First Years, Lesson Four

Gabrielle had let her students know to dress more casually for this lesson - muggle clothes if they had them, or at least no robes. She was a little hesitant about taking such young students on a field trip, especially into the muggle world, but given the amount of lecturing they'd been subjected to this semester she figured they deserved a break. She knew she needed a break from the classroom as much as any of them. "I'm sure you're all clever enough to have figured out we're going on a trip today. Even I get sick of lecturing. So, since you can't apparate as yet, we need a way to get out of the school. Can anyone tell me what this might be?" she asked, gesturing to her sphynx statuette and nodding when a student gave the correct answer. "That's right, a portkey. If you've never taken one before, I'm so sorry, hope you haven't eaten recently. We're going to Te Papa Tongarewa, the museum of Aotearoa. It's in Wellington, and yes, it's a muggle museum. I expect you all to be on your best behaviour and blend in. No magic discussion until we're safely back. You must keep your wands away." Gabrielle was stern, but it wasn't out of malice. She did just want the trip to be a safe one.

"But you've been working hard this semester, and you deserve a break that I can at least write off as vaguely educational. You might hopefully learn a little more about this country, but at the very least you'll be getting out of the castle for a couple of hours." Gabrielle smirked, gesturing to the students to gather around. "Alright, I want you all to make sure you're touching the portkey, get at least a fingertip on it, and brace yourselves. Do not move your hand from it until we land. You'll need to wait for my okay to move once we land. Stick together." Within a couple of moments, once they were all ready, they were sucked through space and ended up in a clear spot nearby to the museum but private enough that they were not easily spotted. Which had been hard to find, but she'd looked around for a while to manage it. Gabrielle gave them a few moments to recover, especially the students who had never used a portkey before. Once they were ready to go, she made sure they were all together and led them through the museum. She thought better of letting them go off on their own while they were still only eleven and twelve and instead they went through as a tour group of sorts, letting the students stop to play with some of the interactive exhibits, marvel at the dinosaurs and megafauna, and making a point of stopping at the giant squid. They stopped to have some water and sit around in the harbour for a little while, enjoying the sunshine, before it was time to return to the school. Gabrielle hoped that the students could all at least find something interesting about the day out, even if it was just that they'd gotten the opportunity to go somewhere else and not worry about studying for a bit. She did probably bring the mood down in dismissing them reminding them to make sure they were studying, but it was her job, she supposed. What was a history professor if not a complete killjoy? At least she was a step up from Binns.

Homework
RP the lesson. The site for the museum is here: https://www.tepapa.govt.nz/
First poster to answer the question can get a bonus point.

Rosalind had thankfully packed some muggle clothes with her. She felt a little out of place walking the corridors while not wearing her robes, but that was okay. Coming to the classroom, she entered and took a seat, waiting for her other classmates to arrive. Soon they did, and the professor began speaking. Rosalind raised her hand to answer the question - "A portkey," she responded. They then all grabbed hold of the portkey and were transported to Wellington. Rosalind had been to Auckland Museum, but not the Wellington one, so she was intrigued. She was disappointed when she was led around and not let to go see whatever she wanted, but that was okay. The trip was mildly interesting, and Rosalind learned some new things about Māori history which was cool. She enjoyed the waterfront as well, but soon it was time to come back to Hogwarts. It had actually been kind of refreshing to have a break, Rosalind thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back