Open Floating up High

Iris van Houten

Whimsical | Quiet | Thoughtful | Inner Eye Asst.

OOC First Name
Daphne
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Gay (Rosalind)
Wand
Knotted 14 Inch Sturdy Hawthorn Wand with Augurey Tail Feather Core
Open after Jess posts with Rose

Iris had been trying her best to study, to focus on her classes and her homework, but her mind kept drifting. Instead of focusing on her notes, she had been absently levitating her quill and watching it as it floated up high. She had been feeling uneasy lately. Partly about her future, as her Divination skills seemed to stay as rusty as ever, and partly about Emma, who seemed to be drifting away from her more and more. She sometimes felt like she didn't do enough as well. She was in Heta Omega, but only because Emma had dragged her into the club. She was also part of the Arts club, but was honestly considering leaving it as she had mostly decided to join it to spend time with Lars. But Lars was graduating at the end of the year, as strange and uncanny as that felt. Iris knew she was overdue a talk with her Head of House about all her doubts, but she had been avoiding it a bit. And there was also a small part of her that was a little sad about not being picked as prefect. A part of her had hoped to continue the family tradition started by Fleur and continued by Lars, even if she was also happy for Poppy and knew she deserved it completely. She sighed softly and let the feather drift a little higher.

Rose had been wandering around by herself for a little while, bored and alone. She eventually made her way to the student lounge, blinking as she spotted one of the Van Houten twins. Iris, probably, Emma was always a bit... louder. Rose debated about going over, but after a minute she decided to go ahead and risk it. She walked over to Iris, hands in her pocket. "Hi," she greeted softly, unsure the other girl would even speak to her.

As someone spoke to Iris, her focus wavered and her feather floated down a bit. She looked up at the girl who had spoken to her, seeing Rose Lockwood there. She smiled, letting the feather float gently down to the table. "Hi Rose." She said, smiling at the blonde. Their older siblings were close friends, but Iris and Rose had never been very close. Iris had always thought she was pretty interesting, though. Emma was her roommate, but it didn't seem like they were very close either. Things were maybe a bit awkward between them now, as they were technically on different sides of the whole Nicole and Connor conflict, but Iris wasn't feeling good about that in general. She didn't want to be on any side, and it seemed like Nicole didn't appreciate her attempt at being neutral. Iris had tried not to be hurt by how the Slytherin was now avoiding her, but it did sting that she was hanging out with Emma a lot more now. It was clear that Nicole was angry, or at least disappointed, with her. But she hadn't come out to say so, and Iris knew she would deny it if she asked. "How have you been?" Iris asked the girl.

Rose smiled softly, a little optimistic. "It's going alright," she replied, shifting a little on her feet. "Is it alright if I sit with you?" She asked, nodding to the opposite chair but not jumping to push her way in. Rose was used to spending her time alone, and if she was being completely honest she was sort of expecting Iris to laugh in her face and tell her to bugger off. She hoped not, though, she had always kinda liked the Van Houtens in general, though quietly Lars was her favorite. Especially with that lip piercing. And she was a little impressed he was so openly dating Blake, of all people. She waited quietly for Iris to answer, not wanting to impose.

Iris briefly thought of Nicole and what she would think if she saw Rose sitting with her, but then dismissed it. "Sure." She said firmly, sounding more sure of herself than she felt. "I feel like it's been ages. How are you liking fifth year?" She asked. "How's Lily? I think Lars is freaking out about graduation a bit, honestly."

Rose relaxed when Iris said she could sit with her and pulled out a chair opposite. She smiled softly at the question. "Lily is worried. She's trying not to, but I can see it." Rose tucked her hair behind her ear. "It's odd thinking that they're graduating so soon." She looked a little sad at the thought. Lily was really all Rose had. Every friendship she'd tried to build had always gone wrong, and she was honestly starting to feel like maybe there was something wrong with her.

"Hey, Iris, um... I want to apologize," she spoke softly, shifting in her seat. "I shouldn't have said anything at the study session. I don't... always think before I do things," she gave the girl a shy smile, before sighing and looking away. She fully expected Iris to just yell at her or throw something.

Iris nodded when Rose said her sister was worried, even if she was trying not to be. "Makes sense, I think I would be worried too." She said, frowning a bit. It really wasn't that far off that they would be in their final year. The thought was strange. She was confused when the other girl said she wanted to apologize, but then she explained and Iris understood. The Ravenclaw shook her head. "No need to apologize to me. It was a big mess." SHe said. "I don't think you were wrong to speak up. I don't think it was as black and white as either Connor or Nicole wanted to claim." She said. "But I don't think Nicole appreciated my attempts at being a neutral party much." She muttered more quietly.

Rose sighed softly, relieved when Iris didn't seem to be mad. She gave another half hearted smile when Iris said that Nicole hadn't appreciated it. She hesitated a moment before reaching out to place her hand over Iris' hand. "I think Nicole will forgive you," she offered softly. "She'd be silly not to."

Iris felt a bit disloyal, talking about Nicole like this. They were still friends, weren't they? But as Rose reassured her, Iris felt a bit better. "I hope so." She said quietly. But she also knew Nicole could be very stubborn, and it was difficult to talk about the problems when Nicole wouldn't even admit she was mad. "It feels like things have quieted down." She added, she had been glad that it seemed like Eric Holland was keeping his distance from their year group for now.

Rose nodded, pulling her hand back and fiddling with her hair. She wasn't really sure what to say now; in all her years, Rose still felt like she hadn't made any friends at school. Lily had an abundance- Jasper, Lars, Elliot. Lily had even somehow made up with that Clifton boy and seemed to be friends with him again. Lily had even dated twice now, and Rose... well, she tried not to think about what had happened with Apollo. She bit her lip, looking up at Iris. "So, um, I wasn't interrupting anything, was I? I can go, if you'd like," she offered, not seeing much more reason for her to be there. Iris probably had better things to do than to talk to Rose, anyway.

A silence fell between them and Iris focused on her feather again, making it float into the air and float in a slow circle. She blinked at Rose as she asked if she was interrupting, then smiled and let the feather float over to her, tickling the top of her head. "Not at all, I wasn't doing anything important." She assured her. "And I enjoy talking to you." She added. "But if you have to go, that's alright." She said then, not wanting Rose to feel obligated to stay either.

Rose couldn't help but giggle softly as the feather tickled her, ducking automatically and giving Iris a shy smile. "That's... not a reaction I'm used to getting," she admitted softly. "I... would like to say, but I promised to meet my sister and try some new treat she's made," Rose bit her lip, hesitating a moment. "Maybe... we can spend more time together later," Rose offered shyly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back