First Years Lesson One (Slytherin & Ravenclaw)

Mallory had set up the classroom the way she liked, giving it a quick cleaning that morning before arranging her desk. Amara was curled up with Maxim underneath her large oak desk, fast asleep, and all of Mallory’s notes and lesson plans were arranged neatly on the desk itself, turned to face out to the rows of seats so she could sit and still supervise her students.

She had decorated the desk with a line of flowers, most of them shorter, creating a small barrier along the edge of the desk that she could still see over. She had taken care getting dressed that morning, her light powder blue robes swishing gently around her feet and her dark mahogany hair pulled back in a braided chignon.

She rose from her desk as the students filed in, a hand on the small of her back for support as her swelling tummy threw off her balance a bit, smiling kindly as the last of them settled in their seats. She clapped her hands lightly to get their attention, looking over the fresh young faces of the first years. “Dobroye utro, good morning my dears,” She greeted gently, her Russian accent a more subtle but still there. “My name is Professor Mallory Grayveson, and I’ll be your Professor until fifth year,” She raised a hand, the chalk raising to write out her name in an elegant script behind her.

Speaking to the children was very simple, and Mallory found herself relaxing. “I was born and raised in Saint Petersburg, Russia. I have two siblings, and I moved to Arrowtown here in New Zealand when I was eighteen, where I met and eventually married my husband.” She told them, leaning against the edge of her desk as she spoke. “My dear, would you please start us off by telling us your name, house, and something about yourself, and something about your wand?” She asked, motioning to a student and smiling kindly. She listened carefully to all of the given answers, smiling warmly at each student in turn. Her memory was excellent, and she took a mental note of every name and face in her class, and noting their wands. “Thank you,” She smiled warmly at her class.

She bit back a yawn and picked up her water bottle, taking a small drink, before she clapped her hands lightly. “Very good! Your wand is a part of you, an extension of your power and yourself. It’s important that you know about it, that you understand it’s properties and the power it can wield.”

Mallory pulled her chair over and sat down, lowering herself carefully and smiling at her students. “A Charm is a spell that adds certain properties to an object or creature. Charms are distinguished from transfigurations in that a charm adds or changes properties of an object; it focuses on altering what the object does as opposed to what the object is.” She explained. “I would like each of you to read the assigned chapter over the week between lessons. I will of course do a brief overview of the relevant chapter at the beginning of each lesson, but it will be much easier for you to take the time to study and understand on your own rather than trying to cram it into a single lesson.” Of course, if they were anything like her brother, and she assumed many of them were, they would wait until the last minute to do their reading.

"We will be learning spells, beginning next week with Lumos; the charm to cast a light from your wand, all the way up to your seventh year where you will progress onto casting your very own Patronus." She continued, pulling out her wand and casting a Patronus as she finished speaking, letting the Sphynx cat wander idly through the air for a few moments before letting it dissipate. “Of course, the more advanced magic will be taught by Professor Haden, to all of you that wish to continue your classes with him.”

Mallory folded her hands over her stomach, smiling fondly at all the children. “That’s all the time we have for today, my dears. Remember to do your reading, I’ve made you all a list of what chapters we’ll be covering this semester. Stop by my desk on your way out to collect your copy. My office is open after breakfast until dinner, if you have any questions about what you’ve read or would like a bit of extra tutoring, feel free to stop by.” She brushed her hair back. “Next week we’ll be going over the spell Lumos, and be sure not to forget your wands. Dasvidaniya,” She spoke fondly, and with a flick of her wrist the door opened again and she moved with her chair to sit at her desk instead, passing out the assigned reading and homework list with a smile as the children came to collect their papers before leaving.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Roleplay lesson for full marks
Introduce yourself for extra credit
Additional credit for answering the question

Reading List:

Lumos
Wingardium Leviosa
Finite
Accio
Depulso
Expelliarmus

Magne knew that going back to his parents had been a good and bad decision. Good in the sense that he loved being home, being with his parents was so good, but he also knew that the moment he got back it would mean a little re-learning of all his english. He hadn’t spoken a word of it while at home. His parents had tried to speak it with him but he’d always just responded in greek. But he knew he would get it back quicker than the first time around, it was all in his head mostly. But it did mean he was again feeling a little behind the curve. He was getting himself together, he gathered up books and notes and then headed out of the dorm, with everything he could need for this to be a good enough day.

Magne walked into the charms classroom and took a spot near the front of the room. He glanced at the professor as the woman got started. He had to lean in close and listen carefully to what the professor was saying, she had a slight accent which was a bit of a complication for him, but he was getting it. Then she was having them introduce themselves. Magne stood up at his turn, ”I am Magne Kleos,” he said, speaking his name in their respective language to pronounce them carefully, ”I am Ravenclaw, my wand is Phoenix tail inside, it for me, good at all,” he put the sentence together poorly, but he couldn’t find the right words for it. He sat down feeling a little frustrated but then listened to what others said. He nodded along with what was said, but had some trouble following along. He was glad that she had a copy of the reading guide and grabbed his one when he was able to leave the room.

Professor Grayveson waited at the top of the Charms classroom for the first lesson of the new semester. Alana had seen the professor around a little at the beginning of the year so she didn’t feel like a total stranger when she made her way into the classroom. She took her seat and listened as the woman introduced herself and then instructed each of the students to introduce themselves as well as telling something about themselves and their wand. Alana waited until it was her turn then she gave the Professor the information she wanted. “My name is Alana Cosgrove, I’m in Slytherin, I’m the youngest of three and my wand has an Erumpent Hide core,” She smiled at the woman and listened to the other students as they did the same.

Once everyone was finished introducing themselves Alana began to take notes as she told them a little about charms and what they would be learning about during the semester but it was a pretty brief introduction which Alana was grateful for. When the lesson was over she packed away her notes and made her way out of the classroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back