First Years, Lesson Six

It was already the end of semester. Gabrielle was astounded at how time flew. It had been a pretty full on semester for the first years - they'd hit the ground running with a few different major parts of magical history that they ought to be aware of, and they'd all managed to make it to Christmas without her actually throwing anyone in the lake. Yet. Still, she figured she ought to be at least somewhat nice to the students, and accordingly she'd put out a table with a few snacks for the students, including pitchers of juice and water and some sandwiches and fruit as well as chocolates and cupcakes. She at least had to sort of try and make the snack table somewhat healthy (although she knew the students would probably go for the sweets).

"Hello, everyone," Gabrielle greeted, nodding at the students as they entered. "Please feel free to take some snacks. I don't have chocolate frogs, though. I'm wanting you to rely on proper sources." She waited as they milled around before taking their seats, pulling out her notes. "I'm not going to give you a lecture today, this is a revision class. Let's just go over a couple of questions that you might see on your exam and then I'll leave you to it."

Gabrielle cleared her throat, looking at her notes. "Okay, so, easy one to start. Who did we start with, the most famous wizard of all time, anyone?" She waited as someone answered, and nodded. "Good work. Let's make it a bit harder. How about...who were the three women named as witches by the Williams children in Salem?" She let the students go through the answers, and grinned. "Well done. If you had a bit of trouble remembering those, I'd say now's a good time to have a good look over your notes on the witch trials." She gave them a bit of a conspiratorial look. "The boy who lived, what was his name?" She gave a nod as that, too, was answered, and she put her notes back down as she sunk into her chair.

"Alright, I'll leave you all to it. Now's a good time to go over your notes, have some snacks, talk amongst yourselves. Would prefer you to talk about what you've learned this semester but if you must talk about other things I'd ask you to keep it down." Gabrielle smirked as she sat back behind her desk, taking an apple slice from her plate and nodding to the students. "And I'll be right here for the class so if you have any questions or need any clarification at all, please come and ask me. I'm not going to be happy to answer your questions on the morning of the exam, so speak now or forever hold your peace." With that, she let the students amuse themselves for the rest of the class time. Hopefully they would be studying, but she knew she couldn't force them to. She did certainly appreciate the students who did, though.

Homework
RP the lesson. Bonus points to students answering questions (limit it to one per student, preferably people who haven't had a chance to answer questions yet!)

Nox entered the classroom and immediately spotted the snack table. He felt a grin tug at his lips at the sight of cupcakes and chocolates and made a beeline for them. As he took his seat, he listened to Professor Gabrielle’s opening remarks. The lesson felt more relaxed than usual, and he welcomed the chance to revisit some of the material in a less formal setting.

When Professor Moncrieffe asked questions from the semester, Nox didn’t answer one and instead listened to the answers provided by his classmates. As the class settled into their own conversations and revision, he appreciated the freedom to choose how to use the time. He flipped through his notebook, planning to review the sections he found more challenging, and occasionally glanced at Professor Moncrieffe to see if she was free to answer a few questions he had about the upcoming exam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back