Feeling strangely mellow

James Bell

Wand
Yew Wand 13 1/2" Essence of Phoenix Feather
James walked around in the common room, getting increasingly bored. He didn't have any friends to talk to, he had never been good with making friends. His sister, Natasha was probably busy studying with her friends, and James didn't want to study at the moment.

Frustrated, he left the Slytherin common room, and went outside. For some strange reason, even though his mother was sick, he wasn't feeling as sad as usual. The same could not be said for Nat though, he remembered the last time he had seen his sister, in Herbology, she was on the verge of a breakdown!

James walked up to the lake, and kicked off his sneakers. He sat on the bank, and dipped his feet in the cold water. James stared out into the water, thinking...

Kirsty sat in her dorm bored of sitting around but couldnt think of anything to do. She looked out the window at the nice view of the lawn,lake and the gardens. Kirsty shoved her shoes on and made her way out to the lake, she was about to sit on the grass when she seen a boy around her age."Heya, im Kirsty.Mind if i join you?" She asked with a smile.

James looked up as a girl arrived. "Oh... sure." he said awkardly. He still wasn't used to talking to people, as he had spend most of the first term at home, by himself. "I'm James." he murmered. He thought the girl looked familier, he had probably seen her in a class or something before.

"Thanks."Kirsty said and took a seat."so what brings you out to the lake?"She asked smiling as she looked at the view.

"Not much, boredom being the main reason though." he said. James missed the term at home, but as his mother was sick, he had to go back to Hogwarts for the second term. James missed his dogs, Taco and Lollipop, all the goats and his mother and sister. He wondered what Charlotte would do if mother died. She was only four after all!

"I think that is the reason everyone comes out here." Kirsty said then said."Its a nice day isnt it."

James nodded. "Most probably." he siad, grinning. James shrugged, he didn't usually think about the weather, so he thought Kirsty's question slightly odd. "I s'pose." he muttered. He looked up at the sky. It was quite cloudy, and it looked like it might rain.

"So how are you enjoying classes?"Kirsty asked.

James screwed up his nose. "Uh, I hate them. Herbology wouldn't be too bad if the professor actually smiled every now and then though." he said. Actually, he loved Herbology, but Professor Styx took all the fun out of it, in his opinion anyway. When James was little, his parents often showed him magical plants and fungi.

Kirsty grinned and said."I preferred Herbology with the old Professor." She missed the old Professor and didnt like the new one

James nodded thoughtfully. He looked at Kirsty curiously. "What house are you in?" he asked. He thought she might be a Gryffindor or a Ravenclaw, but he wasn't that good at guessing.

"Im in Slytherin.What about you?"Kirsty asked.

"Oh!" James said, a little surprised. "I'm in Slytherin too." he said. He reckoned he had been put in the right house: his mother had been a Slytherin too. But his father had been in Ravenclaw, and before he died always had his head in some book or another.

"Are you in first year?" Kirsty asked.She thought he was but couldnt be 100% sure.

James nodded. "Yep, you?" he asked. He hadn't seen very many Slytherins around, but then again he didn't get out much.

"Yeah."Kirsty said and looked out across the lake.

"So..." James said, at a loss for words. A raindrop fell on his nose, and he looked up. It had started to rain! Any second the rain would start pouring down, and James and Kirsty would get soaked.

"So, i guess thats our que to go." Kirsty said and stood up.

James shrugged. "Why, a little rain never hurt anybody." he said. He didn't move, instead he watched all the other students running back to the castle.

"Okay."Kirsty said and took a seat back on the ground. She was only going because she thought James was going back."So, what are you doing for the breaks?"She asked.

"No idea. Actually, my sister and I might have to stay with some uncle we never met..." he said uneasily. If their mother did die, Nat and James would have to stay with their uncle, who was a muggle. James thought about his uncle, and the fact that he would already have two witches anyway, if he and Nat didn't have to go.

Still, Nat would probably be happy about it, she missed her cousins/best friends, Jasmin and Kelsia.a

"Oh ok."Kirsty said then asked."Do you have any siblings?"

"Yeah, my twin sister Natasha and my four year old sister, Charlotte." James said. "Plus all our pets." he added. His mother treated their dogs like people, so much it was scary.

"How many pets have you got?"Kirsty asked curiously.

James took a mock deep breath. "One horse, two dogs, three sheep, about a million goats, a rabbit, five birds, three cats and two mice." He said in one breath. For some reason his family had a way of making stray animals 'appear' at their house!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back