Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Engaged
Sexual Orientation
Bi (Eva)
Owl exchange between Melanie and James Holland, starting in September 2047
Hey James,

Just to start, this is Melanie. Your sister. I figured its best to start off with my name, rather than let you find out at the end of the letter, since I know this is a bit of a surprise. It's been a long time since we talked, and I know that's on me. I was angry, convinced you were siding with Vincent, and just didn't want anything to do with either of you. And then when I finally did again, I had no real idea how tos start contacting you again, so I let it be. I never wanted to admit Vincent was right about me, and getting in contact would mean having to admit to it. I shouldn't have dropped out, and I shouldn't have left you two. But the part of me that's still sixteen just hates the idea of letting Vincent know he was right, even two decades later.

I hope you don't mind that I'm writing you. I know it's a shock, and I know you have other things on your mind at the moment. But that's partly why I started writing this letter. I had no idea we were living in the same part of the world until I saw you in the papers. Well, it's not really the same part, but you're a lot closer than I expected you to be. I live in Australia with my two sons. Congratulations with your wife, she looks competent and smart, and you look less goofy than you used to. Also, your family looks beautiful from the few pictures I saw of your girls.

But here's my reason for writing. Your daughters attend Hogwarts in New Zealand, and my son Eric is going to attend the same school next year. This realization was finally the last drop for me to make contact with you, because our worlds were going to collide no matter what. Don't take this to mean that I didn't want to write you anyway, but this finally gave me a reason to stop avoiding it.

I'm not really sure how to say this next part without sounding like a bad mother, or like my son is some sort of horrible kid. He's not, and I would fight anyone who said he was. Eric is a sweetheart and a really caring kid, he just tends to hide it. He reminds me a lot of myself when I was a young teenager, you must remember how I got. Both my sons are aware of the connection between our families, and Eric (my oldest) has always (wrongfully) resented the lack of help/contact we got from my siblings. I have tried to explain to him that I was the one who cut contact and moved away, but he has it in his head that my brothers failed me in some way, ever since I explained why we don't have extended family we visit. He's protective of me, which is pretty sweet but also pretty unnecessary considering he's ten and I still cut the crusts off his sandwiches. Anyway. He might be a bit resentful towards your kids when he goes to school, and he might act on it. I'm not saying this to start some sort of family drama, and I will definitely talk to him before he goes, but Eric has a temper and I'm afraid he will say or do stuff he'll regret. I just want you and Claudia to know I'm not telling him things that aren't true or trying to pit our children against each other. He's not attending Hogwarts until next year, though, so I'm not even sure why I'm writing this now. I suppose the new school year starting has me thinking about next year, which seems alarmingly close all of a sudden.

Actually, I do know why I'm writing this now. Seeing your picture in the paper was really weird, James. In my brain you never grew older, but you clearly did. I know I've been a coward over these past decades, and a stubborn fool, but I would like to meet you again, if you want. It's okay if you don't, but I miss and have missed you for years you even if I didn't want to admit it to myself. A lot has happened for both of us, and I would like to catch up. I can't believe we both have kids that are (almost) Hogwarts age. Time really does fly, I always thought old people were just whiny and complaining about being old when they said things like that. Guess we're the old people now.

I'd prefer you don't mention this to Vincent just yet. Even if you don't reply back, I would like to keep this between us. Please.

Love,
Melanie Holland

Dear Melanie,

I can't believe I'm actually writing this. I can't believe I'm reading your handwriting. I thought I would never hear from you again. I've wanted to contact you for years, but I never knew how. And even if I had, it's difficult to put into words what a coward I've been. Whatever the circumstances, what Vincent did to you was wrong, and I was stupid enough to listen to him, and too scared to take a stance. I should have stood up for you. I should have been a better brother, I should have been there for you. I'm so sorry. I've regretted losing you every day for decades now.

I would love to see you, if you would want that. My work schedule is flexible and I'm able to travel, if you would prefer to meet somewhere close to your home. I've missed you so much, it would be wonderful to catch up. As for your son, I appreciate the warning. If there's anything I can do to make him more comfortable, let me know. (Should I bring him a present?) I want to know what you think we should tell our girls though, if he's going to be at Hogwarts next year. Should they be prepared for anything in particular from him?

I can't believe you have sons old enough to go to Hogwarts. I want to meet them too, and I want you to meet Claudia, and my daughters. Our oldest is a Prefect, and they're all wonderful, talented girls. You would absolutely love them. (Especially Phoebe, our second, she has a lot of your spirit!) You don't need need to worry about me talking to Vincent. I don't have a lot of contact with him anymore. His oldest has been around a lot recently though, she's teaching flying at Hogwarts. She's so much like you. (Drove Vince mental having Melanie 2.0. running around, but we adore her.) I won't tell Vincent or Grace (his daughter) anything until you're ready though.

I don't even know what to say anymore. I have a million questions. I want to know everything, and I want to tell you everything, but mostly, I just want to apologise. I was an idiot for letting Vincent ruin our family, and I regret every day not fighting for you. If you'll give me another chance to be your brother, I promise to do things right this time.

Love,
James Holland.

Dear Brother,

I'm going to be sappy, but only for a moment. I love that you wrote me back so quickly, thank you. I half expected to get no reply at all. I worried I would seem like I was only writing because your wife got famous, but I promise that's not it. I'm sorry for disappearing, James. I'm not sorry for standing up for myself against our brother, but I should have tried to contact you years ago. My stupid pride got in the way, and by the time that wasn't a factor anymore I had convinced myself you had moved on. It makes me happy to hear you say Vincent was wrong, I don't think you ever said that when we were younger. But you are a good brother, always have been. I promise I'm not mad at you.

I would love to see you too. Do you have grey hairs yet? I hope so, because I definitely found one the other day. I can take some time off work if I need, so there is no issue there. I don't mind meeting up in New Zealand instead, as my children will be living there once they get to school so I wouldn't mind getting a feeling of the place. I heard there's a village near the school. Perhaps we could meet up there? I don't think a present can hurt, but he might take it the wrong way. I will try my best to keep talking to him, though. My other son Connor will definitely appreciate a present, even if he wouldn't say so in front of Eric. He's a sweet boy, but lets his older brother lead him a lot more than I would like. They remind me of you and Vincent sometimes, which can be a little painful. I don't know if your girls should be too worried, I have a feeling Eric will avoid them if he can help it. Maybe a bit of talk, but nothing worse than that.

I would love for you to meet my kids, and I want to meet your family as well! As you may have gathered from my letter, I live alone with my sons. They are Hollands in name, as they both decided not to keep their father's last name a few years ago. He left them behind, so I can't blame them. But that's all things we can discuss at a later date. Let our reunion be full of good things, like embarrassing baby stories of our children. I'd be happy to meet your girls, and especially that Phoebe girl as she sounds like a lot of fun. Is it bad that I'm happy to hear you're not in contact with Vincent so much? I'm also a little shocked to realize that the baby he was about to have when I left is now a teacher. What happened to time? Is she really like me? I can't imagine wanting to be a teacher. Two kids is enough, thank you.

I think any other questions we both have should be said in person. I say we meet up. There's no reason to delay any longer. It wasn't just Vincent who ruined things, though. I could have given you some contact information at least so this could have happened earlier. But I needed some time to grow for myself, and I think I have. I will do things right too, and try to be less rash in my decisions.

I look forward to seeing your stupid face again.

Love, Melanie

Dear Melanie,

Of course I wrote you back quickly. I've been missing you for decades. And honestly, even if you were only writing because of Claudia, I would still prefer that to no contact. I really don't think you can call me a good brother though. I've regretted not standing up for you since the moment you left. I was never a good brother to you when we were young. I would love the chance to try now though.

Grey hairs!? Figures that's the first thing you ask about. I'm definitely starting to grey. I've been debating whether to go for the dignified slide into grey, or let my daughters pick a funny colour to dye it. The latter is tempting, but I don't think I would make the best impression on any dignitaries Claudia has to entertain. Brightstone sounds like the perfect place to meet, I can show you around a bit. The kids get to spend weekends there sometimes during the school year, so it'll give you a good idea of the area they'll be in for school. I'll bring the boys presents then, I want to get off on the right foot with them. If you have any particular suggestions of things they like, that would be helpful. (All of my children are girls, all I was buying for the youngest ones last few birthdays as kids were a mountain of Barbies, and I don't know how fond your boys are of those.)

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a rough time with relationships, but I'm so proud of you raising your boys. (Still can't really believe you have kids now!) I can't wait. I've got four kids worth of adorable baby stories, so you had better bring your best. I don't think it's bad to be glad I'm not talking to Vincent anymore. Really, I should have cut contact with him much sooner. I agree about Grace though, it's bizarre seeing her now as an adult. She teaches flying, she played Quidditch professionally for a while after graduating Beauxbatons. Vincent doesn't exactly approve, but she's her own woman now.

I agree that we should meet, as soon as possible. Let me know when you're able to take time off, and I'll meet you in Brightstone. I really can't believe this is happening. I can't wait.

Love,
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back