Ford & Sophia

Ford's head cocked to the other side after Sophia spoke. He considered prying it out of her, but she would let things come when she was ready, he guessed. He picked up his wine glass and took a large drink of it, "I have never seen one," he confirmed, "All I know is that they are magical creatures that clean and cook."

Sophia set her half empty glass of wine on the table and looked to Ford, seeming much more relaxed than normal. "They are magical creatures, and not only do they cook and clean, they obey their masters' every command, no matter what it is. House elves are very dedicated and loyal creatures. Traditionally they belong to family houses, although they do belong to places like Hogwarts as well. They can only be set free if they are given clothing by their master. Although most house elves prefer to live in servitude than freedom. My family has a few house elves, they are very helpful."

"I imagine they would be," Ford nodded drained the glass of wine. He was starting to feel it; he was beginning to feel lose and relaxed. He put the glass down and it instantly refilled. "What are they like, house elves? Personality-wise?"

As she was feeling quite relaxed herself, Sophia decided it best not to have anymore wine for the moment. "Well, like people they all have different personalities. But generally speaking house elves want to do anything to help and please their masters. If mistreated, they tend to not be very nice about it, but they still are obligated to serve you. Mother and Father treat our house elves very well, and they are very grateful and serve us well in return."

"It must be better than having human servants," shrugged Ford, "More than once my mother had to fire a servant because they were leaking information to foreign governments. Of course, they got more than just fired. They were tried for treason." Ford's face was impassive, as if this was part of his normal, every day life. "So, my mother essentially made them part of the family, giving them an emotional connection to her and I. Most were less likely to leak information, or do a bad job in general." Ford stopped and considered something for a moment, once again stroking the invisible goatee, "How does one go about obtaining house elves. They seem to be inherited, rather than obtained otherwise."

Sophia listened with interest as Ford talked of having human servants, as this was a very odd concept to her. After he posed his question, a confused look came over face. "I do not know for sure where one would acquire a house elf. We have just always had ours. They have been serving my family for years. I know there is a department in the Ministry of Magic involving them." Sophia sort of trailed off, unsure of where else to go with that.

After taking a sip of her wine, Sophia set the glass back onto the table and looked to Ford. "So your mother had human servants who leaked information? What sort of information did they leak?"

Sophia seemed very eager to learn about muggle politics and culture, and Ford was eager to talk about it. "Well, for the most part, it was personal things. They would sell potentially slanderous information to the press, like when my mother would get angry and occasions like that. But, more often than we would have liked, a servant would eavesdrop or go through my mother's desk and try and get that information to foreign governments. Sometimes we caught them, others we could only suspect. The one's we couldn't prove were fired anyway for other reasons." Ford smirked at this last piece of information.

"It seems so odd, human servants. Did your mother feed them, give them a place to stay? Were they bound to you? Why would they want to leak information?" As Sophia had never been allowed to learn about muggle culture from her mother, aside from what she absolutely needed to know, she had many questions, which all came pouring from her in her relaxed state.

Ford continued smirking, but hid it quickly and cocked his head. She really doesn't know anything about muggles. He mused to himself.

"Well, the Irish government paid them to work in my mother. Their job was to cook, clean, take care of me as a child, fix things like the electronics and plumbing," Fird didn't think about the fact that Sophia didn't know what electronics were until he said it. "I'll explain that later." He said quickly, before continuing, "They lived in their own homes, and lived of their own free will. Though, they were exposed to extensive background checks before they worked in our house, to see if they were loyal to the Irish government, if they had a criminal past, and things of that sort. If they wanted to quit, they could, but they'd again have to submit to checks and questioning." He thought for a moment, remembering Sophia's final question. "And they leaked information usually for money. Someone would offer them a large sum of cash, or they would see the potential to get some, and they would go for it. Because, like I said, they live of their own free will, and can do what they want."

Sophia drank in everything Ford said, nodding occasionally. Once he was finished, she went back to questions. "Elictronecks?" Sophia hoped she was saying it right. "What are those?"

Ford almost grinned, "Electronics are a thing that muggles use. It's kind of hard to explain with going into muggle sciences. But the end results are that muggles can do many things that magic cannot even do." Ford paused for a moment, feeling this explination to be entirely inadequate, "A very simple muggle electronic tool is a flashlight. It does the same thing that 'lumos' achieves, it uses things called batteries to produce electricity, which powers the flashlight and causes it to create light."

Sophia hung on Ford's every word. She found muggles fascinating and hungered for information on them. However, during Ford's explanation, Sophia looked to Ford's lips and became entranced with them, finding herself wanting to kiss him more and more with each word. A very strange look was on her face as she stared at Ford's lips, despite the fact that he had finished talking some moments ago.

Ford, when he had finished speaking, noticed Sophia staring at him, almost hungrily. He once again noted how beautiful she was. He cocked his head and looked at her, her black hair fell over her shoulders and her golden eyes shined brilliantly. "Do...you, uh, want to go and sit on the couch again?" He asked distractedly.

As Ford asked his question, Sophia snapped back to reality. Looking now at Ford, instead of just his lips, she smiled slightly. "Yes, I am done eating. The couch is much more comfortable than these chairs." With that Sophia stood and walked over to the couch, taking the spot she had been sitting in prior to eating.

Ford smiled slightly and walked over to the couch and sat next to Sophia. The firelight danced across her features, and Ford was entranced. She's beautiful... He thought. He cocked his head to the side and put his arm around Sophia, leaning in to kiss.

Sophia looked at Ford with a mostly blank expression on her face, although she was actually sort of happy on the inside. She closed her golden eyes as she kissed him back, pulling away after a few moments. "Ford, it is getting late."

Ford hid his sadness at this statement. He was actually enjoying the presence of another human being. "Alright. Shall we walk back to the common room?" He cocked his head to the side.

"Yes, I think that is a good idea." With that Sophia stood and gathered her things, slinging her bag over her shoulder. She walked over to the door and waited for Ford to lead the way.

Ford stood and gathered his things and walked towards the door. He tried to open it, but it wouldn't budge. He shook the door handle, but to no avail. Then he heard faint voices talking. They were coming from the far side of the door, he listened but he couldn't make anything out.

The voices faded until for could not hear them anymore, then the door clicked and Ford could open it. He turned to Sophia and opened the door to let her out.

Sophia watched Ford unable to open the door, a blank expression hiding the confusion and concern she was feeling. She let out a sigh of relief as the door finally opened, walking out the door before Ford. She walked slowly once she reached the hallway, so that Ford could catch up.

Ford caught up with Sophia easily, "The door stayed shut when there were people out here who would see us." He said as they walked towards the stairs.

"What a clever room," Sophia remarked as they walked down the hall, heading toward the Dungeons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back