sophia straightened her back and swung her long black hair behind her, inwardly hoping that she hadn't offended or hurt Ford. "Well, shall we go?"

Ford looked at Sophia and cocked his head, What's bothering her? He thought, All night it seems like she's been keeping something in. Ford determined that Sophia would let herself go when she felt right, he didn't want to push her.

"Alright," he smiled, "Let's go." He hopped down off the rock and waited for Sophia to follow him.

Sophia hopped down from the rock after Ford and began walking up toward the castle, lighting her wand with "Lumos" along the way.

Ford walked beside her up to the castle and down to the Slytherin common room and from there to bed.

He pulled the curtains of his four-poster shut and tried to fall asleep, but was unsuccessful. He couldn't help but think that, despite trying to hide it, Sophia had enjoyed herself. Atleast he hoped so.

Ford sauntered down to his rock on the lakeshore. It was located in a secluded spot across the lake from the castle and he had a commanding view of the castle from it.

He sat down on the rock and dropped his bag on the ground nearby. He was tempted to study for his finals, but decided against it, and pulled out his wand. The last vestiges of sunlight were painted on the sparse wispy clouds in the sky as the sun set in the west.

"Accio rock," Ford had summoned a particular rock so many times he could summon it from the bottom of the lake by rote. The rock flew out of the water and into his open hand. He tossed it up into the air and caught it on it's way back down, "There's gotta be a way to make this illuminate." He pondered aloud.

He put down the rock next to him and reached behind him to pull out the charms book he had purchased at the bookstore. He began to page through it looking for some variants on lumos that would light up another object besides the tip of the wand.

Sophia had wandered outside with her books, needing to get away from the castle. There was just too much going on right now, and with exams coming up she needed a break. She ended up walking along the lake, and as she remembered her times here with Ford, she had to fight back a smile. She sighed, composing herself and looked around her. Sure enough, there was Ford, by his usual rock. Well, it wouldn't hurt to go over there. Sophia walked over to where Ford was sitting and stood before him. "May I join you?"

Ford looked over to Sophia and smiled, "Of course." He shifted on the rock to make some space for Sophia to sit down next to him, "I'm trying to figure out how to get this," Ford picked up the rock, "to light up."

He cocked his head to the right and looked at Sophia, "It's getting pretty crazy up there," he motioned to the castle, "I came here to relax and kick it, yourself?"

Sophia sat down beside Ford, setting her bag down beside the rock. "Same. Well, to relax anyway. I was considering studying, but I suppose I can take a break. So, you're trying to light up a rock?" Sophia seemed a bit confused by this, wondering why anyone would want to light up a rock.

Ford cocked his head the other direction, "Well, there's got to be a spell that illuminates other objects, and this rock is as good as anything to practice with."

He tossed the rock up into the air and caught it again, "What do you suppose lives in this lake," he asked. A slight breeze blew ripples in the lake and blew Sophia's black hair. Ford looked at her, his head still cocked to the side, as if seeing her for the first time.

Ignoring Ford’s desire to light up a rock, Sophia considered his question. She looked at him with her piercing golden eyes, her long, slick black hair blowing around her face. “Apparently a giant squid. It supposedly attacked that Maddiie girl. It seems plausible though. What do you think?”

"It seems plausible. The lake's big enough," he said, looking over the lake. The only sound was the wind blowing through the trees and over the water, "A giant squid would be pretty wicked, though. Maybe there's mermaids in there, too. Like there was at the original Hogwarts," he shrugged.

"I wonder if we're going to get some more Slytherins this coming year. To counterbalance the 'insane-proto-deatheater' effect that Bellatrix seems to exude. We've got a few so far, but we're still pretty small."

"Bellatrix has not done good things for Slytherin's image. I hope we get some first years who are worthy to be called Slytherin wizards. I have only met one of the first years thus far, and she..." Sophia broke off, unsure of how to end her thought. She decided instead to continue with something new. "Yes, Slytherin is very small. It is rather unhelpful in trying to earn the house cup." Sophia then looked out to the lake, her golden eyes seeming to glow in the twilight. She hoped she did not appear as nervous as she felt. She was unsure as to why, but she felt jittery. She took in a deep breath as the wind picked up, whipping her black hair around behind her.

Ford looked at Sophia, and for the first time, got nervous. It was plenty warm outside, but he gave a small shiver when Sophia's hair blew in the wind.

"Yeah," Ford shrugged off the feeling, "Bellatrix has a twisted view of what a true Slytherin wizard is supposed to be. Voldemort's dead, she's just deluded with her own fancies of power."

((Sorry it took me so long to answer.))

After taking in a breath and letting it back out, Sophia looked over at Ford. Her golden-eyed gaze penetrated him, as if she was looking inside of him. She stared at him for a few moments before her look changed to one of calm. “So, you fancy Quidditch? I saw you at tryouts and you did quite well. Had you ever played before you got here?”

"Nope, I just practiced a lot on my own, I had never imagined flying around on a broom," Ford shrugged, "You did good yourself."

“Thank you. I am a bit upset at not getting captain, but I’ll move on.” Sophia looked away from Ford, out toward the lake, and then back to Ford. “So how did you do on your exams?”

"I got perfects on all of them but Herbology, because I said Giles got stoned, not pressed, to death," Ford said dourly, as if he was amazed at the gall the man had in getting pressed to death, as opposed to stone.

Sophia seemed a bit surprised by this, in a good way. "How strange, I missed the same question and also got perfects on everything else." She looked at Ford with a strange expression, seeming to examine him with it.

"Strange indeed," Ford nodded, "I cannot wait until when we can choose our own courses. I'm going to take Ancient Runes, what about you?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back